|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Chaval believe he owns Catherine?
(a) because they are engaged
(b) because he is older than she
(c) because he took her virginity
(d) because he gives her money
2. Why does Bonnemort go outside to cough when the visitors are there?
(a) so he won't scare them
(b) so he won't get anything on them
(c) so they don't know he's sick
(d) so he won't be embarrassed
3. Why is Deneulin failing in his business?
(a) he has lazy workers
(b) he lacks management skills
(c) his accountant steals from him
(d) he is stupid
4. Why was Etienne fired from his previous job?
(a) political activity
(b) hitting a supervisor
(c) drinking on the job
(d) being too friendly with the owner's daughter
5. What does Etienne see during his walk?
(a) the rape of La Maheude
(b) stealing from the grocery store
(c) the rape of Catherine
(d) the mine being worked
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the visitors treat the people in the village?
2. What does Etienne suggest the workers create?
3. Why did the Grégoires refuse to help the miners?
4. How do the visitors feel about the Maheu children?
5. How is Chaval feeling about the relationship between Catherine and Etienne?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe a little of Bonnemort.
2. How do the women of the settlement feel about Maigrat's death and what do they do after it?
3. What has La Maheude troubled and what does she do about it?
4. How did Etienne get a job and what will he be doing?
5. What happens to the strike of the miners as time goes by?
6. How does Chaval's actions affect Catherine and how does Etienne feel about it?
7. What does Lantier talk to Deneulin about and what are the results?
8. What happens in the Maheu house that makes the situation so desperate and deadly?
9. What is the social scene like in the village?
10. What does Lantier create for the miners to join and what is one of his first projects?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)