|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bonnemort mean?
2. Why would visitors come to the mining village?
3. Who is the Voreux's manager?
4. Who brings in friends from Paris to see the mining town?
5. How does Chaval feel about Catherine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the miners decide on a delegation to meet with Hennebeau and what are the results of the meeting?
2. What does the company tell the miners about the mine at Voreux in February?
3. How does Chaval's actions affect Catherine and how does Etienne feel about it?
4. What does Lantier see Jeanlin do and how does he help the boy?
5. What happens outside the mine after the mine is flooded?
6. What happens to Etienne as he works in the mines, as far as his job is concerned?
7. What does Etienne tell Catherine about himself on his first day of work?
8. What happens at the mine when the Borains arrive to work?
9. What do the Jean-Bart miners face on the surface?
10. What does Etienne hear and see on his walk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fourth part of the novel outlines the positions of the two camps involved in the growing conflict - the miners and the Company's representatives.
1. Why do you think the mine owners are unwilling to listen to the miners?
2. Do you think the miners were demanding too much from the mine owners? Why or why not?
3. If you were a negotiator between these two groups how would you attempt to forge an agreement?
Essay Topic 2
In the first chapter, everything is set in the dark of night; the only lighting is provided either by the moonlight or by the fire burning inside the chunks of coal.
1. Why do you think GERMINAL starts at night?
2. How does the dark relate to the book's themes?
3. Did you see any foreshadowing from the darkness in the beginning of the book? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Léon Grégoire and his cousin, Deneulin have different beliefs about money, how to use it and how to make it.
1. What do you see as the difference between how Léon Grégoire views money versus Deneulin? Use examples from the text to support your opinion.
2. What groups of people in the United States today would correspond to each of the two men?
3. How do you personally view the use and making of money?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)