|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the supervisors fine the Maheu team?
2. For what is Etienne hired?
3. What does Etienne do about what he sees on his walk?
4. What does Bonnemort mean?
5. How does Léon Grégoire make his money?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Etienne Lantier set up a meeting with the miners and what happens at that meeting?
2. What happens to Etienne as he works in the mines, as far as his job is concerned?
3. What has La Maheude troubled and what does she do about it?
4. What happens in the mine in November and what was the consequences?
5. How is Chaval feeling about Catherine and Lantier with Etienne living there and what does he do about it?
6. What happens in the mine with Chaval, Etienne and Catherine?
7. After eating dinner in the second chapter what does Etienne do and why?
8. Who is Denneulin and what does he want from Léon Grégoire?
9. How did Etienne get a job and what will he be doing?
10. What happens in the Maheu house that makes the situation so desperate and deadly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The weight of long-established traditions appears again when Chaval asserts his dominance over Catherine.
1. What do you think is the status of women at this time and place?
2. Do women seem to have more, less or about the same power as men?
3. Why do you think Chaval felt he owned Catherine after raping her?
Use examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Zola uses a writing style and a combination of techniques that are equivalent to the painting style and techniques of the late nineteenth century impressionists.
1. How do you think Zola's writing style relates to the theme and plot of the book?
2. How do you think the impact of the book would change had Zola used a more concrete writing style?
Essay Topic 3
Grégoire summarizes the entire position of the typical bourgeois.
1. What do you see as his position?
2. What parts of Gregoire's position do you believe is true? What parts do you see as false?
3. Do you believe the wealthy class in America today would agree with Gregoire's position on the miners? Why or why not?
Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)