|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the importance of displaying the bloody bed sheet?
(a) It means that Horwendil is having an affair.
(b) It proves that Gerutha was not a virgin.
(c) It proves that any son born by Gerutha is from Horwendil.
(d) It means that Gerutha is sick.
2. Which of the following is NOT a name in Part 1?
3. What does Horwendil talk about on the trip after their wedding?
(a) He talks about how he will make a great king.
(b) He talks about who was and was not at their wedding.
(c) He talks about how beautiful Gerutha is.
(d) He talks about how fun the party was.
4. Why don't Gerutha and Horwendil have more children?
(a) They try, but Gerutha is unable to get pregnant.
(b) Gerutha does not want more children.
(c) They can't afford to have more children.
(d) Horwendil does not want more children.
5. Who is Sandro?
(a) Horwendil's childhood friend.
(b) Feng's squire.
(c) Ophelia's lover.
(d) Ona's brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Gerutha use the phrase ". . . no woman wants to be a mere piece of furniture, to be bartered for and then sat upon?"
2. In the springtime after Gerutha and Horwendil's wedding, what is happening to Rorik?
3. What is made clear about Horwendil's intentions with Gerutha?
4. Where do the names in Part 2 of the story come from?
5. Gerutha feels that her feelings for Amleth are inadequate as a mother. What does she believe is the source of this?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Horwendil's personality.
2. Describe how the conversation during the sleigh ride displays the difference in the personality between Horwendil and Gerutha.
3. Describe Feng's personality and character.
4. Name three supporting characters and describe their association with one of the main characters.
5. Describe Ophelia and why she is considered beautiful.
6. Where do the names come from in the story?
7. Describe Gerutha's physical appearance as a young woman when she is first introduced in the story.
8. Do you think that Horwendil is really interested in making Gerutha happy with their marriage? Why or why not?
9. What is disappointing about the name Amleth for Gerutha?
10. Describe how the songbirds, a gift from Horwendil, demonstrate the difference between the personalities of Horwendil and Gerutha.
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)