|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part VII: Chapter 1-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why would visitors come to the mining village?
(a) they aren't wealthy enough for Paris
(b) they're related to some mine investors
(c) they want to see how poor people live
(d) they are related to Mrs. Hennebeau
2. Where does Etienne go to rent a room?
(a) the Advantage
(b) the Jolly Fellow
(d) Le Voreux
3. Why do the supervisors fine the Maheu team?
(a) for talking too much
(b) for faulty timbering
(c) for stopping work before lunch
(d) for not meeting the daily quota
4. What keeps groundwater out of the mine?
(a) packed clay
(b) a concrete wall
(d) plastic sheets
5. For what is Etienne hired?
(a) as a carpenter
(b) as a hewer
(c) as a horse tender
(d) as a loader
Short Answer Questions
1. By January, what problem do the striking miners face?
2. How does the company feel about the confrontation at the mine?
3. Why do the activist miners say they have decided to leave the Advantage?
4. How does the union help the miners?
5. Why does Chaval almost instantly dislike Etienne?
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)