|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Lantier try to convince Deneulin?
2. What has come to Montsou because of the strike?
3. How does the union help the miners?
4. Where does Etienne see Jeanlin go one evening?
5. Why is it difficult for the miners to get out of the Jean-Bart mine when the cables are cut?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fourth part of the novel outlines the positions of the two camps involved in the growing conflict - the miners and the Company's representatives.
1. Why do you think the mine owners are unwilling to listen to the miners?
2. Do you think the miners were demanding too much from the mine owners? Why or why not?
3. If you were a negotiator between these two groups how would you attempt to forge an agreement?
Essay Topic 2
In a last burst of hope mixed with anger, the miners confront the army of guards in front of the mining pit. The miners lose. When two groups are opposed, the one that is most organized and structured ultimately wins.
1. Compare the situation of the miners with a situation in American history, for example the American Indians opposing the white man.
2. Do you believe the most powerful and organized always wins? Can the flea make the lion surrender?
3. How would this situation correlate with guerrilla warfare?
Essay Topic 3
As the miners march toward Montsou, their numbers grow; the more they grow, the more they feel certain of their success. This anticipated success leads the striking miners to commit acts they would not have the strength to perform individually.
1. How do the miners demonstrate the power of a crowd?
2. There are also examples of the power of an individual in the book. What were two of them?
This section contains 1,701 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)