|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Maigrat when he runs from the miners?
(a) he is killed
(b) he gets beat up
(c) he gets away
(d) he sprains his ankle
2. What has come to Montsou because of the strike?
(a) the army
(b) the mine owners
(c) private detectives
(d) the governor
3. What do the Montsou miners do at the Mirou pit?
(a) try to force the workers to stop
(c) destroy it
(d) burn it
4. What does Etienne see Jeanlin do?
(a) steal food
(b) burn the store
(c) kill the young soldier
(d) kill Chaval
5. Why does Hennebeau ignore the miners?
(a) he doesn't understand their request
(b) he's worried about his marriage
(c) he doesn't care
(d) he hates poor people
6. What do the miners decide to do about Jean-Bart?
(a) destroy it
(b) shut it down
(c) kill the owner
(d) work there
7. Who is waiting for the Jean-Bart miners when they exit the mine?
(a) the Montsou miners
8. What happens to Alzire?
(a) he goes back to work
(b) he gets better
(c) he becomes disabled
(d) he dies
9. Where does Etienne see Jeanlin go one evening?
(a) to the Hennebeaus'
(b) through a hidden hole
(c) to Denneulin
(d) to Chaval
10. Whose life does Lantier save when the Montsou miners are angry at Jean-Bart?
11. What happens when the Borains arrive at the mine to work?
(a) the miners kill them
(c) Etienne talks them out of working
(d) the miners on strike gather there
12. Why do the miners sign up with the union?
(a) they think the union will bring down the rich
(b) they believe Pluchart's speech
(c) they have no where else to turn
(d) they think the union will feed them
13. Who owns the Jean-Bart mine?
(a) Jacques Lefattle
(c) Léon Grégoire
14. How do the miners leave if the cable is cut?
(a) ride the mine carts
(b) safety ladders
(c) walk the tunnel
(d) ropes thrown down
15. Why does Etienne come out from hiding?
(a) he wants to see sunlight
(b) Chaval found out where he is
(c) Catherine and he are to be married
(d) he thinks the police quit looking for him
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Hennebeaus doing the day the miners go on strike?
2. What does the mine owners announce Négrel is doing?
3. Who has decided to cut the cable at the Jean-Bart mine?
4. What do the miners demand of Mr. Hennebeau?
5. Who does the owner of the Jean-Bart mine convince to stop the strike?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)