|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II: Chapter 1-5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the Grégoires refuse to help the miners?
(a) they believe the miners spend their money unwisely
(b) they hate poor people
(c) they are almost broke themselves
(d) they believe God doesn't want them to
2. What does Etienne do about what he sees on his walk?
(b) he reports the problem
(c) he kills the criminal
(d) he watches the miners
3. What does Deneulin ask of Gregoire?
(a) to borrow money
(b) to marry his daughter
(c) to pay for Deneulin's schooling
(d) to invest in Gregoire's mine
4. Who is Léon Grégoire?
(a) the Maheus' cousin
(b) an important investor in the mine
(c) Chaval's father
(d) the night watchman
5. Why does Chaval believe he owns Catherine?
(a) because he gives her money
(b) because he is older than she
(c) because they are engaged
(d) because he took her virginity
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the mining settlement called where the novel takes place?
2. Where does La Maheude go to ask for help?
3. What type of job did Etienne have previously?
4. How do the visitors feel about the Maheu children?
5. Who does Etienne meet on the first day of the job that he likes?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)