|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Deneulin failing in his business?
(a) he is stupid
(b) his accountant steals from him
(c) he lacks management skills
(d) he has lazy workers
2. What do the miners decide to do when the company lowers their pay?
(a) rob the mine's payroll
(b) go on strike
(c) kill the owner
(d) destroy the mine
3. Where does Etienne go to rent a room?
(a) Le Voreux
(b) the Advantage
(c) the Jolly Fellow
4. What is the mining settlement called where the novel takes place?
(a) Two Hundred
(b) Village de Mine
(c) Two Hundred and Forty
(d) Verus De
5. Why do the supervisors fine the Maheu team?
(a) for faulty timbering
(b) for stopping work before lunch
(c) for talking too much
(d) for not meeting the daily quota
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the miners presented to the visitors?
2. What type of job did Etienne have previously?
3. What is the new capitalistic trend concerning money?
4. Why can't Bonnemort work inside the Voreux anymore?
5. For what is Etienne hired?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the company seem after the killing of the miners by the soldiers and what does it say?
2. What is the social scene like in the village?
3. What do Etienne and Catherine decide to do after the tragedy?
4. How do the Grégoires repond to La Maheude's request for help?
5. What does Etienne do after he is rescued?
6. What does Deneulin ask of Chaval and what is the result?
7. What do the Montsou miners do when they leave Jean-Bart?
8. How did Etienne get a job and what will he be doing?
9. What do the miners do once the visitors leave?
10. What do the Jean-Bart miners face on the surface?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)