|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Patty want to work in the Bergen's store?
(a) She wants to earn ticket money.
(b) She hopes to see Anton.
(c) She fears her father.
(d) Working makes her feel useful.
2. What is Patty's opinion of Anton?
(a) He is a very nice person.
(b) He is probably in league with the devil.
(c) He is probably lying.
(d) He is too handsome to be evil.
3. How does Patty's father treat her on a consistent basis?
(a) With calculated manipulation.
(b) With a cold, violent temper.
(c) With firm kindness.
(d) With quiet disdain.
4. In Chapter 3, where is Patty when the German prisoners arrive?
(a) At her grandmother's house.
(b) In school.
(c) In the Bergen's store.
(d) At home.
5. What does Patty tell Sister Parker about Anton?
(a) He isn't really German.
(b) She is afraid of him.
(c) He hates Hitler and hopes America wins the war.
(d) He is a long lost cousin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Patty drawn towards Anton?
2. Where is the restaurant located where Patty and her grandmother have lunch?
3. In Chapter 8, what does the proclamation that Patty reads state?
4. What does Patty sell Anton Reiker in Chapter 3?
5. Why does Patty decide to obey her mother in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How have Patty's actions disgraced the Bergen family?
2. What is the result of Patty's visit to the beautician?
3. How does Patty learn of Anton's death?
4. Why does Anton give Patty a gift before he leaves?
5. What makes Patty cry in Chapter 18?
6. Why does Ruth initially refuse to eat breakfast with Anton and Patty, and then decide to join them after a few minutes?
7. Describe Patty's dream.
8. Why does Patty defend Ruth from Mrs. Bergen's accusations in Chapter 11?
9. Why does Patty offer to guide Charlene to the prison camp?
10. Why do Patty's parents insist she go to the beautician?
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)