|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the old aristocratic tradition as far as handling money?
(a) use capital wisely and moderately
(b) don't worry about money
(c) spend a lot of money for status
(d) let someone else handle your money
2. Why is the innkeeper friendly with Etienne?
(a) he likes new people
(b) Etienne buys everyone drinks
(c) he has money
(d) he knows Pluchart
3. Why is Bonnemort delaying his retirement?
(a) to earn more money for retirement
(b) he wants to keep his grandchildren safe
(c) he has too many children to feed
(d) he likes working
4. What is La Maheude given instead of food?
(b) a job
(d) clothes for the children
5. Where does Etienne go to rent a room?
(a) the Advantage
(c) Le Voreux
(d) the Jolly Fellow
6. Why would visitors come to the mining village?
(a) they're related to some mine investors
(b) they aren't wealthy enough for Paris
(c) they are related to Mrs. Hennebeau
(d) they want to see how poor people live
7. What does Etienne see during his walk?
(a) the rape of Catherine
(b) the rape of La Maheude
(c) the mine being worked
(d) stealing from the grocery store
8. What are the type of people who tend to go to the Advantage?
(a) young people
(b) older men
(c) mine management
(d) dissatified workers
9. Why do the Maheus see Catherine moving out as a traitor act to the family?
(a) her wages will be lost
(b) she's living unmarried with a man
(c) she can't babysit the younger children
(d) she is giving her money to Chaval
10. What happens in the Maheu family as the strike is called?
(a) it is getting poorer
(b) it is getting smaller
(c) they are fighting among themselves
(d) they steal more food
11. What is Leon Grégoire's biggest concern in life?
(a) his son marrying well
(b) maintaining his lifestyle
(c) keeping his wife happy
(d) staying healthy
12. What happens to Etienne's relationship with Catherine when he moves into her home?
(a) it gets stronger
(b) it becomes physical
(d) it falls apart
13. What does Souvarine think is the solution to the miners' problems?
(a) total destruction of everything
(c) working harder
(d) banding together
14. What happens to Jeanlin in the accident in November in the mine?
(a) he is killed
(b) he is crippled
(d) he is injured
15. How does Etienne become a good hewer?
(a) Chaval teaches him
(b) he studies a book
(c) Bonnemort takes him under his wing
(d) advice and help from Catherine
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the miners decide to do when the company lowers their pay?
2. Who is Léon Grégoire?
3. Why do the Maheus invite Etienne to live with them?
4. What does Etienne suggest the workers create?
5. Why does Chaval believe he owns Catherine?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)