|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the mine owners lower the workers' pay in October?
(a) adds new fines
(b) makes the carts larger
(c) disguises it as a new mode of payment due
(d) adds new taxes
2. How does Chaval feel about Catherine?
(a) he likes her
(b) he respects her
(c) he loves her
(d) he feels nothing
3. What does Bonnemort tell Etienne about a job at the mine?
(a) there's no opening for a mechanic
(b) he could be a supervisor
(c) there's lots of work
(d) that they need a mechanic
4. Where did Léon Grégoire get his money?
(a) from his wife
(b) good investments
5. What is the name of Bonnemort's family?
(a) the Dauques family
(b) the Maheu family
(c) the Forty family
(d) the Marsades family
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the overman who hires Étienne Lantier?
2. What does Deneulin ask of Gregoire?
3. What does Chaval do as Etienne is getting ready to kiss Catherine?
4. What does Lantier think he must do to save Catherine?
5. Where does Chaval go when the miners strike?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what type of situation does Bonnemort live?
2. What activist does Etienne meet at the Advantage and what do they do?
3. How is Chaval feeling about Catherine and Lantier with Etienne living there and what does he do about it?
4. What happens in the mine with Chaval, Etienne and Catherine?
5. What does the company tell the miners about the mine at Voreux in February?
6. Why is it almost impossible by February for the miners to continue the strike?
7. What happens when Etienne knows he can no longer control the crowd of miners at Voreux?
8. What do the miners do once the visitors leave?
9. What has La Maheude troubled and what does she do about it?
10. Why has Etienne come to the mine?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)