Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By what name does Bonnemort's daughter-in-law go?
(b) La Maheude
2. What happens to Etienne's relationship with Catherine when he moves into her home?
(a) it falls apart
(b) it gets stronger
(c) it becomes physical
3. How do the visitors treat the people in the village?
(a) with irritation
(b) with kindness
(c) with aloofness
(d) with surface politeness
4. What does Etienne create with advice from his friend Pluchart?
(a) a new way to hew
(b) a new pay system
(c) a new system of managment
(d) a workers' union
5. Why was Etienne fired from his previous job?
(a) being too friendly with the owner's daughter
(b) hitting a supervisor
(c) political activity
(d) drinking on the job
6. Why did the Grégoires refuse to help the miners?
(a) they believe God doesn't want them to
(b) they hate poor people
(c) they believe the miners spend their money unwisely
(d) they are almost broke themselves
7. Where does Chaval go when the miners strike?
(a) to England
(b) to LaSalle
(c) to Paris
(d) to the Jean-Bart pit
8. Who does Etienne hear talking as he walks?
(a) Jacques and Catherine
(b) Chaval and Catherine
(c) La Maheude and Bonnemort
(d) Jeanlin and Coltier
9. How does Etienne feel about the miners with whom he is working?
10. What is a ducasse?
(a) a type of duel
(b) a board game
(c) a card game
(d) a local fair
11. Why is La Maheude upset about her family?
(a) they all work in the mine
(b) she doesn't have the money to feed them
(c) they won't listen to her
(d) they are leaving home
12. What type of work does Bonnemort do for the mine?
(a) tends the horses
(c) runs the cable
13. When did Bonnemort begin working in the mine?
(a) at 8 years old
(b) at 16 years old
(c) at 5 years old
(d) at 12 years old
14. Who is Souvarine?
(a) a Russian anarchist
(b) Chaval's brother
(c) Etienne's team leader
(d) Catherine's boyfriend
15. What type of job did Etienne have previously?
(a) an artist
(b) an engineer
(c) a manager
(d) a mechanic
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the visitors feel about the Maheu children?
2. Why do the Maheus see Catherine moving out as a traitor act to the family?
3. How is Chaval feeling about the relationship between Catherine and Etienne?
4. What is the atmosphere like in the Maheu household?
5. Why do the supervisors fine the Maheu team?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)