|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the miners hate the supervisors?
(a) they don't work much
(b) they hit the miners with whips
(c) they have more money than the miners
(d) they're mean and fine them too much
2. What does Souvarine think is the solution to the miners' problems?
(a) working harder
(b) total destruction of everything
(d) banding together
3. Why is Deneulin failing in his business?
(a) he lacks management skills
(b) he is stupid
(c) he has lazy workers
(d) his accountant steals from him
4. Why is the innkeeper friendly with Etienne?
(a) Etienne buys everyone drinks
(b) he has money
(c) he likes new people
(d) he knows Pluchart
5. What does Bonnemort tell Etienne about a job at the mine?
(a) that they need a mechanic
(b) there's lots of work
(c) he could be a supervisor
(d) there's no opening for a mechanic
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Chaval feeling about the relationship between Catherine and Etienne?
2. What is a ducasse?
3. What is the new capitalistic trend concerning money?
4. How do the mine owners lower the workers' pay in October?
5. How many grandchildren does Bonnemort have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Etienne see Jeanlin do one night and what does Etienne do and find out?
2. How does Etienne's move affect his relationship with Catherine?
3. How does the company seem after the killing of the miners by the soldiers and what does it say?
4. What do the women of the community try to get from Maigrat?
5. How do the Grégoires repond to La Maheude's request for help?
6. What happens outside the mine after the mine is flooded?
7. How is Chaval feeling about Catherine and Lantier with Etienne living there and what does he do about it?
8. How does Chaval's actions affect Catherine and how does Etienne feel about it?
9. On pay day in October what angers the miners and what do they do about it?
10. What activist does Etienne meet at the Advantage and what do they do?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)