|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Etienne feel about the miners with whom he is working?
2. How many members of the Maheu family work in the mines?
3. What does the grocer want in order to help La Maheude?
(a) Catherine to come to the store
(b) one of La Maheude's family heirlooms
(c) La Maheude to work for him
(d) La Maheude to sleep with him
4. Who is Deneulin?
(a) the manager of the mine
(b) a miner in Voreux
(c) Grégoire's cousin
(d) Catherine's boyfriend
5. What happens in the Maheu family as the strike is called?
(a) they are fighting among themselves
(b) it is getting poorer
(c) they steal more food
(d) it is getting smaller
6. Why would visitors come to the mining village?
(a) they aren't wealthy enough for Paris
(b) they are related to Mrs. Hennebeau
(c) they're related to some mine investors
(d) they want to see how poor people live
7. How does Etienne become a good hewer?
(a) Chaval teaches him
(b) Bonnemort takes him under his wing
(c) advice and help from Catherine
(d) he studies a book
8. What is the mining settlement called where the novel takes place?
(a) Two Hundred and Forty
(b) Verus De
(c) Two Hundred
(d) Village de Mine
9. What does Chaval do as Etienne is getting ready to kiss Catherine?
(a) dumps water on Etienne
(b) slips between them
(c) pulls Catherine away
(d) hits Etienne
10. Why do the activist miners say they have decided to leave the Advantage?
(a) too many management types
(b) because of warm beer and bad soup
(c) it's too small
(d) the police hang out there
11. Why does Bonnemort go outside to cough when the visitors are there?
(a) so he won't scare them
(b) so he won't be embarrassed
(c) so he won't get anything on them
(d) so they don't know he's sick
12. Why do the supervisors fine the Maheu team?
(a) for faulty timbering
(b) for talking too much
(c) for stopping work before lunch
(d) for not meeting the daily quota
13. Why can't Bonnemort work inside the Voreux anymore?
(a) he is not able to think due to a brain injury
(b) he is too old
(c) he is sick and disabled
(d) his leg is broken
14. What does Bonnemort tell Etienne about a job at the mine?
(a) there's no opening for a mechanic
(b) he could be a supervisor
(c) there's lots of work
(d) that they need a mechanic
15. What is the name of Bonnemort's family?
(a) the Maheu family
(b) the Forty family
(c) the Marsades family
(d) the Dauques family
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Chaval feel about Catherine?
2. What is La Maheude given instead of food?
3. With whom does Bonnemort live?
4. Where did Léon Grégoire get his money?
5. Why do the Maheus see Catherine moving out as a traitor act to the family?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)