|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is La Maheude given instead of food?
2. Why was Etienne fired from his previous job?
3. What is a ducasse?
4. Why does Bonnemort go outside to cough when the visitors are there?
5. What is the new capitalistic trend concerning money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Etienne tell Catherine about himself on his first day of work?
2. What happens to the strike of the miners as time goes by?
3. Why do Chaval and Etienne not get along?
4. Why does Catherine return home during the strike and what does she see?
5. What does Lantier do when the miners begin to reject him?
6. How did Etienne get a job and what will he be doing?
7. What happens to Etienne as he works in the mines, as far as his job is concerned?
8. How does the company seem after the killing of the miners by the soldiers and what does it say?
9. What is the Advantage and what happens there?
10. Why is it almost impossible by February for the miners to continue the strike?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There seems to be a huge gap between the rich and poor in this novel.
1. How is this difference shown in the book?
2. Do you see this gap existing in America today? Why or why not?
3. Do you see any morality issue with the gap between the very rich and the very poor?
Use examples to illustrate your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The triumphs of collectivism are short lived and their assurance follows the path of their deteriorating conditions of living.
1. Why and how do you think the triumphant collectivism of the miners being focused together deteriorated?
2. How do you think the focused collectivism of an organized body, such as an army, can remain stable as opposed to the miners?
3. Do you think organization and strong leadership are always necessary in order for a group to work together?
Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The third section of the novel draws a portrait of the events that lead the miners to go on strike. It also shows the evolution of Étienne Lantier's political ideas.
1. What do you see as the stages in the evolution of Lantier's thinking from sympathy with the miners to action?
2. How might Etienne Lantier's own weaknesses have pushed him to organize the miners?
3. How did his strengths help him?
Use examples from the book to support your opinions.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)