|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Maigrat when he runs from the miners?
(a) he is killed
(b) he gets beat up
(c) he gets away
(d) he sprains his ankle
2. What do the miners do at the entrance to the mine?
(a) destroy the cable
(b) yell curses and insults
(c) attack the Borains
(d) kill the soldiers
3. Where does Etienne see Jeanlin go one evening?
(a) through a hidden hole
(b) to Chaval
(c) to Denneulin
(d) to the Hennebeaus'
4. What do the miners do to the soldiers?
(a) push them back
(b) attack them
(c) yell at them
(d) throw them in the mine
5. Why do the miners follow Lantier as a leader?
(a) he makes great speeches
(b) he is a college graduate
(c) they agree with his ideas
(d) he is from a wealthy family
6. What are the Hennebeaus doing the day the miners go on strike?
(a) having a wedding
(b) visiting Paris
(c) hosting a social event for their friends
(d) attending a funeral
7. What do the workers do at the Hennebeaus' house?
(a) throw rocks in the windows
(b) chant and demonstrate
(c) burn it down
(d) attend a party
8. What do the miners demand of Mr. Hennebeau?
(a) to leave town
(b) to give them better health care
(c) to have a meeting
(d) to shut down the mine
9. What do the miners do when the Grégoires pull up to the Hennebeaus' house?
(a) attack the carriage
(c) pull them out and kill them
(d) suround them and chant
10. How does Etienne help Jeanlin?
(a) to cover up his actions
(b) giving him a place to live
(c) teaching him to read
(d) giving him food
11. Who owns the Jean-Bart mine?
(c) Léon Grégoire
(d) Jacques Lefattle
12. What is one of the mines left working after the strike has spread?
13. Why does Lantier decide to hide?
(a) the miners are mad at him
(b) Chaval is going to kill him
(c) his old supervisor is looking for him
(d) he steals some food
14. What do the Montsou miners do at the Mirou pit?
(a) destroy it
(b) try to force the workers to stop
(c) burn it
15. Who do the women go to for food?
(d) the church
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Montsu miners do after they are finished at the Jean-Bart mine?
2. How do the miners feel about the Borains?
3. What do the Montsou miners do when the Jean-Bart miners come to the surface?
4. Why does Etienne come out from hiding?
5. What does Maheu ask of Hennebeau?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)