Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the women go to for food?
2. What does the mine owners announce Négrel is doing?
3. Why does Hennebeau ignore the miners?
4. Why is life at the Maheus so difficult?
5. What does Maheu ask of Hennebeau?
The weight of long-established traditions appears again when Chaval asserts his dominance over Catherine.
1. What do you think is the status of women at this time and place?
2. Do women seem to have more, less or about the same power as men?
3. Why do you think Chaval felt he owned Catherine after raping her?
Use examples from the text to support your answers.
By befriending a soldier, Lantier discovers he (Lantier) is not that different from the people against whom he is fighting. Both men share hopes, dreams and memories; both wish for the same kind of life and in the end, they can only be differentiated by the master they serve.
1. Do you think this statement could be true in any situation where one person or group of persons consider another an enemy? Use an example from the text and from life now in the United States to illustrate this statement.
2. If two enemies were placed in a room and had to stay together for one month without fighting do you think they would be enemies at the end of that month? Why or why not?
As the miners march toward Montsou, their numbers grow; the more they grow, the more they feel certain of their success. This anticipated success leads the striking miners to commit acts they would not have the strength to perform individually.
1. How do the miners demonstrate the power of a crowd?
2. There are also examples of the power of an individual in the book. What were two of them?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)