|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the miners sign up with the union?
(a) they think the union will feed them
(b) they believe Pluchart's speech
(c) they think the union will bring down the rich
(d) they have no where else to turn
2. Where do the miners go when they leave the Hennebeaus?
(b) to church
(c) to the tavern
(d) to the grocery store
3. Why do the miners follow Lantier as a leader?
(a) he is from a wealthy family
(b) they agree with his ideas
(c) he is a college graduate
(d) he makes great speeches
4. Why does Lantier set up a meeting with the miners?
(a) to distribute food
(b) to encourage them
(c) to decide what to do
(d) to end the strike
5. What does the owner of the Jean-Bart mine think will happen if the miners strike his mine?
(a) his wife will leave him
(b) they will destroy the mine
(c) he will go bankrupt
(d) someone will be killed
6. What do the miners do to the soldiers?
(a) attack them
(b) throw them in the mine
(c) push them back
(d) yell at them
7. Who comes to visit the Maheus when Alzire is sick?
(b) the Hennebeaus
(d) a priest
8. What do the miners decide to do about Jean-Bart?
(a) kill the owner
(b) work there
(c) shut it down
(d) destroy it
9. What does Etienne talk about with his new friend?
(a) the war
(b) their families and homes
(c) the strike
10. When is the provident fund started by Etienne empty?
(a) by March
(b) in January
(c) by November
(d) by December
11. What major character is killed at the confrontation at the mine?
12. What does Rasseneur feel about the strike?
(a) it's useless and absurd
(b) it should go on
(c) it's working
(d) excited that it happened
13. What do the Montsou miners do at the Mirou pit?
(a) burn it
(c) destroy it
(d) try to force the workers to stop
14. What happens after Chaval makes his announcement at the Advantage?
(a) other miners congratulate him
(b) he leaves
(d) Lantier and he fight
15. What happens to Maigrat when he runs from the miners?
(a) he gets away
(b) he gets beat up
(c) he sprains his ankle
(d) he is killed
Short Answer Questions
1. By January, what problem do the striking miners face?
2. Who intervenes at the Hennebearus' to save Cécile?
3. During the last part of the strike what are many of the miners' children doing?
4. What has come to Montsou because of the strike?
5. What does Hennebeau tell the miners?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)