|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the supervisors fine the Maheu team?
2. What is the name of Bonnemort's family?
3. Who is Zacharie?
4. Who is Deneulin?
5. What does Etienne tell the miners he wants to fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the miners demand of Mr. Hennebeau?
2. What is the social scene like in the village?
3. In what type of situation does Bonnemort live?
4. How does Etienne's move affect his relationship with Catherine?
5. Souvarine and Etienne have a discussion after the tragedy of the shooting. What do they talk about and what does Souvarine do?
6. Where does Etienne move in August and why?
7. What happens in the mine with Chaval, Etienne and Catherine?
8. What is the Advantage and what happens there?
9. How did Etienne get a job and what will he be doing?
10. How does the company seem after the killing of the miners by the soldiers and what does it say?
Essay Topic 1
The implosion of the Voreux signifies the death of the starving monster. In a single strike of irony, the water flowing in the veins of the earth drowns the man-made hell.
1. What do you think this statement means?
2. What kind of picture do you see when you read Zola's descriptions of the undamaged and damaged mine?
Use examples from the text to illustrate your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Grégoire summarizes the entire position of the typical bourgeois.
1. What do you see as his position?
2. What parts of Gregoire's position do you believe is true? What parts do you see as false?
3. Do you believe the wealthy class in America today would agree with Gregoire's position on the miners? Why or why not?
Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Pluchart, Lantier's friend and the director of the International for the district, represents the unions and their self-serving attitude.
1. How does the behavior of the union support this statement?
2. Do you think the miners would have been better off if the union had never become involved in their lives? Why or Why not?
3. Do you think unions have a function in today's work world in consideration of all the labor laws? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,299 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)