|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Etienne ask Catherine?
2. What are the miners requesting at Hennebeau's house?
3. What does Rasseneur feel about the strike?
4. What does the mine owners announce Négrel is doing?
5. Why is it difficult for the miners to get out of the Jean-Bart mine when the cables are cut?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fourth part of the novel outlines the positions of the two camps involved in the growing conflict - the miners and the Company's representatives.
1. Why do you think the mine owners are unwilling to listen to the miners?
2. Do you think the miners were demanding too much from the mine owners? Why or why not?
3. If you were a negotiator between these two groups how would you attempt to forge an agreement?
Essay Topic 2
Grégoire summarizes the entire position of the typical bourgeois.
1. What do you see as his position?
2. What parts of Gregoire's position do you believe is true? What parts do you see as false?
3. Do you believe the wealthy class in America today would agree with Gregoire's position on the miners? Why or why not?
Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The implosion of the Voreux signifies the death of the starving monster. In a single strike of irony, the water flowing in the veins of the earth drowns the man-made hell.
1. What do you think this statement means?
2. What kind of picture do you see when you read Zola's descriptions of the undamaged and damaged mine?
Use examples from the text to illustrate your discussion.
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)