|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the mining settlement called where the novel takes place?
2. Who brings in friends from Paris to see the mining town?
3. What does Etienne see during his walk?
4. Why is Deneulin failing in his business?
5. How does Etienne become a good hewer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Etienne come to the mine?
2. What happens in the Maheu house that makes the situation so desperate and deadly?
3. What happens when Etienne knows he can no longer control the crowd of miners at Voreux?
4. What does Etienne tell Catherine about himself on his first day of work?
5. How do the miners feel about Etienne Lantier and what do they do about it?
6. How do the miners decide on a delegation to meet with Hennebeau and what are the results of the meeting?
7. What do the miners do once the visitors leave?
8. What happens outside the mine after the mine is flooded?
9. Why do Chaval and Etienne not get along?
10. What does Etienne hear and see on his walk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In a last burst of hope mixed with anger, the miners confront the army of guards in front of the mining pit. The miners lose. When two groups are opposed, the one that is most organized and structured ultimately wins.
1. Compare the situation of the miners with a situation in American history, for example the American Indians opposing the white man.
2. Do you believe the most powerful and organized always wins? Can the flea make the lion surrender?
3. How would this situation correlate with guerrilla warfare?
Essay Topic 2
Pluchart, Lantier's friend and the director of the International for the district, represents the unions and their self-serving attitude.
1. How does the behavior of the union support this statement?
2. Do you think the miners would have been better off if the union had never become involved in their lives? Why or Why not?
3. Do you think unions have a function in today's work world in consideration of all the labor laws? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The army is now occupying Montsou, which means that the miners are powerless, a situation which fuels even more ambivalent anger.
1. How do you think powerlessness engenders anger?
2. What are alternatives to anger to deal with powerlessness?
3. Do you believe the anger seen in some civil rights groups in the 1960s in America stemmed from feeling powerless? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)