|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what is Etienne hired?
(a) as a carpenter
(b) as a loader
(c) as a horse tender
(d) as a hewer
2. What does Etienne do about what he sees on his walk?
(b) he watches the miners
(c) he kills the criminal
(d) he reports the problem
3. Who is Zacharie?
(a) Chaval's brother
(b) the oldest Maheu child
(c) Etienne's cousin
(d) a young street vendor
4. How many grandchildren does Bonnemort have?
5. Where did Léon Grégoire get his money?
(b) from his wife
(c) good investments
6. Why is Deneulin failing in his business?
(a) he lacks management skills
(b) he is stupid
(c) his accountant steals from him
(d) he has lazy workers
7. What is La Maheude given instead of food?
(a) clothes for the children
(c) a job
8. What is the new capitalistic trend concerning money?
(a) give money to poor people
(b) put the capital to work and maximize profit
(c) put the money in a bank
(d) invest in speculation
9. Who is Rasseneur?
(a) the manager of Jean-Bart
(b) the owner of the Jolly Roger
(c) the owner of the Advantage
(d) the owner of Jean-Bart
10. Where does La Maheude go to ask for help?
(a) the bank
(b) the charity center
(c) the priest
(d) the Grégoires
11. Why did the Grégoires refuse to help the miners?
(a) they believe the miners spend their money unwisely
(b) they believe God doesn't want them to
(c) they hate poor people
(d) they are almost broke themselves
12. How many members of the Maheu family work in the mines?
13. How do the visitors feel about the Maheu children?
(a) they are funny
(b) they are stupid
(c) they are delightful
(d) they are frightful
14. Who does Etienne hear talking as he walks?
(a) Jeanlin and Coltier
(b) Chaval and Catherine
(c) La Maheude and Bonnemort
(d) Jacques and Catherine
15. Why can't Bonnemort work inside the Voreux anymore?
(a) he is too old
(b) he is not able to think due to a brain injury
(c) his leg is broken
(d) he is sick and disabled
Short Answer Questions
1. From what hereditary disease does Etienne suffer?
2. What happens with the provident fund?
3. Why would visitors come to the mining village?
4. Why do the activist miners say they have decided to leave the Advantage?
5. What does Deneulin ask of Gregoire?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)