|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the original ancient Hamlet legend come from?
(a) Historia Danica of Saxo Grammaticus.
(c) John Updike.
(d) Ancient greek mythology.
2. What does Corambus say about Amleth's moodiness?
(a) That Amleth is an angry boy and he show it as moodiness.
(b) That perhaps he is unbalanced or addled in the brain.
(c) That Amleth is very weak and so he is moody.
(d) That perhaps they are just roles he is trying on for size.
3. Who is Sandro?
(a) Horwendil's childhood friend.
(b) Feng's squire.
(c) Ophelia's lover.
(d) Ona's brother.
4. Why is the importance of displaying the bloody bed sheet?
(a) It proves that Gerutha was not a virgin.
(b) It proves that any son born by Gerutha is from Horwendil.
(c) It means that Horwendil is having an affair.
(d) It means that Gerutha is sick.
5. What words best describe Amleth as a baby and child?
(a) Energetic and sunny.
(b) Happy and simple.
(c) Quiet and slow.
(d) Sickly and disagreeable.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rorik attempt to change Gerutha's opinion of Horwendil?
2. Why does Feng leave Denmark?
3. At what age does Feng return to Denmark?
4. What does Feng give Gerutha as a gift during her visit?
5. What is made clear about Gerutha's opinion of Horwendil?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think that Horwendil is really interested in making Gerutha happy with their marriage? Why or why not?
2. Describe Horwendil's personality.
3. How does Horwendil and Gerutha's wedding night prove that Horwendil is not truly interested in Gerutha?
4. Describe Gerutha's prediction of Horwendil as a husband.
5. Why do Horwendil and Gerutha fight over Amleth leaving for school?
6. How does Gerutha respond to her father's apology before he dies?
7. Describe Ophelia and why she is considered beautiful.
8. Describe the conversation Gerutha has with Corambus about her son Amleth.
9. What is similar between Bathsheba, the falcon whose eyes are sealed, and the characters of Gerutha and Feng?
10. Where do the names come from in the story?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)