|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 1-5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Etienne become a good hewer?
(a) Chaval teaches him
(b) he studies a book
(c) advice and help from Catherine
(d) Bonnemort takes him under his wing
2. Who is Léon Grégoire?
(a) Chaval's father
(b) the Maheus' cousin
(c) an important investor in the mine
(d) the night watchman
3. What happens with the provident fund?
(a) it never gets off the ground
(b) Etienne steals from it
(c) it grows quickly
(d) it grows slowly
4. How does Etienne feel about the miners with whom he is working?
5. Why is Bonnemort delaying his retirement?
(a) he has too many children to feed
(b) he likes working
(c) to earn more money for retirement
(d) he wants to keep his grandchildren safe
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a ducasse?
2. What is La Maheude given instead of food?
3. Who is Rasseneur?
4. What does Souvarine think is the solution to the miners' problems?
5. Where does Etienne Lantier arrive the night at the beginning of the novel?
This section contains 207 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)