|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what hereditary disease does Etienne suffer?
2. Who is Rasseneur?
3. What is a ducasse?
4. Why do the supervisors fine the Maheu team?
5. For what is Etienne hired?
Short Essay Questions
1. Souvarine and Etienne have a discussion after the tragedy of the shooting. What do they talk about and what does Souvarine do?
2. How do the Grégoires repond to La Maheude's request for help?
3. What does Deneulin ask of Chaval and what is the result?
4. What causes an accident in the mine after the miners go back to work?
5. What happens outside the mine after the mine is flooded?
6. What do the miners do once the visitors leave?
7. How do the miners feel about Etienne Lantier and what do they do about it?
8. What does Etienne hear and see on his walk?
9. What happens in the Maheu house that makes the situation so desperate and deadly?
10. How do the women of the settlement feel about Maigrat's death and what do they do after it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the miners march toward Montsou, their numbers grow; the more they grow, the more they feel certain of their success. This anticipated success leads the striking miners to commit acts they would not have the strength to perform individually.
1. How do the miners demonstrate the power of a crowd?
2. There are also examples of the power of an individual in the book. What were two of them?
Essay Topic 2
The triumphs of collectivism are short lived and their assurance follows the path of their deteriorating conditions of living.
1. Why and how do you think the triumphant collectivism of the miners being focused together deteriorated?
2. How do you think the focused collectivism of an organized body, such as an army, can remain stable as opposed to the miners?
3. Do you think organization and strong leadership are always necessary in order for a group to work together?
Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Grégoire summarizes the entire position of the typical bourgeois.
1. What do you see as his position?
2. What parts of Gregoire's position do you believe is true? What parts do you see as false?
3. Do you believe the wealthy class in America today would agree with Gregoire's position on the miners? Why or why not?
Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 2,430 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)