|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What promise to Etienne does Chaval break?
(a) to help feed the Maheus
(b) to let go of Catherine
(c) to help Jeanlin
(d) to keep the Jean-Bart miners from working
2. What do the miners do at the entrance to the mine?
(a) kill the soldiers
(b) yell curses and insults
(c) destroy the cable
(d) attack the Borains
3. Who comes to visit the Maheus when Alzire is sick?
(c) the Hennebeaus
(d) a priest
4. What do the miners demand of Mr. Hennebeau?
(a) to leave town
(b) to shut down the mine
(c) to give them better health care
(d) to have a meeting
5. What do the Montsou miners do to the Jean-Bart mine?
(a) they flood it
(c) they burn it
(d) they destroy it
6. What does Hennebeau tell the miners?
(a) he'll raise their salary
(b) he'll lower the prices in the grocery store
(c) he'll suspend rent payments on the homes
(d) he'll talk to his superiors
7. What does Rasseneur feel about the strike?
(a) it should go on
(b) excited that it happened
(c) it's useless and absurd
(d) it's working
8. Whose life does Lantier save when the Montsou miners are angry at Jean-Bart?
9. What does the owner of the Jean-Bart mine think will happen if the miners strike his mine?
(a) he will go bankrupt
(b) someone will be killed
(c) his wife will leave him
(d) they will destroy the mine
10. What happens when the Borains arrive at the mine to work?
(a) Etienne talks them out of working
(b) the miners on strike gather there
(c) the miners kill them
11. How does Deneulin respond to Etienne's request?
(a) he says yes
(b) he ignores it
(c) he says he'll decide tomorrow
(d) he refuses
12. How do the miners leave if the cable is cut?
(a) safety ladders
(b) walk the tunnel
(c) ropes thrown down
(d) ride the mine carts
13. Who do the women go to for food?
(b) the church
14. What is hiding like for Etienne?
(c) it has no effect on him
(d) like a game
15. What do the miners do to the soldiers?
(a) throw them in the mine
(b) attack them
(c) yell at them
(d) push them back
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Hennebeaus doing the day the miners go on strike?
2. Why do the miners follow Lantier as a leader?
3. Why does Etienne come out from hiding?
4. Where do the miners go when they leave the Hennebeaus?
5. What does Etienne see Jeanlin do?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)