|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens in the Maheu family as the strike is called?
(a) it is getting poorer
(b) they are fighting among themselves
(c) it is getting smaller
(d) they steal more food
2. What does Etienne see during his walk?
(a) the rape of La Maheude
(b) the mine being worked
(c) stealing from the grocery store
(d) the rape of Catherine
3. What does Etienne tell the miners he wants to fight?
(a) the mines closing
(c) pay raises
(d) poor conditions
4. Why does Chaval believe he owns Catherine?
(a) because he gives her money
(b) because they are engaged
(c) because he took her virginity
(d) because he is older than she
5. Why does Etienne Lantier go for a walk?
(a) he is restless
(b) he has a headache
(c) he is meeting friends
(d) he needs the exercise
6. Why is Deneulin failing in his business?
(a) he lacks management skills
(b) he is stupid
(c) his accountant steals from him
(d) he has lazy workers
7. When did Bonnemort begin working in the mine?
(a) at 8 years old
(b) at 12 years old
(c) at 5 years old
(d) at 16 years old
8. What is the name of Bonnemort's family?
(a) the Forty family
(b) the Dauques family
(c) the Marsades family
(d) the Maheu family
9. With whom does Bonnemort live?
(a) his daughter
(b) his wife
(c) his son
(d) no one
10. Who is Rasseneur?
(a) the manager of Jean-Bart
(b) the owner of the Advantage
(c) the owner of Jean-Bart
(d) the owner of the Jolly Roger
11. What type of work does Bonnemort do for the mine?
(c) runs the cable
(d) tends the horses
12. Where does Etienne Lantier arrive the night at the beginning of the novel?
(c) the Voreux mining pit
13. What is one of the reasons Etienne thinks he might be working in the mine?
(a) he enjoys being underground
(b) he wants to own a coal mine
(c) he's drawn to Catherine
(d) he likes to mine coal
14. What type of job did Etienne have previously?
(a) a mechanic
(b) an engineer
(c) a manager
(d) an artist
15. How do the other miners see Etienne at work?
(a) as lazy
(b) as stupid
(c) as too hard working
(d) as an educated person
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does La Maheude go to ask for help?
2. How does Léon Grégoire make his money?
3. How does Etienne become a good hewer?
4. Why is Bonnemort delaying his retirement?
5. From what hereditary disease does Etienne suffer?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)