|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Etienne see during his walk?
2. What is the atmosphere like in the Maheu household?
3. Where do the Grégoires live?
4. Who is Zacharie?
5. How is Chaval feeling about the relationship between Catherine and Etienne?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chaval's actions affect Catherine and how does Etienne feel about it?
2. What does the company tell the miners about the mine at Voreux in February?
3. What does Lantier do when the miners begin to reject him?
4. What do the women of the community try to get from Maigrat?
5. What happens outside the mine after the mine is flooded?
6. How does the company seem after the killing of the miners by the soldiers and what does it say?
7. Describe how Germinal starts out.
8. How is Chaval feeling about Catherine and Lantier with Etienne living there and what does he do about it?
9. What does Lantier talk to Deneulin about and what are the results?
10. On pay day in October what angers the miners and what do they do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zola uses a writing style and a combination of techniques that are equivalent to the painting style and techniques of the late nineteenth century impressionists.
1. How do you think Zola's writing style relates to the theme and plot of the book?
2. How do you think the impact of the book would change had Zola used a more concrete writing style?
Essay Topic 2
Léon Grégoire and his cousin, Deneulin have different beliefs about money, how to use it and how to make it.
1. What do you see as the difference between how Léon Grégoire views money versus Deneulin? Use examples from the text to support your opinion.
2. What groups of people in the United States today would correspond to each of the two men?
3. How do you personally view the use and making of money?
Essay Topic 3
In the end, the idealist Étienne Lantier traversed the world of the Voreux and though accomplished little in terms of actual gains, he left the miners with a will to fight; the seed of this may eventually grow and burst again through the infertile ground of the mining pit.
1. Do you think this book ended with any shred of hope? Why or why not?
2. If you had been a miner in this situation do you think you would try again? Why or why not?
Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)