|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Etienne do about what he sees on his walk?
(b) he reports the problem
(c) he kills the criminal
(d) he watches the miners
2. What does Etienne suggest the workers create?
(a) a different shift system
(b) a way to rotate workers
(c) a health plan
(d) a provident fund
3. Who goes with Chaval when he leaves the Voreux?
4. Why do the supervisors fine the Maheu team?
(a) for talking too much
(b) for faulty timbering
(c) for not meeting the daily quota
(d) for stopping work before lunch
5. With whom does Bonnemort live?
(a) his daughter
(b) no one
(c) his son
(d) his wife
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the innkeeper friendly with Etienne?
2. What is the new capitalistic trend concerning money?
3. How do the visitors feel about the Maheu children?
4. For what does Maheu get scolded by his boss?
5. How old is Etienne Lantier?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the miners get to their jobs?
2. What do the Montsou miners do when they leave Jean-Bart?
3. How do the women of the settlement feel about Maigrat's death and what do they do after it?
4. How do the Grégoires repond to La Maheude's request for help?
5. What happens in the mine with Chaval, Etienne and Catherine?
6. How does the company seem after the killing of the miners by the soldiers and what does it say?
7. What happens outside the mine after the mine is flooded?
8. On pay day in October what angers the miners and what do they do about it?
9. What do the Jean-Bart miners face on the surface?
10. What is the social scene like in the village?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)