|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the mines left working after the strike has spread?
2. Who does Lantier get to know after he left hiding?
(b) a young soldier
3. Who do the women go to for food?
(c) the church
4. What happens when the Borains arrive at the mine to work?
(b) Etienne talks them out of working
(c) the miners kill them
(d) the miners on strike gather there
5. Why do the miners organize a meeting in the forest?
(a) to discuss Jean-Bart
(b) to plan a bank robbery
(c) to march to Paris
(d) to find deer for food
6. How does Grégoire feel about what the miners want?
(a) he hates them
(b) he agrees with them
(c) they should be content with what they have
(d) he's indifferent to them
7. Who is knocked out in the Jean-Bart explosion?
8. What happens after Chaval makes his announcement at the Advantage?
(a) he leaves
(c) Lantier and he fight
(d) other miners congratulate him
9. How much do the miners' actions at the Jean-Bart mine affect work there?
(a) it slows work down
(b) it doesn't affect it
(c) it is now impossible
(d) it means the work force has to double
10. What does Etienne see Jeanlin do?
(a) kill Chaval
(b) kill the young soldier
(c) steal food
(d) burn the store
11. What job does Négrel hold at the mine?
(a) a hewer
(b) a supervisor
(c) a carter
(d) an engineer
12. Where does Etienne see Jeanlin go one evening?
(a) to Chaval
(b) to Denneulin
(c) through a hidden hole
(d) to the Hennebeaus'
13. Where do the miners go when they leave the Hennebeaus?
(a) to church
(b) to the grocery store
(c) to the tavern
14. What do the Montsou miners do when the Jean-Bart miners come to the surface?
(a) line up so they have to walk through them
(b) throw rocks at them
(c) beat them up
(d) yell at them
15. Why is the meeting of the miners and Lantier stopped early?
(a) the miners decide to end the strike
(b) the police come
(c) the miners attack him
(d) the owners agree to the demands
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Montsou miners do at the Mirou pit?
2. What do the miners decide to do about Jean-Bart?
3. Who intervenes at the Hennebearus' to save Cécile?
4. Where does Lantier hide?
5. Who has decided to cut the cable at the Jean-Bart mine?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)