|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the miners do when the Grégoires pull up to the Hennebeaus' house?
2. How does Grégoire feel about what the miners want?
3. Who owns the Jean-Bart mine?
4. What is one of the mines left working after the strike has spread?
5. What happens to Maigrat when he runs from the miners?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Léon Grégoire and his cousin, Deneulin have different beliefs about money, how to use it and how to make it.
1. What do you see as the difference between how Léon Grégoire views money versus Deneulin? Use examples from the text to support your opinion.
2. What groups of people in the United States today would correspond to each of the two men?
3. How do you personally view the use and making of money?
Essay Topic 2
In GERMINAL, there is a constant struggle between individualism and collectivism.
1. Give two examples of this struggle.
2. Do you think individualism is more destructive than collectivism? Why or why not?
3. Do you think the collective thinking of the miners caused more problems than it solved? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In the end, the idealist Étienne Lantier traversed the world of the Voreux and though accomplished little in terms of actual gains, he left the miners with a will to fight; the seed of this may eventually grow and burst again through the infertile ground of the mining pit.
1. Do you think this book ended with any shred of hope? Why or why not?
2. If you had been a miner in this situation do you think you would try again? Why or why not?
Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)