|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Feng leave Denmark?
(a) To escape the temptation of Gerutha.
(b) To flee his angry brother.
(c) To study in a university.
(d) To battle in other countries.
2. When do Feng's thoughts over Gerutha become evident in the story?
(a) After he is wounded in battle.
(b) After he kisses her.
(c) After he is sickened and dying.
(d) After he leaves Denmark.
3. What is Gerutha's explanation for spending so much time with Feng?
(a) That she simply is concerned for his health.
(b) That she is Feng's only company, since Horwendil is often busy.
(c) That she feels badly for him since he often sulks in loneliness.
(d) That she helps Feng to study German.
4. Who is Gerutha´s handmaiden?
(c) Corambus' sister.
5. What advise does Corambus give Gerutha to make her think less about her marriage?
(a) He tells her to sleep more.
(b) He tells her to stop gossiping and be a better wife.
(c) He tells her to speak to Horwendil about her feelings.
(d) He tells her to read less and exercise more.
6. Which word best describes Horwendil's behavior with the songbirds that he has given Gerutha?
7. Where do the names in Part 2 of the story come from?
(a) From a different publisher's edition in 1890.
(b) From John Updike's presumptions about the origin of names.
(c) From an adaptation that was printed in 1576.
(d) From Shakespeare.
8. Which statement best describes Gerutha's attitude about marrying Horwendil?
(a) Calm and quiet.
(b) Nervous and scared.
(c) Reluctant and intolerant.
(d) Overjoyed and excited.
9. What is the important event that occurs in the springtime for Gerutha.
(a) She goes to visit her mother.
(b) She throws an extravagent brithday party.
(c) She finds out she is pregnant.
(d) She becomes queen.
10. Why is the importance of displaying the bloody bed sheet?
(a) It means that Horwendil is having an affair.
(b) It proves that Gerutha was not a virgin.
(c) It means that Gerutha is sick.
(d) It proves that any son born by Gerutha is from Horwendil.
11. What does the situation with the songbirds reveal about Horwendil's personality?
(a) That he is sweet and romantic.
(b) That he is forceful and selfish.
(c) That he is kind and generous.
(d) That he is passive and kind.
12. In the springtime after Gerutha and Horwendil's wedding, what is happening to Rorik?
(a) He is attacking the neighboring countries.
(b) He is becoming more sick and is dying.
(c) He is handing the crown over to Horwendil.
(d) He is moving to live with Gerutha and Horwendil.
13. How old is Gerutha when the story begins?
14. Why does Gerutha feel snubbed by Horwendil on their wedding night?
(a) Because Horwendil did not want to sleep next to her.
(b) Because Horwendil did not dance with her.
(c) Because Horwendil did not want to talk to her.
(d) Because Horwendil did not take an interest in her sexually.
15. Who is Sandro?
(a) Horwendil's childhood friend.
(b) Ona's brother.
(c) Feng's squire.
(d) Ophelia's lover.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is the most emotionally distant?
2. Who is Feng's Falconer?
3. What does Feng give Gerutha as a gift during her visit?
4. At what age does Feng return to Denmark?
5. Gerutha feels that her feelings for Amleth are inadequate as a mother. What does she believe is the source of this?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)