|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose life does Lantier save when the Montsou miners are angry at Jean-Bart?
2. How does Etienne help Jeanlin?
3. What does Etienne see Jeanlin do?
4. Who comes to the Maheu house with food for the family?
5. How do the miners leave if the cable is cut?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In a last burst of hope mixed with anger, the miners confront the army of guards in front of the mining pit. The miners lose. When two groups are opposed, the one that is most organized and structured ultimately wins.
1. Compare the situation of the miners with a situation in American history, for example the American Indians opposing the white man.
2. Do you believe the most powerful and organized always wins? Can the flea make the lion surrender?
3. How would this situation correlate with guerrilla warfare?
Essay Topic 2
The implosion of the Voreux signifies the death of the starving monster. In a single strike of irony, the water flowing in the veins of the earth drowns the man-made hell.
1. What do you think this statement means?
2. What kind of picture do you see when you read Zola's descriptions of the undamaged and damaged mine?
Use examples from the text to illustrate your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
The triumphs of collectivism are short lived and their assurance follows the path of their deteriorating conditions of living.
1. Why and how do you think the triumphant collectivism of the miners being focused together deteriorated?
2. How do you think the focused collectivism of an organized body, such as an army, can remain stable as opposed to the miners?
3. Do you think organization and strong leadership are always necessary in order for a group to work together?
Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,673 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)