|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the miners demand of Mr. Hennebeau?
(a) to leave town
(b) to shut down the mine
(c) to give them better health care
(d) to have a meeting
2. How does each supervisor or mine director get out of dealing with the miners?
(a) they leave town
(b) they claim to have no authority
(c) they get police protection
(d) they ignore them
3. What does Pluchart say are the union's goals?
(a) to destroy the mines
(b) to make everyone rich
(c) to help all people, rich and poor
(d) the emancipation of the workers
4. Where does Etienne see Jeanlin go one evening?
(a) to Denneulin
(b) to Chaval
(c) through a hidden hole
(d) to the Hennebeaus'
5. Why does Lantier set up a meeting with the miners?
(a) to distribute food
(b) to decide what to do
(c) to end the strike
(d) to encourage them
6. How do the miners feel about the Borains?
(b) angry and betrayed
(d) happy for help
7. How does the union help the miners?
(a) it provides food
(b) it brings in people to help the miners win
(c) it doesn't
(d) it provides money
8. By January, what problem do the striking miners face?
(a) lack of sunshine
(b) cold and hunger
(c) thugs beating them up
(d) owners destroying the mines
9. Why is life at the Maheus so difficult?
(a) LaMaheude is crippled
(b) Bonnemorte has died
(c) no food or heat
(d) Catherine is dying
10. What does Rasseneur feel about the strike?
(a) excited that it happened
(b) it's useless and absurd
(c) it should go on
(d) it's working
11. Who is waiting for the Jean-Bart miners when they exit the mine?
(d) the Montsou miners
12. What do the Montsou miners do to the Jean-Bart mine?
(a) they burn it
(b) they flood it
(d) they destroy it
13. What does Etienne talk about with his new friend?
(a) the strike
(b) their families and homes
(c) the war
14. What do the Montsu miners do after they are finished at the Jean-Bart mine?
(a) go to other mines
(b) head to the Hennebeaus
(c) tear down Deneulin's house
(d) go home
15. What promise to Etienne does Chaval break?
(a) to help feed the Maheus
(b) to keep the Jean-Bart miners from working
(c) to help Jeanlin
(d) to let go of Catherine
Short Answer Questions
1. How much do the miners' actions at the Jean-Bart mine affect work there?
2. What does the owner of the Jean-Bart mine think will happen if the miners strike his mine?
3. Where do the miners go when they leave the Hennebeaus?
4. What does Chaval announce when he comes to the Advantage during the strike?
5. What does the mine owners announce Négrel is doing?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)