|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II: Chapter 1-5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Deneulin ask of Gregoire?
(a) to invest in Gregoire's mine
(b) to borrow money
(c) to marry his daughter
(d) to pay for Deneulin's schooling
2. Where does Etienne Lantier arrive the night at the beginning of the novel?
(a) the Voreux mining pit
3. When did Bonnemort begin working in the mine?
(a) at 16 years old
(b) at 5 years old
(c) at 8 years old
(d) at 12 years old
4. What does Bonnemort mean?
(a) good death
(b) sturdy man
(c) good luck
(d) bad future
5. What is the new capitalistic trend concerning money?
(a) give money to poor people
(b) invest in speculation
(c) put the capital to work and maximize profit
(d) put the money in a bank
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bonnemort tell Etienne about a job at the mine?
2. How are the miners presented to the visitors?
3. Where does Etienne go to rent a room?
4. Who is Deneulin?
5. Where does La Maheude go to ask for help?
This section contains 214 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)