|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Chaval feeling about the relationship between Catherine and Etienne?
2. What do the miners decide to do when the company lowers their pay?
3. Why does Chaval almost instantly dislike Etienne?
4. Why do the supervisors fine the Maheu team?
5. Why does Bonnemort go outside to cough when the visitors are there?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the miners feel about Etienne Lantier and what do they do about it?
2. What happens to Etienne as he works in the mines, as far as his job is concerned?
3. In what type of situation does Bonnemort live?
4. Describe Léon Grégoire and his life.
5. Souvarine and Etienne have a discussion after the tragedy of the shooting. What do they talk about and what does Souvarine do?
6. What happens to the strike of the miners as time goes by?
7. How did Etienne get a job and what will he be doing?
8. What happens in the mine with Chaval, Etienne and Catherine?
9. What do the Montsou miners do when they leave Jean-Bart?
10. What happens at the Hennebeaus' house when they are hosting a party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In a last burst of hope mixed with anger, the miners confront the army of guards in front of the mining pit. The miners lose. When two groups are opposed, the one that is most organized and structured ultimately wins.
1. Compare the situation of the miners with a situation in American history, for example the American Indians opposing the white man.
2. Do you believe the most powerful and organized always wins? Can the flea make the lion surrender?
3. How would this situation correlate with guerrilla warfare?
Essay Topic 2
In the end, the idealist Étienne Lantier traversed the world of the Voreux and though accomplished little in terms of actual gains, he left the miners with a will to fight; the seed of this may eventually grow and burst again through the infertile ground of the mining pit.
1. Do you think this book ended with any shred of hope? Why or why not?
2. If you had been a miner in this situation do you think you would try again? Why or why not?
Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In the first chapter, everything is set in the dark of night; the only lighting is provided either by the moonlight or by the fire burning inside the chunks of coal.
1. Why do you think GERMINAL starts at night?
2. How does the dark relate to the book's themes?
3. Did you see any foreshadowing from the darkness in the beginning of the book? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)