|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Lantier try to convince Deneulin?
2. How does each supervisor or mine director get out of dealing with the miners?
3. What does Etienne talk about with his new friend?
4. Why do the miners follow Lantier as a leader?
5. What do the Montsou miners do when the Jean-Bart miners come to the surface?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grégoire summarizes the entire position of the typical bourgeois.
1. What do you see as his position?
2. What parts of Gregoire's position do you believe is true? What parts do you see as false?
3. Do you believe the wealthy class in America today would agree with Gregoire's position on the miners? Why or why not?
Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Zola uses a writing style and a combination of techniques that are equivalent to the painting style and techniques of the late nineteenth century impressionists.
1. How do you think Zola's writing style relates to the theme and plot of the book?
2. How do you think the impact of the book would change had Zola used a more concrete writing style?
Essay Topic 3
In the end, the idealist Étienne Lantier traversed the world of the Voreux and though accomplished little in terms of actual gains, he left the miners with a will to fight; the seed of this may eventually grow and burst again through the infertile ground of the mining pit.
1. Do you think this book ended with any shred of hope? Why or why not?
2. If you had been a miner in this situation do you think you would try again? Why or why not?
Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)