|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part VI: Chapter 1-5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Etienne hear talking as he walks?
(a) Jeanlin and Coltier
(b) Chaval and Catherine
(c) Jacques and Catherine
(d) La Maheude and Bonnemort
2. How does Léon Grégoire make his money?
(a) from the mine profits
(b) he's a trader
(c) from the grocery store
(d) he's a banker
3. How does each supervisor or mine director get out of dealing with the miners?
(a) they claim to have no authority
(b) they get police protection
(c) they ignore them
(d) they leave town
4. Where do the miners go when they leave the Hennebeaus?
(b) to the grocery store
(c) to church
(d) to the tavern
5. Of what does Lantier try to convince Deneulin?
(a) to take on more miners
(b) that all mines must strike
(c) to keep Jean-Bart running
(d) to fire Chaval
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Maheu get scolded by his boss?
2. What does Etienne do about what he sees on his walk?
3. What is the mining settlement called where the novel takes place?
4. What is one of the reasons Etienne thinks he might be working in the mine?
5. What is the house number where Bonnemort lives?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)