|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the owner of the Jean-Bart mine think will happen if the miners strike his mine?
2. What does Chaval announce when he comes to the Advantage during the strike?
3. How does Grégoire feel about what the miners want?
4. How do the miners feel about the Borains?
5. Who does Lantier get to know after he left hiding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There seems to be a huge gap between the rich and poor in this novel.
1. How is this difference shown in the book?
2. Do you see this gap existing in America today? Why or why not?
3. Do you see any morality issue with the gap between the very rich and the very poor?
Use examples to illustrate your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Léon Grégoire and his cousin, Deneulin have different beliefs about money, how to use it and how to make it.
1. What do you see as the difference between how Léon Grégoire views money versus Deneulin? Use examples from the text to support your opinion.
2. What groups of people in the United States today would correspond to each of the two men?
3. How do you personally view the use and making of money?
Essay Topic 3
The fourth part of the novel outlines the positions of the two camps involved in the growing conflict - the miners and the Company's representatives.
1. Why do you think the mine owners are unwilling to listen to the miners?
2. Do you think the miners were demanding too much from the mine owners? Why or why not?
3. If you were a negotiator between these two groups how would you attempt to forge an agreement?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)