|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the union help the miners?
(a) it doesn't
(b) it provides money
(c) it brings in people to help the miners win
(d) it provides food
2. By January, what problem do the striking miners face?
(a) cold and hunger
(b) owners destroying the mines
(c) lack of sunshine
(d) thugs beating them up
3. Who is waiting for the Jean-Bart miners when they exit the mine?
(c) the Montsou miners
4. When is the provident fund started by Etienne empty?
(a) by December
(b) in January
(c) by November
(d) by March
5. What happens to Alzire?
(a) he gets better
(b) he becomes disabled
(c) he dies
(d) he goes back to work
6. How do the miners leave if the cable is cut?
(a) safety ladders
(b) ride the mine carts
(c) ropes thrown down
(d) walk the tunnel
7. What do the Montsou miners do to the Jean-Bart mine?
(a) they destroy it
(b) they flood it
(c) they burn it
8. What do the miners demand of Mr. Hennebeau?
(a) to shut down the mine
(b) to have a meeting
(c) to give them better health care
(d) to leave town
9. What does Chaval announce when he comes to the Advantage during the strike?
(a) he's going to Paris
(b) he is going to marry Catherine
(c) he's now a supervisor
(d) he will return to work
10. Why is the meeting of the miners and Lantier stopped early?
(a) the police come
(b) the owners agree to the demands
(c) the miners attack him
(d) the miners decide to end the strike
11. How much do the miners' actions at the Jean-Bart mine affect work there?
(a) it doesn't affect it
(b) it means the work force has to double
(c) it is now impossible
(d) it slows work down
12. What do the Montsu miners do after they are finished at the Jean-Bart mine?
(a) head to the Hennebeaus
(b) go home
(c) tear down Deneulin's house
(d) go to other mines
13. Why does Lantier set up a meeting with the miners?
(a) to end the strike
(b) to encourage them
(c) to decide what to do
(d) to distribute food
14. Why does Etienne come out from hiding?
(a) Chaval found out where he is
(b) he thinks the police quit looking for him
(c) he wants to see sunlight
(d) Catherine and he are to be married
15. Who owns the Jean-Bart mine?
(a) Jacques Lefattle
(d) Léon Grégoire
Short Answer Questions
1. What major character is killed at the confrontation at the mine?
2. Whose life does Lantier save when the Montsou miners are angry at Jean-Bart?
3. What does the owner of the Jean-Bart mine think will happen if the miners strike his mine?
4. How does Etienne help Jeanlin?
5. What does Rasseneur feel about the strike?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)