|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is La Maheude upset about her family?
(a) they won't listen to her
(b) they are leaving home
(c) they all work in the mine
(d) she doesn't have the money to feed them
2. What type of work does Bonnemort do for the mine?
(c) runs the cable
(d) tends the horses
3. Where does Chaval go when the miners strike?
(a) to Paris
(b) to the Jean-Bart pit
(c) to LaSalle
(d) to England
4. Why do the Maheus see Catherine moving out as a traitor act to the family?
(a) she is giving her money to Chaval
(b) she can't babysit the younger children
(c) her wages will be lost
(d) she's living unmarried with a man
5. How does Chaval feel about Catherine?
(a) he loves her
(b) he respects her
(c) he likes her
(d) he feels nothing
6. Who is Zacharie?
(a) a young street vendor
(b) Etienne's cousin
(c) Chaval's brother
(d) the oldest Maheu child
7. What does Etienne see during his walk?
(a) the mine being worked
(b) the rape of Catherine
(c) the rape of La Maheude
(d) stealing from the grocery store
8. Why does Chaval almost instantly dislike Etienne?
(a) he feels superior to him
(b) he's jealous of him
(c) he reminds him of his father
(d) he feels like Etienne is too smart
9. From what hereditary disease does Etienne suffer?
(a) weak bones
10. For what does Maheu get scolded by his boss?
(a) having Etienne live with them
(b) dropping a cart
(c) leaving a rotten timber in place
(d) being late to work
11. Why do the miners hate the supervisors?
(a) they have more money than the miners
(b) they hit the miners with whips
(c) they're mean and fine them too much
(d) they don't work much
12. What happens to Etienne's relationship with Catherine when he moves into her home?
(a) it gets stronger
(b) it falls apart
(c) it becomes physical
13. What does Etienne suggest the workers create?
(a) a different shift system
(b) a way to rotate workers
(c) a health plan
(d) a provident fund
14. How are the miners presented to the visitors?
(a) as naughty children
(b) as hard working poor people
(c) like animals in a zoo
(d) as stupid beasts of burden
15. Why is Deneulin failing in his business?
(a) he has lazy workers
(b) his accountant steals from him
(c) he lacks management skills
(d) he is stupid
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Jeanlin in the accident in November in the mine?
2. What is the atmosphere like in the Maheu household?
3. Why do the supervisors fine the Maheu team?
4. What does Chaval do as Etienne is getting ready to kiss Catherine?
5. What does Etienne tell the miners he wants to fight?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)