|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the miners hate the supervisors?
(a) they don't work much
(b) they're mean and fine them too much
(c) they hit the miners with whips
(d) they have more money than the miners
2. What is Leon Grégoire's biggest concern in life?
(a) maintaining his lifestyle
(b) staying healthy
(c) his son marrying well
(d) keeping his wife happy
3. How do the mine owners lower the workers' pay in October?
(a) adds new taxes
(b) adds new fines
(c) makes the carts larger
(d) disguises it as a new mode of payment due
4. Why is Deneulin failing in his business?
(a) his accountant steals from him
(b) he is stupid
(c) he lacks management skills
(d) he has lazy workers
5. What does Etienne suggest the workers create?
(a) a provident fund
(b) a different shift system
(c) a health plan
(d) a way to rotate workers
6. Why do the supervisors fine the Maheu team?
(a) for faulty timbering
(b) for not meeting the daily quota
(c) for stopping work before lunch
(d) for talking too much
7. How does Chaval feel about Catherine?
(a) he loves her
(b) he respects her
(c) he likes her
(d) he feels nothing
8. How is Chaval feeling about the relationship between Catherine and Etienne?
(c) extremely jealous
9. How does Etienne feel about the miners with whom he is working?
10. What happens to Etienne's relationship with Catherine when he moves into her home?
(a) it falls apart
(b) it becomes physical
(d) it gets stronger
11. How old is Etienne Lantier?
(a) about 30
(b) about 21
(c) about 18
(d) about 40
12. What is one of the reasons Etienne thinks he might be working in the mine?
(a) he likes to mine coal
(b) he wants to own a coal mine
(c) he's drawn to Catherine
(d) he enjoys being underground
13. How do the other miners see Etienne at work?
(a) as too hard working
(b) as stupid
(c) as lazy
(d) as an educated person
14. For what is Etienne hired?
(a) as a hewer
(b) as a carpenter
(c) as a horse tender
(d) as a loader
15. What happens in the Maheu family as the strike is called?
(a) it is getting smaller
(b) they are fighting among themselves
(c) they steal more food
(d) it is getting poorer
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of work does Bonnemort do for the mine?
2. From what hereditary disease does Etienne suffer?
3. What is the name of Bonnemort's family?
4. Where does Chaval go when the miners strike?
5. Who is the Voreux's manager?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)