|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Chaval feeling about the relationship between Catherine and Etienne?
(b) extremely jealous
2. Who is Rasseneur?
(a) the owner of Jean-Bart
(b) the owner of the Advantage
(c) the manager of Jean-Bart
(d) the owner of the Jolly Roger
3. What does Souvarine think is the solution to the miners' problems?
(a) working harder
(c) total destruction of everything
(d) banding together
4. With whom does Bonnemort live?
(a) his son
(b) his wife
(c) his daughter
(d) no one
5. How are the miners presented to the visitors?
(a) like animals in a zoo
(b) as stupid beasts of burden
(c) as hard working poor people
(d) as naughty children
Short Answer Questions
1. By what name does Bonnemort's daughter-in-law go?
2. Where does La Maheude go to ask for help?
3. What does the grocer want in order to help La Maheude?
4. What does Etienne create with advice from his friend Pluchart?
5. How does Etienne feel about the miners with whom he is working?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in the mine with Chaval, Etienne and Catherine?
2. What does Etienne do after he is rescued?
3. What do the women of the community try to get from Maigrat?
4. What does the company tell the miners about the mine at Voreux in February?
5. Describe how Germinal starts out.
6. What does Lantier talk to Deneulin about and what are the results?
7. In what type of situation does Bonnemort live?
8. What happens in the mine in November and what was the consequences?
9. What does Etienne hear and see on his walk?
10. How does Etienne's move affect his relationship with Catherine?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)