|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the names in Part 2 of the story come from?
(a) From a different publisher's edition in 1890.
(b) From an adaptation that was printed in 1576.
(c) From Shakespeare.
(d) From John Updike's presumptions about the origin of names.
2. Which character starts the story as a wise councilor?
3. Which of the following is a name in Part 2?
4. How does Horwendil respond to Gerutha's thorniness?
(a) He becomes frusterated and leaves her.
(b) He loves her more.
(c) He becomes angry and violent.
(d) He is amused.
5. Why does Gerutha's back hurt during her wedding day?
(a) Because she hurt herself dancing.
(b) Because her dress is very heavy and she is wearing many jewels.
(c) Beacuse she had to sleep on the floor the night before.
(d) Because she hurt herself horseback riding.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rorik respond to his daughter´s strong opinion of marriage?
2. Who is Laertes?
3. Why does Feng leave Denmark?
4. What advise does Corambus give Gerutha to make her think less about her marriage?
5. When do Feng's thoughts over Gerutha become evident in the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Gerutha, Horwendil, Amblet, and Feng's names change in parts 2 and 3 of the story.
2. How does Horwendil and Gerutha's wedding night prove that Horwendil is not truly interested in Gerutha?
3. Describe the springtime for Gerutha; what things are changing in her life?
4. Describe why Feng feels he must leave Denmark.
5. How does Gerutha respond to her father's apology before he dies?
6. What is similar between Bathsheba, the falcon whose eyes are sealed, and the characters of Gerutha and Feng?
7. Describe Feng's personality and character.
8. Why do Horwendil and Gerutha fight over Amleth leaving for school?
9. Describe how the songbirds, a gift from Horwendil, demonstrate the difference between the personalities of Horwendil and Gerutha.
10. Do you think that Horwendil is really interested in making Gerutha happy with their marriage? Why or why not?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)