|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 1-5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lantier think he must do to save Catherine?
(a) tell her parents about Chaval
(b) get rid of Chaval
(c) run away with her
(d) ask her to marry him
2. About what do Etienne and Souvarine talk?
(a) how to be a good hewer
(b) the future of the workers
(c) escaping the mines and going to Paris
(d) how to make money
3. Why do the supervisors fine the Maheu team?
(a) for not meeting the daily quota
(b) for talking too much
(c) for faulty timbering
(d) for stopping work before lunch
4. What type of work does Bonnemort do for the mine?
(b) runs the cable
(c) tends the horses
5. What does Etienne suggest the workers create?
(a) a provident fund
(b) a different shift system
(c) a way to rotate workers
(d) a health plan
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Etienne meet on the first day of the job that he likes?
2. What is the mining settlement called where the novel takes place?
3. What is the name of Bonnemort's family?
4. Where does Etienne go to rent a room?
5. For what is Etienne hired?
This section contains 217 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)