|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 1-5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what do Etienne and Souvarine talk?
(a) the future of the workers
(b) how to make money
(c) how to be a good hewer
(d) escaping the mines and going to Paris
2. Why did the Grégoires refuse to help the miners?
(a) they hate poor people
(b) they believe God doesn't want them to
(c) they are almost broke themselves
(d) they believe the miners spend their money unwisely
3. Why would visitors come to the mining village?
(a) they're related to some mine investors
(b) they are related to Mrs. Hennebeau
(c) they want to see how poor people live
(d) they aren't wealthy enough for Paris
4. How does Etienne become a good hewer?
(a) Bonnemort takes him under his wing
(b) he studies a book
(c) Chaval teaches him
(d) advice and help from Catherine
5. For what does Maheu get scolded by his boss?
(a) leaving a rotten timber in place
(b) being late to work
(c) having Etienne live with them
(d) dropping a cart
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bonnemort mean?
2. Who is the overman who hires Étienne Lantier?
3. What does Etienne suggest the workers create?
4. Why does Etienne Lantier go for a walk?
5. What happens in the Maheu family as the strike is called?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)