|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Fengon and Corambis speculate about how the king died?
(a) They suspect that the king ate something bad for lunch.
(b) They suspect that a roving theif attacked him.
(c) They suspect that he died of old age.
(d) They suspect that a serpent must have bit the king.
2. Where does Geruthe pass her time waiting in the lakeside lodge?
(a) In the bedroom of the tower.
(b) At the window looking for signs of travelers.
(c) Outside on the lake.
(d) In the kitchen cooking in preparation.
3. What does Geruthe ask of Corambis?
(a) For the use of his horse and carriage.
(b) For the use of his country house.
(c) For advice on conspiring against the king.
(d) For advice on Ophelia.
4. What doesn't Horvendil like about his son's chosen area of study?
(a) That it will make him a poor husband.
(b) That it is not useful.
(c) That it is not congruent with the beliefs of the church.
(d) That it will make him a weak king.
5. Why does Geruthe respond the way she does to Fengon's kiss?
(a) She is scared that Fengon will not love her back.
(b) She is not attracted to Fengon.
(c) She is worried about the sin she is committing.
(d) She wants more from Fengon.
6. What is the first present that Fengon gives Geruthe when they meet for the second time?
(a) A new horse.
(b) A cloisonny pendant.
(c) A silk scarf.
(d) A beautiful doll.
7. When do Gertrude and Claudius marry?
(a) One month after King Hamlet's death.
(b) Five weeks after King Hamlet's death.
(c) One year after King Hamlet's death.
(d) Five days after King Hamlet's death.
8. What is Gertrude's personal regret about her marriage and King Hamlet's death?
(a) That her husband didn't want more children.
(b) That her husband didn't confide in her.
(c) That her husband never loved her.
(d) That her husband never saw her as the person she really was.
9. What does Horvendil intend to do with Corambis?
(a) Execute him.
(b) Torture him.
(c) Send him into exile.
(d) Promote him in court.
10. What gift does Fengon give Geruthe that changes her mind about having an affair?
(a) A diamond ring.
(b) A falcon.
(c) A silk tunic.
(d) A chalice.
11. Why does Corambis tell Fengon the king's afternoon plans?
(a) So that Fengon can plan a good time to kill Horvendil.
(b) So that Fengon can meet with Geruthe one last time.
(c) So that Fengon can plan a chance to talk again with Horvendil.
(d) So that Fengon can help Corambis escape the castle.
12. What are Geruthe's real intentions with Corambis' favor?
(a) To run away from Denmark.
(b) To see Hamblet.
(c) To read books on Christianity.
(d) To meet with Fengon.
13. How long has King Hamlet been dead when Claudius is made king?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Two days.
(c) Two months.
(d) Two years.
14. How does Horvendil describe Fengon in the audience chamber?
(a) Sulky and inferior.
(b) Strong and independent.
(c) Dark and murderous.
(d) Stupid and slow.
15. How does Gertrude feel about King Hamlet's death?
Short Answer Questions
1. Horvendil asks Fengon why he has always had such hatred. How does Fengon respond to this question?
2. What does Fengon do that starts his meeting with Geruthe badly?
3. What is Geruthe's first response to hearing Fengon describe his vow?
4. What does Horvendil intend to do with Fengon?
5. What language inspires Fengon's choice of name?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)