|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does one prisoner respond when taunted?
2. What does Anton do with fake diamonds in Chapter 8?
3. What does Edna Louise say about America?
4. What does Patty do the day after she visits her grandmother?
5. What makes Patty feel pretty?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ruth initially refuse to eat breakfast with Anton and Patty, and then decide to join them after a few minutes?
2. In Chapter 7, what does Patty see from her hideout?
3. Why does Patty offer to guide Charlene to the prison camp?
4. Why does Patty defend Ruth from Mrs. Bergen's accusations in Chapter 11?
5. What is the result of Patty's visit to the beautician?
6. Why does Patty speak to Anton, a prisoner, in Chapter 3?
7. Who is Charlene Madlee?
8. How have Patty's actions disgraced the Bergen family?
9. What new information does Patty attempt to tell her parents in Chapter 6?
10. Describe Edna Louise.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the wisdom of holding prisoners of war near a rural town. What risks do the townspeople of Jenkinsville face in having a prison camp nearby? How might having a military prison close to the town affect the town's industry, economy and productivity? How might the town's social activities be affected by the presence of the prison?
Essay Topic 2
How is deception used in the novel? Under what circumstances does Patty lie? Which other characters are sometimes deceptive and under what circumstances do they attempt to deceive others? How might Patty have learned to lie and deceive others?
Essay Topic 3
How is manipulation used in the novel? Is Mrs. Bergen's manipulation a form of abuse? Why or why not? What is Mrs. Bergen attempting to achieve through the use of manipulation? How does Patty attempt to use manipulation to achieve her goals?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)