|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II: Chapter 1-5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Leon Grégoire's biggest concern in life?
(a) staying healthy
(b) his son marrying well
(c) maintaining his lifestyle
(d) keeping his wife happy
2. Why does Chaval almost instantly dislike Etienne?
(a) he feels superior to him
(b) he reminds him of his father
(c) he feels like Etienne is too smart
(d) he's jealous of him
3. What does Etienne do about what he sees on his walk?
(b) he reports the problem
(c) he watches the miners
(d) he kills the criminal
4. What is the old aristocratic tradition as far as handling money?
(a) use capital wisely and moderately
(b) let someone else handle your money
(c) don't worry about money
(d) spend a lot of money for status
5. What does Etienne see during his walk?
(a) the rape of La Maheude
(b) stealing from the grocery store
(c) the mine being worked
(d) the rape of Catherine
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the mining settlement called where the novel takes place?
2. Where does Etienne Lantier arrive the night at the beginning of the novel?
3. How do the visitors feel about the Maheu children?
4. Who is the overman who hires Étienne Lantier?
5. Who is Deneulin?
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)