|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mr. Bergen, which character has been involved in a physical relationship with Patty?
2. What does Patty decide to wear in Chapter 14?
3. What gift does Charlene Madlee buy for Patty in Chapter 20?
4. What does Patty fantasize about in Chapter 20?
5. What is Mr. Bergen forced to give Patty in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characteristics of the protagonist and the antagonist in the novel. Which characteristics indicate that Patty is the protagonist? Which characteristics indicate that Mr. Bergen is the antagonist? What role does prejudice, deception, bravery and self-confidence play in their characters?
Essay Topic 2
What cycle relating to violence is evident in the novel? How is loneliness linked to jealousy and anger? How does anger progress into hatred, cruelty and violence? How does Patty manage to break this cycle of violence at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How are dreams and daydreams used in the novel? What does Patty's dream represent? When does Patty daydream and what purpose do her daydreams serve? What factors cause Patty to abandon her daydreams and focus on reality?
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)