|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the reasons Etienne thinks he might be working in the mine?
(a) he enjoys being underground
(b) he likes to mine coal
(c) he's drawn to Catherine
(d) he wants to own a coal mine
2. What does Etienne do about what he sees on his walk?
(b) he reports the problem
(c) he kills the criminal
(d) he watches the miners
3. Who is the Voreux's manager?
(b) Mr. LaFatette
(d) Mr. Hennebeau
4. What is a ducasse?
(a) a local fair
(b) a card game
(c) a type of duel
(d) a board game
5. How do the mine owners lower the workers' pay in October?
(a) adds new fines
(b) makes the carts larger
(c) disguises it as a new mode of payment due
(d) adds new taxes
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Etienne Lantier?
2. Why do the Maheus see Catherine moving out as a traitor act to the family?
3. What happens to Etienne's relationship with Catherine when he moves into her home?
4. What is Leon Grégoire's biggest concern in life?
5. How does Etienne feel about the miners with whom he is working?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lantier create for the miners to join and what is one of his first projects?
2. What happens in the mine with Chaval, Etienne and Catherine?
3. Where does Etienne move in August and why?
4. How does Etienne's move affect his relationship with Catherine?
5. What is the social scene like in the village?
6. How do the miners decide on a delegation to meet with Hennebeau and what are the results of the meeting?
7. What does Lantier see Jeanlin do and how does he help the boy?
8. Souvarine and Etienne have a discussion after the tragedy of the shooting. What do they talk about and what does Souvarine do?
9. What does Lantier talk to Deneulin about and what are the results?
10. Chaval comes in the Advantage where Etienne is talking with Rasseneur. What does he announce and what happens between him and Etienne?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)