|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II: Chapter 1-5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the supervisors fine the Maheu team?
(a) for faulty timbering
(b) for not meeting the daily quota
(c) for talking too much
(d) for stopping work before lunch
2. What is the mining settlement called where the novel takes place?
(a) Village de Mine
(b) Verus De
(c) Two Hundred
(d) Two Hundred and Forty
3. When did Bonnemort begin working in the mine?
(a) at 8 years old
(b) at 5 years old
(c) at 16 years old
(d) at 12 years old
4. How are the miners presented to the visitors?
(a) as naughty children
(b) as stupid beasts of burden
(c) like animals in a zoo
(d) as hard working poor people
5. How do the visitors treat the people in the village?
(a) with kindness
(b) with surface politeness
(c) with aloofness
(d) with irritation
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chaval do as Etienne is getting ready to kiss Catherine?
2. Why is Deneulin failing in his business?
3. For what is Etienne hired?
4. What does Etienne see during his walk?
5. Who is Deneulin?
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)