|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the women go to for food?
2. What does the mine owners announce Négrel is doing?
3. Why does Hennebeau ignore the miners?
4. Why is life at the Maheus so difficult?
5. What does Maheu ask of Hennebeau?
Essay Topic 1
The fourth part of the novel outlines the positions of the two camps involved in the growing conflict - the miners and the Company's representatives.
1. Why do you think the mine owners are unwilling to listen to the miners?
2. Do you think the miners were demanding too much from the mine owners? Why or why not?
3. If you were a negotiator between these two groups how would you attempt to forge an agreement?
Essay Topic 2
There seems to be a huge gap between the rich and poor in this novel.
1. How is this difference shown in the book?
2. Do you see this gap existing in America today? Why or why not?
3. Do you see any morality issue with the gap between the very rich and the very poor?
Use examples to illustrate your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Pluchart, Lantier's friend and the director of the International for the district, represents the unions and their self-serving attitude.
1. How does the behavior of the union support this statement?
2. Do you think the miners would have been better off if the union had never become involved in their lives? Why or Why not?
3. Do you think unions have a function in today's work world in consideration of all the labor laws? Why or why not?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)