|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II: Chapter 1-5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Chaval almost instantly dislike Etienne?
(a) he feels like Etienne is too smart
(b) he's jealous of him
(c) he feels superior to him
(d) he reminds him of his father
2. How does Chaval feel about Catherine?
(a) he loves her
(b) he respects her
(c) he likes her
(d) he feels nothing
3. What is the old aristocratic tradition as far as handling money?
(a) don't worry about money
(b) use capital wisely and moderately
(c) spend a lot of money for status
(d) let someone else handle your money
4. What type of work does Bonnemort do for the mine?
(c) tends the horses
(d) runs the cable
5. Why can't Bonnemort work inside the Voreux anymore?
(a) he is sick and disabled
(b) he is not able to think due to a brain injury
(c) his leg is broken
(d) he is too old
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Etienne go to rent a room?
2. Where does Etienne Lantier arrive the night at the beginning of the novel?
3. Why is Deneulin failing in his business?
4. Why did the Grégoires refuse to help the miners?
5. What is the mining settlement called where the novel takes place?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)