|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Bonnemort delaying his retirement?
(a) he wants to keep his grandchildren safe
(b) he has too many children to feed
(c) to earn more money for retirement
(d) he likes working
2. When did Bonnemort begin working in the mine?
(a) at 16 years old
(b) at 8 years old
(c) at 5 years old
(d) at 12 years old
3. What type of job did Etienne have previously?
(a) a mechanic
(b) an engineer
(c) a manager
(d) an artist
4. What is a ducasse?
(a) a local fair
(b) a card game
(c) a type of duel
(d) a board game
5. What does Etienne create with advice from his friend Pluchart?
(a) a workers' union
(b) a new pay system
(c) a new way to hew
(d) a new system of managment
6. For what is Etienne hired?
(a) as a carpenter
(b) as a horse tender
(c) as a hewer
(d) as a loader
7. What is La Maheude given instead of food?
(a) a job
(c) clothes for the children
8. How is Chaval feeling about the relationship between Catherine and Etienne?
(d) extremely jealous
9. What does Etienne tell the miners he wants to fight?
(a) poor conditions
(b) the mines closing
(c) pay raises
10. Why does Chaval believe he owns Catherine?
(a) because he gives her money
(b) because he is older than she
(c) because he took her virginity
(d) because they are engaged
11. Why do the supervisors fine the Maheu team?
(a) for not meeting the daily quota
(b) for stopping work before lunch
(c) for faulty timbering
(d) for talking too much
12. Where does Chaval go when the miners strike?
(a) to the Jean-Bart pit
(b) to LaSalle
(c) to Paris
(d) to England
13. About what do Etienne and Souvarine talk?
(a) escaping the mines and going to Paris
(b) how to make money
(c) the future of the workers
(d) how to be a good hewer
14. What is the name of Bonnemort's family?
(a) the Maheu family
(b) the Dauques family
(c) the Marsades family
(d) the Forty family
15. Who is the overman who hires Étienne Lantier?
(d) Dom Gernera
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Rasseneur?
2. For what does Maheu get scolded by his boss?
3. How does Etienne become a good hewer?
4. Who goes with Chaval when he leaves the Voreux?
5. Who is Souvarine?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)