|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the mining settlement called where the novel takes place?
(a) Two Hundred and Forty
(b) Village de Mine
(c) Verus De
(d) Two Hundred
2. Why did the Grégoires refuse to help the miners?
(a) they hate poor people
(b) they believe the miners spend their money unwisely
(c) they believe God doesn't want them to
(d) they are almost broke themselves
3. How does Etienne feel about the miners with whom he is working?
4. What do the miners decide to do when the company lowers their pay?
(a) rob the mine's payroll
(b) destroy the mine
(c) kill the owner
(d) go on strike
5. What does Chaval do as Etienne is getting ready to kiss Catherine?
(a) dumps water on Etienne
(b) pulls Catherine away
(c) slips between them
(d) hits Etienne
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a ducasse?
2. What does Souvarine think is the solution to the miners' problems?
3. Who is Deneulin?
4. How old is Etienne Lantier?
5. Why does Chaval believe he owns Catherine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Etienne see Jeanlin do one night and what does Etienne do and find out?
2. How do the miners feel about Etienne Lantier and what do they do about it?
3. What is the social scene like in the village?
4. How do the miners feel about the supervisors?
5. What happens in the mine in November and what was the consequences?
6. What is the Advantage and what happens there?
7. Where does Etienne move in August and why?
8. How is Chaval feeling about Catherine and Lantier with Etienne living there and what does he do about it?
9. What does Etienne do after he is rescued?
10. In what type of situation does Bonnemort live?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)