|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does La Maheude go to ask for help?
(a) the bank
(b) the priest
(c) the Grégoires
(d) the charity center
2. What does Chaval do as Etienne is getting ready to kiss Catherine?
(a) hits Etienne
(b) slips between them
(c) dumps water on Etienne
(d) pulls Catherine away
3. Why does Chaval almost instantly dislike Etienne?
(a) he feels superior to him
(b) he feels like Etienne is too smart
(c) he's jealous of him
(d) he reminds him of his father
4. Why is the innkeeper friendly with Etienne?
(a) Etienne buys everyone drinks
(b) he has money
(c) he knows Pluchart
(d) he likes new people
5. What does Deneulin ask of Gregoire?
(a) to marry his daughter
(b) to invest in Gregoire's mine
(c) to borrow money
(d) to pay for Deneulin's schooling
6. What does Bonnemort mean?
(a) bad future
(b) good luck
(c) good death
(d) sturdy man
7. What is the new capitalistic trend concerning money?
(a) put the money in a bank
(b) give money to poor people
(c) invest in speculation
(d) put the capital to work and maximize profit
8. How many grandchildren does Bonnemort have?
9. What happens in the Maheu family as the strike is called?
(a) they are fighting among themselves
(b) it is getting smaller
(c) they steal more food
(d) it is getting poorer
10. What do the miners decide to do when the company lowers their pay?
(a) kill the owner
(b) destroy the mine
(c) go on strike
(d) rob the mine's payroll
11. What is one of the reasons Etienne thinks he might be working in the mine?
(a) he likes to mine coal
(b) he enjoys being underground
(c) he's drawn to Catherine
(d) he wants to own a coal mine
12. Why is Deneulin failing in his business?
(a) he is stupid
(b) he has lazy workers
(c) he lacks management skills
(d) his accountant steals from him
13. What happens to Jeanlin in the accident in November in the mine?
(a) he is killed
(b) he is injured
(d) he is crippled
14. What is a ducasse?
(a) a local fair
(b) a board game
(c) a card game
(d) a type of duel
15. Who is Rasseneur?
(a) the manager of Jean-Bart
(b) the owner of Jean-Bart
(c) the owner of the Jolly Roger
(d) the owner of the Advantage
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes with Chaval when he leaves the Voreux?
2. How is Chaval feeling about the relationship between Catherine and Etienne?
3. What does Souvarine think is the solution to the miners' problems?
4. What does Etienne suggest the workers create?
5. What does Etienne do about what he sees on his walk?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)