|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Etienne help Jeanlin?
(a) giving him food
(b) to cover up his actions
(c) giving him a place to live
(d) teaching him to read
2. What happens to Maigrat when he runs from the miners?
(a) he gets beat up
(b) he is killed
(c) he gets away
(d) he sprains his ankle
3. When is the provident fund started by Etienne empty?
(a) by March
(b) by November
(c) in January
(d) by December
4. What do the miners do to the soldiers?
(a) throw them in the mine
(b) push them back
(c) yell at them
(d) attack them
5. What does Chaval announce when he comes to the Advantage during the strike?
(a) he will return to work
(b) he's now a supervisor
(c) he's going to Paris
(d) he is going to marry Catherine
6. What is hiding like for Etienne?
(b) like a game
(d) it has no effect on him
7. What does Etienne think about his position as leader in the strike?
(a) he doesn't think he can do it
(b) it's a lot of responsibility
(c) he doesn't want it
(d) he's depressed about it
8. What do the miners decide to do about Jean-Bart?
(a) kill the owner
(b) destroy it
(c) shut it down
(d) work there
9. What major character is killed at the confrontation at the mine?
10. What has come to Montsou because of the strike?
(a) the mine owners
(b) the governor
(c) the army
(d) private detectives
11. Why is the meeting of the miners and Lantier stopped early?
(a) the police come
(b) the owners agree to the demands
(c) the miners decide to end the strike
(d) the miners attack him
12. What do the workers do at the Hennebeaus' house?
(a) chant and demonstrate
(b) throw rocks in the windows
(c) attend a party
(d) burn it down
13. What does Rasseneur feel about the strike?
(a) it should go on
(b) excited that it happened
(c) it's working
(d) it's useless and absurd
14. How does Deneulin respond to Etienne's request?
(a) he ignores it
(b) he says yes
(c) he says he'll decide tomorrow
(d) he refuses
15. Where do the miners go when they leave the Hennebeaus?
(b) to the grocery store
(c) to the tavern
(d) to church
Short Answer Questions
1. How does each supervisor or mine director get out of dealing with the miners?
2. What does the owner of the Jean-Bart mine think will happen if the miners strike his mine?
3. What do the Montsou miners do when the Jean-Bart miners come to the surface?
4. What are the miners requesting at Hennebeau's house?
5. What do the miners do when the Grégoires pull up to the Hennebeaus' house?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)