|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose life does Lantier save when the Montsou miners are angry at Jean-Bart?
2. Why is life at the Maheus so difficult?
(a) Catherine is dying
(b) Bonnemorte has died
(c) LaMaheude is crippled
(d) no food or heat
3. What do the workers do at the Hennebeaus' house?
(a) chant and demonstrate
(b) throw rocks in the windows
(c) attend a party
(d) burn it down
4. Who does Lantier get to know after he left hiding?
(b) a young soldier
5. Why do the miners organize a meeting in the forest?
(a) to plan a bank robbery
(b) to find deer for food
(c) to march to Paris
(d) to discuss Jean-Bart
6. What causes an explosion at the Jean-Bart mine?
(a) dynamite lit by miners
(b) coal dust igniting
(c) timbers that catch on fire
(d) a fired lamp
7. What is one of the mines left working after the strike has spread?
8. What does Maheu ask of Hennebeau?
(a) for money to feed his family
(b) to join the union
(c) to be made a supervisor in the mine
(d) justice and for bread every day
9. What do the miners do at the entrance to the mine?
(a) kill the soldiers
(b) yell curses and insults
(c) destroy the cable
(d) attack the Borains
10. Why is it difficult for the miners to get out of the Jean-Bart mine when the cables are cut?
(a) the safety ladders are destroyed
(b) the carts are destroyed
(c) the tunnel is flooded
(d) the number of miners
11. How do the miners feel about the Borains?
(b) angry and betrayed
(d) happy for help
12. Why is the meeting of the miners and Lantier stopped early?
(a) the miners attack him
(b) the miners decide to end the strike
(c) the police come
(d) the owners agree to the demands
13. What do the miners do to the soldiers?
(a) yell at them
(b) attack them
(c) push them back
(d) throw them in the mine
14. What do the Montsu miners do after they are finished at the Jean-Bart mine?
(a) tear down Deneulin's house
(b) head to the Hennebeaus
(c) go to other mines
(d) go home
15. Why do the miners follow Lantier as a leader?
(a) they agree with his ideas
(b) he makes great speeches
(c) he is from a wealthy family
(d) he is a college graduate
Short Answer Questions
1. Who intervenes at the Hennebearus' to save Cécile?
2. What are the miners requesting at Hennebeau's house?
3. How do the miners leave if the cable is cut?
4. What job does Négrel hold at the mine?
5. What has come to Montsou because of the strike?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)