|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the situation with the songbirds reveal about Horwendil's personality?
(a) That he is passive and kind.
(b) That he is sweet and romantic.
(c) That he is kind and generous.
(d) That he is forceful and selfish.
2. What advise does Corambus give Gerutha to make her think less about her marriage?
(a) He tells her to read less and exercise more.
(b) He tells her to sleep more.
(c) He tells her to speak to Horwendil about her feelings.
(d) He tells her to stop gossiping and be a better wife.
3. Who does Gerutha confide in when she becomes worried about Amleth's moodiness?
(b) Her father.
(c) Her chambermaid.
4. Which of the following is a name in Part 2?
5. Where do the names in Part 3 of the story come from?
(a) From Shakespeare's previous drama, since the story is a sequel.
(b) From the source used by Shakespeare, which was probably German in origin.
(c) From an old English reprint of the second edition.
(d) From John Updike's sources.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character seems to agree with Amleth the most?
2. Which is evidence that Horwendil does not really love Gerutha?
3. Which character reflects on a difficulty in loving Hamlet?
4. What does Gerutha notice about Rorik's face as he gives her his blessing?
5. Which statement is true about Gerutha?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gerutha find disturbing about falconry?
2. How does Horwendil and Gerutha's wedding night prove that Horwendil is not truly interested in Gerutha?
3. Do you think that Horwendil is really interested in making Gerutha happy with their marriage? Why or why not?
4. What does Gerutha see as different about her father when he gives her his blessing?
5. Describe Ophelia and why she is considered beautiful.
6. How does King Rorik try to convince his daughter that she will come to love Horwendil?
7. What does Gerutha think of married women?
8. Describe the springtime for Gerutha; what things are changing in her life?
9. In what ways does Gerutha find Feng more interesting and desirable than Horwendil?
10. Describe Gerutha on her wedding night.
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)