|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Gerutha on her wedding day?
(a) Twenty years old.
(b) Thirty years old.
(c) Seventeen years old.
(d) Eighteen years old.
2. Which character benefits the least by the marriage of Gerutha and Horwendil?
3. How does Horwendil respond to Gerutha's thorniness?
(a) He loves her more.
(b) He becomes frusterated and leaves her.
(c) He becomes angry and violent.
(d) He is amused.
4. Why does Gerutha use the phrase ". . . no woman wants to be a mere piece of furniture, to be bartered for and then sat upon?"
(a) To clearify her feelings about bar stools.
(b) To explain to her father her feelings about being promised to Horwendil.
(c) To insult Horwendil's intelligence.
(d) To state her opinion of Horwendil.
5. What does Feng give Gerutha as a gift during her visit?
(a) A horse.
(b) A locket.
(c) A falcon.
(d) A love letter.
6. What doesn't Gerutha enjoy about her visit to Feng's estate?
(a) She doesn't like the conversations with Feng.
(b) She doesn't like the food.
(c) She doesn't like riding with Feng.
(d) She doesn't like the idea of falconry.
7. What other event occurs on the same day Gerutha gives birth?
(a) Horwendil leaves Gerutha for another woman.
(b) Horwendil becomes king.
(c) Rorik dies.
(d) Horwendil defeats and kills Fortinbras of Norway.
8. Which statement is true about Gerutha?
(a) She lives with her mother.
(b) She is in love with Horwendil.
(c) She is the only child of King Rorick.
(d) She is from France.
9. Who is Ophelia?
(a) Horwendil's sister.
(b) Ona's daughter.
(c) Feng's daughter.
(d) Corambus' daughter.
10. Why does Feng leave Denmark?
(a) To flee his angry brother.
(b) To study in a university.
(c) To escape the temptation of Gerutha.
(d) To battle in other countries.
11. What is made clear about Horwendil's intentions with Gerutha?
(a) He intends to be a good husband and ruler.
(b) He intends to marry her to increase his own position and wealth.
(c) He intends to be honest and trustworthy with her.
(d) He is interested in being a loving husband.
12. How does Gerutha feel about the way Horwendil treats her?
(a) Gerutha feels that Horwendil is a good king and very romantic.
(b) Gerutha feels that Horwendil is violent and she is afraid of him.
(c) Gerutha feels that Horwendil will become more romantic as they gain more experience together.
(d) Gerutha feels that Horwendil only cherishes her for his public position.
13. Why don't Gerutha and Horwendil have more children?
(a) Gerutha does not want more children.
(b) They try, but Gerutha is unable to get pregnant.
(c) They can't afford to have more children.
(d) Horwendil does not want more children.
14. Where do the names in Part 3 of the story come from?
(a) From the source used by Shakespeare, which was probably German in origin.
(b) From John Updike's sources.
(c) From an old English reprint of the second edition.
(d) From Shakespeare's previous drama, since the story is a sequel.
15. Why is the importance of displaying the bloody bed sheet?
(a) It means that Horwendil is having an affair.
(b) It means that Gerutha is sick.
(c) It proves that Gerutha was not a virgin.
(d) It proves that any son born by Gerutha is from Horwendil.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rorik believe that Horwendil is a good match for his daughter?
2. Which of the following is a name in Part 2?
3. Which of the following is a name in Part 3?
4. What words best describe Gerutha as a wife?
5. Who is Ljot related to?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)