|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Horvendil's words, what is the cause of people suffering?
(a) Disrupting the flow of goodness from God to king to the people.
(b) People made victim of a bad king.
(c) People making bad decisions.
(d) People forced into bad situations.
2. What word best describes how Geruthe feels when she is with Fengon?
3. Who does Geruthe suggest as a good wife for Hamblet?
(a) A daughter of a royal cousin.
(b) Fengon's daughter.
(c) A foreign princess.
4. What is Gertrude's personal regret about her marriage and King Hamlet's death?
(a) That her husband didn't want more children.
(b) That her husband never saw her as the person she really was.
(c) That her husband never loved her.
(d) That her husband didn't confide in her.
5. What does Geruthe suggest to Fengon as a solution to their affections for each other?
(a) She suggests that they speak to Horvendil.
(b) She suggests they meet outside of the castle.
(c) She suggests that they never speak of this again.
(d) She suggests that Fengon should leave Denmark.
6. What does Claudius want Hamlet to do?
(a) Leave Denmark.
(b) Study at Wittenberg.
(c) Stay at Elsinore.
(d) Be kind to his mother.
7. What has Fengon made a vow of renunciation for?
(a) He had renounced his love for Geruthe.
(b) He had renounced his loyality to his brother.
(c) He had renounced the sight, sound, and scent of Geruthe.
(d) He had renounced his country.
8. When does Horvendil summon Fengon to inform him that the affair with Geruthe is common knowledge?
(a) Christmas time.
(b) The beginning of spring.
(c) The end of August.
(d) The end of October.
9. How does Ophelia describe Hamlet to Gertrude?
(a) He can be very slow to think and make decisions.
(b) He can be very short tempered and violent.
(c) He can be very moody and difficult to be around.
(d) He can be very sweet and romantic.
10. When do Gertrude and Claudius marry?
(a) Five days after King Hamlet's death.
(b) One year after King Hamlet's death.
(c) One month after King Hamlet's death.
(d) Five weeks after King Hamlet's death.
11. What is Geruthe's first response to hearing Fengon describe his vow?
(a) She leaves the room for air.
(b) She tries to make jest of it.
(c) She tells Fengon that she could never love him.
(d) She tells Fengon of her love for him.
12. Geruthe is now forty-seven years old. When was the last time Geruthe and Fengon have seen each other?
(a) Last night.
(b) Twelve years ago.
(c) Last week.
(d) One year ago.
13. What does Geruthe admit to doing with the falcon?
(a) Geruthe admits that she sold it for money.
(b) Geruthe admits that she accidentally let it fly away.
(c) Geruthe admits that she set it free.
(d) Geruthe admits that she let it die.
14. Why does Geruthe break the embrace with Fengon?
(a) She feels that their desire for each other is a sin.
(b) She is not accustomed to the affections of a man.
(c) She thinks that Fengon is only using her.
(d) She is not attracted to Fengon.
15. How does Gertrude feel about King Hamlet's death?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has King Hamlet been dead when Claudius is made king?
2. What does Horvendil intend to do with Fengon?
3. Who kills Horvendil?
4. How does Ophelia describe Hamlet's disposition to women?
5. What does Geruthe want from Fengon?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)