Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what name does Bonnemort's daughter-in-law go?
2. What happens to Etienne's relationship with Catherine when he moves into her home?
3. How do the visitors treat the people in the village?
4. What does Etienne create with advice from his friend Pluchart?
5. Why was Etienne fired from his previous job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Léon Grégoire and his life.
2. How does Etienne's move affect his relationship with Catherine?
3. What activist does Etienne meet at the Advantage and what do they do?
4. How did Etienne get a job and what will he be doing?
5. What is the social scene like in the village?
6. What does the company tell the miners about the mine at Voreux in February?
7. What do the Montsou miners do while the miners are working at the Jean-Bart mine?
8. What happens in the mine in November and what was the consequences?
9. How do the miners feel about Etienne Lantier and what do they do about it?
10. Chaval comes in the Advantage where Etienne is talking with Rasseneur. What does he announce and what happens between him and Etienne?
Essay Topic 1
The first chapter also introduces the "monster," which is the huge cone-like structure set over the pit that is described as a beast ready to eat the men that slave for it.
1. How did you feel about the mine from the way Zola described it?
2. Using metaphors and analogy describe the mine as Zola sees it.
3. Why do you think Zola used metaphors in his descriptions?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses the environment to underline the symbolic value of Étienne Lantier's move from timid indignation to effective political action. For instance, Lantier and his supporters decide to leave the tavern of the Rasseneurs and move to another meeting place because the former serve "warm beer" and "bad soup."
1. What other situations in the environment to you see reflecting the situations with the miners?
2. How did Etienne's relationships with the miners and the Maheu family reflect his change from outsider to political leader?
Essay Topic 3
Zola uses a writing style and a combination of techniques that are equivalent to the painting style and techniques of the late nineteenth century impressionists.
1. How do you think Zola's writing style relates to the theme and plot of the book?
2. How do you think the impact of the book would change had Zola used a more concrete writing style?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)