|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Etienne come out from hiding?
(a) Chaval found out where he is
(b) he wants to see sunlight
(c) he thinks the police quit looking for him
(d) Catherine and he are to be married
2. What do the miners do to the soldiers?
(a) push them back
(b) throw them in the mine
(c) attack them
(d) yell at them
3. Who is knocked out in the Jean-Bart explosion?
4. Why is life at the Maheus so difficult?
(a) Catherine is dying
(b) LaMaheude is crippled
(c) no food or heat
(d) Bonnemorte has died
5. Who owns the Jean-Bart mine?
(a) Jacques Lefattle
(b) Léon Grégoire
6. What happens when the Borains arrive at the mine to work?
(b) Etienne talks them out of working
(c) the miners kill them
(d) the miners on strike gather there
7. What do the Montsou miners do to the Jean-Bart mine?
(a) they flood it
(c) they destroy it
(d) they burn it
8. Of what does Lantier try to convince Deneulin?
(a) to fire Chaval
(b) to keep Jean-Bart running
(c) to take on more miners
(d) that all mines must strike
9. What promise to Etienne does Chaval break?
(a) to help feed the Maheus
(b) to help Jeanlin
(c) to keep the Jean-Bart miners from working
(d) to let go of Catherine
10. Why is the meeting of the miners and Lantier stopped early?
(a) the miners attack him
(b) the owners agree to the demands
(c) the miners decide to end the strike
(d) the police come
11. What job does Négrel hold at the mine?
(a) a hewer
(b) a supervisor
(c) an engineer
(d) a carter
12. What does the mine owners announce Négrel is doing?
(b) going to bring back foreign miners
(c) going to shut down the mine permanently
(d) going to revamp the mine
13. Who do the women go to for food?
(d) the church
14. Why does Hennebeau ignore the miners?
(a) he hates poor people
(b) he doesn't care
(c) he's worried about his marriage
(d) he doesn't understand their request
15. Who has decided to cut the cable at the Jean-Bart mine?
(a) the miners from Montsou
(d) the Jean-Bart miners
Short Answer Questions
1. Who intervenes at the Hennebearus' to save Cécile?
2. What do the Montsou miners do when the Jean-Bart miners come to the surface?
3. What is hiding like for Etienne?
4. What do the miners do when the Grégoires pull up to the Hennebeaus' house?
5. How does each supervisor or mine director get out of dealing with the miners?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)