|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 1-5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Etienne do about what he sees on his walk?
(a) he kills the criminal
(b) he watches the miners
(c) he reports the problem
2. Why does Bonnemort go outside to cough when the visitors are there?
(a) so he won't scare them
(b) so he won't be embarrassed
(c) so he won't get anything on them
(d) so they don't know he's sick
3. How does Etienne become a good hewer?
(a) Chaval teaches him
(b) Bonnemort takes him under his wing
(c) he studies a book
(d) advice and help from Catherine
4. Where do the Grégoires live?
(a) near Montsou
(c) at the village
5. What is one of the reasons Etienne thinks he might be working in the mine?
(a) he likes to mine coal
(b) he enjoys being underground
(c) he's drawn to Catherine
(d) he wants to own a coal mine
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Etienne see during his walk?
2. What does Bonnemort tell Etienne about a job at the mine?
3. Where does Etienne go to rent a room?
4. Why do the supervisors fine the Maheu team?
5. When did Bonnemort begin working in the mine?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)