|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Patty's hair in Chapter 6?
2. Who is Charlene Madlee?
3. What do Mr. and Mrs. Bergen argue about in Chapter 7?
4. What advice does Ruth give Patty?
5. When is "Summer of My German Soldier" set?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Patty defend Ruth from Mrs. Bergen's accusations in Chapter 11?
2. Why does Patty lie to Sister Parker in Chapter 4?
3. Why does Patty give Anton her father's monogrammed shirt?
4. In Chapter 8, what does Patty read in the paper that frightens her?
5. In Chapter 9, why does Patty lie to her father and the FBI?
6. Why is Patty's visit with Grandma Fried in Chapter 5 so special?
7. Why does the sheriff question Patty in Chapter 15?
8. Describe Grandma Fried.
9. How does Patty attempt to gain attention from other characters?
10. Who is Charlene Madlee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the roles of good and evil defined in the novel? According to the townspeople, who or what is "good" and "evil", and why? According to Patty, who or what is "good" and "evil", and why? How do the townspeople's definitions of good and evil differ from Patty's definitions of good and evil?
Essay Topic 2
How is deception used in the novel? Under what circumstances does Patty lie? Which other characters are sometimes deceptive and under what circumstances do they attempt to deceive others? How might Patty have learned to lie and deceive others?
Essay Topic 3
How does Patty look beyond her disgrace and find the strength to endure sufferings to eventually find success? How does Ruth inspire Patty to persevere? What strengths has Patty developed that will allow her to succeed as an adult?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)