Short Answer Key
Part I: Chapter 1-6
1. Where does Etienne Lantier arrive the night at the beginning of the novel?
the Voreux mining pit
2. How old is Etienne Lantier?
3. What type of job did Etienne have previously?
4. Why was Etienne fired from his previous job?
hitting a supervisor
5. What does Bonnemort mean?
6. What does Bonnemort tell Etienne about a job at the mine?
there's no opening for a mechanic
7. When did Bonnemort begin working in the mine?
at 8 years old
8. Why can't Bonnemort work inside the Voreux anymore?
he is sick and disabled
9. Why is Bonnemort delaying his retirement?
to earn more money for retirement
10. What type of work does Bonnemort do for the mine?
11. What is the mining settlement called where the novel takes place?
Two Hundred and Forty
This section contains 2,112 words|
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)