|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the other miners see Etienne at work?
(a) as stupid
(b) as too hard working
(c) as an educated person
(d) as lazy
2. How do the visitors treat the people in the village?
(a) with kindness
(b) with surface politeness
(c) with irritation
(d) with aloofness
3. Who is Rasseneur?
(a) the manager of Jean-Bart
(b) the owner of the Jolly Roger
(c) the owner of the Advantage
(d) the owner of Jean-Bart
4. How does Chaval feel about Catherine?
(a) he feels nothing
(b) he likes her
(c) he loves her
(d) he respects her
5. What happens with the provident fund?
(a) it grows quickly
(b) it never gets off the ground
(c) it grows slowly
(d) Etienne steals from it
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the supervisors fine the Maheu team?
2. Why is Bonnemort delaying his retirement?
3. Why do the Maheus invite Etienne to live with them?
4. Why does Chaval believe he owns Catherine?
5. What type of job did Etienne have previously?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes an accident in the mine after the miners go back to work?
2. What happens when Etienne knows he can no longer control the crowd of miners at Voreux?
3. Souvarine and Etienne have a discussion after the tragedy of the shooting. What do they talk about and what does Souvarine do?
4. What does Lantier do when the miners begin to reject him?
5. What happens to the strike of the miners as time goes by?
6. How do the miners feel about the supervisors?
7. What does Lantier create for the miners to join and what is one of his first projects?
8. Why is it almost impossible by February for the miners to continue the strike?
9. What does Deneulin ask of Chaval and what is the result?
10. What do the women of the community try to get from Maigrat?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)