|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it difficult for the miners to get out of the Jean-Bart mine when the cables are cut?
(a) the carts are destroyed
(b) the number of miners
(c) the tunnel is flooded
(d) the safety ladders are destroyed
2. How does Grégoire feel about what the miners want?
(a) he's indifferent to them
(b) he agrees with them
(c) they should be content with what they have
(d) he hates them
3. Who do the women go to for food?
(b) the church
4. Why does Hennebeau ignore the miners?
(a) he's worried about his marriage
(b) he doesn't understand their request
(c) he doesn't care
(d) he hates poor people
5. Where does Lantier hide?
(a) in Paris
(b) in Jeanlin's burrow
(c) in the forest
(d) in the Advantage
6. How much do the miners' actions at the Jean-Bart mine affect work there?
(a) it means the work force has to double
(b) it slows work down
(c) it is now impossible
(d) it doesn't affect it
7. What happens when the Borains arrive at the mine to work?
(a) Etienne talks them out of working
(b) the miners on strike gather there
(d) the miners kill them
8. Why does Lantier decide to hide?
(a) Chaval is going to kill him
(b) the miners are mad at him
(c) he steals some food
(d) his old supervisor is looking for him
9. What do the Montsou miners do to the Jean-Bart mine?
(a) they flood it
(c) they burn it
(d) they destroy it
10. Why is life at the Maheus so difficult?
(a) LaMaheude is crippled
(b) no food or heat
(c) Catherine is dying
(d) Bonnemorte has died
11. What do the miners do when the Grégoires pull up to the Hennebeaus' house?
(a) attack the carriage
(b) suround them and chant
(c) pull them out and kill them
12. What do the workers do at the Hennebeaus' house?
(a) chant and demonstrate
(b) throw rocks in the windows
(c) attend a party
(d) burn it down
13. How does Etienne help Jeanlin?
(a) giving him food
(b) to cover up his actions
(c) giving him a place to live
(d) teaching him to read
14. How does each supervisor or mine director get out of dealing with the miners?
(a) they ignore them
(b) they claim to have no authority
(c) they get police protection
(d) they leave town
15. What do the miners demand of Mr. Hennebeau?
(a) to have a meeting
(b) to shut down the mine
(c) to leave town
(d) to give them better health care
Short Answer Questions
1. Who intervenes at the Hennebearus' to save Cécile?
2. What is hiding like for Etienne?
3. Why does Lantier set up a meeting with the miners?
4. What do the Montsou miners do at the Mirou pit?
5. What happens to Maigrat when he runs from the miners?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)