|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 1-5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why would visitors come to the mining village?
(a) they aren't wealthy enough for Paris
(b) they want to see how poor people live
(c) they are related to Mrs. Hennebeau
(d) they're related to some mine investors
2. Why do the miners hate the supervisors?
(a) they don't work much
(b) they hit the miners with whips
(c) they have more money than the miners
(d) they're mean and fine them too much
3. How do the mine owners lower the workers' pay in October?
(a) adds new fines
(b) makes the carts larger
(c) adds new taxes
(d) disguises it as a new mode of payment due
4. Where do the Grégoires live?
(c) near Montsou
(d) at the village
5. What happens in the Maheu family as the strike is called?
(a) they steal more food
(b) they are fighting among themselves
(c) it is getting smaller
(d) it is getting poorer
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Chaval almost instantly dislike Etienne?
2. With whom does Bonnemort live?
3. How do the visitors treat the people in the village?
4. Who does Etienne meet on the first day of the job that he likes?
5. Why is Bonnemort delaying his retirement?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)