|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the soldiers respond to the miners?
(a) shoot at them
(b) ignore them
(c) fire in the air
(d) push back
2. What does Etienne talk about with his new friend?
(b) their families and homes
(c) the war
(d) the strike
3. How does Lantier try to help the negotiation process?
(a) killing a mine owner
(b) keeping food from the wealthy
(c) meeting with Hennebeau
(d) destroying a mine shaft
4. Who does the owner of the Jean-Bart mine convince to stop the strike?
5. What do the miners decide to do about Jean-Bart?
(a) work there
(b) shut it down
(c) destroy it
(d) kill the owner
6. Why is it difficult for the miners to get out of the Jean-Bart mine when the cables are cut?
(a) the tunnel is flooded
(b) the carts are destroyed
(c) the safety ladders are destroyed
(d) the number of miners
7. What happens to Maigrat when he runs from the miners?
(a) he gets away
(b) he is killed
(c) he sprains his ankle
(d) he gets beat up
8. What causes an explosion at the Jean-Bart mine?
(a) a fired lamp
(b) timbers that catch on fire
(c) coal dust igniting
(d) dynamite lit by miners
9. What does the mine owners announce Négrel is doing?
(b) going to bring back foreign miners
(c) going to shut down the mine permanently
(d) going to revamp the mine
10. Who is knocked out in the Jean-Bart explosion?
11. Who has decided to cut the cable at the Jean-Bart mine?
(b) the Jean-Bart miners
(d) the miners from Montsou
12. What happens when the Borains arrive at the mine to work?
(a) Etienne talks them out of working
(c) the miners on strike gather there
(d) the miners kill them
13. What do the miners do at the entrance to the mine?
(a) kill the soldiers
(b) attack the Borains
(c) yell curses and insults
(d) destroy the cable
14. What do the workers do at the Hennebeaus' house?
(a) attend a party
(b) chant and demonstrate
(c) burn it down
(d) throw rocks in the windows
15. Who do the women go to for food?
(d) the church
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Etienne think about his position as leader in the strike?
2. What do the Montsu miners do after they are finished at the Jean-Bart mine?
3. What does Rasseneur feel about the strike?
4. How does Etienne help Jeanlin?
5. What does Maheu ask of Hennebeau?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)