|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of job did Etienne have previously?
2. How many members of the Maheu family work in the mines?
3. What is La Maheude given instead of food?
4. What does Etienne suggest the workers create?
5. Why is La Maheude upset about her family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Etienne and Catherine decide to do after the tragedy?
2. How does the company seem after the killing of the miners by the soldiers and what does it say?
3. How did Etienne get a job and what will he be doing?
4. What happens at the mine when the Borains arrive to work?
5. Describe Léon Grégoire and his life.
6. How do the Grégoires repond to La Maheude's request for help?
7. What does Etienne do after he is rescued?
8. What do the miners do once the visitors leave?
9. What do the Montsou miners do when they leave Jean-Bart?
10. What happens at the Hennebeaus' house when they are hosting a party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In a last burst of hope mixed with anger, the miners confront the army of guards in front of the mining pit. The miners lose. When two groups are opposed, the one that is most organized and structured ultimately wins.
1. Compare the situation of the miners with a situation in American history, for example the American Indians opposing the white man.
2. Do you believe the most powerful and organized always wins? Can the flea make the lion surrender?
3. How would this situation correlate with guerrilla warfare?
Essay Topic 2
As the miners march toward Montsou, their numbers grow; the more they grow, the more they feel certain of their success. This anticipated success leads the striking miners to commit acts they would not have the strength to perform individually.
1. How do the miners demonstrate the power of a crowd?
2. There are also examples of the power of an individual in the book. What were two of them?
Essay Topic 3
In GERMINAL, there is a constant struggle between individualism and collectivism.
1. Give two examples of this struggle.
2. Do you think individualism is more destructive than collectivism? Why or why not?
3. Do you think the collective thinking of the miners caused more problems than it solved? Why or why not?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)