|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the miners go when they leave the Hennebeaus?
(b) to the grocery store
(c) to church
(d) to the tavern
2. Of what does Lantier try to convince Deneulin?
(a) to keep Jean-Bart running
(b) to take on more miners
(c) that all mines must strike
(d) to fire Chaval
3. Why does Lantier decide to hide?
(a) Chaval is going to kill him
(b) the miners are mad at him
(c) his old supervisor is looking for him
(d) he steals some food
4. What do the Montsu miners do after they are finished at the Jean-Bart mine?
(a) go to other mines
(b) tear down Deneulin's house
(c) head to the Hennebeaus
(d) go home
5. Who is waiting for the Jean-Bart miners when they exit the mine?
(c) the Montsou miners
6. What does Pluchart say are the union's goals?
(a) the emancipation of the workers
(b) to destroy the mines
(c) to make everyone rich
(d) to help all people, rich and poor
7. Where does Lantier hide?
(a) in Jeanlin's burrow
(b) in Paris
(c) in the forest
(d) in the Advantage
8. What does Etienne talk about with his new friend?
(a) their families and homes
(b) the war
(d) the strike
9. Who is knocked out in the Jean-Bart explosion?
10. What happens after Chaval makes his announcement at the Advantage?
(a) he leaves
(b) other miners congratulate him
(c) Lantier and he fight
11. By January, what problem do the striking miners face?
(a) cold and hunger
(b) lack of sunshine
(c) owners destroying the mines
(d) thugs beating them up
12. What does Maheu ask of Hennebeau?
(a) to be made a supervisor in the mine
(b) justice and for bread every day
(c) to join the union
(d) for money to feed his family
13. How does Etienne help Jeanlin?
(a) giving him a place to live
(b) to cover up his actions
(c) teaching him to read
(d) giving him food
14. What do the Montsou miners do at the Mirou pit?
(a) try to force the workers to stop
(c) burn it
(d) destroy it
15. Who comes to the Maheu house with food for the family?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the miners organize a meeting in the forest?
2. Why does Etienne come out from hiding?
3. How does Grégoire feel about what the miners want?
4. What do the miners decide to do about Jean-Bart?
5. Why do the miners sign up with the union?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)