|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Etienne Lantier?
(a) about 40
(b) about 30
(c) about 21
(d) about 18
2. What is the old aristocratic tradition as far as handling money?
(a) let someone else handle your money
(b) spend a lot of money for status
(c) use capital wisely and moderately
(d) don't worry about money
3. Why does Chaval believe he owns Catherine?
(a) because he is older than she
(b) because he took her virginity
(c) because he gives her money
(d) because they are engaged
4. How many members of the Maheu family work in the mines?
5. About what do Etienne and Souvarine talk?
(a) how to be a good hewer
(b) escaping the mines and going to Paris
(c) the future of the workers
(d) how to make money
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Etienne tell the miners he wants to fight?
2. Why do the Maheus invite Etienne to live with them?
3. What do the miners decide to do when the company lowers their pay?
4. When did Bonnemort begin working in the mine?
5. What does Etienne suggest the workers create?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the company seem after the killing of the miners by the soldiers and what does it say?
2. How does Chaval's actions affect Catherine and how does Etienne feel about it?
3. In what type of situation does Bonnemort live?
4. What happens outside the mine after the mine is flooded?
5. What does Lantier create for the miners to join and what is one of his first projects?
6. What do the miners do once the visitors leave?
7. What does Deneulin ask of Chaval and what is the result?
8. What activist does Etienne meet at the Advantage and what do they do?
9. What is the social scene like in the village?
10. What causes an accident in the mine after the miners go back to work?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)