|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Patty do after breakfast in Chapter 8?
2. Who does Patty see near her hideout in Chapter 7?
3. Why does Patty lie to Sister Parker?
4. What does Edna Louise say about America?
5. Where have Patty's friends gone in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prayer does Patty offer in Chapter 3?
2. How is abuse affecting the Bergen family?
3. In Chapter 8, what does Patty read in the paper that frightens her?
4. Why does Ruth initially refuse to eat breakfast with Anton and Patty, and then decide to join them after a few minutes?
5. Why does Patty lie to Sister Parker in Chapter 4?
6. How does Patty attempt to wound her father in Chapter 15?
7. How does Patty learn of Anton's death?
8. What other institution does Patty compare to the girl's reformatory?
9. Why does Mrs. Bergen yell at Patty while on the trip to Grandma and Grandpa Fried's house?
10. What happens when Freddy is seen with Patty in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is deception used in the novel? Under what circumstances does Patty lie? Which other characters are sometimes deceptive and under what circumstances do they attempt to deceive others? How might Patty have learned to lie and deceive others?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characteristics of the protagonist and the antagonist in the novel. Which characteristics indicate that Patty is the protagonist? Which characteristics indicate that Mr. Bergen is the antagonist? What role does prejudice, deception, bravery and self-confidence play in their characters?
Essay Topic 3
How is manipulation used in the novel? Is Mrs. Bergen's manipulation a form of abuse? Why or why not? What is Mrs. Bergen attempting to achieve through the use of manipulation? How does Patty attempt to use manipulation to achieve her goals?
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)