|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the miners do to the soldiers?
2. How does Grégoire feel about what the miners want?
3. What does Etienne think about his position as leader in the strike?
4. What has come to Montsou because of the strike?
5. Who comes to visit the Maheus when Alzire is sick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The third section of the novel draws a portrait of the events that lead the miners to go on strike. It also shows the evolution of Étienne Lantier's political ideas.
1. What do you see as the stages in the evolution of Lantier's thinking from sympathy with the miners to action?
2. How might Etienne Lantier's own weaknesses have pushed him to organize the miners?
3. How did his strengths help him?
Use examples from the book to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
There seems to be a huge gap between the rich and poor in this novel.
1. How is this difference shown in the book?
2. Do you see this gap existing in America today? Why or why not?
3. Do you see any morality issue with the gap between the very rich and the very poor?
Use examples to illustrate your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The weight of long-established traditions appears again when Chaval asserts his dominance over Catherine.
1. What do you think is the status of women at this time and place?
2. Do women seem to have more, less or about the same power as men?
3. Why do you think Chaval felt he owned Catherine after raping her?
Use examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,695 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)