|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the importance of displaying the bloody bed sheet?
(a) It proves that any son born by Gerutha is from Horwendil.
(b) It means that Horwendil is having an affair.
(c) It means that Gerutha is sick.
(d) It proves that Gerutha was not a virgin.
2. What other event occurs on the same day Gerutha gives birth?
(a) Horwendil defeats and kills Fortinbras of Norway.
(b) Rorik dies.
(c) Horwendil leaves Gerutha for another woman.
(d) Horwendil becomes king.
3. How old is Gerutha on her wedding day?
(a) Seventeen years old.
(b) Eighteen years old.
(c) Thirty years old.
(d) Twenty years old.
4. Which of the following is a name in Part 1?
5. Where do the names in Part 3 of the story come from?
(a) From John Updike's sources.
(b) From Shakespeare's previous drama, since the story is a sequel.
(c) From the source used by Shakespeare, which was probably German in origin.
(d) From an old English reprint of the second edition.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rorik believe about love?
2. Who is Horwendil's squire?
3. Why does Gerutha feel snubbed by Horwendil on their wedding night?
4. What word best describes Feng´s feelings toward his bother Horwendil?
5. What does Gerutha notice about Rorik's face as he gives her his blessing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conversation Gerutha has with Corambus about her son Amleth.
2. Do you think that Horwendil is really interested in making Gerutha happy with their marriage? Why or why not?
3. Describe Gerutha on her wedding night.
4. How does Gerutha think that Feng and herself are in similar situations?
5. How does Horwendil and Gerutha's wedding night prove that Horwendil is not truly interested in Gerutha?
6. Describe the springtime for Gerutha; what things are changing in her life?
7. How does King Rorik try to convince his daughter that she will come to love Horwendil?
8. Describe Ophelia and why she is considered beautiful.
9. How does Gerutha respond to her father's apology before he dies?
10. Where do the names come from in the story?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)