|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owns the Jean-Bart mine?
2. What does Chaval announce when he comes to the Advantage during the strike?
3. What do the Montsou miners do to the Jean-Bart mine?
4. Who is waiting for the Jean-Bart miners when they exit the mine?
5. What does Hennebeau tell the miners?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The triumphs of collectivism are short lived and their assurance follows the path of their deteriorating conditions of living.
1. Why and how do you think the triumphant collectivism of the miners being focused together deteriorated?
2. How do you think the focused collectivism of an organized body, such as an army, can remain stable as opposed to the miners?
3. Do you think organization and strong leadership are always necessary in order for a group to work together?
Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The fourth part of the novel outlines the positions of the two camps involved in the growing conflict - the miners and the Company's representatives.
1. Why do you think the mine owners are unwilling to listen to the miners?
2. Do you think the miners were demanding too much from the mine owners? Why or why not?
3. If you were a negotiator between these two groups how would you attempt to forge an agreement?
Essay Topic 3
In the first chapter, everything is set in the dark of night; the only lighting is provided either by the moonlight or by the fire burning inside the chunks of coal.
1. Why do you think GERMINAL starts at night?
2. How does the dark relate to the book's themes?
3. Did you see any foreshadowing from the darkness in the beginning of the book? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,692 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)