|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part VI: Chapter 1-5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Chaval believe he owns Catherine?
(a) because he is older than she
(b) because he took her virginity
(c) because they are engaged
(d) because he gives her money
2. For what does Maheu get scolded by his boss?
(a) being late to work
(b) leaving a rotten timber in place
(c) having Etienne live with them
(d) dropping a cart
3. How do the miners leave if the cable is cut?
(a) walk the tunnel
(b) safety ladders
(c) ropes thrown down
(d) ride the mine carts
4. Who does Etienne hear talking as he walks?
(a) La Maheude and Bonnemort
(b) Jacques and Catherine
(c) Chaval and Catherine
(d) Jeanlin and Coltier
5. Why do the miners follow Lantier as a leader?
(a) they agree with his ideas
(b) he makes great speeches
(c) he is a college graduate
(d) he is from a wealthy family
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the miners hate the supervisors?
2. What do the Montsu miners do after they are finished at the Jean-Bart mine?
3. During the last part of the strike what are many of the miners' children doing?
4. Who is Rasseneur?
5. What has come to Montsou because of the strike?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)