|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of job did Etienne have previously?
(a) a manager
(b) an engineer
(c) an artist
(d) a mechanic
2. How does Chaval feel about Catherine?
(a) he loves her
(b) he feels nothing
(c) he likes her
(d) he respects her
3. Where does Etienne go to rent a room?
(a) Le Voreux
(c) the Jolly Fellow
(d) the Advantage
4. When did Bonnemort begin working in the mine?
(a) at 8 years old
(b) at 16 years old
(c) at 12 years old
(d) at 5 years old
5. What do the miners decide to do when the company lowers their pay?
(a) destroy the mine
(b) go on strike
(c) rob the mine's payroll
(d) kill the owner
Short Answer Questions
1. Why would visitors come to the mining village?
2. What is the house number where Bonnemort lives?
3. Why does Chaval believe he owns Catherine?
4. What does Bonnemort mean?
5. What does Etienne see during his walk?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Chaval feeling about Catherine and Lantier with Etienne living there and what does he do about it?
2. How do the miners get to their jobs?
3. Why has Etienne come to the mine?
4. After eating dinner in the second chapter what does Etienne do and why?
5. What happens to the strike of the miners as time goes by?
6. How do the Grégoires repond to La Maheude's request for help?
7. How do the women of the settlement feel about Maigrat's death and what do they do after it?
8. In what type of situation does Bonnemort live?
9. What activist does Etienne meet at the Advantage and what do they do?
10. What happens to Etienne as he works in the mines, as far as his job is concerned?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)