|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Horwendil's squire?
(c) Corambus' son.
2. What is made clear about Horwendil's intentions with Gerutha?
(a) He intends to be honest and trustworthy with her.
(b) He intends to be a good husband and ruler.
(c) He is interested in being a loving husband.
(d) He intends to marry her to increase his own position and wealth.
3. Where do the names in Part 3 of the story come from?
(a) From the source used by Shakespeare, which was probably German in origin.
(b) From an old English reprint of the second edition.
(c) From John Updike's sources.
(d) From Shakespeare's previous drama, since the story is a sequel.
4. Which point sparks the argument over Amleth leaving to study in the next year?
(a) That Horwendil is unsatisfied with Gerutha.
(b) That Amleth is unhappy at Elsinore.
(c) That Horwendil is leaving the country for a time.
(d) That Amleth is disturbed by the friendship between Gerutha and Feng.
5. Who is Ophelia?
(a) Corambus' daughter.
(b) Horwendil's sister.
(c) Ona's daughter.
(d) Feng's daughter.
6. What is Gerutha's explanation for spending so much time with Feng?
(a) That she feels badly for him since he often sulks in loneliness.
(b) That she is Feng's only company, since Horwendil is often busy.
(c) That she simply is concerned for his health.
(d) That she helps Feng to study German.
7. Which of the following is a name in Part 3?
8. What advise does Corambus give Gerutha to make her think less about her marriage?
(a) He tells her to sleep more.
(b) He tells her to read less and exercise more.
(c) He tells her to stop gossiping and be a better wife.
(d) He tells her to speak to Horwendil about her feelings.
9. What is unfair about how Rorik treats Horwendil compared to how he treats Feng?
(a) Rorik gives Horwendil a larger manor than Feng when the brothers come to visit.
(b) Rorik pays Horwendil double the money of Feng, although the brothers completed the same service.
(c) Rorik allows Feng to visit Gerutha more than Horwendil.
(d) Rorik allows Feng to hunt with his horses during the their visit.
10. Why is Corambus resentful of Horwendil?
(a) Because Corambus is in love with Gerutha.
(b) Because Horwendil conspired to kill Rorik.
(c) Because Horwendil moves into Elsinore before he is officially named king.
(d) Because Horwendil will not listen to his counciling.
11. Who is Magrit married to?
12. When Rorik asks Gerutha about the state of her marriage, how does she respond?
(a) She tells Rorick that she has never been happier.
(b) She tells Rorik that it is a terrible marriage and it is his fault.
(c) She tells Rorick that it is a profitable business.
(d) She tells Rorik that her marriage is in excellent shape.
13. Where do Gerutha and Horwendil go immediately after their wedding?
(a) To Odinsheim, Horwedil's home.
(b) To Horwendil's manor next to Elsinore.
(c) To Elsinore.
(d) To Feng's house because he missing the wedding.
14. Why does Gerutha's back hurt during her wedding day?
(a) Because she hurt herself horseback riding.
(b) Because her dress is very heavy and she is wearing many jewels.
(c) Beacuse she had to sleep on the floor the night before.
(d) Because she hurt herself dancing.
15. In what city does the Hamlet story have a history of being printed?
(d) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the names in Part 2 of the story come from?
2. At what age does Feng return to Denmark?
3. How does Rorik attempt to change Gerutha's opinion of Horwendil?
4. What does Horwendil talk about on the trip after their wedding?
5. Who does Gerutha confide in when she becomes worried about Amleth's moodiness?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)