|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first present that Fengon gives Geruthe when they meet for the second time?
(a) A beautiful doll.
(b) A silk scarf.
(c) A cloisonny pendant.
(d) A new horse.
2. How long has King Hamlet been dead when Claudius is made king?
(a) Two years.
(b) Two months.
(c) Two days.
(d) Two weeks.
3. What language inspires Fengon's choice of name?
4. Why is Claudius angry with the young Hamlet after King Hamlet dies?
(a) Because Hamlet will not come to see Gertrude.
(b) Because Hamlet thinks he should be king.
(c) Because Hamlet was late and left quickly from his father's funeral.
(d) Because Hamlet will not return to Denmark.
5. How does Gertrude feel about King Hamlet's death?
6. What is Geruthe's intention with Fengon the third time she meets with him?
(a) She plans to bring him to the king for treason.
(b) She plans to put a stop to their secret meetings.
(c) She plans to tell him to leave Denmark.
(d) She plans to kiss him.
7. Why does Corambis agree to giving Geruthe what she asks for?
(a) Because Geruthe asked so nicely.
(b) Because he remembers the girl she was before she married Horvendil.
(c) Because he is aways loyal to the king.
(d) Because Corambis is in love with Geruthe.
8. What does Geruthe want from Fengon?
(a) She wants tangible things including presents.
(b) She wants his fame and fortune.
(c) She wants his undying love.
(d) She wants him to leave Denmark.
9. How does Ophelia describe Hamlet to Gertrude?
(a) He can be very short tempered and violent.
(b) He can be very slow to think and make decisions.
(c) He can be very sweet and romantic.
(d) He can be very moody and difficult to be around.
10. What do Fengon and Corambis speculate about how the king died?
(a) They suspect that a serpent must have bit the king.
(b) They suspect that a roving theif attacked him.
(c) They suspect that he died of old age.
(d) They suspect that the king ate something bad for lunch.
11. What is Horvendil's primary concern about his brother Fengon?
(a) That Fengon covets the throne.
(b) That Fengon is in love with his wife.
(c) That Fengon will kill Hamblet.
(d) That Fengon is of bad health.
12. What word best describes how Geruthe feels when she is with Fengon?
13. Why is Ophelia summoned to see Gertrude?
(a) To see if she is witty enough for Hamlet.
(b) To see if she is beautiful.
(c) To see if she is interested in studying with Hamlet.
(d) To see how far her relationship with Hamlet has gone in the past.
14. Why does Geruthe think that Corambus's daughter is a good match for Hamblet?
(a) She is witty and interesting.
(b) She is strong and outspoken.
(c) She is delicate and shy.
(d) She is sporty and fun.
15. What does Geruthe do immediately after she is kissed by Fengon in the royal palace?
(a) She kisses Fengon again.
(b) She laughs with happiness.
(c) She tells Fengon that she loves him.
(d) She pulls away from Fengon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Geruthe suggest as a good wife for Hamblet?
2. What does Geruthe suggest to Fengon as a solution to their affections for each other?
3. Why does Geruthe break the embrace with Fengon?
4. In Horvendil's words, what is the cause of people suffering?
5. Horvendil asks Fengon why he has always had such hatred. How does Fengon respond to this question?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)