|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Deneulin respond to Etienne's request?
(a) he says yes
(b) he refuses
(c) he says he'll decide tomorrow
(d) he ignores it
2. What happens to Alzire?
(a) he dies
(b) he goes back to work
(c) he gets better
(d) he becomes disabled
3. How does Lantier try to help the negotiation process?
(a) killing a mine owner
(b) destroying a mine shaft
(c) meeting with Hennebeau
(d) keeping food from the wealthy
4. Who owns the Jean-Bart mine?
(a) Jacques Lefattle
(b) Léon Grégoire
5. By January, what problem do the striking miners face?
(a) lack of sunshine
(b) owners destroying the mines
(c) cold and hunger
(d) thugs beating them up
6. Who do the women go to for food?
(a) the church
7. What does Rasseneur feel about the strike?
(a) it's useless and absurd
(b) it should go on
(c) excited that it happened
(d) it's working
8. What does Etienne ask Catherine?
(a) that she move in with him
(b) for some money
(c) that she start back to work
(d) that she kill Chaval
9. Why do the miners sign up with the union?
(a) they believe Pluchart's speech
(b) they think the union will bring down the rich
(c) they think the union will feed them
(d) they have no where else to turn
10. How does Etienne help Jeanlin?
(a) to cover up his actions
(b) teaching him to read
(c) giving him food
(d) giving him a place to live
11. Who has decided to cut the cable at the Jean-Bart mine?
(a) the miners from Montsou
(b) the Jean-Bart miners
12. What causes an explosion at the Jean-Bart mine?
(a) dynamite lit by miners
(b) coal dust igniting
(c) a fired lamp
(d) timbers that catch on fire
13. What are the miners requesting at Hennebeau's house?
(a) a share in the mine
(c) health care
(d) better wages
14. Who does the owner of the Jean-Bart mine convince to stop the strike?
15. What is hiding like for Etienne?
(a) like a game
(c) it has no effect on him
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chaval announce when he comes to the Advantage during the strike?
2. Why does Hennebeau ignore the miners?
3. What do the miners do when the Grégoires pull up to the Hennebeaus' house?
4. What happens to Maigrat when he runs from the miners?
5. What do the Montsou miners do to the Jean-Bart mine?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)