|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Deneulin ask of Gregoire?
(a) to pay for Deneulin's schooling
(b) to invest in Gregoire's mine
(c) to marry his daughter
(d) to borrow money
2. Who is the overman who hires Étienne Lantier?
(b) Dom Gernera
3. Why can't Bonnemort work inside the Voreux anymore?
(a) his leg is broken
(b) he is too old
(c) he is sick and disabled
(d) he is not able to think due to a brain injury
4. How many members of the Maheu family work in the mines?
5. Who is Deneulin?
(a) a miner in Voreux
(b) Grégoire's cousin
(c) the manager of the mine
(d) Catherine's boyfriend
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes with Chaval when he leaves the Voreux?
2. What happens to Jeanlin in the accident in November in the mine?
3. How do the visitors treat the people in the village?
4. Who is Souvarine?
5. Who is the Voreux's manager?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Etienne come to the mine?
2. What does Etienne do after he is rescued?
3. What does Lantier talk to Deneulin about and what are the results?
4. What happens at the mine when the Borains arrive to work?
5. Describe Léon Grégoire and his life.
6. What does Lantier see Jeanlin do and how does he help the boy?
7. What happens to Catherine at the Jean-Bart mine?
8. Where does Etienne move in August and why?
9. What do Etienne and Catherine decide to do after the tragedy?
10. What happens outside the mine after the mine is flooded?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)