|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By January, what problem do the striking miners face?
(a) cold and hunger
(b) owners destroying the mines
(c) thugs beating them up
(d) lack of sunshine
2. Why does Lantier set up a meeting with the miners?
(a) to end the strike
(b) to decide what to do
(c) to encourage them
(d) to distribute food
3. What does Etienne talk about with his new friend?
(a) the strike
(c) their families and homes
(d) the war
4. What does Maheu ask of Hennebeau?
(a) to be made a supervisor in the mine
(b) to join the union
(c) justice and for bread every day
(d) for money to feed his family
5. What do the Montsou miners do when the Jean-Bart miners come to the surface?
(a) line up so they have to walk through them
(b) yell at them
(c) beat them up
(d) throw rocks at them
6. Who does Lantier get to know after he left hiding?
(c) a young soldier
7. What does Chaval announce when he comes to the Advantage during the strike?
(a) he's now a supervisor
(b) he is going to marry Catherine
(c) he's going to Paris
(d) he will return to work
8. Who do the women go to for food?
(d) the church
9. What happens to Maigrat when he runs from the miners?
(a) he gets beat up
(b) he gets away
(c) he is killed
(d) he sprains his ankle
10. What do the miners do at the entrance to the mine?
(a) yell curses and insults
(b) destroy the cable
(c) kill the soldiers
(d) attack the Borains
11. What happens to Alzire?
(a) he goes back to work
(b) he becomes disabled
(c) he dies
(d) he gets better
12. What do the miners demand of Mr. Hennebeau?
(a) to give them better health care
(b) to leave town
(c) to shut down the mine
(d) to have a meeting
13. How much do the miners' actions at the Jean-Bart mine affect work there?
(a) it doesn't affect it
(b) it is now impossible
(c) it means the work force has to double
(d) it slows work down
14. Where does Etienne see Jeanlin go one evening?
(a) to the Hennebeaus'
(b) to Chaval
(c) through a hidden hole
(d) to Denneulin
15. What happens when the Borains arrive at the mine to work?
(a) Etienne talks them out of working
(b) the miners kill them
(d) the miners on strike gather there
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise to Etienne does Chaval break?
2. What does Etienne see Jeanlin do?
3. Who comes to the Maheu house with food for the family?
4. What has come to Montsou because of the strike?
5. What do the miners do to the soldiers?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)