|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the old aristocratic tradition as far as handling money?
(a) don't worry about money
(b) spend a lot of money for status
(c) use capital wisely and moderately
(d) let someone else handle your money
2. What does Deneulin ask of Gregoire?
(a) to marry his daughter
(b) to invest in Gregoire's mine
(c) to borrow money
(d) to pay for Deneulin's schooling
3. Why is the innkeeper friendly with Etienne?
(a) he knows Pluchart
(b) he has money
(c) Etienne buys everyone drinks
(d) he likes new people
4. What does the grocer want in order to help La Maheude?
(a) one of La Maheude's family heirlooms
(b) La Maheude to sleep with him
(c) Catherine to come to the store
(d) La Maheude to work for him
5. Who goes with Chaval when he leaves the Voreux?
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Bonnemort live?
2. From what hereditary disease does Etienne suffer?
3. How does Etienne become a good hewer?
4. What is La Maheude given instead of food?
5. Who is Deneulin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Montsou miners do when they leave Jean-Bart?
2. What does Lantier see Jeanlin do and how does he help the boy?
3. What does Lantier create for the miners to join and what is one of his first projects?
4. How is Chaval feeling about Catherine and Lantier with Etienne living there and what does he do about it?
5. How does the company seem after the killing of the miners by the soldiers and what does it say?
6. What does the company tell the miners about the mine at Voreux in February?
7. What do the miners demand of Mr. Hennebeau?
8. What causes an accident in the mine after the miners go back to work?
9. What happens in the Maheu house that makes the situation so desperate and deadly?
10. What activist does Etienne meet at the Advantage and what do they do?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)