|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes an explosion at the Jean-Bart mine?
2. Where does Lantier hide?
3. Who do the women go to for food?
4. What does Hennebeau tell the miners?
5. What happens to Alzire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the first chapter, everything is set in the dark of night; the only lighting is provided either by the moonlight or by the fire burning inside the chunks of coal.
1. Why do you think GERMINAL starts at night?
2. How does the dark relate to the book's themes?
3. Did you see any foreshadowing from the darkness in the beginning of the book? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Pluchart, Lantier's friend and the director of the International for the district, represents the unions and their self-serving attitude.
1. How does the behavior of the union support this statement?
2. Do you think the miners would have been better off if the union had never become involved in their lives? Why or Why not?
3. Do you think unions have a function in today's work world in consideration of all the labor laws? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
By befriending a soldier, Lantier discovers he (Lantier) is not that different from the people against whom he is fighting. Both men share hopes, dreams and memories; both wish for the same kind of life and in the end, they can only be differentiated by the master they serve.
1. Do you think this statement could be true in any situation where one person or group of persons consider another an enemy? Use an example from the text and from life now in the United States to illustrate this statement.
2. If two enemies were placed in a room and had to stay together for one month without fighting do you think they would be enemies at the end of that month? Why or why not?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)