|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chaval do as Etienne is getting ready to kiss Catherine?
(a) pulls Catherine away
(b) dumps water on Etienne
(c) hits Etienne
(d) slips between them
2. Why does Chaval believe he owns Catherine?
(a) because he gives her money
(b) because he took her virginity
(c) because he is older than she
(d) because they are engaged
3. Who is the overman who hires Étienne Lantier?
(c) Dom Gernera
4. Who brings in friends from Paris to see the mining town?
(c) Mrs. Hennebeau
(d) the Grégoires
5. With whom does Bonnemort live?
(a) no one
(b) his son
(c) his wife
(d) his daughter
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does La Maheude go to ask for help?
2. How does Chaval feel about Catherine?
3. Why do the Maheus see Catherine moving out as a traitor act to the family?
4. What does Etienne see during his walk?
5. Where did Léon Grégoire get his money?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the Montsou miners angry at the Jean-Bart miners?
2. What is the Advantage and what happens there?
3. What happens in the mine with Chaval, Etienne and Catherine?
4. What does the company tell the miners about the mine at Voreux in February?
5. What does Deneulin ask of Chaval and what is the result?
6. What has La Maheude troubled and what does she do about it?
7. What happens at the Hennebeaus' house when they are hosting a party?
8. What happens in the Maheu house that makes the situation so desperate and deadly?
9. In what type of situation does Bonnemort live?
10. What does Lantier do when the miners begin to reject him?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)