|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose life does Lantier save when the Montsou miners are angry at Jean-Bart?
2. How does Grégoire feel about what the miners want?
3. What is hiding like for Etienne?
4. What do the miners do when the Grégoires pull up to the Hennebeaus' house?
5. Where does Etienne see Jeanlin go one evening?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The army is now occupying Montsou, which means that the miners are powerless, a situation which fuels even more ambivalent anger.
1. How do you think powerlessness engenders anger?
2. What are alternatives to anger to deal with powerlessness?
3. Do you believe the anger seen in some civil rights groups in the 1960s in America stemmed from feeling powerless? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses the environment to underline the symbolic value of Étienne Lantier's move from timid indignation to effective political action. For instance, Lantier and his supporters decide to leave the tavern of the Rasseneurs and move to another meeting place because the former serve "warm beer" and "bad soup."
1. What other situations in the environment to you see reflecting the situations with the miners?
2. How did Etienne's relationships with the miners and the Maheu family reflect his change from outsider to political leader?
Essay Topic 3
Pluchart, Lantier's friend and the director of the International for the district, represents the unions and their self-serving attitude.
1. How does the behavior of the union support this statement?
2. Do you think the miners would have been better off if the union had never become involved in their lives? Why or Why not?
3. Do you think unions have a function in today's work world in consideration of all the labor laws? Why or why not?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)