|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many grandchildren does Bonnemort have?
2. What is a ducasse?
(a) a card game
(b) a board game
(c) a local fair
(d) a type of duel
3. Why does Chaval almost instantly dislike Etienne?
(a) he's jealous of him
(b) he reminds him of his father
(c) he feels like Etienne is too smart
(d) he feels superior to him
4. Who does Etienne hear talking as he walks?
(a) La Maheude and Bonnemort
(b) Jacques and Catherine
(c) Jeanlin and Coltier
(d) Chaval and Catherine
5. What does Etienne do about what he sees on his walk?
(a) he kills the criminal
(b) he watches the miners
(c) he reports the problem
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Etienne meet on the first day of the job that he likes?
2. What does Lantier think he must do to save Catherine?
3. For what is Etienne hired?
4. How do the mine owners lower the workers' pay in October?
5. What happens with the provident fund?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Advantage and what happens there?
2. What does the company tell the miners about the mine at Voreux in February?
3. How do the women of the settlement feel about Maigrat's death and what do they do after it?
4. Describe how Germinal starts out.
5. What happens outside the mine after the mine is flooded?
6. How does Chaval's actions affect Catherine and how does Etienne feel about it?
7. Why does Etienne Lantier set up a meeting with the miners and what happens at that meeting?
8. What is the social scene like in the village?
9. Why do Chaval and Etienne not get along?
10. What activist does Etienne meet at the Advantage and what do they do?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)