|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Horwendil make the songbirds sing for Gerutha?
(a) He sings until they sing with him.
(b) He trains them with seeds for treats.
(c) He shakes the cages until they are frightened into singing.
(d) He releases them into the forest.
2. What is the important event that occurs in the springtime for Gerutha.
(a) She becomes queen.
(b) She goes to visit her mother.
(c) She throws an extravagent brithday party.
(d) She finds out she is pregnant.
3. Why does Rorik believe that Horwendil is a good match for his daughter?
(a) Horwendil is a brave and well-loved ruler.
(b) Horwendil is an excellent father.
(c) Horwendil is a rich merchant.
(d) Horwendil is a great athlete.
4. Which statement best describes Gerutha's attitude about marrying Horwendil?
(a) Overjoyed and excited.
(b) Reluctant and intolerant.
(c) Nervous and scared.
(d) Calm and quiet.
5. Which of the following is a name in Part 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why don't Gerutha and Horwendil have more children?
2. What does Corambus say about Amleth's moodiness?
3. Which of the following is NOT a name in Part 1?
4. What does Gerutha do to pass the sleigh trip after the wedding?
5. What advise does Corambus give Gerutha to make her think less about her marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe King Rorik's view of love and marriage.
2. Describe how Gerutha, Horwendil, Amblet, and Feng's names change in parts 2 and 3 of the story.
3. Describe why Feng feels he must leave Denmark.
4. Do you think that Horwendil is really interested in making Gerutha happy with their marriage? Why or why not?
5. Where do the names come from in the story?
6. What is disappointing about the name Amleth for Gerutha?
7. Describe Amleth as a baby and a boy.
8. How does Gerutha respond to her father's apology before he dies?
9. Describe the springtime for Gerutha; what things are changing in her life?
10. How does Gerutha think that Feng and herself are in similar situations?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)