|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Chaval feel about Catherine?
(a) he respects her
(b) he loves her
(c) he feels nothing
(d) he likes her
2. Where does La Maheude go to ask for help?
(a) the priest
(b) the charity center
(c) the bank
(d) the Grégoires
3. What is one of the reasons Etienne thinks he might be working in the mine?
(a) he's drawn to Catherine
(b) he wants to own a coal mine
(c) he enjoys being underground
(d) he likes to mine coal
4. Who is the overman who hires Étienne Lantier?
(c) Dom Gernera
5. How does Léon Grégoire make his money?
(a) from the mine profits
(b) he's a banker
(c) from the grocery store
(d) he's a trader
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lantier think he must do to save Catherine?
2. What do the miners decide to do when the company lowers their pay?
3. What does Chaval do as Etienne is getting ready to kiss Catherine?
4. What happens to Etienne's relationship with Catherine when he moves into her home?
5. By what name does Bonnemort's daughter-in-law go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Denneulin and what does he want from Léon Grégoire?
2. What happens outside the mine after the mine is flooded?
3. On pay day in October what angers the miners and what do they do about it?
4. What happens to Catherine at the Jean-Bart mine?
5. How does Chaval's actions affect Catherine and how does Etienne feel about it?
6. Why is it almost impossible by February for the miners to continue the strike?
7. What do the Jean-Bart miners face on the surface?
8. What does the company tell the miners about the mine at Voreux in February?
9. How do the miners feel about Etienne Lantier and what do they do about it?
10. What does Lantier create for the miners to join and what is one of his first projects?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)