Part I: Chapter 1-6
• Germinal starts on a Monday of February 1865, in the middle of the night.
• A young man named Etienne Lantier arrives on foot at the Voreux mining pit from Marchiennes, a town located a few kilometers away.
• He is around 21 years old, skinny but strong-looking. He is a mechanic who has been fired from his job at the railroad.
• He is greeted by a 58 year old man named Bonnemort (Vincent Maheu). The man tells him there is no work for a mechanic in the mine.
• The "Two Hundred and Forty" is inhabited by miners and all the houses are owned by the mining company.
• Bonnemort, is the elder of the Maheu family. He lives with his son, along with the latter's wife and their seven children.
• Soon the miners of the settlement leave their home behind them and walk in the cold and dark morning...
This section contains 2,844 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)