|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the miners do at the entrance to the mine?
2. What does Chaval announce when he comes to the Advantage during the strike?
3. What are the Hennebeaus doing the day the miners go on strike?
4. What do the workers do at the Hennebeaus' house?
5. How does Grégoire feel about what the miners want?
Essay Topic 1
In GERMINAL, there is a constant struggle between individualism and collectivism.
1. Give two examples of this struggle.
2. Do you think individualism is more destructive than collectivism? Why or why not?
3. Do you think the collective thinking of the miners caused more problems than it solved? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The weight of long-established traditions appears again when Chaval asserts his dominance over Catherine.
1. What do you think is the status of women at this time and place?
2. Do women seem to have more, less or about the same power as men?
3. Why do you think Chaval felt he owned Catherine after raping her?
Use examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
In the first chapter, everything is set in the dark of night; the only lighting is provided either by the moonlight or by the fire burning inside the chunks of coal.
1. Why do you think GERMINAL starts at night?
2. How does the dark relate to the book's themes?
3. Did you see any foreshadowing from the darkness in the beginning of the book? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,714 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)