|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of job did Etienne have previously?
(a) a mechanic
(b) an engineer
(c) a manager
(d) an artist
2. Why does Chaval believe he owns Catherine?
(a) because they are engaged
(b) because he is older than she
(c) because he gives her money
(d) because he took her virginity
3. Where do the Grégoires live?
(c) at the village
(d) near Montsou
4. What happens with the provident fund?
(a) it grows slowly
(b) it grows quickly
(c) Etienne steals from it
(d) it never gets off the ground
5. What does Etienne do about what he sees on his walk?
(a) he kills the criminal
(b) he reports the problem
(c) he watches the miners
Short Answer Questions
1. What is La Maheude given instead of food?
2. Why do the miners hate the supervisors?
3. Who does Etienne meet on the first day of the job that he likes?
4. Why is Deneulin failing in his business?
5. For what does Maheu get scolded by his boss?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Grégoires repond to La Maheude's request for help?
2. What does Lantier talk to Deneulin about and what are the results?
3. What happens to the strike of the miners as time goes by?
4. What does Lantier do when the miners begin to reject him?
5. After eating dinner in the second chapter what does Etienne do and why?
6. What happens in the Maheu house that makes the situation so desperate and deadly?
7. Why does Catherine return home during the strike and what does she see?
8. What causes an accident in the mine after the miners go back to work?
9. How did Etienne get a job and what will he be doing?
10. What do the miners demand of Mr. Hennebeau?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)