|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is knocked out in the Jean-Bart explosion?
2. What does the owner of the Jean-Bart mine think will happen if the miners strike his mine?
3. Why does Hennebeau ignore the miners?
4. Who comes to the Maheu house with food for the family?
5. Who intervenes at the Hennebearus' to save Cécile?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There seems to be a huge gap between the rich and poor in this novel.
1. How is this difference shown in the book?
2. Do you see this gap existing in America today? Why or why not?
3. Do you see any morality issue with the gap between the very rich and the very poor?
Use examples to illustrate your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In GERMINAL, there is a constant struggle between individualism and collectivism.
1. Give two examples of this struggle.
2. Do you think individualism is more destructive than collectivism? Why or why not?
3. Do you think the collective thinking of the miners caused more problems than it solved? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In the end, the idealist Étienne Lantier traversed the world of the Voreux and though accomplished little in terms of actual gains, he left the miners with a will to fight; the seed of this may eventually grow and burst again through the infertile ground of the mining pit.
1. Do you think this book ended with any shred of hope? Why or why not?
2. If you had been a miner in this situation do you think you would try again? Why or why not?
Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)