|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it difficult for the miners to get out of the Jean-Bart mine when the cables are cut?
(a) the carts are destroyed
(b) the safety ladders are destroyed
(c) the number of miners
(d) the tunnel is flooded
2. Why does Lantier set up a meeting with the miners?
(a) to decide what to do
(b) to encourage them
(c) to distribute food
(d) to end the strike
3. Who is knocked out in the Jean-Bart explosion?
4. How does the union help the miners?
(a) it provides food
(b) it brings in people to help the miners win
(c) it provides money
(d) it doesn't
5. Who do the women go to for food?
(b) the church
6. How does Etienne help Jeanlin?
(a) giving him food
(b) giving him a place to live
(c) to cover up his actions
(d) teaching him to read
7. What major character is killed at the confrontation at the mine?
8. What do the miners do when the Grégoires pull up to the Hennebeaus' house?
(b) attack the carriage
(c) suround them and chant
(d) pull them out and kill them
9. What do the miners decide to do about Jean-Bart?
(a) work there
(b) destroy it
(c) shut it down
(d) kill the owner
10. During the last part of the strike what are many of the miners' children doing?
(a) destroying the town
(b) looking for activities that will feed them
(c) attacking the rich children
(d) vandalizing the managers' homes
11. What happens when the Borains arrive at the mine to work?
(a) Etienne talks them out of working
(b) the miners on strike gather there
(c) the miners kill them
12. What do the Montsu miners do after they are finished at the Jean-Bart mine?
(a) go home
(b) head to the Hennebeaus
(c) tear down Deneulin's house
(d) go to other mines
13. Who does Lantier get to know after he left hiding?
(d) a young soldier
14. Why does Lantier decide to hide?
(a) Chaval is going to kill him
(b) he steals some food
(c) his old supervisor is looking for him
(d) the miners are mad at him
15. How do the miners leave if the cable is cut?
(a) ride the mine carts
(b) safety ladders
(c) ropes thrown down
(d) walk the tunnel
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Etienne come out from hiding?
2. What do the Montsou miners do when the Jean-Bart miners come to the surface?
3. What happens to Alzire?
4. What does Rasseneur feel about the strike?
5. How do the miners feel about the Borains?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)