|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By what name does Bonnemort's daughter-in-law go?
(b) La Maheude
2. What happens to Etienne's relationship with Catherine when he moves into her home?
(a) it falls apart
(b) it gets stronger
(c) it becomes physical
3. How do the visitors treat the people in the village?
(a) with irritation
(b) with kindness
(c) with aloofness
(d) with surface politeness
4. What does Etienne create with advice from his friend Pluchart?
(a) a new way to hew
(b) a new pay system
(c) a new system of managment
(d) a workers' union
5. Why was Etienne fired from his previous job?
(a) being too friendly with the owner's daughter
(b) hitting a supervisor
(c) political activity
(d) drinking on the job
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the Grégoires refuse to help the miners?
2. Where does Chaval go when the miners strike?
3. Who does Etienne hear talking as he walks?
4. How does Etienne feel about the miners with whom he is working?
5. What is a ducasse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Léon Grégoire and his life.
2. How does Etienne's move affect his relationship with Catherine?
3. What activist does Etienne meet at the Advantage and what do they do?
4. How did Etienne get a job and what will he be doing?
5. What is the social scene like in the village?
6. What does the company tell the miners about the mine at Voreux in February?
7. What do the Montsou miners do while the miners are working at the Jean-Bart mine?
8. What happens in the mine in November and what was the consequences?
9. How do the miners feel about Etienne Lantier and what do they do about it?
10. Chaval comes in the Advantage where Etienne is talking with Rasseneur. What does he announce and what happens between him and Etienne?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)