|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is knocked out in the Jean-Bart explosion?
2. Where do the miners go when they leave the Hennebeaus?
3. Why is life at the Maheus so difficult?
4. What causes an explosion at the Jean-Bart mine?
5. What do the miners demand of Mr. Hennebeau?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses the environment to underline the symbolic value of Étienne Lantier's move from timid indignation to effective political action. For instance, Lantier and his supporters decide to leave the tavern of the Rasseneurs and move to another meeting place because the former serve "warm beer" and "bad soup."
1. What other situations in the environment to you see reflecting the situations with the miners?
2. How did Etienne's relationships with the miners and the Maheu family reflect his change from outsider to political leader?
Essay Topic 2
In GERMINAL, there is a constant struggle between individualism and collectivism.
1. Give two examples of this struggle.
2. Do you think individualism is more destructive than collectivism? Why or why not?
3. Do you think the collective thinking of the miners caused more problems than it solved? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Grégoire summarizes the entire position of the typical bourgeois.
1. What do you see as his position?
2. What parts of Gregoire's position do you believe is true? What parts do you see as false?
3. Do you believe the wealthy class in America today would agree with Gregoire's position on the miners? Why or why not?
Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,681 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)