|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lantier set up a meeting with the miners?
2. What has come to Montsou because of the strike?
3. Why do the miners sign up with the union?
4. How much do the miners' actions at the Jean-Bart mine affect work there?
5. Why is life at the Maheus so difficult?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fourth part of the novel outlines the positions of the two camps involved in the growing conflict - the miners and the Company's representatives.
1. Why do you think the mine owners are unwilling to listen to the miners?
2. Do you think the miners were demanding too much from the mine owners? Why or why not?
3. If you were a negotiator between these two groups how would you attempt to forge an agreement?
Essay Topic 2
In GERMINAL, there is a constant struggle between individualism and collectivism.
1. Give two examples of this struggle.
2. Do you think individualism is more destructive than collectivism? Why or why not?
3. Do you think the collective thinking of the miners caused more problems than it solved? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The army is now occupying Montsou, which means that the miners are powerless, a situation which fuels even more ambivalent anger.
1. How do you think powerlessness engenders anger?
2. What are alternatives to anger to deal with powerlessness?
3. Do you believe the anger seen in some civil rights groups in the 1960s in America stemmed from feeling powerless? Why or why not?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)