|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Geruthe is now forty-seven years old. When was the last time Geruthe and Fengon have seen each other?
(a) Last week.
(b) One year ago.
(c) Last night.
(d) Twelve years ago.
2. What story does Fengon tell Geruthe in their first secret meeting?
(a) He tells her a story about love and war.
(b) he tells her a story about his brother Horvendil.
(c) He tells her a story about Byzantium.
(d) He tells her a story about his mother.
3. How does Horvendil describe Fengon in the audience chamber?
(a) Dark and murderous.
(b) Stupid and slow.
(c) Strong and independent.
(d) Sulky and inferior.
4. Why does Fengon race to Lokisheim and then return to Elsinore?
(a) He must hide evidence from the king.
(b) He needs to retrieve a poison to kill the king.
(c) He must tell his servents to hide his posessions.
(d) He must retrieve weapons.
5. How is Horvendil killed?
(a) By a great dual.
(b) By poison.
(c) By strangulation.
(d) By a slit throat.
6. How does Fengon enter the lodge to meet Geruthe?
(a) Through the roof on accident.
(b) Through the kitchen door.
(c) Through the window of the bedchamber.
(d) At the front door.
7. What did Geruthe realize about the falcon once it was too late?
(a) That she did not value the falcon until it was gone.
(b) That she let the bird get sick.
(c) That the bird was violent.
(d) That the bird was not worth any money.
8. Why does Geruthe summon Corambis on a day that the king is out?
(a) Because she is afraid Corambis will not see her if the king is near.
(b) Because she is afraid that the king would be curious about their conversation.
(c) Because she thinks Corambis would tell the king if he were in the castle.
(d) Because she thinks that the king would interfer in their conversation.
9. Why does Horvendil disapprove of Geruthe´s suggestion for their son's future wife?
(a) Horvendil thinks she is dramatic and unstable.
(b) Horvendil thinks she is shy and dull.
(c) Horvendil thinks she is selfish and vain.
(d) Horvendil thinks she is too outspoken.
10. Why does Geruthe think that Corambus's daughter is a good match for Hamblet?
(a) She is delicate and shy.
(b) She is witty and interesting.
(c) She is strong and outspoken.
(d) She is sporty and fun.
11. How long has King Hamlet been dead when Claudius is made king?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Two months.
(c) Two days.
(d) Two years.
12. What is Geruthe's first response to hearing Fengon describe his vow?
(a) She tries to make jest of it.
(b) She leaves the room for air.
(c) She tells Fengon of her love for him.
(d) She tells Fengon that she could never love him.
13. Why does Geruthe respond the way she does to Fengon's kiss?
(a) She is not attracted to Fengon.
(b) She is scared that Fengon will not love her back.
(c) She is worried about the sin she is committing.
(d) She wants more from Fengon.
14. Why is Ophelia summoned to see Gertrude?
(a) To see if she is witty enough for Hamlet.
(b) To see if she is beautiful.
(c) To see if she is interested in studying with Hamlet.
(d) To see how far her relationship with Hamlet has gone in the past.
15. What is Gertrude's personal regret about her marriage and King Hamlet's death?
(a) That her husband didn't confide in her.
(b) That her husband never saw her as the person she really was.
(c) That her husband didn't want more children.
(d) That her husband never loved her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Geruthe want to get rid of Corambis?
2. When does Horvendil summon Fengon to inform him that the affair with Geruthe is common knowledge?
3. What does Gertrude think she should have done immediately after King Hamlet's death?
4. How would Gertrude describe Hamlet?
5. What is Horvendil's primary concern about his brother Fengon?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)