|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sharon pretend to see on Mrs. Bergen?
2. What makes Patty feel pretty?
3. In Chapter 8, what does the proclamation that Patty reads state?
4. Who does Patty see near her hideout in Chapter 7?
5. Whom does Anton dislike?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Patty Bergen.
2. Why doesn't Patty want to go to the beautician?
3. How does Patty's mother deceive her in Chapter 2?
4. What is the result of Patty's visit to the beautician?
5. Describe Edna Louise.
6. What new information does Patty attempt to tell her parents in Chapter 6?
7. How do Patty's parents treat their oldest daughter?
8. How have Patty's actions disgraced the Bergen family?
9. Why does Patty lie to Sister Parker in Chapter 4?
10. What other institution does Patty compare to the girl's reformatory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the wisdom of holding prisoners of war near a rural town. What risks do the townspeople of Jenkinsville face in having a prison camp nearby? How might having a military prison close to the town affect the town's industry, economy and productivity? How might the town's social activities be affected by the presence of the prison?
Essay Topic 2
How is the element of irony used in the novel? What irony is related to the discussion of "good versus evil"? What irony is related to love? What irony exists in the authority figures in the novel? How do all of these ironic elements eventually affect Patty's character?
Essay Topic 3
What toll does abuse take on the characters in the novel? What types of abuses exist and when does the abuse occur? Why do the abusers attack their victims? What long-term effects could their victims face?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)