|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ruth visits Patty at the girls' reformatory, what does she bring?
2. Where does Mr. Bergen want Patty taken to in Chapter 17?
3. Why does Anton decide to leave Patty?
4. In Chapter 11, what does Ruth admit to having seen?
5. What does Patty dream of doing when she is eighteen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Patty look beyond her disgrace and find the strength to endure sufferings to eventually find success? How does Ruth inspire Patty to persevere? What strengths has Patty developed that will allow her to succeed as an adult?
Essay Topic 2
How are the roles of good and evil defined in the novel? According to the townspeople, who or what is "good" and "evil", and why? According to Patty, who or what is "good" and "evil", and why? How do the townspeople's definitions of good and evil differ from Patty's definitions of good and evil?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Patty copes with loss in the novel. Which characters does she feel like she has lost and how does she react to those losses? How does loss affect Patty's character?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)