|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the atmosphere like in the Maheu household?
(a) sad and tired
2. What does Deneulin ask of Gregoire?
(a) to marry his daughter
(b) to invest in Gregoire's mine
(c) to borrow money
(d) to pay for Deneulin's schooling
3. How is Chaval feeling about the relationship between Catherine and Etienne?
(c) extremely jealous
4. Who is Léon Grégoire?
(a) an important investor in the mine
(b) the night watchman
(c) the Maheus' cousin
(d) Chaval's father
5. What is a ducasse?
(a) a board game
(b) a card game
(c) a local fair
(d) a type of duel
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Chaval go when the miners strike?
2. Why do the Maheus see Catherine moving out as a traitor act to the family?
3. What happens to Jeanlin in the accident in November in the mine?
4. How do the other miners see Etienne at work?
5. Why does Chaval believe he owns Catherine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Etienne as he works in the mines, as far as his job is concerned?
2. How do the miners decide on a delegation to meet with Hennebeau and what are the results of the meeting?
3. How does Chaval's actions affect Catherine and how does Etienne feel about it?
4. How does Etienne's move affect his relationship with Catherine?
5. How do the miners feel about the supervisors?
6. Why does Etienne Lantier set up a meeting with the miners and what happens at that meeting?
7. What has La Maheude troubled and what does she do about it?
8. How do the miners feel about Etienne Lantier and what do they do about it?
9. What do the Jean-Bart miners face on the surface?
10. What does Lantier see Jeanlin do and how does he help the boy?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)