|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lantier get to know after he left hiding?
2. What do the workers do at the Hennebeaus' house?
3. What are the miners requesting at Hennebeau's house?
4. What does Etienne think about his position as leader in the strike?
5. When is the provident fund started by Etienne empty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The triumphs of collectivism are short lived and their assurance follows the path of their deteriorating conditions of living.
1. Why and how do you think the triumphant collectivism of the miners being focused together deteriorated?
2. How do you think the focused collectivism of an organized body, such as an army, can remain stable as opposed to the miners?
3. Do you think organization and strong leadership are always necessary in order for a group to work together?
Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The weight of long-established traditions appears again when Chaval asserts his dominance over Catherine.
1. What do you think is the status of women at this time and place?
2. Do women seem to have more, less or about the same power as men?
3. Why do you think Chaval felt he owned Catherine after raping her?
Use examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
In GERMINAL, there is a constant struggle between individualism and collectivism.
1. Give two examples of this struggle.
2. Do you think individualism is more destructive than collectivism? Why or why not?
3. Do you think the collective thinking of the miners caused more problems than it solved? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,685 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)