|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Anton love greatly?
2. What happens to Patty's hair in Chapter 6?
3. What lie does Patty tell her father?
4. Which character questions the prison's warden in Chapter 9?
5. What does Mr. Bergen think should happen to all German prisoners of war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Bergen treat Patty differently in Chapter 16?
2. Why do the townspeople of Jenkinsville gather at the train station in Chapter 1?
3. What other institution does Patty compare to the girl's reformatory?
4. What role does Ruth play in Patty's life?
5. Describe Grandma Fried.
6. Why does Grandma Fried tell Patty she has nothing to apologize for?
7. Why does Patty defend Ruth from Mrs. Bergen's accusations in Chapter 11?
8. Why does Mrs. Bergen yell at Patty while on the trip to Grandma and Grandpa Fried's house?
9. What is the result of Patty's visit to the beautician?
10. Why does Ruth initially refuse to eat breakfast with Anton and Patty, and then decide to join them after a few minutes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how love is defined in the novel. How does Patty attempt to earn love? How does Patty find love? Which character or characters has always loved Patty, and why? What determination does Patty make about who and how to love?
Essay Topic 2
What toll does abuse take on the characters in the novel? What types of abuses exist and when does the abuse occur? Why do the abusers attack their victims? What long-term effects could their victims face?
Essay Topic 3
What type of role model is Ruth for Patty? Who or what does Ruth replace in Patty's life? How might Ruth's guidance and advice affect Patty's development as an adult? How might Ruth's insights into prejudice, suffering and endurance encourage Patty?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)