|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Léon Grégoire?
(a) the night watchman
(b) the Maheus' cousin
(c) Chaval's father
(d) an important investor in the mine
2. Why is Bonnemort delaying his retirement?
(a) he wants to keep his grandchildren safe
(b) to earn more money for retirement
(c) he has too many children to feed
(d) he likes working
3. What is a ducasse?
(a) a local fair
(b) a board game
(c) a type of duel
(d) a card game
4. Why do the Maheus see Catherine moving out as a traitor act to the family?
(a) her wages will be lost
(b) she is giving her money to Chaval
(c) she's living unmarried with a man
(d) she can't babysit the younger children
5. Who is Souvarine?
(a) a Russian anarchist
(b) Chaval's brother
(c) Catherine's boyfriend
(d) Etienne's team leader
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Etienne Lantier?
2. How does Chaval feel about Catherine?
3. Why is Deneulin failing in his business?
4. How do the visitors treat the people in the village?
5. From what hereditary disease does Etienne suffer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in the mine with Chaval, Etienne and Catherine?
2. Describe how Germinal starts out.
3. What do Etienne and Catherine decide to do after the tragedy?
4. Describe a little of Bonnemort.
5. What is the social scene like in the village?
6. How is Chaval feeling about Catherine and Lantier with Etienne living there and what does he do about it?
7. What happens in the Maheu house that makes the situation so desperate and deadly?
8. What does the company tell the miners about the mine at Voreux in February?
9. How do the miners decide on a delegation to meet with Hennebeau and what are the results of the meeting?
10. What do the Jean-Bart miners face on the surface?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)