|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Bonnemort live?
(a) his son
(b) his daughter
(c) no one
(d) his wife
2. What is the atmosphere like in the Maheu household?
(a) sad and tired
3. Why can't Bonnemort work inside the Voreux anymore?
(a) his leg is broken
(b) he is not able to think due to a brain injury
(c) he is too old
(d) he is sick and disabled
4. What do the miners decide to do when the company lowers their pay?
(a) go on strike
(b) destroy the mine
(c) kill the owner
(d) rob the mine's payroll
5. What does Souvarine think is the solution to the miners' problems?
(a) total destruction of everything
(c) banding together
(d) working harder
6. Why do the Maheus invite Etienne to live with them?
(a) Catherine wants to marry him
(b) the oldest child left home
(c) they need more money
(d) they need help with the house
7. Why is Bonnemort delaying his retirement?
(a) he has too many children to feed
(b) to earn more money for retirement
(c) he wants to keep his grandchildren safe
(d) he likes working
8. Where do the Grégoires live?
(a) at the village
(b) near Montsou
9. What does Etienne do about what he sees on his walk?
(a) he watches the miners
(b) he kills the criminal
(d) he reports the problem
10. What type of work does Bonnemort do for the mine?
(c) runs the cable
(d) tends the horses
11. When did Bonnemort begin working in the mine?
(a) at 8 years old
(b) at 5 years old
(c) at 12 years old
(d) at 16 years old
12. What is the mining settlement called where the novel takes place?
(a) Village de Mine
(b) Verus De
(c) Two Hundred and Forty
(d) Two Hundred
13. What is the new capitalistic trend concerning money?
(a) put the capital to work and maximize profit
(b) give money to poor people
(c) put the money in a bank
(d) invest in speculation
14. What does Etienne suggest the workers create?
(a) a health plan
(b) a different shift system
(c) a provident fund
(d) a way to rotate workers
15. Who brings in friends from Paris to see the mining town?
(b) Mrs. Hennebeau
(c) the Grégoires
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the activist miners say they have decided to leave the Advantage?
2. What does Bonnemort mean?
3. How do the mine owners lower the workers' pay in October?
4. Why does Bonnemort go outside to cough when the visitors are there?
5. By what name does Bonnemort's daughter-in-law go?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)