|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, what does Ruth offer to give Anton?
2. Why does Anton decide to leave Patty?
3. In Chapter 11, what does Ruth ask Patty about as she prepares breakfast?
4. What does Mrs. Bergen want to sell in Chapter 18?
5. Whom does Mr. Bergen call in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What cycle relating to violence is evident in the novel? How is loneliness linked to jealousy and anger? How does anger progress into hatred, cruelty and violence? How does Patty manage to break this cycle of violence at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the purpose of Patty's hideout. How does Patty use secrecy and isolation in the novel? What might be the long-term social and psychological implications of Patty's tendency to keep secrets and isolate herself when faced with adversity?
Essay Topic 3
How is prejudice described in the novel? What role does prejudice play in the character's lives? Which characters are able to overcome prejudice, and why? How does their open-minded attitude affect their characters?
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)