|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II: Chapter 1-5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Léon Grégoire make his money?
(a) from the grocery store
(b) he's a banker
(c) from the mine profits
(d) he's a trader
2. Why would visitors come to the mining village?
(a) they are related to Mrs. Hennebeau
(b) they're related to some mine investors
(c) they aren't wealthy enough for Paris
(d) they want to see how poor people live
3. What is the new capitalistic trend concerning money?
(a) put the capital to work and maximize profit
(b) put the money in a bank
(c) invest in speculation
(d) give money to poor people
4. How are the miners presented to the visitors?
(a) as stupid beasts of burden
(b) like animals in a zoo
(c) as hard working poor people
(d) as naughty children
5. Where do the Grégoires live?
(b) near Montsou
(d) at the village
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the overman who hires Étienne Lantier?
2. What is the mining settlement called where the novel takes place?
3. Why does Chaval believe he owns Catherine?
4. Why does Etienne Lantier go for a walk?
5. How do the visitors feel about the Maheu children?
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)