|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes an explosion at the Jean-Bart mine?
2. What job does Négrel hold at the mine?
3. What do the Montsou miners do when the Jean-Bart miners come to the surface?
4. What is hiding like for Etienne?
5. What does the owner of the Jean-Bart mine think will happen if the miners strike his mine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In GERMINAL, there is a constant struggle between individualism and collectivism.
1. Give two examples of this struggle.
2. Do you think individualism is more destructive than collectivism? Why or why not?
3. Do you think the collective thinking of the miners caused more problems than it solved? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The army is now occupying Montsou, which means that the miners are powerless, a situation which fuels even more ambivalent anger.
1. How do you think powerlessness engenders anger?
2. What are alternatives to anger to deal with powerlessness?
3. Do you believe the anger seen in some civil rights groups in the 1960s in America stemmed from feeling powerless? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The third section of the novel draws a portrait of the events that lead the miners to go on strike. It also shows the evolution of Étienne Lantier's political ideas.
1. What do you see as the stages in the evolution of Lantier's thinking from sympathy with the miners to action?
2. How might Etienne Lantier's own weaknesses have pushed him to organize the miners?
3. How did his strengths help him?
Use examples from the book to support your opinions.
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)