|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the names in Part 3 of the story come from?
(a) From the source used by Shakespeare, which was probably German in origin.
(b) From Shakespeare's previous drama, since the story is a sequel.
(c) From John Updike's sources.
(d) From an old English reprint of the second edition.
2. Why does Gerutha's back hurt during her wedding day?
(a) Because she hurt herself horseback riding.
(b) Because her dress is very heavy and she is wearing many jewels.
(c) Because she hurt herself dancing.
(d) Beacuse she had to sleep on the floor the night before.
3. How is Amleth like his father?
(a) Amleth likes to hunt with his father.
(b) Amleth is very Jutish and behaves like a nobleman.
(c) Amleth is a weak warrior.
(d) Amleth is very brutish like his father.
4. Why does Gerutha move back to Elsinore?
(a) To make Horwendil angry.
(b) To become queen.
(c) To take care of her father.
(d) To give birth to her son.
5. The story is a prequel to what other famous drama?
(a) The Twelfth Night.
(c) Romeo and Juliet.
(d) A Christmas Carol.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a name in Part 1?
2. How old is Gerutha on her wedding day?
3. What is made clear about Gerutha's opinion of Horwendil?
4. What does Horwendil talk about on the trip after their wedding?
5. Which is evidence that Horwendil does not really love Gerutha?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name three supporting characters and describe their association with one of the main characters.
2. Describe why Feng feels he must leave Denmark.
3. What does Gerutha see as different about her father when he gives her his blessing?
4. Describe your view of the history between King Rorik and Ona.
5. How does King Rorik try to convince his daughter that she will come to love Horwendil?
6. Describe how Gerutha, Horwendil, Amblet, and Feng's names change in parts 2 and 3 of the story.
7. In what ways does Gerutha find Feng more interesting and desirable than Horwendil?
8. What does Gerutha think of married women?
9. Describe King Rorik's view of love and marriage.
10. Describe Horwendil's personality.
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)