|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Bonnemort begin working in the mine?
(a) at 8 years old
(b) at 5 years old
(c) at 16 years old
(d) at 12 years old
2. Why do the miners hate the supervisors?
(a) they don't work much
(b) they're mean and fine them too much
(c) they hit the miners with whips
(d) they have more money than the miners
3. Why do the Maheus invite Etienne to live with them?
(a) they need more money
(b) the oldest child left home
(c) they need help with the house
(d) Catherine wants to marry him
4. What does Etienne suggest the workers create?
(a) a health plan
(b) a provident fund
(c) a way to rotate workers
(d) a different shift system
5. What does the grocer want in order to help La Maheude?
(a) La Maheude to sleep with him
(b) one of La Maheude's family heirlooms
(c) Catherine to come to the store
(d) La Maheude to work for him
6. Why is the innkeeper friendly with Etienne?
(a) he knows Pluchart
(b) Etienne buys everyone drinks
(c) he has money
(d) he likes new people
7. Why is Deneulin failing in his business?
(a) he is stupid
(b) he lacks management skills
(c) his accountant steals from him
(d) he has lazy workers
8. What do the miners decide to do when the company lowers their pay?
(a) go on strike
(b) kill the owner
(c) rob the mine's payroll
(d) destroy the mine
9. Why can't Bonnemort work inside the Voreux anymore?
(a) he is too old
(b) he is not able to think due to a brain injury
(c) his leg is broken
(d) he is sick and disabled
10. What is the name of Bonnemort's family?
(a) the Marsades family
(b) the Maheu family
(c) the Dauques family
(d) the Forty family
11. Where does Etienne Lantier arrive the night at the beginning of the novel?
(d) the Voreux mining pit
12. Why does Chaval believe he owns Catherine?
(a) because they are engaged
(b) because he took her virginity
(c) because he gives her money
(d) because he is older than she
13. Where does Etienne go to rent a room?
(b) the Advantage
(c) the Jolly Fellow
(d) Le Voreux
14. What are the type of people who tend to go to the Advantage?
(a) older men
(b) mine management
(c) young people
(d) dissatified workers
15. From what hereditary disease does Etienne suffer?
(b) weak bones
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the Grégoires refuse to help the miners?
2. What does Bonnemort mean?
3. What is the house number where Bonnemort lives?
4. Who does Etienne meet on the first day of the job that he likes?
5. How many grandchildren does Bonnemort have?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)