|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the miners sign up with the union?
2. How does the union help the miners?
3. What happens to Alzire?
4. Where does Lantier hide?
5. How does Deneulin respond to Etienne's request?
Essay Topic 1
The weight of long-established traditions appears again when Chaval asserts his dominance over Catherine.
1. What do you think is the status of women at this time and place?
2. Do women seem to have more, less or about the same power as men?
3. Why do you think Chaval felt he owned Catherine after raping her?
Use examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
The first chapter also introduces the "monster," which is the huge cone-like structure set over the pit that is described as a beast ready to eat the men that slave for it.
1. How did you feel about the mine from the way Zola described it?
2. Using metaphors and analogy describe the mine as Zola sees it.
3. Why do you think Zola used metaphors in his descriptions?
Essay Topic 3
Léon Grégoire and his cousin, Deneulin have different beliefs about money, how to use it and how to make it.
1. What do you see as the difference between how Léon Grégoire views money versus Deneulin? Use examples from the text to support your opinion.
2. What groups of people in the United States today would correspond to each of the two men?
3. How do you personally view the use and making of money?
This section contains 1,691 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)