|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Deneulin ask of Gregoire?
(a) to borrow money
(b) to marry his daughter
(c) to invest in Gregoire's mine
(d) to pay for Deneulin's schooling
2. Why can't Bonnemort work inside the Voreux anymore?
(a) his leg is broken
(b) he is sick and disabled
(c) he is too old
(d) he is not able to think due to a brain injury
3. About what do Etienne and Souvarine talk?
(a) escaping the mines and going to Paris
(b) how to make money
(c) the future of the workers
(d) how to be a good hewer
4. What are the type of people who tend to go to the Advantage?
(a) dissatified workers
(b) mine management
(c) older men
(d) young people
5. With whom does Bonnemort live?
(a) no one
(b) his wife
(c) his son
(d) his daughter
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Etienne Lantier arrive the night at the beginning of the novel?
2. Why does Bonnemort go outside to cough when the visitors are there?
3. Where do the Grégoires live?
4. What happens in the Maheu family as the strike is called?
5. By what name does Bonnemort's daughter-in-law go?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the miners feel about Etienne Lantier and what do they do about it?
2. How do the miners feel about the supervisors?
3. What happens at the mine when the Borains arrive to work?
4. What do Etienne and Catherine decide to do after the tragedy?
5. On pay day in October what angers the miners and what do they do about it?
6. What does Lantier see Jeanlin do and how does he help the boy?
7. What causes an accident in the mine after the miners go back to work?
8. Why has Etienne come to the mine?
9. How do the miners get to their jobs?
10. What does Etienne see Jeanlin do one night and what does Etienne do and find out?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)