|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Amleth like his father?
(a) Amleth is very brutish like his father.
(b) Amleth is a weak warrior.
(c) Amleth likes to hunt with his father.
(d) Amleth is very Jutish and behaves like a nobleman.
2. How long do guests stay at Elsinore for the wedding?
(a) One week.
(b) One month.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Two days.
3. Which statement best describes Gerutha's attitude about marrying Horwendil?
(a) Overjoyed and excited.
(b) Nervous and scared.
(c) Calm and quiet.
(d) Reluctant and intolerant.
4. What is unfair about how Rorik treats Horwendil compared to how he treats Feng?
(a) Rorik pays Horwendil double the money of Feng, although the brothers completed the same service.
(b) Rorik gives Horwendil a larger manor than Feng when the brothers come to visit.
(c) Rorik allows Feng to visit Gerutha more than Horwendil.
(d) Rorik allows Feng to hunt with his horses during the their visit.
5. What is made clear about Horwendil's intentions with Gerutha?
(a) He intends to marry her to increase his own position and wealth.
(b) He intends to be honest and trustworthy with her.
(c) He intends to be a good husband and ruler.
(d) He is interested in being a loving husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Horwendil as he becomes a more accomplished king?
2. Where do the names in Part 3 of the story come from?
3. Who does Gerutha confide in when she becomes worried about Amleth's moodiness?
4. Why does Gerutha feel snubbed by Horwendil on their wedding night?
5. How does Gerutha feel about the way Horwendil treats her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Horwendil and Gerutha's wedding night prove that Horwendil is not truly interested in Gerutha?
2. Describe how the conversation during the sleigh ride displays the difference in the personality between Horwendil and Gerutha.
3. Describe how the songbirds, a gift from Horwendil, demonstrate the difference between the personalities of Horwendil and Gerutha.
4. Name three supporting characters and describe their association with one of the main characters.
5. Where do the names come from in the story?
6. In what ways does Gerutha find Feng more interesting and desirable than Horwendil?
7. What is similar between Bathsheba, the falcon whose eyes are sealed, and the characters of Gerutha and Feng?
8. Describe Horwendil's personality.
9. Describe why Feng feels he must leave Denmark.
10. How does Gerutha respond to her father's apology before he dies?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)