|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is a name in Part 2?
2. What is made clear about Gerutha's opinion of Horwendil?
(a) That she thinks he is ugly and undesirable.
(b) That she thinks he will be a good husband.
(c) The she thinks he has the ability to be romantic.
(d) That she thinks he is selfish brute.
3. Where do the names in Part 3 of the story come from?
(a) From Shakespeare's previous drama, since the story is a sequel.
(b) From John Updike's sources.
(c) From the source used by Shakespeare, which was probably German in origin.
(d) From an old English reprint of the second edition.
4. Which of the following is NOT a name in Part 1?
5. Which is evidence that Horwendil does not really love Gerutha?
(a) He holds Gerutha but talks about how to feed the birds.
(b) He does not say he loves her.
(c) He does not bring her an engagement ring.
(d) He holds Gerutha but does not kiss her.
6. What does Corambus say about Amleth's moodiness?
(a) That perhaps he is unbalanced or addled in the brain.
(b) That perhaps they are just roles he is trying on for size.
(c) That Amleth is very weak and so he is moody.
(d) That Amleth is an angry boy and he show it as moodiness.
7. Which character reflects on a difficulty in loving Hamlet?
(c) King Hamlet.
8. Who is Ophelia?
(a) Feng's daughter.
(b) Horwendil's sister.
(c) Ona's daughter.
(d) Corambus' daughter.
9. What happened to Gerutha´s mother, Ona, when Gertrude was three years old?
(a) Her mother disappeared.
(b) Her mother was removed from the family.
(c) Her mother left the family to live in France.
(d) Her mother died.
10. Which statement best describes Gerutha's response to the songbirds?
(a) Angry and frusterated.
(b) Sad and empathetic.
(c) Confused and silent.
(d) Quietly content.
11. What character seems to agree with Amleth the most?
(a) Ona, his grandmother.
(b) Yorik, the court jester.
(c) Horwendil, his father.
(d) Rorik, his grandfather.
12. Where do Gerutha and Horwendil go immediately after their wedding?
(a) To Odinsheim, Horwedil's home.
(b) To Horwendil's manor next to Elsinore.
(c) To Feng's house because he missing the wedding.
(d) To Elsinore.
13. Why is Corambus resentful of Horwendil?
(a) Because Horwendil conspired to kill Rorik.
(b) Because Horwendil moves into Elsinore before he is officially named king.
(c) Because Horwendil will not listen to his counciling.
(d) Because Corambus is in love with Gerutha.
14. What words best describe Amleth as a baby and child?
(a) Sickly and disagreeable.
(b) Energetic and sunny.
(c) Happy and simple.
(d) Quiet and slow.
15. Which character benefits the least by the marriage of Gerutha and Horwendil?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Horwendil's squire?
2. Why does Rorik believe that Horwendil is a good match for his daughter?
3. Where does the original ancient Hamlet legend come from?
4. What does the situation with the songbirds reveal about Horwendil's personality?
5. What is Gerutha's explanation for spending so much time with Feng?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)