|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II: Chapter 1-5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the grocer want in order to help La Maheude?
(a) one of La Maheude's family heirlooms
(b) Catherine to come to the store
(c) La Maheude to sleep with him
(d) La Maheude to work for him
2. What is one of the reasons Etienne thinks he might be working in the mine?
(a) he enjoys being underground
(b) he's drawn to Catherine
(c) he likes to mine coal
(d) he wants to own a coal mine
3. What is the mining settlement called where the novel takes place?
(a) Two Hundred
(b) Two Hundred and Forty
(c) Village de Mine
(d) Verus De
4. How are the miners presented to the visitors?
(a) as naughty children
(b) as hard working poor people
(c) like animals in a zoo
(d) as stupid beasts of burden
5. What does Etienne see during his walk?
(a) stealing from the grocery store
(b) the mine being worked
(c) the rape of La Maheude
(d) the rape of Catherine
Short Answer Questions
1. For what is Etienne hired?
2. Who is the overman who hires Étienne Lantier?
3. Why can't Bonnemort work inside the Voreux anymore?
4. Why is La Maheude upset about her family?
5. Where does Etienne go to rent a room?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)