|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the last part of the strike what are many of the miners' children doing?
2. Why is the meeting of the miners and Lantier stopped early?
3. What does Etienne ask Catherine?
4. What do the miners do when the Grégoires pull up to the Hennebeaus' house?
5. What has come to Montsou because of the strike?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In a last burst of hope mixed with anger, the miners confront the army of guards in front of the mining pit. The miners lose. When two groups are opposed, the one that is most organized and structured ultimately wins.
1. Compare the situation of the miners with a situation in American history, for example the American Indians opposing the white man.
2. Do you believe the most powerful and organized always wins? Can the flea make the lion surrender?
3. How would this situation correlate with guerrilla warfare?
Essay Topic 2
The first chapter also introduces the "monster," which is the huge cone-like structure set over the pit that is described as a beast ready to eat the men that slave for it.
1. How did you feel about the mine from the way Zola described it?
2. Using metaphors and analogy describe the mine as Zola sees it.
3. Why do you think Zola used metaphors in his descriptions?
Essay Topic 3
Zola uses a writing style and a combination of techniques that are equivalent to the painting style and techniques of the late nineteenth century impressionists.
1. How do you think Zola's writing style relates to the theme and plot of the book?
2. How do you think the impact of the book would change had Zola used a more concrete writing style?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)