|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the other miners see Etienne at work?
(a) as an educated person
(b) as stupid
(c) as too hard working
(d) as lazy
2. Where did Léon Grégoire get his money?
(a) good investments
(d) from his wife
3. Why do the activist miners say they have decided to leave the Advantage?
(a) because of warm beer and bad soup
(b) the police hang out there
(c) it's too small
(d) too many management types
4. Why do the supervisors fine the Maheu team?
(a) for faulty timbering
(b) for talking too much
(c) for not meeting the daily quota
(d) for stopping work before lunch
5. What is the old aristocratic tradition as far as handling money?
(a) use capital wisely and moderately
(b) spend a lot of money for status
(c) let someone else handle your money
(d) don't worry about money
6. Who is Léon Grégoire?
(a) Chaval's father
(b) the Maheus' cousin
(c) an important investor in the mine
(d) the night watchman
7. When did Bonnemort begin working in the mine?
(a) at 5 years old
(b) at 8 years old
(c) at 16 years old
(d) at 12 years old
8. How does Etienne feel about the miners with whom he is working?
9. Who is Deneulin?
(a) Grégoire's cousin
(b) the manager of the mine
(c) a miner in Voreux
(d) Catherine's boyfriend
10. How does Léon Grégoire make his money?
(a) from the mine profits
(b) he's a trader
(c) from the grocery store
(d) he's a banker
11. What happens with the provident fund?
(a) it grows quickly
(b) it never gets off the ground
(c) it grows slowly
(d) Etienne steals from it
12. What happens to Etienne's relationship with Catherine when he moves into her home?
(a) it falls apart
(c) it gets stronger
(d) it becomes physical
13. Why does Chaval almost instantly dislike Etienne?
(a) he's jealous of him
(b) he feels like Etienne is too smart
(c) he feels superior to him
(d) he reminds him of his father
14. What type of work does Bonnemort do for the mine?
(a) tends the horses
(d) runs the cable
15. What does Etienne do about what he sees on his walk?
(a) he watches the miners
(b) he reports the problem
(d) he kills the criminal
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Chaval feel about Catherine?
2. What does Lantier think he must do to save Catherine?
3. Where does Etienne go to rent a room?
4. What does the grocer want in order to help La Maheude?
5. What does Etienne see during his walk?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)