|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Bonnemort delaying his retirement?
(a) he has too many children to feed
(b) he wants to keep his grandchildren safe
(c) to earn more money for retirement
(d) he likes working
2. What do the miners decide to do when the company lowers their pay?
(a) go on strike
(b) kill the owner
(c) destroy the mine
(d) rob the mine's payroll
3. Why do the miners hate the supervisors?
(a) they don't work much
(b) they're mean and fine them too much
(c) they have more money than the miners
(d) they hit the miners with whips
4. How does Chaval feel about Catherine?
(a) he respects her
(b) he likes her
(c) he feels nothing
(d) he loves her
5. By what name does Bonnemort's daughter-in-law go?
(c) La Maheude
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the supervisors fine the Maheu team?
2. About what do Etienne and Souvarine talk?
3. What happens to Jeanlin in the accident in November in the mine?
4. What is the mining settlement called where the novel takes place?
5. Who is Deneulin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the women of the settlement feel about Maigrat's death and what do they do after it?
2. Why has Etienne come to the mine?
3. Why were the Montsou miners angry at the Jean-Bart miners?
4. What do the Montsou miners do when they leave Jean-Bart?
5. What do Etienne and Catherine decide to do after the tragedy?
6. What does Etienne do after he is rescued?
7. What does Lantier create for the miners to join and what is one of his first projects?
8. What happens to Catherine at the Jean-Bart mine?
9. Describe how Germinal starts out.
10. What does the company tell the miners about the mine at Voreux in February?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)