|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a ducasse?
2. Who is Léon Grégoire?
3. What is the name of Bonnemort's family?
4. What does Etienne do about what he sees on his walk?
5. What does Lantier think he must do to save Catherine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in the mine with Chaval, Etienne and Catherine?
2. What do Etienne and Catherine decide to do after the tragedy?
3. How do the Grégoires repond to La Maheude's request for help?
4. Why were the Montsou miners angry at the Jean-Bart miners?
5. What happens to the strike of the miners as time goes by?
6. How is Chaval feeling about Catherine and Lantier with Etienne living there and what does he do about it?
7. What happens to Catherine at the Jean-Bart mine?
8. What does the company tell the miners about the mine at Voreux in February?
9. What do the women of the community try to get from Maigrat?
10. How do the women of the settlement feel about Maigrat's death and what do they do after it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The situation is desperate, with the miners having no food or heat. Zola draws an analogy of lack of coal as a source of collective energy (for the houses), which is correlated with the lack of food, a source of personal energy (for the body).
1. Discuss two other analogies that Zola uses in the miners' situation.
2. Do you think Zola's analogies are meant to be ambivalent to be powerful? Why or why not?
3. Would he have strengthened his position better with more concrete writing?
Essay Topic 2
The triumphs of collectivism are short lived and their assurance follows the path of their deteriorating conditions of living.
1. Why and how do you think the triumphant collectivism of the miners being focused together deteriorated?
2. How do you think the focused collectivism of an organized body, such as an army, can remain stable as opposed to the miners?
3. Do you think organization and strong leadership are always necessary in order for a group to work together?
Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In GERMINAL, there is a constant struggle between individualism and collectivism.
1. Give two examples of this struggle.
2. Do you think individualism is more destructive than collectivism? Why or why not?
3. Do you think the collective thinking of the miners caused more problems than it solved? Why or why not?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)