|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the activist miners say they have decided to leave the Advantage?
2. Who goes with Chaval when he leaves the Voreux?
3. Why do the supervisors fine the Maheu team?
4. What type of job did Etienne have previously?
5. Why do the Maheus invite Etienne to live with them?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the miners decide on a delegation to meet with Hennebeau and what are the results of the meeting?
2. What does Lantier create for the miners to join and what is one of his first projects?
3. What does Etienne do after he is rescued?
4. What do the Montsou miners do when they leave Jean-Bart?
5. What is the Advantage and what happens there?
6. What happens outside the mine after the mine is flooded?
7. Why do Chaval and Etienne not get along?
8. What has La Maheude troubled and what does she do about it?
9. What does Etienne hear and see on his walk?
10. What do Etienne and Catherine decide to do after the tragedy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The weight of long-established traditions appears again when Chaval asserts his dominance over Catherine.
1. What do you think is the status of women at this time and place?
2. Do women seem to have more, less or about the same power as men?
3. Why do you think Chaval felt he owned Catherine after raping her?
Use examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
The triumphs of collectivism are short lived and their assurance follows the path of their deteriorating conditions of living.
1. Why and how do you think the triumphant collectivism of the miners being focused together deteriorated?
2. How do you think the focused collectivism of an organized body, such as an army, can remain stable as opposed to the miners?
3. Do you think organization and strong leadership are always necessary in order for a group to work together?
Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Pluchart, Lantier's friend and the director of the International for the district, represents the unions and their self-serving attitude.
1. How does the behavior of the union support this statement?
2. Do you think the miners would have been better off if the union had never become involved in their lives? Why or Why not?
3. Do you think unions have a function in today's work world in consideration of all the labor laws? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,465 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)