|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the grocer want in order to help La Maheude?
(a) La Maheude to sleep with him
(b) Catherine to come to the store
(c) La Maheude to work for him
(d) one of La Maheude's family heirlooms
2. What is the name of Bonnemort's family?
(a) the Forty family
(b) the Maheu family
(c) the Marsades family
(d) the Dauques family
3. Who is Léon Grégoire?
(a) Chaval's father
(b) an important investor in the mine
(c) the Maheus' cousin
(d) the night watchman
4. Why do the miners hate the supervisors?
(a) they don't work much
(b) they hit the miners with whips
(c) they're mean and fine them too much
(d) they have more money than the miners
5. Why do the Maheus invite Etienne to live with them?
(a) Catherine wants to marry him
(b) they need help with the house
(c) the oldest child left home
(d) they need more money
6. What does Lantier think he must do to save Catherine?
(a) ask her to marry him
(b) tell her parents about Chaval
(c) run away with her
(d) get rid of Chaval
7. Who does Etienne meet on the first day of the job that he likes?
(b) La Shale
8. What do the miners decide to do when the company lowers their pay?
(a) kill the owner
(b) rob the mine's payroll
(c) destroy the mine
(d) go on strike
9. From what hereditary disease does Etienne suffer?
(d) weak bones
10. Why does Bonnemort go outside to cough when the visitors are there?
(a) so he won't scare them
(b) so he won't get anything on them
(c) so they don't know he's sick
(d) so he won't be embarrassed
11. What is La Maheude given instead of food?
(b) clothes for the children
(c) a job
12. Where does Etienne Lantier arrive the night at the beginning of the novel?
(d) the Voreux mining pit
13. How do the other miners see Etienne at work?
(a) as an educated person
(b) as stupid
(c) as lazy
(d) as too hard working
14. What does Etienne tell the miners he wants to fight?
(b) the mines closing
(c) pay raises
(d) poor conditions
15. How old is Etienne Lantier?
(a) about 18
(b) about 21
(c) about 30
(d) about 40
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does La Maheude go to ask for help?
2. What is the old aristocratic tradition as far as handling money?
3. What does Etienne suggest the workers create?
4. How do the visitors treat the people in the village?
5. When did Bonnemort begin working in the mine?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)