|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Etienne ask Catherine?
2. What does the owner of the Jean-Bart mine think will happen if the miners strike his mine?
3. What does the mine owners announce Négrel is doing?
4. What happens after Chaval makes his announcement at the Advantage?
5. What has come to Montsou because of the strike?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The implosion of the Voreux signifies the death of the starving monster. In a single strike of irony, the water flowing in the veins of the earth drowns the man-made hell.
1. What do you think this statement means?
2. What kind of picture do you see when you read Zola's descriptions of the undamaged and damaged mine?
Use examples from the text to illustrate your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Pluchart, Lantier's friend and the director of the International for the district, represents the unions and their self-serving attitude.
1. How does the behavior of the union support this statement?
2. Do you think the miners would have been better off if the union had never become involved in their lives? Why or Why not?
3. Do you think unions have a function in today's work world in consideration of all the labor laws? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses the environment to underline the symbolic value of Étienne Lantier's move from timid indignation to effective political action. For instance, Lantier and his supporters decide to leave the tavern of the Rasseneurs and move to another meeting place because the former serve "warm beer" and "bad soup."
1. What other situations in the environment to you see reflecting the situations with the miners?
2. How did Etienne's relationships with the miners and the Maheu family reflect his change from outsider to political leader?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)