|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part V: Chapter 1-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What promise to Etienne does Chaval break?
(a) to let go of Catherine
(b) to keep the Jean-Bart miners from working
(c) to help Jeanlin
(d) to help feed the Maheus
2. How does Etienne become a good hewer?
(a) advice and help from Catherine
(b) he studies a book
(c) Bonnemort takes him under his wing
(d) Chaval teaches him
3. How does Deneulin respond to Etienne's request?
(a) he says he'll decide tomorrow
(b) he ignores it
(c) he refuses
(d) he says yes
4. How do the visitors feel about the Maheu children?
(a) they are stupid
(b) they are delightful
(c) they are frightful
(d) they are funny
5. How do the miners leave if the cable is cut?
(a) safety ladders
(b) ride the mine carts
(c) walk the tunnel
(d) ropes thrown down
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the innkeeper friendly with Etienne?
2. Who does Etienne hear talking as he walks?
3. What is one of the reasons Etienne thinks he might be working in the mine?
4. Why is the meeting of the miners and Lantier stopped early?
5. What happens to Jeanlin in the accident in November in the mine?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)