|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the workers do at the Hennebeaus' house?
(a) throw rocks in the windows
(b) attend a party
(c) burn it down
(d) chant and demonstrate
2. What do the Montsou miners do when the Jean-Bart miners come to the surface?
(a) throw rocks at them
(b) yell at them
(c) beat them up
(d) line up so they have to walk through them
3. What does the owner of the Jean-Bart mine think will happen if the miners strike his mine?
(a) he will go bankrupt
(b) someone will be killed
(c) his wife will leave him
(d) they will destroy the mine
4. What do the Montsou miners do to the Jean-Bart mine?
(b) they flood it
(c) they burn it
(d) they destroy it
5. Who do the women go to for food?
(d) the church
6. What does Pluchart say are the union's goals?
(a) to make everyone rich
(b) the emancipation of the workers
(c) to destroy the mines
(d) to help all people, rich and poor
7. Who owns the Jean-Bart mine?
(c) Jacques Lefattle
(d) Léon Grégoire
8. What happens after Chaval makes his announcement at the Advantage?
(b) other miners congratulate him
(c) he leaves
(d) Lantier and he fight
9. What are the Hennebeaus doing the day the miners go on strike?
(a) attending a funeral
(b) having a wedding
(c) hosting a social event for their friends
(d) visiting Paris
10. Who comes to visit the Maheus when Alzire is sick?
(b) a priest
(d) the Hennebeaus
11. What promise to Etienne does Chaval break?
(a) to help feed the Maheus
(b) to let go of Catherine
(c) to keep the Jean-Bart miners from working
(d) to help Jeanlin
12. Who does Lantier get to know after he left hiding?
(b) a young soldier
13. When is the provident fund started by Etienne empty?
(a) by March
(b) by December
(c) by November
(d) in January
14. Why do the miners follow Lantier as a leader?
(a) he makes great speeches
(b) he is a college graduate
(c) they agree with his ideas
(d) he is from a wealthy family
15. What major character is killed at the confrontation at the mine?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Etienne think about his position as leader in the strike?
2. Who has decided to cut the cable at the Jean-Bart mine?
3. What do the miners do to the soldiers?
4. Why does Hennebeau ignore the miners?
5. Of what does Lantier try to convince Deneulin?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)