|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is knocked out in the Jean-Bart explosion?
2. What promise to Etienne does Chaval break?
3. How much do the miners' actions at the Jean-Bart mine affect work there?
4. Why does Etienne come out from hiding?
5. What does Chaval announce when he comes to the Advantage during the strike?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the miners march toward Montsou, their numbers grow; the more they grow, the more they feel certain of their success. This anticipated success leads the striking miners to commit acts they would not have the strength to perform individually.
1. How do the miners demonstrate the power of a crowd?
2. There are also examples of the power of an individual in the book. What were two of them?
Essay Topic 2
The first chapter also introduces the "monster," which is the huge cone-like structure set over the pit that is described as a beast ready to eat the men that slave for it.
1. How did you feel about the mine from the way Zola described it?
2. Using metaphors and analogy describe the mine as Zola sees it.
3. Why do you think Zola used metaphors in his descriptions?
Essay Topic 3
Zola uses a writing style and a combination of techniques that are equivalent to the painting style and techniques of the late nineteenth century impressionists.
1. How do you think Zola's writing style relates to the theme and plot of the book?
2. How do you think the impact of the book would change had Zola used a more concrete writing style?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)