Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the women go to for food?
2. What does the mine owners announce Négrel is doing?
3. Why does Hennebeau ignore the miners?
4. Why is life at the Maheus so difficult?
5. What does Maheu ask of Hennebeau?
Grégoire summarizes the entire position of the typical bourgeois.
1. What do you see as his position?
2. What parts of Gregoire's position do you believe is true? What parts do you see as false?
3. Do you believe the wealthy class in America today would agree with Gregoire's position on the miners? Why or why not?
Use examples from the text to support your answer.
The fourth part of the novel outlines the positions of the two camps involved in the growing conflict - the miners and the Company's representatives.
1. Why do you think the mine owners are unwilling to listen to the miners?
2. Do you think the miners were demanding too much from the mine owners? Why or why not?
3. If you were a negotiator between these two groups how would you attempt to forge an agreement?
The situation is desperate, with the miners having no food or heat. Zola draws an analogy of lack of coal as a source of collective energy (for the houses), which is correlated with the lack of food, a source of personal energy (for the body).
1. Discuss two other analogies that Zola uses in the miners' situation.
2. Do you think Zola's analogies are meant to be ambivalent to be powerful? Why or why not?
3. Would he have strengthened his position better with more concrete writing?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)