|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the innkeeper friendly with Etienne?
(a) he has money
(b) he knows Pluchart
(c) he likes new people
(d) Etienne buys everyone drinks
2. What does the grocer want in order to help La Maheude?
(a) La Maheude to work for him
(b) Catherine to come to the store
(c) one of La Maheude's family heirlooms
(d) La Maheude to sleep with him
3. What does Etienne do about what he sees on his walk?
(a) he watches the miners
(b) he reports the problem
(c) he kills the criminal
4. Why do the Maheus see Catherine moving out as a traitor act to the family?
(a) she is giving her money to Chaval
(b) she's living unmarried with a man
(c) her wages will be lost
(d) she can't babysit the younger children
5. What does Etienne create with advice from his friend Pluchart?
(a) a workers' union
(b) a new way to hew
(c) a new system of managment
(d) a new pay system
6. What is the old aristocratic tradition as far as handling money?
(a) use capital wisely and moderately
(b) spend a lot of money for status
(c) don't worry about money
(d) let someone else handle your money
7. Who is Léon Grégoire?
(a) the Maheus' cousin
(b) the night watchman
(c) an important investor in the mine
(d) Chaval's father
8. Who is Deneulin?
(a) Grégoire's cousin
(b) the manager of the mine
(c) a miner in Voreux
(d) Catherine's boyfriend
9. For what does Maheu get scolded by his boss?
(a) having Etienne live with them
(b) being late to work
(c) leaving a rotten timber in place
(d) dropping a cart
10. Where did Léon Grégoire get his money?
(c) from his wife
(d) good investments
11. What type of job did Etienne have previously?
(a) an engineer
(b) a mechanic
(c) an artist
(d) a manager
12. How do the visitors feel about the Maheu children?
(a) they are stupid
(b) they are funny
(c) they are delightful
(d) they are frightful
13. Where does Etienne Lantier arrive the night at the beginning of the novel?
(c) the Voreux mining pit
14. Where does La Maheude go to ask for help?
(a) the bank
(b) the priest
(c) the Grégoires
(d) the charity center
15. Who does Etienne meet on the first day of the job that he likes?
(b) La Shale
Short Answer Questions
1. What is La Maheude given instead of food?
2. How many grandchildren does Bonnemort have?
3. How does Chaval feel about Catherine?
4. Why does Bonnemort go outside to cough when the visitors are there?
5. Why do the supervisors fine the Maheu team?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)