|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gerutha feel snubbed by Horwendil on their wedding night?
(a) Because Horwendil did not want to talk to her.
(b) Because Horwendil did not dance with her.
(c) Because Horwendil did not want to sleep next to her.
(d) Because Horwendil did not take an interest in her sexually.
2. Where do the names in Part 2 of the story come from?
(a) From an adaptation that was printed in 1576.
(b) From John Updike's presumptions about the origin of names.
(c) From a different publisher's edition in 1890.
(d) From Shakespeare.
3. Which statement best describes Gerutha's attitude about marrying Horwendil?
(a) Reluctant and intolerant.
(b) Overjoyed and excited.
(c) Nervous and scared.
(d) Calm and quiet.
4. Which of the following is a name in Part 1?
5. The story is a prequel to what other famous drama?
(a) A Christmas Carol.
(b) The Twelfth Night.
(d) Romeo and Juliet.
6. Which of the following is NOT a name in Part 2?
7. What words best describe Gerutha as a wife?
(a) Sad, quiet, and sulky.
(b) Good, compliant, and gracious.
(c) Angry, thorny, and disrespectful.
(d) Happy, bubbly, and talkative.
8. Who is Magrit married to?
9. How does Rorik attempt to change Gerutha's opinion of Horwendil?
(a) He tells her the story of Ona and himself.
(b) He reminds her that she can not have an opinion because she is a woman.
(c) He explains to her that it is her duty to marry Horwendil.
(d) He tells her a fairytale.
10. Why is the importance of displaying the bloody bed sheet?
(a) It means that Horwendil is having an affair.
(b) It means that Gerutha is sick.
(c) It proves that Gerutha was not a virgin.
(d) It proves that any son born by Gerutha is from Horwendil.
11. Who is Ophelia?
(a) Ona's daughter.
(b) Feng's daughter.
(c) Corambus' daughter.
(d) Horwendil's sister.
12. Where does the original ancient Hamlet legend come from?
(a) Ancient greek mythology.
(b) Historia Danica of Saxo Grammaticus.
(c) John Updike.
13. Who is Sandro?
(a) Ophelia's lover.
(b) Horwendil's childhood friend.
(c) Ona's brother.
(d) Feng's squire.
14. What is Gerutha's interpretation of the songbirds singing?
(a) That they are singing about their past.
(b) That they are singing about their imprisionment.
(c) That they are singing about love.
(d) That they are singing about their happiness.
15. Which words best describe Feng?
(a) Artistic and quiet.
(b) Attractive and entertaining.
(c) Melancholic and violent.
(d) Forceful and brutish.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the springtime after Gerutha and Horwendil's wedding, what is happening to Rorik?
2. What character seems to agree with Amleth the most?
3. Which of the following is a name in Part 3?
4. When do Feng's thoughts over Gerutha become evident in the story?
5. What does Corambus say about Amleth's moodiness?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)