|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What story does Fengon tell Geruthe in their first secret meeting?
(a) he tells her a story about his brother Horvendil.
(b) He tells her a story about love and war.
(c) He tells her a story about his mother.
(d) He tells her a story about Byzantium.
2. How does Fengon enter the lodge to meet Geruthe?
(a) Through the kitchen door.
(b) At the front door.
(c) Through the roof on accident.
(d) Through the window of the bedchamber.
3. What is Geruthe's first response to hearing Fengon describe his vow?
(a) She tells Fengon that she could never love him.
(b) She tells Fengon of her love for him.
(c) She tries to make jest of it.
(d) She leaves the room for air.
4. What does Horvendil intend to do with Corambis?
(a) Torture him.
(b) Send him into exile.
(c) Promote him in court.
(d) Execute him.
5. What is Gertrude's personal regret about her marriage and King Hamlet's death?
(a) That her husband didn't want more children.
(b) That her husband never loved her.
(c) That her husband didn't confide in her.
(d) That her husband never saw her as the person she really was.
6. In Horvendil's words, what is the cause of people suffering?
(a) Disrupting the flow of goodness from God to king to the people.
(b) People making bad decisions.
(c) People forced into bad situations.
(d) People made victim of a bad king.
7. How does Ophelia describe Hamlet to Gertrude?
(a) He can be very slow to think and make decisions.
(b) He can be very moody and difficult to be around.
(c) He can be very sweet and romantic.
(d) He can be very short tempered and violent.
8. How does Horvendil describe Fengon in the audience chamber?
(a) Strong and independent.
(b) Stupid and slow.
(c) Dark and murderous.
(d) Sulky and inferior.
9. Geruthe is now forty-seven years old. When was the last time Geruthe and Fengon have seen each other?
(a) One year ago.
(b) Twelve years ago.
(c) Last week.
(d) Last night.
10. When do Gertrude and Claudius marry?
(a) One month after King Hamlet's death.
(b) Five weeks after King Hamlet's death.
(c) One year after King Hamlet's death.
(d) Five days after King Hamlet's death.
11. Why does Geruthe summon Corambis on a day that the king is out?
(a) Because she thinks Corambis would tell the king if he were in the castle.
(b) Because she thinks that the king would interfer in their conversation.
(c) Because she is afraid that the king would be curious about their conversation.
(d) Because she is afraid Corambis will not see her if the king is near.
12. What does Geruthe ask of Corambis?
(a) For the use of his horse and carriage.
(b) For the use of his country house.
(c) For advice on conspiring against the king.
(d) For advice on Ophelia.
13. What is Horvendil's primary concern about his brother Fengon?
(a) That Fengon covets the throne.
(b) That Fengon is of bad health.
(c) That Fengon will kill Hamblet.
(d) That Fengon is in love with his wife.
14. What do Fengon and Corambis speculate about how the king died?
(a) They suspect that the king ate something bad for lunch.
(b) They suspect that he died of old age.
(c) They suspect that a serpent must have bit the king.
(d) They suspect that a roving theif attacked him.
15. What does Horvendil intend to do with Fengon?
(a) Execute him.
(b) Torture him.
(c) Make him the court jester.
(d) Seize his assests and banish him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has the affair between Geruthe and Fengon taken place when the king finally finds out?
2. Why does Geruthe think that Corambus's daughter is a good match for Hamblet?
3. Why does Geruthe want to get rid of Corambis?
4. What doesn't Horvendil like about his son's chosen area of study?
5. Why does Geruthe break the embrace with Fengon?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)