|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the miners do to the soldiers?
(a) attack them
(b) throw them in the mine
(c) yell at them
(d) push them back
2. Why does Lantier decide to hide?
(a) his old supervisor is looking for him
(b) the miners are mad at him
(c) Chaval is going to kill him
(d) he steals some food
3. What happens to Alzire?
(a) he gets better
(b) he goes back to work
(c) he becomes disabled
(d) he dies
4. What happens to Maigrat when he runs from the miners?
(a) he gets beat up
(b) he is killed
(c) he gets away
(d) he sprains his ankle
5. What do the miners decide to do about Jean-Bart?
(a) kill the owner
(b) work there
(c) shut it down
(d) destroy it
6. Why does Lantier set up a meeting with the miners?
(a) to decide what to do
(b) to encourage them
(c) to end the strike
(d) to distribute food
7. Who does Lantier get to know after he left hiding?
(a) a young soldier
8. Why do the miners sign up with the union?
(a) they believe Pluchart's speech
(b) they have no where else to turn
(c) they think the union will bring down the rich
(d) they think the union will feed them
9. What does Hennebeau tell the miners?
(a) he'll lower the prices in the grocery store
(b) he'll talk to his superiors
(c) he'll raise their salary
(d) he'll suspend rent payments on the homes
10. Who comes to visit the Maheus when Alzire is sick?
(b) the Hennebeaus
(c) a priest
11. What are the miners requesting at Hennebeau's house?
(b) health care
(c) better wages
(d) a share in the mine
12. What does Etienne talk about with his new friend?
(a) the strike
(b) the war
(d) their families and homes
13. Who does the owner of the Jean-Bart mine convince to stop the strike?
14. Why does Hennebeau ignore the miners?
(a) he doesn't care
(b) he's worried about his marriage
(c) he hates poor people
(d) he doesn't understand their request
15. What does the mine owners announce Négrel is doing?
(a) going to bring back foreign miners
(b) going to shut down the mine permanently
(d) going to revamp the mine
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the miners demand of Mr. Hennebeau?
2. What promise to Etienne does Chaval break?
3. What are the Hennebeaus doing the day the miners go on strike?
4. What job does Négrel hold at the mine?
5. Whose life does Lantier save when the Montsou miners are angry at Jean-Bart?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)