|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why don't Gerutha and Horwendil have more children?
(a) Horwendil does not want more children.
(b) They try, but Gerutha is unable to get pregnant.
(c) They can't afford to have more children.
(d) Gerutha does not want more children.
2. What is Gerutha's interpretation of the songbirds singing?
(a) That they are singing about their happiness.
(b) That they are singing about love.
(c) That they are singing about their past.
(d) That they are singing about their imprisionment.
3. Who is Ophelia?
(a) Corambus' daughter.
(b) Horwendil's sister.
(c) Ona's daughter.
(d) Feng's daughter.
4. What is the important event that occurs in the springtime for Gerutha.
(a) She goes to visit her mother.
(b) She finds out she is pregnant.
(c) She becomes queen.
(d) She throws an extravagent brithday party.
5. Who is Laertes?
(a) Ona's father.
(b) Gerutha's brother.
(c) Hamlet's father.
(d) Ophelia's brother.
6. What does Gerutha notice about Rorik's face as he gives her his blessing?
(a) She notices that he has a strange scar.
(b) She notices that he looks tired and sick.
(c) She notices that he looks happy for her.
(d) She notices that he appears lonely.
7. Why does Gerutha feel snubbed by Horwendil on their wedding night?
(a) Because Horwendil did not dance with her.
(b) Because Horwendil did not want to sleep next to her.
(c) Because Horwendil did not want to talk to her.
(d) Because Horwendil did not take an interest in her sexually.
8. Which words best describe Feng?
(a) Attractive and entertaining.
(b) Forceful and brutish.
(c) Melancholic and violent.
(d) Artistic and quiet.
9. Who was missing from Gerutha and Horwendil's wedding that upsets Horwendil?
(a) His mother.
(b) His brother, Feng.
(c) Gerutha's father, Rorik.
(d) His uncle.
10. Who is Feng's Falconer?
11. Where do the names in Part 2 of the story come from?
(a) From John Updike's presumptions about the origin of names.
(b) From a different publisher's edition in 1890.
(c) From an adaptation that was printed in 1576.
(d) From Shakespeare.
12. Who is Ljot related to?
13. Which of the following is NOT a name in Part 1?
14. How old is Gerutha on her wedding day?
(a) Thirty years old.
(b) Eighteen years old.
(c) Seventeen years old.
(d) Twenty years old.
15. What does the situation with the songbirds reveal about Horwendil's personality?
(a) That he is sweet and romantic.
(b) That he is passive and kind.
(c) That he is kind and generous.
(d) That he is forceful and selfish.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long do guests stay at Elsinore for the wedding?
2. Which character is the most emotionally distant?
3. What does Feng give Gerutha as a gift during her visit?
4. How is Amleth like his father?
5. How does Gerutha feel about the way Horwendil treats her?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)