|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Gerutha confide in when she becomes worried about Amleth's moodiness?
(b) Her father.
(c) Her chambermaid.
2. Which of the following is NOT a name in Part 2?
3. Why are there Christian priests in Jutland?
(a) Because they were allowed in for conversation by the previous king.
(b) Because they were persecuted in their home country.
(c) Because they sent successful missionaries twenty years before.
(d) Because of political reasons.
4. Which of the following is NOT a name in Part 1?
5. Who is Horwendil's squire?
(b) Corambus' son.
6. Which word best describes Horwendil's behavior with the songbirds that he has given Gerutha?
7. Why does Rorik believe that Horwendil is a good match for his daughter?
(a) Horwendil is a brave and well-loved ruler.
(b) Horwendil is an excellent father.
(c) Horwendil is a rich merchant.
(d) Horwendil is a great athlete.
8. What is made clear about Gerutha's opinion of Horwendil?
(a) That she thinks he is selfish brute.
(b) That she thinks he will be a good husband.
(c) That she thinks he is ugly and undesirable.
(d) The she thinks he has the ability to be romantic.
9. Where does the original ancient Hamlet legend come from?
(a) Ancient greek mythology.
(b) John Updike.
(d) Historia Danica of Saxo Grammaticus.
10. Why does Gerutha use the phrase ". . . no woman wants to be a mere piece of furniture, to be bartered for and then sat upon?"
(a) To insult Horwendil's intelligence.
(b) To clearify her feelings about bar stools.
(c) To state her opinion of Horwendil.
(d) To explain to her father her feelings about being promised to Horwendil.
11. What is Gerutha's explanation for spending so much time with Feng?
(a) That she helps Feng to study German.
(b) That she simply is concerned for his health.
(c) That she feels badly for him since he often sulks in loneliness.
(d) That she is Feng's only company, since Horwendil is often busy.
12. Which statement is true about Gerutha?
(a) She is the only child of King Rorick.
(b) She is in love with Horwendil.
(c) She lives with her mother.
(d) She is from France.
13. Who is Sandro?
(a) Ona's brother.
(b) Ophelia's lover.
(c) Feng's squire.
(d) Horwendil's childhood friend.
14. Why don't Gerutha and Horwendil have more children?
(a) Horwendil does not want more children.
(b) Gerutha does not want more children.
(c) They try, but Gerutha is unable to get pregnant.
(d) They can't afford to have more children.
15. What characteristic about Horwendil is enticing to Gerutha?
(a) He is romantic and desires her attention.
(b) He writes poetry and is very intelligent.
(c) He constantly dismisses her attempts to rouse him.
(d) He is athletic and strong.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ljot related to?
2. Which of the following is NOT a name in Part 3?
3. In what season do Gerutha and Horwendil get married?
4. What other event occurs on the same day Gerutha gives birth?
5. What does Gerutha do to pass the sleigh trip after the wedding?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)