|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lantier think he must do to save Catherine?
2. Why does Chaval believe he owns Catherine?
3. With whom does Bonnemort live?
4. What type of job did Etienne have previously?
5. How many members of the Maheu family work in the mines?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lantier see Jeanlin do and how does he help the boy?
2. Who is Denneulin and what does he want from Léon Grégoire?
3. In what type of situation does Bonnemort live?
4. Describe a little of Bonnemort.
5. What do the women of the community try to get from Maigrat?
6. How does the company seem after the killing of the miners by the soldiers and what does it say?
7. What does Etienne hear and see on his walk?
8. Why does Catherine return home during the strike and what does she see?
9. What is the Advantage and what happens there?
10. Why were the Montsou miners angry at the Jean-Bart miners?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There seems to be a huge gap between the rich and poor in this novel.
1. How is this difference shown in the book?
2. Do you see this gap existing in America today? Why or why not?
3. Do you see any morality issue with the gap between the very rich and the very poor?
Use examples to illustrate your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The army is now occupying Montsou, which means that the miners are powerless, a situation which fuels even more ambivalent anger.
1. How do you think powerlessness engenders anger?
2. What are alternatives to anger to deal with powerlessness?
3. Do you believe the anger seen in some civil rights groups in the 1960s in America stemmed from feeling powerless? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The first chapter also introduces the "monster," which is the huge cone-like structure set over the pit that is described as a beast ready to eat the men that slave for it.
1. How did you feel about the mine from the way Zola described it?
2. Using metaphors and analogy describe the mine as Zola sees it.
3. Why do you think Zola used metaphors in his descriptions?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)