|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Deneulin failing in his business?
(a) he has lazy workers
(b) he lacks management skills
(c) he is stupid
(d) his accountant steals from him
2. How do the visitors treat the people in the village?
(a) with irritation
(b) with aloofness
(c) with surface politeness
(d) with kindness
3. What does Bonnemort mean?
(a) good luck
(b) bad future
(c) good death
(d) sturdy man
4. How do the other miners see Etienne at work?
(a) as too hard working
(b) as lazy
(c) as an educated person
(d) as stupid
5. Why is La Maheude upset about her family?
(a) they all work in the mine
(b) they won't listen to her
(c) they are leaving home
(d) she doesn't have the money to feed them
6. What does the grocer want in order to help La Maheude?
(a) La Maheude to sleep with him
(b) Catherine to come to the store
(c) La Maheude to work for him
(d) one of La Maheude's family heirlooms
7. What does Deneulin ask of Gregoire?
(a) to pay for Deneulin's schooling
(b) to borrow money
(c) to marry his daughter
(d) to invest in Gregoire's mine
8. Where does Etienne go to rent a room?
(b) Le Voreux
(c) the Advantage
(d) the Jolly Fellow
9. For what does Maheu get scolded by his boss?
(a) dropping a cart
(b) leaving a rotten timber in place
(c) being late to work
(d) having Etienne live with them
10. Why is the innkeeper friendly with Etienne?
(a) he has money
(b) Etienne buys everyone drinks
(c) he likes new people
(d) he knows Pluchart
11. What is Leon Grégoire's biggest concern in life?
(a) his son marrying well
(b) maintaining his lifestyle
(c) keeping his wife happy
(d) staying healthy
12. How do the visitors feel about the Maheu children?
(a) they are stupid
(b) they are funny
(c) they are frightful
(d) they are delightful
13. Where does Chaval go when the miners strike?
(a) to Paris
(b) to LaSalle
(c) to England
(d) to the Jean-Bart pit
14. With whom does Bonnemort live?
(a) his son
(b) his daughter
(c) no one
(d) his wife
15. What happens to Jeanlin in the accident in November in the mine?
(b) he is crippled
(c) he is injured
(d) he is killed
Short Answer Questions
1. Why would visitors come to the mining village?
2. How is Chaval feeling about the relationship between Catherine and Etienne?
3. What is one of the reasons Etienne thinks he might be working in the mine?
4. What type of work does Bonnemort do for the mine?
5. Why do the Maheus see Catherine moving out as a traitor act to the family?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)