|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which point sparks the argument over Amleth leaving to study in the next year?
(a) That Horwendil is leaving the country for a time.
(b) That Amleth is unhappy at Elsinore.
(c) That Amleth is disturbed by the friendship between Gerutha and Feng.
(d) That Horwendil is unsatisfied with Gerutha.
2. What other event occurs on the same day Gerutha gives birth?
(a) Rorik dies.
(b) Horwendil becomes king.
(c) Horwendil defeats and kills Fortinbras of Norway.
(d) Horwendil leaves Gerutha for another woman.
3. What is Gerutha's interpretation of the songbirds singing?
(a) That they are singing about their imprisionment.
(b) That they are singing about love.
(c) That they are singing about their past.
(d) That they are singing about their happiness.
4. Which character benefits the least by the marriage of Gerutha and Horwendil?
5. How does Horwendil respond to Gerutha's thorniness?
(a) He is amused.
(b) He becomes angry and violent.
(c) He loves her more.
(d) He becomes frusterated and leaves her.
6. How does Rorik attempt to change Gerutha's opinion of Horwendil?
(a) He tells her a fairytale.
(b) He tells her the story of Ona and himself.
(c) He explains to her that it is her duty to marry Horwendil.
(d) He reminds her that she can not have an opinion because she is a woman.
7. Why does Rorik believe that Horwendil is a good match for his daughter?
(a) Horwendil is a brave and well-loved ruler.
(b) Horwendil is a rich merchant.
(c) Horwendil is an excellent father.
(d) Horwendil is a great athlete.
8. What does Corambus say about Amleth's moodiness?
(a) That Amleth is an angry boy and he show it as moodiness.
(b) That Amleth is very weak and so he is moody.
(c) That perhaps they are just roles he is trying on for size.
(d) That perhaps he is unbalanced or addled in the brain.
9. When do Feng's thoughts over Gerutha become evident in the story?
(a) After he kisses her.
(b) After he is sickened and dying.
(c) After he leaves Denmark.
(d) After he is wounded in battle.
10. Which character is the most emotionally distant?
11. What is Gerutha's explanation for spending so much time with Feng?
(a) That she helps Feng to study German.
(b) That she is Feng's only company, since Horwendil is often busy.
(c) That she feels badly for him since he often sulks in loneliness.
(d) That she simply is concerned for his health.
12. Which of the following is a name in Part 1?
13. What word best describes Feng´s feelings toward his bother Horwendil?
14. What happened to Gerutha´s mother, Ona, when Gertrude was three years old?
(a) Her mother left the family to live in France.
(b) Her mother died.
(c) Her mother disappeared.
(d) Her mother was removed from the family.
15. What does Gerutha fear about being attracted to a man?
(a) That she will never have a career.
(b) That she will eventually become a very rich woman.
(c) That she will not be attractive to him.
(d) That she will eventually become a submissive old woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the importance of displaying the bloody bed sheet?
2. Who was missing from Gerutha and Horwendil's wedding that upsets Horwendil?
3. Gerutha feels that her feelings for Amleth are inadequate as a mother. What does she believe is the source of this?
4. Who is Ona related to?
5. Which of the following is a name in Part 2?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)