|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does Maheu get scolded by his boss?
(a) having Etienne live with them
(b) leaving a rotten timber in place
(c) being late to work
(d) dropping a cart
2. Why is the innkeeper friendly with Etienne?
(a) he likes new people
(b) he knows Pluchart
(c) he has money
(d) Etienne buys everyone drinks
3. How do the other miners see Etienne at work?
(a) as an educated person
(b) as too hard working
(c) as stupid
(d) as lazy
4. What happens to Etienne's relationship with Catherine when he moves into her home?
(a) it becomes physical
(c) it gets stronger
(d) it falls apart
5. Who brings in friends from Paris to see the mining town?
(c) the Grégoires
(d) Mrs. Hennebeau
6. What type of job did Etienne have previously?
(a) an artist
(b) an engineer
(c) a manager
(d) a mechanic
7. What is one of the reasons Etienne thinks he might be working in the mine?
(a) he likes to mine coal
(b) he enjoys being underground
(c) he wants to own a coal mine
(d) he's drawn to Catherine
8. How does Etienne become a good hewer?
(a) Bonnemort takes him under his wing
(b) advice and help from Catherine
(c) Chaval teaches him
(d) he studies a book
9. What does Bonnemort tell Etienne about a job at the mine?
(a) there's no opening for a mechanic
(b) he could be a supervisor
(c) there's lots of work
(d) that they need a mechanic
10. Where did Léon Grégoire get his money?
(a) from his wife
(c) good investments
11. What happens to Jeanlin in the accident in November in the mine?
(a) he is crippled
(c) he is injured
(d) he is killed
12. How does Chaval feel about Catherine?
(a) he feels nothing
(b) he loves her
(c) he respects her
(d) he likes her
13. What is the mining settlement called where the novel takes place?
(a) Village de Mine
(b) Two Hundred and Forty
(c) Two Hundred
(d) Verus De
14. With whom does Bonnemort live?
(a) no one
(b) his daughter
(c) his son
(d) his wife
15. What does Etienne suggest the workers create?
(a) a provident fund
(b) a way to rotate workers
(c) a health plan
(d) a different shift system
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Etienne create with advice from his friend Pluchart?
2. Why would visitors come to the mining village?
3. How do the visitors feel about the Maheu children?
4. What does Souvarine think is the solution to the miners' problems?
5. What happens in the Maheu family as the strike is called?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)