|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the mine owners announce Négrel is doing?
(a) going to bring back foreign miners
(c) going to revamp the mine
(d) going to shut down the mine permanently
2. How does each supervisor or mine director get out of dealing with the miners?
(a) they claim to have no authority
(b) they leave town
(c) they get police protection
(d) they ignore them
3. Why do the miners follow Lantier as a leader?
(a) he is from a wealthy family
(b) he makes great speeches
(c) they agree with his ideas
(d) he is a college graduate
4. Why is the meeting of the miners and Lantier stopped early?
(a) the owners agree to the demands
(b) the police come
(c) the miners attack him
(d) the miners decide to end the strike
5. What do the miners do at the entrance to the mine?
(a) attack the Borains
(b) kill the soldiers
(c) destroy the cable
(d) yell curses and insults
6. What does the owner of the Jean-Bart mine think will happen if the miners strike his mine?
(a) they will destroy the mine
(b) someone will be killed
(c) he will go bankrupt
(d) his wife will leave him
7. What do the workers do at the Hennebeaus' house?
(a) attend a party
(b) chant and demonstrate
(c) burn it down
(d) throw rocks in the windows
8. By January, what problem do the striking miners face?
(a) thugs beating them up
(b) owners destroying the mines
(c) cold and hunger
(d) lack of sunshine
9. Where does Lantier hide?
(a) in Jeanlin's burrow
(b) in Paris
(c) in the forest
(d) in the Advantage
10. What do the Montsou miners do to the Jean-Bart mine?
(b) they flood it
(c) they burn it
(d) they destroy it
11. Why does Lantier decide to hide?
(a) he steals some food
(b) his old supervisor is looking for him
(c) the miners are mad at him
(d) Chaval is going to kill him
12. Who intervenes at the Hennebearus' to save Cécile?
13. Why does Hennebeau ignore the miners?
(a) he doesn't understand their request
(b) he's worried about his marriage
(c) he hates poor people
(d) he doesn't care
14. Of what does Lantier try to convince Deneulin?
(a) to keep Jean-Bart running
(b) to fire Chaval
(c) that all mines must strike
(d) to take on more miners
15. What do the Montsou miners do when the Jean-Bart miners come to the surface?
(a) yell at them
(b) line up so they have to walk through them
(c) beat them up
(d) throw rocks at them
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the miners feel about the Borains?
2. What does Pluchart say are the union's goals?
3. Who is waiting for the Jean-Bart miners when they exit the mine?
4. Why do the miners organize a meeting in the forest?
5. Who comes to the Maheu house with food for the family?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)