|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the overman who hires Étienne Lantier?
(a) Dom Gernera
2. How many grandchildren does Bonnemort have?
3. Why do the Maheus invite Etienne to live with them?
(a) the oldest child left home
(b) Catherine wants to marry him
(c) they need more money
(d) they need help with the house
4. Where does Chaval go when the miners strike?
(a) to LaSalle
(b) to England
(c) to the Jean-Bart pit
(d) to Paris
5. Who is Deneulin?
(a) Catherine's boyfriend
(b) the manager of the mine
(c) a miner in Voreux
(d) Grégoire's cousin
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Etienne create with advice from his friend Pluchart?
2. From what hereditary disease does Etienne suffer?
3. Why is La Maheude upset about her family?
4. For what is Etienne hired?
5. Who is Rasseneur?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the miners feel about Etienne Lantier and what do they do about it?
2. On pay day in October what angers the miners and what do they do about it?
3. What happens when Etienne knows he can no longer control the crowd of miners at Voreux?
4. What do the women of the community try to get from Maigrat?
5. Where does Etienne move in August and why?
6. What does Lantier see Jeanlin do and how does he help the boy?
7. How do the miners get to their jobs?
8. After eating dinner in the second chapter what does Etienne do and why?
9. What happens to the strike of the miners as time goes by?
10. Describe Léon Grégoire and his life.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)