|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Chaval feel about Catherine?
2. How do the visitors treat the people in the village?
3. Who is Souvarine?
4. What is the name of Bonnemort's family?
5. Why can't Bonnemort work inside the Voreux anymore?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Montsou miners do while the miners are working at the Jean-Bart mine?
2. What does Etienne hear and see on his walk?
3. How do the miners decide on a delegation to meet with Hennebeau and what are the results of the meeting?
4. How is Chaval feeling about Catherine and Lantier with Etienne living there and what does he do about it?
5. What does Etienne tell Catherine about himself on his first day of work?
6. Describe Léon Grégoire and his life.
7. What happens in the Maheu house that makes the situation so desperate and deadly?
8. What happens to the strike of the miners as time goes by?
9. On pay day in October what angers the miners and what do they do about it?
10. What do the Montsou miners do when they leave Jean-Bart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In GERMINAL, there is a constant struggle between individualism and collectivism.
1. Give two examples of this struggle.
2. Do you think individualism is more destructive than collectivism? Why or why not?
3. Do you think the collective thinking of the miners caused more problems than it solved? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The weight of long-established traditions appears again when Chaval asserts his dominance over Catherine.
1. What do you think is the status of women at this time and place?
2. Do women seem to have more, less or about the same power as men?
3. Why do you think Chaval felt he owned Catherine after raping her?
Use examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses the environment to underline the symbolic value of Étienne Lantier's move from timid indignation to effective political action. For instance, Lantier and his supporters decide to leave the tavern of the Rasseneurs and move to another meeting place because the former serve "warm beer" and "bad soup."
1. What other situations in the environment to you see reflecting the situations with the miners?
2. How did Etienne's relationships with the miners and the Maheu family reflect his change from outsider to political leader?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)