|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the miners do at the entrance to the mine?
(a) attack the Borains
(b) kill the soldiers
(c) yell curses and insults
(d) destroy the cable
2. When is the provident fund started by Etienne empty?
(a) in January
(b) by December
(c) by November
(d) by March
3. What do the Montsou miners do when the Jean-Bart miners come to the surface?
(a) line up so they have to walk through them
(b) yell at them
(c) throw rocks at them
(d) beat them up
4. Why do the miners sign up with the union?
(a) they believe Pluchart's speech
(b) they have no where else to turn
(c) they think the union will bring down the rich
(d) they think the union will feed them
5. What does the mine owners announce Négrel is doing?
(a) going to bring back foreign miners
(b) going to shut down the mine permanently
(c) going to revamp the mine
6. How do the miners leave if the cable is cut?
(a) walk the tunnel
(b) safety ladders
(c) ropes thrown down
(d) ride the mine carts
7. How does Grégoire feel about what the miners want?
(a) he's indifferent to them
(b) they should be content with what they have
(c) he hates them
(d) he agrees with them
8. Why does Lantier decide to hide?
(a) he steals some food
(b) the miners are mad at him
(c) Chaval is going to kill him
(d) his old supervisor is looking for him
9. What does Etienne think about his position as leader in the strike?
(a) it's a lot of responsibility
(b) he doesn't think he can do it
(c) he doesn't want it
(d) he's depressed about it
10. What causes an explosion at the Jean-Bart mine?
(a) coal dust igniting
(b) dynamite lit by miners
(c) timbers that catch on fire
(d) a fired lamp
11. Who owns the Jean-Bart mine?
(a) Jacques Lefattle
(b) Léon Grégoire
12. What does Chaval announce when he comes to the Advantage during the strike?
(a) he's now a supervisor
(b) he will return to work
(c) he is going to marry Catherine
(d) he's going to Paris
13. What does Rasseneur feel about the strike?
(a) it should go on
(b) it's working
(c) it's useless and absurd
(d) excited that it happened
14. Why is the meeting of the miners and Lantier stopped early?
(a) the police come
(b) the miners decide to end the strike
(c) the miners attack him
(d) the owners agree to the demands
15. What is one of the mines left working after the strike has spread?
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Négrel hold at the mine?
2. What do the miners demand of Mr. Hennebeau?
3. Who is knocked out in the Jean-Bart explosion?
4. What is hiding like for Etienne?
5. Who comes to the Maheu house with food for the family?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)