|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 1-5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Etienne hear talking as he walks?
(a) Jacques and Catherine
(b) La Maheude and Bonnemort
(c) Jeanlin and Coltier
(d) Chaval and Catherine
2. Why would visitors come to the mining village?
(a) they're related to some mine investors
(b) they aren't wealthy enough for Paris
(c) they are related to Mrs. Hennebeau
(d) they want to see how poor people live
3. Who brings in friends from Paris to see the mining town?
(c) the Grégoires
(d) Mrs. Hennebeau
4. Why did the Grégoires refuse to help the miners?
(a) they believe the miners spend their money unwisely
(b) they hate poor people
(c) they are almost broke themselves
(d) they believe God doesn't want them to
5. About what do Etienne and Souvarine talk?
(a) how to be a good hewer
(b) the future of the workers
(c) escaping the mines and going to Paris
(d) how to make money
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lantier think he must do to save Catherine?
2. What is the new capitalistic trend concerning money?
3. How do the visitors feel about the Maheu children?
4. What is the mining settlement called where the novel takes place?
5. Who is Zacharie?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)