|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Patty do the day after she visits her grandmother?
(a) Rides her bike into town.
(b) Calls her grandmother on the phone.
(c) Writes her grandmother a thank-you note.
(d) Packs her bags for school.
2. Which character does Patty converse with in Chapter 3?
(b) A guard.
(c) The warden.
(d) The Staff Sergeant.
3. How does one prisoner respond when taunted?
(a) He swears.
(b) He kicks up dust.
(c) He spits.
(d) He smiles and waves.
4. Who is Sister Parker?
(a) Mrs. Bergen's housekeeper.
(b) Mrs. Bergen's best friend.
(c) A sales clerk.
(d) The pastor's wife.
5. What does Patty tell Charlene Madlee she wants to be when she grows up?
(a) A shopkeeper.
(b) A reporter.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A beautician.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, who does Patty see in her hideout?
2. What does Patty do after breakfast in Chapter 8?
3. Where have Patty's friends gone in Chapter 5?
4. How could Patty get back to Memphis on her own?
5. Why doesn't Mr. Bergen like Grandpa Fried?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the sheriff question Patty in Chapter 15?
2. What does Ruth give Patty when she visits the girls' reformatory?
3. Why does Patty speak to Anton, a prisoner, in Chapter 3?
4. Why does Anton compare Mr. Bergen to Hitler?
5. In Chapter 9, why does Patty lie to her father and the FBI?
6. What problems are caused by Anton's ring?
7. Why does Patty lash out at Sharon in Chapter 14?
8. Why do Patty's parents insist she go to the beautician?
9. Why do the townspeople of Jenkinsville gather at the train station in Chapter 1?
10. Why doesn't Patty want to go to the beautician?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)