|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does each supervisor or mine director get out of dealing with the miners?
(a) they claim to have no authority
(b) they leave town
(c) they ignore them
(d) they get police protection
2. What major character is killed at the confrontation at the mine?
3. Why do the miners organize a meeting in the forest?
(a) to plan a bank robbery
(b) to discuss Jean-Bart
(c) to march to Paris
(d) to find deer for food
4. Why is the meeting of the miners and Lantier stopped early?
(a) the miners attack him
(b) the police come
(c) the owners agree to the demands
(d) the miners decide to end the strike
5. Where does Etienne see Jeanlin go one evening?
(a) to Denneulin
(b) through a hidden hole
(c) to Chaval
(d) to the Hennebeaus'
6. What is hiding like for Etienne?
(a) like a game
(b) it has no effect on him
7. What does the mine owners announce Négrel is doing?
(a) going to bring back foreign miners
(c) going to shut down the mine permanently
(d) going to revamp the mine
8. What is one of the mines left working after the strike has spread?
9. Who owns the Jean-Bart mine?
(a) Léon Grégoire
(c) Jacques Lefattle
10. How much do the miners' actions at the Jean-Bart mine affect work there?
(a) it is now impossible
(b) it means the work force has to double
(c) it slows work down
(d) it doesn't affect it
11. How do the soldiers respond to the miners?
(a) fire in the air
(b) push back
(c) shoot at them
(d) ignore them
12. Where does Lantier hide?
(a) in Jeanlin's burrow
(b) in Paris
(c) in the forest
(d) in the Advantage
13. What do the workers do at the Hennebeaus' house?
(a) attend a party
(b) burn it down
(c) throw rocks in the windows
(d) chant and demonstrate
14. Where do the miners go when they leave the Hennebeaus?
(a) to church
(b) to the grocery store
(c) to the tavern
15. How does Etienne help Jeanlin?
(a) giving him a place to live
(b) giving him food
(c) teaching him to read
(d) to cover up his actions
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maheu ask of Hennebeau?
2. What has come to Montsou because of the strike?
3. What happens to Alzire?
4. What does Etienne talk about with his new friend?
5. Whose life does Lantier save when the Montsou miners are angry at Jean-Bart?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)