|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why would visitors come to the mining village?
(a) they are related to Mrs. Hennebeau
(b) they're related to some mine investors
(c) they want to see how poor people live
(d) they aren't wealthy enough for Paris
2. What does Etienne suggest the workers create?
(a) a way to rotate workers
(b) a provident fund
(c) a different shift system
(d) a health plan
3. Why can't Bonnemort work inside the Voreux anymore?
(a) he is too old
(b) he is not able to think due to a brain injury
(c) his leg is broken
(d) he is sick and disabled
4. What does Bonnemort tell Etienne about a job at the mine?
(a) that they need a mechanic
(b) he could be a supervisor
(c) there's no opening for a mechanic
(d) there's lots of work
5. Who does Etienne hear talking as he walks?
(a) La Maheude and Bonnemort
(b) Jeanlin and Coltier
(c) Jacques and Catherine
(d) Chaval and Catherine
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Chaval believe he owns Catherine?
2. Who goes with Chaval when he leaves the Voreux?
3. How many grandchildren does Bonnemort have?
4. Where did Léon Grégoire get his money?
5. What does Etienne tell the miners he wants to fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the social scene like in the village?
2. Describe a little of Bonnemort.
3. After eating dinner in the second chapter what does Etienne do and why?
4. What causes an accident in the mine after the miners go back to work?
5. How did Etienne get a job and what will he be doing?
6. Why were the Montsou miners angry at the Jean-Bart miners?
7. Describe how Germinal starts out.
8. What happens at the Hennebeaus' house when they are hosting a party?
9. Where does Etienne move in August and why?
10. What do the miners do once the visitors leave?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)