|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Chaval believe he owns Catherine?
(a) because he is older than she
(b) because they are engaged
(c) because he gives her money
(d) because he took her virginity
2. What does Chaval do as Etienne is getting ready to kiss Catherine?
(a) dumps water on Etienne
(b) pulls Catherine away
(c) hits Etienne
(d) slips between them
3. Why is Bonnemort delaying his retirement?
(a) he likes working
(b) to earn more money for retirement
(c) he has too many children to feed
(d) he wants to keep his grandchildren safe
4. When did Bonnemort begin working in the mine?
(a) at 16 years old
(b) at 12 years old
(c) at 8 years old
(d) at 5 years old
5. For what does Maheu get scolded by his boss?
(a) leaving a rotten timber in place
(b) dropping a cart
(c) being late to work
(d) having Etienne live with them
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the house number where Bonnemort lives?
2. Why do the activist miners say they have decided to leave the Advantage?
3. Why is Deneulin failing in his business?
4. What does Deneulin ask of Gregoire?
5. How is Chaval feeling about the relationship between Catherine and Etienne?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Etienne move in August and why?
2. In what type of situation does Bonnemort live?
3. Describe Léon Grégoire and his life.
4. What happens to Catherine at the Jean-Bart mine?
5. After eating dinner in the second chapter what does Etienne do and why?
6. What happens at the Hennebeaus' house when they are hosting a party?
7. Why is it almost impossible by February for the miners to continue the strike?
8. How did Etienne get a job and what will he be doing?
9. What activist does Etienne meet at the Advantage and what do they do?
10. What does Lantier create for the miners to join and what is one of his first projects?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)