|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does Maheu get scolded by his boss?
(a) dropping a cart
(b) being late to work
(c) having Etienne live with them
(d) leaving a rotten timber in place
2. Why does Etienne Lantier go for a walk?
(a) he is restless
(b) he has a headache
(c) he is meeting friends
(d) he needs the exercise
3. What is the name of Bonnemort's family?
(a) the Dauques family
(b) the Forty family
(c) the Maheu family
(d) the Marsades family
4. How do the visitors treat the people in the village?
(a) with surface politeness
(b) with kindness
(c) with aloofness
(d) with irritation
5. What do the miners decide to do when the company lowers their pay?
(a) kill the owner
(b) rob the mine's payroll
(c) destroy the mine
(d) go on strike
6. What does Etienne suggest the workers create?
(a) a provident fund
(b) a health plan
(c) a different shift system
(d) a way to rotate workers
7. How is Chaval feeling about the relationship between Catherine and Etienne?
(d) extremely jealous
8. Why can't Bonnemort work inside the Voreux anymore?
(a) he is sick and disabled
(b) he is too old
(c) he is not able to think due to a brain injury
(d) his leg is broken
9. For what is Etienne hired?
(a) as a hewer
(b) as a horse tender
(c) as a carpenter
(d) as a loader
10. Why do the Maheus invite Etienne to live with them?
(a) the oldest child left home
(b) they need help with the house
(c) Catherine wants to marry him
(d) they need more money
11. Why do the miners hate the supervisors?
(a) they have more money than the miners
(b) they don't work much
(c) they hit the miners with whips
(d) they're mean and fine them too much
12. How do the visitors feel about the Maheu children?
(a) they are delightful
(b) they are funny
(c) they are frightful
(d) they are stupid
13. With whom does Bonnemort live?
(a) no one
(b) his son
(c) his daughter
(d) his wife
14. Why do the Maheus see Catherine moving out as a traitor act to the family?
(a) she can't babysit the younger children
(b) her wages will be lost
(c) she's living unmarried with a man
(d) she is giving her money to Chaval
15. What does Deneulin ask of Gregoire?
(a) to borrow money
(b) to invest in Gregoire's mine
(c) to marry his daughter
(d) to pay for Deneulin's schooling
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bonnemort mean?
2. How does Etienne become a good hewer?
3. Why does Chaval almost instantly dislike Etienne?
4. How does Chaval feel about Catherine?
5. Why was Etienne fired from his previous job?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)