|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Fengon and Corambis speculate about how the king died?
(a) They suspect that a roving theif attacked him.
(b) They suspect that a serpent must have bit the king.
(c) They suspect that the king ate something bad for lunch.
(d) They suspect that he died of old age.
2. What is the sin that Fengon believes Geruthe and himself have committed in their affair?
(a) That they have been unloyal.
(b) That they have been dishonest.
(c) Breaking the laws of love and nature.
(d) Breaking Geruthe's marriage vows.
3. What is the first present that Fengon gives Geruthe when they meet for the second time?
(a) A beautiful doll.
(b) A cloisonny pendant.
(c) A new horse.
(d) A silk scarf.
4. When does Horvendil summon Fengon to inform him that the affair with Geruthe is common knowledge?
(a) Christmas time.
(b) The end of October.
(c) The beginning of spring.
(d) The end of August.
5. What doesn't Horvendil like about his son's chosen area of study?
(a) That it is not congruent with the beliefs of the church.
(b) That it is not useful.
(c) That it will make him a weak king.
(d) That it will make him a poor husband.
6. What has Hamblet studied at the university?
(b) Scientific method.
7. Why does Fengon come to see Geruthe at the lodge?
(a) He intends to murder Geruthe.
(b) He intends to break the romance with Geruthe.
(c) He wants to persue his romance with Geruthe.
(d) He wants to conspire to take the throne.
8. When Fengon is summoned to the audience chamber, what topic does the king first speak of?
(a) His affair with Geruthe.
(b) Domestic affairs.
(c) The future of the throne.
(d) The weather.
9. How does Gertrude feel about King Hamlet's death?
10. Why does Fengon race to Lokisheim and then return to Elsinore?
(a) He must tell his servents to hide his posessions.
(b) He must hide evidence from the king.
(c) He must retrieve weapons.
(d) He needs to retrieve a poison to kill the king.
11. What does Geruthe suggest to Fengon as a solution to their affections for each other?
(a) She suggests they meet outside of the castle.
(b) She suggests that they speak to Horvendil.
(c) She suggests that Fengon should leave Denmark.
(d) She suggests that they never speak of this again.
12. What is Gertrude's personal regret about her marriage and King Hamlet's death?
(a) That her husband never loved her.
(b) That her husband didn't want more children.
(c) That her husband didn't confide in her.
(d) That her husband never saw her as the person she really was.
13. What gift does Fengon give Geruthe that changes her mind about having an affair?
(a) A chalice.
(b) A silk tunic.
(c) A diamond ring.
(d) A falcon.
14. What is Geruthe's intention with Fengon the third time she meets with him?
(a) She plans to put a stop to their secret meetings.
(b) She plans to kiss him.
(c) She plans to bring him to the king for treason.
(d) She plans to tell him to leave Denmark.
15. How does Ophelia describe Hamlet's disposition to women?
(a) Hamlet despises women in general.
(b) Hamlet loves all women.
(c) Hamlet warms to the idea of love very slowly.
(d) Hamlet trusts women too much.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Fengon made a vow of renunciation for?
2. What does Geruthe admit to doing with the falcon?
3. What does Geruthe do immediately after she is kissed by Fengon in the royal palace?
4. Where does Geruthe pass her time waiting in the lakeside lodge?
5. Why does Geruthe summon Corambis on a day that the king is out?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)