|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the union help the miners?
(a) it provides food
(b) it brings in people to help the miners win
(c) it doesn't
(d) it provides money
2. How does Etienne help Jeanlin?
(a) giving him a place to live
(b) to cover up his actions
(c) teaching him to read
(d) giving him food
3. Who does Lantier get to know after he left hiding?
(d) a young soldier
4. Why does Hennebeau ignore the miners?
(a) he doesn't understand their request
(b) he doesn't care
(c) he hates poor people
(d) he's worried about his marriage
5. What do the Montsu miners do after they are finished at the Jean-Bart mine?
(a) go home
(b) head to the Hennebeaus
(c) go to other mines
(d) tear down Deneulin's house
6. How much do the miners' actions at the Jean-Bart mine affect work there?
(a) it slows work down
(b) it doesn't affect it
(c) it means the work force has to double
(d) it is now impossible
7. Where does Lantier hide?
(a) in Jeanlin's burrow
(b) in Paris
(c) in the forest
(d) in the Advantage
8. What does Maheu ask of Hennebeau?
(a) justice and for bread every day
(b) to join the union
(c) to be made a supervisor in the mine
(d) for money to feed his family
9. Why does Etienne come out from hiding?
(a) he thinks the police quit looking for him
(b) Catherine and he are to be married
(c) Chaval found out where he is
(d) he wants to see sunlight
10. What do the workers do at the Hennebeaus' house?
(a) chant and demonstrate
(b) throw rocks in the windows
(c) burn it down
(d) attend a party
11. Who has decided to cut the cable at the Jean-Bart mine?
(a) the miners from Montsou
(b) the Jean-Bart miners
12. What does Etienne think about his position as leader in the strike?
(a) he doesn't think he can do it
(b) he doesn't want it
(c) it's a lot of responsibility
(d) he's depressed about it
13. Who is waiting for the Jean-Bart miners when they exit the mine?
(c) the Montsou miners
14. Why is the meeting of the miners and Lantier stopped early?
(a) the owners agree to the demands
(b) the police come
(c) the miners attack him
(d) the miners decide to end the strike
15. Why does Lantier set up a meeting with the miners?
(a) to distribute food
(b) to end the strike
(c) to decide what to do
(d) to encourage them
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the miners do at the entrance to the mine?
2. What does Chaval announce when he comes to the Advantage during the strike?
3. How do the miners feel about the Borains?
4. What happens when the Borains arrive at the mine to work?
5. Who does the owner of the Jean-Bart mine convince to stop the strike?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)