|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the Grégoires refuse to help the miners?
(a) they believe God doesn't want them to
(b) they are almost broke themselves
(c) they hate poor people
(d) they believe the miners spend their money unwisely
2. Where does Chaval go when the miners strike?
(a) to LaSalle
(b) to Paris
(c) to the Jean-Bart pit
(d) to England
3. Why is Deneulin failing in his business?
(a) he has lazy workers
(b) he is stupid
(c) his accountant steals from him
(d) he lacks management skills
4. From what hereditary disease does Etienne suffer?
(d) weak bones
5. When did Bonnemort begin working in the mine?
(a) at 5 years old
(b) at 12 years old
(c) at 8 years old
(d) at 16 years old
6. How does Etienne feel about the miners with whom he is working?
7. What is the house number where Bonnemort lives?
(a) number 24
(b) number 16
(c) number 33
(d) number 18
8. How does Léon Grégoire make his money?
(a) from the mine profits
(b) he's a banker
(c) from the grocery store
(d) he's a trader
9. Who brings in friends from Paris to see the mining town?
(b) the Grégoires
(d) Mrs. Hennebeau
10. Why does Bonnemort go outside to cough when the visitors are there?
(a) so he won't be embarrassed
(b) so he won't scare them
(c) so they don't know he's sick
(d) so he won't get anything on them
11. Why do the miners hate the supervisors?
(a) they're mean and fine them too much
(b) they have more money than the miners
(c) they hit the miners with whips
(d) they don't work much
12. Why do the Maheus see Catherine moving out as a traitor act to the family?
(a) her wages will be lost
(b) she's living unmarried with a man
(c) she can't babysit the younger children
(d) she is giving her money to Chaval
13. Why does Chaval almost instantly dislike Etienne?
(a) he's jealous of him
(b) he reminds him of his father
(c) he feels like Etienne is too smart
(d) he feels superior to him
14. Where does Etienne go to rent a room?
(a) Le Voreux
(b) the Advantage
(d) the Jolly Fellow
15. Why was Etienne fired from his previous job?
(a) political activity
(b) drinking on the job
(c) hitting a supervisor
(d) being too friendly with the owner's daughter
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the mine owners lower the workers' pay in October?
2. Where does La Maheude go to ask for help?
3. How is Chaval feeling about the relationship between Catherine and Etienne?
4. How do the other miners see Etienne at work?
5. What does Bonnemort mean?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)