|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the mine owners announce Négrel is doing?
(b) going to bring back foreign miners
(c) going to revamp the mine
(d) going to shut down the mine permanently
2. What does Etienne see Jeanlin do?
(a) burn the store
(b) kill the young soldier
(c) kill Chaval
(d) steal food
3. What do the Montsou miners do at the Mirou pit?
(b) destroy it
(c) burn it
(d) try to force the workers to stop
4. By January, what problem do the striking miners face?
(a) cold and hunger
(b) lack of sunshine
(c) thugs beating them up
(d) owners destroying the mines
5. Who does Lantier get to know after he left hiding?
(b) a young soldier
6. Why does Etienne come out from hiding?
(a) Catherine and he are to be married
(b) he thinks the police quit looking for him
(c) Chaval found out where he is
(d) he wants to see sunlight
7. When is the provident fund started by Etienne empty?
(a) by March
(b) by November
(c) by December
(d) in January
8. How does Grégoire feel about what the miners want?
(a) they should be content with what they have
(b) he's indifferent to them
(c) he hates them
(d) he agrees with them
9. What does Maheu ask of Hennebeau?
(a) justice and for bread every day
(b) for money to feed his family
(c) to be made a supervisor in the mine
(d) to join the union
10. What does the owner of the Jean-Bart mine think will happen if the miners strike his mine?
(a) his wife will leave him
(b) they will destroy the mine
(c) he will go bankrupt
(d) someone will be killed
11. How does Lantier try to help the negotiation process?
(a) meeting with Hennebeau
(b) destroying a mine shaft
(c) killing a mine owner
(d) keeping food from the wealthy
12. Who comes to the Maheu house with food for the family?
13. Who owns the Jean-Bart mine?
(a) Léon Grégoire
(d) Jacques Lefattle
14. What causes an explosion at the Jean-Bart mine?
(a) coal dust igniting
(b) dynamite lit by miners
(c) timbers that catch on fire
(d) a fired lamp
15. What do the miners decide to do about Jean-Bart?
(a) destroy it
(b) work there
(c) kill the owner
(d) shut it down
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has decided to cut the cable at the Jean-Bart mine?
2. What does Hennebeau tell the miners?
3. Who is waiting for the Jean-Bart miners when they exit the mine?
4. How does each supervisor or mine director get out of dealing with the miners?
5. How does Etienne help Jeanlin?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)