|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the type of people who tend to go to the Advantage?
(a) older men
(b) dissatified workers
(c) young people
(d) mine management
2. What does Souvarine think is the solution to the miners' problems?
(b) banding together
(c) working harder
(d) total destruction of everything
3. What is the house number where Bonnemort lives?
(a) number 16
(b) number 24
(c) number 33
(d) number 18
4. What does Etienne suggest the workers create?
(a) a health plan
(b) a way to rotate workers
(c) a different shift system
(d) a provident fund
5. What is La Maheude given instead of food?
(a) a job
(b) clothes for the children
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Bonnemort work inside the Voreux anymore?
2. What does Etienne create with advice from his friend Pluchart?
3. How do the visitors treat the people in the village?
4. Where does Etienne Lantier arrive the night at the beginning of the novel?
5. What type of job did Etienne have previously?
Short Essay Questions
1. On pay day in October what angers the miners and what do they do about it?
2. What happens to Catherine at the Jean-Bart mine?
3. After eating dinner in the second chapter what does Etienne do and why?
4. How do the women of the settlement feel about Maigrat's death and what do they do after it?
5. Chaval comes in the Advantage where Etienne is talking with Rasseneur. What does he announce and what happens between him and Etienne?
6. What do the Jean-Bart miners face on the surface?
7. How does Chaval's actions affect Catherine and how does Etienne feel about it?
8. What does Etienne hear and see on his walk?
9. What does Mrs. Hennebeau do in the second section of the book?
10. What does Lantier talk to Deneulin about and what are the results?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)