|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Feng leave Denmark?
(a) To flee his angry brother.
(b) To battle in other countries.
(c) To escape the temptation of Gerutha.
(d) To study in a university.
2. What is made clear about Horwendil's intentions with Gerutha?
(a) He intends to marry her to increase his own position and wealth.
(b) He intends to be a good husband and ruler.
(c) He intends to be honest and trustworthy with her.
(d) He is interested in being a loving husband.
3. Which character starts the story as a wise councilor?
4. How does Horwendil make the songbirds sing for Gerutha?
(a) He shakes the cages until they are frightened into singing.
(b) He sings until they sing with him.
(c) He releases them into the forest.
(d) He trains them with seeds for treats.
5. Where does the original ancient Hamlet legend come from?
(a) Ancient greek mythology.
(c) Historia Danica of Saxo Grammaticus.
(d) John Updike.
Short Answer Questions
1. The story is a prequel to what other famous drama?
2. What happened to Gerutha´s mother, Ona, when Gertrude was three years old?
3. What words best describe Gerutha as a wife?
4. Where do Gerutha and Horwendil go immediately after their wedding?
5. In what city does the Hamlet story have a history of being printed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gerutha think of married women?
2. Describe why Feng feels he must leave Denmark.
3. In what ways does Gerutha find Feng more interesting and desirable than Horwendil?
4. Where do the names come from in the story?
5. What is similar between Bathsheba, the falcon whose eyes are sealed, and the characters of Gerutha and Feng?
6. Describe the springtime for Gerutha; what things are changing in her life?
7. Describe Gerutha on her wedding night.
8. Describe Horwendil's personality.
9. How does Gerutha think that Feng and herself are in similar situations?
10. Why do Horwendil and Gerutha fight over Amleth leaving for school?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)