|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the atmosphere like in the Maheu household?
2. What does Etienne suggest the workers create?
3. How do the visitors feel about the Maheu children?
4. From what hereditary disease does Etienne suffer?
5. Why is Bonnemort delaying his retirement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Etienne see Jeanlin do one night and what does Etienne do and find out?
2. How does Chaval's actions affect Catherine and how does Etienne feel about it?
3. How do the women of the settlement feel about Maigrat's death and what do they do after it?
4. What does Etienne tell Catherine about himself on his first day of work?
5. What do the Montsou miners do when they leave Jean-Bart?
6. What happens in the Maheu house that makes the situation so desperate and deadly?
7. What happens in the mine in November and what was the consequences?
8. How does the company seem after the killing of the miners by the soldiers and what does it say?
9. Who is Denneulin and what does he want from Léon Grégoire?
10. Where does Etienne move in August and why?
Essay Topic 1
As the miners march toward Montsou, their numbers grow; the more they grow, the more they feel certain of their success. This anticipated success leads the striking miners to commit acts they would not have the strength to perform individually.
1. How do the miners demonstrate the power of a crowd?
2. There are also examples of the power of an individual in the book. What were two of them?
Essay Topic 2
The triumphs of collectivism are short lived and their assurance follows the path of their deteriorating conditions of living.
1. Why and how do you think the triumphant collectivism of the miners being focused together deteriorated?
2. How do you think the focused collectivism of an organized body, such as an army, can remain stable as opposed to the miners?
3. Do you think organization and strong leadership are always necessary in order for a group to work together?
Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The implosion of the Voreux signifies the death of the starving monster. In a single strike of irony, the water flowing in the veins of the earth drowns the man-made hell.
1. What do you think this statement means?
2. What kind of picture do you see when you read Zola's descriptions of the undamaged and damaged mine?
Use examples from the text to illustrate your discussion.
This section contains 2,300 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)