|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapter 1-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Etienne fired from his previous job?
(a) hitting a supervisor
(b) being too friendly with the owner's daughter
(c) political activity
(d) drinking on the job
2. Where does Etienne Lantier arrive the night at the beginning of the novel?
(c) the Voreux mining pit
3. What does Bonnemort mean?
(a) good death
(b) good luck
(c) sturdy man
(d) bad future
4. Why is the innkeeper friendly with Etienne?
(a) he likes new people
(b) he knows Pluchart
(c) Etienne buys everyone drinks
(d) he has money
5. How old is Etienne Lantier?
(a) about 21
(b) about 30
(c) about 40
(d) about 18
Short Answer Questions
1. From what hereditary disease does Etienne suffer?
2. How many members of the Maheu family work in the mines?
3. What does Chaval do as Etienne is getting ready to kiss Catherine?
4. By what name does Bonnemort's daughter-in-law go?
5. What is the mining settlement called where the novel takes place?
This section contains 171 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)