|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the Voreux's manager?
(a) Mr. LaFatette
(c) Mr. Hennebeau
2. Why does Chaval believe he owns Catherine?
(a) because he is older than she
(b) because they are engaged
(c) because he gives her money
(d) because he took her virginity
3. What does Lantier think he must do to save Catherine?
(a) run away with her
(b) tell her parents about Chaval
(c) get rid of Chaval
(d) ask her to marry him
4. Where does Etienne Lantier arrive the night at the beginning of the novel?
(a) the Voreux mining pit
5. What is the old aristocratic tradition as far as handling money?
(a) spend a lot of money for status
(b) don't worry about money
(c) let someone else handle your money
(d) use capital wisely and moderately
6. What does Deneulin ask of Gregoire?
(a) to marry his daughter
(b) to pay for Deneulin's schooling
(c) to borrow money
(d) to invest in Gregoire's mine
7. How do the visitors treat the people in the village?
(a) with aloofness
(b) with kindness
(c) with irritation
(d) with surface politeness
8. What is one of the reasons Etienne thinks he might be working in the mine?
(a) he wants to own a coal mine
(b) he likes to mine coal
(c) he's drawn to Catherine
(d) he enjoys being underground
9. How do the mine owners lower the workers' pay in October?
(a) makes the carts larger
(b) adds new taxes
(c) adds new fines
(d) disguises it as a new mode of payment due
10. What is the new capitalistic trend concerning money?
(a) invest in speculation
(b) put the capital to work and maximize profit
(c) give money to poor people
(d) put the money in a bank
11. How old is Etienne Lantier?
(a) about 18
(b) about 21
(c) about 30
(d) about 40
12. Why is La Maheude upset about her family?
(a) they are leaving home
(b) they all work in the mine
(c) they won't listen to her
(d) she doesn't have the money to feed them
13. What is the name of Bonnemort's family?
(a) the Marsades family
(b) the Forty family
(c) the Maheu family
(d) the Dauques family
14. Why is Deneulin failing in his business?
(a) his accountant steals from him
(b) he lacks management skills
(c) he has lazy workers
(d) he is stupid
15. Who is Souvarine?
(a) Chaval's brother
(b) Catherine's boyfriend
(c) a Russian anarchist
(d) Etienne's team leader
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Léon Grégoire make his money?
2. How do the other miners see Etienne at work?
3. What are the type of people who tend to go to the Advantage?
4. Where do the Grégoires live?
5. How do the visitors feel about the Maheu children?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)