|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is waiting for the Jean-Bart miners when they exit the mine?
(b) the Montsou miners
2. Who has decided to cut the cable at the Jean-Bart mine?
(c) the miners from Montsou
(d) the Jean-Bart miners
3. How does Deneulin respond to Etienne's request?
(a) he refuses
(b) he ignores it
(c) he says he'll decide tomorrow
(d) he says yes
4. What do the miners decide to do about Jean-Bart?
(a) shut it down
(b) work there
(c) destroy it
(d) kill the owner
5. What major character is killed at the confrontation at the mine?
6. Why do the miners sign up with the union?
(a) they think the union will bring down the rich
(b) they believe Pluchart's speech
(c) they have no where else to turn
(d) they think the union will feed them
7. Why does Lantier set up a meeting with the miners?
(a) to decide what to do
(b) to end the strike
(c) to encourage them
(d) to distribute food
8. What does Etienne talk about with his new friend?
(a) the war
(b) their families and homes
(c) the strike
9. Why is life at the Maheus so difficult?
(a) Bonnemorte has died
(b) Catherine is dying
(c) no food or heat
(d) LaMaheude is crippled
10. Who comes to visit the Maheus when Alzire is sick?
(b) a priest
(c) the Hennebeaus
11. Whose life does Lantier save when the Montsou miners are angry at Jean-Bart?
12. Why is it difficult for the miners to get out of the Jean-Bart mine when the cables are cut?
(a) the safety ladders are destroyed
(b) the tunnel is flooded
(c) the number of miners
(d) the carts are destroyed
13. What do the miners do to the soldiers?
(a) attack them
(b) push them back
(c) throw them in the mine
(d) yell at them
14. What does the owner of the Jean-Bart mine think will happen if the miners strike his mine?
(a) his wife will leave him
(b) someone will be killed
(c) he will go bankrupt
(d) they will destroy the mine
15. Where does Lantier hide?
(a) in the forest
(b) in the Advantage
(c) in Paris
(d) in Jeanlin's burrow
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the mine owners announce Négrel is doing?
2. What does Rasseneur feel about the strike?
3. How does Lantier try to help the negotiation process?
4. What is one of the mines left working after the strike has spread?
5. What does Etienne think about his position as leader in the strike?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)