|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the last part of the strike what are many of the miners' children doing?
(a) vandalizing the managers' homes
(b) destroying the town
(c) looking for activities that will feed them
(d) attacking the rich children
2. What do the miners demand of Mr. Hennebeau?
(a) to shut down the mine
(b) to give them better health care
(c) to leave town
(d) to have a meeting
3. What are the Hennebeaus doing the day the miners go on strike?
(a) attending a funeral
(b) having a wedding
(c) hosting a social event for their friends
(d) visiting Paris
4. What does Rasseneur feel about the strike?
(a) it's useless and absurd
(b) it's working
(c) it should go on
(d) excited that it happened
5. Who comes to the Maheu house with food for the family?
6. What are the miners requesting at Hennebeau's house?
(a) better wages
(b) a share in the mine
(d) health care
7. What does Etienne think about his position as leader in the strike?
(a) it's a lot of responsibility
(b) he doesn't want it
(c) he doesn't think he can do it
(d) he's depressed about it
8. What happens to Maigrat when he runs from the miners?
(a) he gets beat up
(b) he sprains his ankle
(c) he is killed
(d) he gets away
9. Why is it difficult for the miners to get out of the Jean-Bart mine when the cables are cut?
(a) the safety ladders are destroyed
(b) the carts are destroyed
(c) the number of miners
(d) the tunnel is flooded
10. Why do the miners organize a meeting in the forest?
(a) to discuss Jean-Bart
(b) to plan a bank robbery
(c) to march to Paris
(d) to find deer for food
11. What does Etienne ask Catherine?
(a) that she start back to work
(b) for some money
(c) that she move in with him
(d) that she kill Chaval
12. Of what does Lantier try to convince Deneulin?
(a) to take on more miners
(b) that all mines must strike
(c) to fire Chaval
(d) to keep Jean-Bart running
13. What job does Négrel hold at the mine?
(a) a carter
(b) a supervisor
(c) an engineer
(d) a hewer
14. Who does Lantier get to know after he left hiding?
(b) a young soldier
15. Why does Etienne come out from hiding?
(a) he wants to see sunlight
(b) Catherine and he are to be married
(c) Chaval found out where he is
(d) he thinks the police quit looking for him
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maheu ask of Hennebeau?
2. Why do the miners sign up with the union?
3. Who do the women go to for food?
4. What has come to Montsou because of the strike?
5. By January, what problem do the striking miners face?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)