|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the miners sign up with the union?
2. When is the provident fund started by Etienne empty?
3. Who does Lantier get to know after he left hiding?
4. What are the miners requesting at Hennebeau's house?
5. What do the miners do when the Grégoires pull up to the Hennebeaus' house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the end, the idealist Étienne Lantier traversed the world of the Voreux and though accomplished little in terms of actual gains, he left the miners with a will to fight; the seed of this may eventually grow and burst again through the infertile ground of the mining pit.
1. Do you think this book ended with any shred of hope? Why or why not?
2. If you had been a miner in this situation do you think you would try again? Why or why not?
Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
As the miners march toward Montsou, their numbers grow; the more they grow, the more they feel certain of their success. This anticipated success leads the striking miners to commit acts they would not have the strength to perform individually.
1. How do the miners demonstrate the power of a crowd?
2. There are also examples of the power of an individual in the book. What were two of them?
Essay Topic 3
Pluchart, Lantier's friend and the director of the International for the district, represents the unions and their self-serving attitude.
1. How does the behavior of the union support this statement?
2. Do you think the miners would have been better off if the union had never become involved in their lives? Why or Why not?
3. Do you think unions have a function in today's work world in consideration of all the labor laws? Why or why not?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)