|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Corambus say about Amleth's moodiness?
(a) That perhaps he is unbalanced or addled in the brain.
(b) That perhaps they are just roles he is trying on for size.
(c) That Amleth is an angry boy and he show it as moodiness.
(d) That Amleth is very weak and so he is moody.
2. Who is Feng's Falconer?
3. What does Horwendil talk about on the trip after their wedding?
(a) He talks about how he will make a great king.
(b) He talks about how fun the party was.
(c) He talks about who was and was not at their wedding.
(d) He talks about how beautiful Gerutha is.
4. What character seems to agree with Amleth the most?
(a) Rorik, his grandfather.
(b) Yorik, the court jester.
(c) Horwendil, his father.
(d) Ona, his grandmother.
5. Who is Magrit married to?
6. Where do the names in Part 2 of the story come from?
(a) From a different publisher's edition in 1890.
(b) From Shakespeare.
(c) From John Updike's presumptions about the origin of names.
(d) From an adaptation that was printed in 1576.
7. What happens to Horwendil as he becomes a more accomplished king?
(a) He becomes increasingly more distant to Gerutha.
(b) He becomes a much better warrior with age.
(c) He becomes more interested in other women.
(d) He becomes more romantic.
8. Who does Gerutha confide in when she becomes worried about Amleth's moodiness?
(a) Her chambermaid.
(c) Her father.
9. What is made clear about Gerutha's opinion of Horwendil?
(a) That she thinks he is selfish brute.
(b) The she thinks he has the ability to be romantic.
(c) That she thinks he will be a good husband.
(d) That she thinks he is ugly and undesirable.
10. Which of the following is NOT a name in Part 3?
11. The story begins in what country?
12. Which character reflects on a difficulty in loving Hamlet?
(a) King Hamlet.
13. What does Gerutha do to pass the sleigh trip after the wedding?
(a) She makes thorny comments at Horwendil.
(b) She practices sitting pretty.
(c) She talks sweetly to Horwendil.
(d) She goes to sleep.
14. What does Gerutha fear about being attracted to a man?
(a) That she will not be attractive to him.
(b) That she will never have a career.
(c) That she will eventually become a very rich woman.
(d) That she will eventually become a submissive old woman.
15. The story is a prequel to what other famous drama?
(a) The Twelfth Night.
(c) A Christmas Carol.
(d) Romeo and Juliet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character benefits the least by the marriage of Gerutha and Horwendil?
2. What is unfair about how Rorik treats Horwendil compared to how he treats Feng?
3. Why is the importance of displaying the bloody bed sheet?
4. What advise does Corambus give Gerutha to make her think less about her marriage?
5. Who is Laertes?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)