|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has come to Montsou because of the strike?
(a) private detectives
(b) the mine owners
(c) the army
(d) the governor
2. What does Etienne think about his position as leader in the strike?
(a) he's depressed about it
(b) it's a lot of responsibility
(c) he doesn't think he can do it
(d) he doesn't want it
3. Who does the owner of the Jean-Bart mine convince to stop the strike?
4. What causes an explosion at the Jean-Bart mine?
(a) dynamite lit by miners
(b) coal dust igniting
(c) a fired lamp
(d) timbers that catch on fire
5. What does Pluchart say are the union's goals?
(a) to help all people, rich and poor
(b) to make everyone rich
(c) to destroy the mines
(d) the emancipation of the workers
6. What do the miners demand of Mr. Hennebeau?
(a) to give them better health care
(b) to leave town
(c) to have a meeting
(d) to shut down the mine
7. What does Etienne see Jeanlin do?
(a) kill Chaval
(b) kill the young soldier
(c) steal food
(d) burn the store
8. Who intervenes at the Hennebearus' to save Cécile?
9. What does the owner of the Jean-Bart mine think will happen if the miners strike his mine?
(a) someone will be killed
(b) he will go bankrupt
(c) his wife will leave him
(d) they will destroy the mine
10. How do the miners leave if the cable is cut?
(a) walk the tunnel
(b) ropes thrown down
(c) safety ladders
(d) ride the mine carts
11. What do the miners do when the Grégoires pull up to the Hennebeaus' house?
(b) pull them out and kill them
(c) suround them and chant
(d) attack the carriage
12. By January, what problem do the striking miners face?
(a) cold and hunger
(b) owners destroying the mines
(c) lack of sunshine
(d) thugs beating them up
13. Of what does Lantier try to convince Deneulin?
(a) to keep Jean-Bart running
(b) that all mines must strike
(c) to fire Chaval
(d) to take on more miners
14. How does each supervisor or mine director get out of dealing with the miners?
(a) they ignore them
(b) they get police protection
(c) they claim to have no authority
(d) they leave town
15. Who has decided to cut the cable at the Jean-Bart mine?
(b) the miners from Montsou
(c) the Jean-Bart miners
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the mine owners announce Négrel is doing?
2. How much do the miners' actions at the Jean-Bart mine affect work there?
3. What happens to Alzire?
4. What do the miners do at the entrance to the mine?
5. How does Lantier try to help the negotiation process?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)