|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is the provident fund started by Etienne empty?
(a) by March
(b) by November
(c) in January
(d) by December
2. Who owns the Jean-Bart mine?
(a) Jacques Lefattle
(c) Léon Grégoire
3. How much do the miners' actions at the Jean-Bart mine affect work there?
(a) it doesn't affect it
(b) it slows work down
(c) it means the work force has to double
(d) it is now impossible
4. Who intervenes at the Hennebearus' to save Cécile?
5. What happens to Alzire?
(a) he goes back to work
(b) he dies
(c) he becomes disabled
(d) he gets better
6. Why is the meeting of the miners and Lantier stopped early?
(a) the miners attack him
(b) the miners decide to end the strike
(c) the owners agree to the demands
(d) the police come
7. What do the miners do to the soldiers?
(a) yell at them
(b) push them back
(c) throw them in the mine
(d) attack them
8. By January, what problem do the striking miners face?
(a) lack of sunshine
(b) cold and hunger
(c) thugs beating them up
(d) owners destroying the mines
9. Where does Etienne see Jeanlin go one evening?
(a) through a hidden hole
(b) to the Hennebeaus'
(c) to Denneulin
(d) to Chaval
10. What happens to Maigrat when he runs from the miners?
(a) he sprains his ankle
(b) he gets beat up
(c) he gets away
(d) he is killed
11. What do the miners demand of Mr. Hennebeau?
(a) to shut down the mine
(b) to leave town
(c) to give them better health care
(d) to have a meeting
12. What job does Négrel hold at the mine?
(a) a supervisor
(b) a hewer
(c) an engineer
(d) a carter
13. What does Chaval announce when he comes to the Advantage during the strike?
(a) he will return to work
(b) he's now a supervisor
(c) he is going to marry Catherine
(d) he's going to Paris
14. What do the Montsou miners do at the Mirou pit?
(b) try to force the workers to stop
(c) destroy it
(d) burn it
15. Why does Lantier decide to hide?
(a) his old supervisor is looking for him
(b) the miners are mad at him
(c) Chaval is going to kill him
(d) he steals some food
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the mine owners announce Négrel is doing?
2. What do the miners decide to do about Jean-Bart?
3. Why does Etienne come out from hiding?
4. Who does the owner of the Jean-Bart mine convince to stop the strike?
5. What does Hennebeau tell the miners?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)