|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Etienne see Jeanlin go one evening?
2. Who comes to visit the Maheus when Alzire is sick?
3. Of what does Lantier try to convince Deneulin?
4. What does Hennebeau tell the miners?
5. Why is it difficult for the miners to get out of the Jean-Bart mine when the cables are cut?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pluchart, Lantier's friend and the director of the International for the district, represents the unions and their self-serving attitude.
1. How does the behavior of the union support this statement?
2. Do you think the miners would have been better off if the union had never become involved in their lives? Why or Why not?
3. Do you think unions have a function in today's work world in consideration of all the labor laws? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The third section of the novel draws a portrait of the events that lead the miners to go on strike. It also shows the evolution of Étienne Lantier's political ideas.
1. What do you see as the stages in the evolution of Lantier's thinking from sympathy with the miners to action?
2. How might Etienne Lantier's own weaknesses have pushed him to organize the miners?
3. How did his strengths help him?
Use examples from the book to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 3
Grégoire summarizes the entire position of the typical bourgeois.
1. What do you see as his position?
2. What parts of Gregoire's position do you believe is true? What parts do you see as false?
3. Do you believe the wealthy class in America today would agree with Gregoire's position on the miners? Why or why not?
Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)