|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Souvarine think is the solution to the miners' problems?
(a) banding together
(b) working harder
(c) total destruction of everything
2. How is Chaval feeling about the relationship between Catherine and Etienne?
(a) extremely jealous
3. What type of work does Bonnemort do for the mine?
(a) runs the cable
(d) tends the horses
4. Why do the miners hate the supervisors?
(a) they hit the miners with whips
(b) they don't work much
(c) they're mean and fine them too much
(d) they have more money than the miners
5. Who goes with Chaval when he leaves the Voreux?
6. Why does Chaval believe he owns Catherine?
(a) because he is older than she
(b) because they are engaged
(c) because he took her virginity
(d) because he gives her money
7. Why do the Maheus invite Etienne to live with them?
(a) they need help with the house
(b) they need more money
(c) the oldest child left home
(d) Catherine wants to marry him
8. How do the visitors feel about the Maheu children?
(a) they are stupid
(b) they are delightful
(c) they are frightful
(d) they are funny
9. What is the house number where Bonnemort lives?
(a) number 33
(b) number 18
(c) number 24
(d) number 16
10. What type of job did Etienne have previously?
(a) a mechanic
(b) an engineer
(c) an artist
(d) a manager
11. What does Etienne tell the miners he wants to fight?
(a) the mines closing
(b) pay raises
(c) poor conditions
12. What does Bonnemort tell Etienne about a job at the mine?
(a) there's no opening for a mechanic
(b) that they need a mechanic
(c) there's lots of work
(d) he could be a supervisor
13. Where does Etienne go to rent a room?
(a) the Jolly Fellow
(c) Le Voreux
(d) the Advantage
14. When did Bonnemort begin working in the mine?
(a) at 12 years old
(b) at 5 years old
(c) at 16 years old
(d) at 8 years old
15. What does Etienne create with advice from his friend Pluchart?
(a) a workers' union
(b) a new pay system
(c) a new system of managment
(d) a new way to hew
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the miners presented to the visitors?
2. What is the mining settlement called where the novel takes place?
3. Who does Etienne meet on the first day of the job that he likes?
4. What are the type of people who tend to go to the Advantage?
5. What does the grocer want in order to help La Maheude?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)