|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character's mother had a college fund stolen by a dishonest banker?
(b) Edna Louise.
(d) Mrs. Bergen.
2. Why does Patty claim she was given her present?
(a) Because Edna Louise feels sorry for her.
(b) Because Anton loves her.
(c) Because she fed an old man.
(d) Because Freddy loves her.
3. Why does Patty think her father is treating her differently in Chapter 16?
(a) Because he has stopped drinking.
(b) He respects her strength.
(c) He truly loves her.
(d) He is filled with remorse.
4. Why does Anton decide to leave Patty?
(a) He realizes he is putting her in danger.
(b) Ruth begs him to leave.
(c) He is tired of being around a little girl.
(d) He wants to return to Germany.
5. In Chapter 11, what does Ruth admit to having seen?
(a) Anton try to rescue Patty from her father.
(b) Patty's father beating Mrs. Bergen.
(c) Edna Louise's boyfriend.
(d) Anton steal food from the kitchen.
6. Which character drives Patty to the girls' reformatory?
(a) Grandma Fried.
(b) Calvin Grimes.
(c) Sheriff Cauldwell.
(d) Grandpa Fried.
7. When Ruth visits Patty at the girls' reformatory, what does she bring?
(a) A bible.
(b) Patty's ring.
(c) Patty's necklace.
(d) A newspaper.
8. What does Ruth wear in Chapter 13?
(a) A pin Patty gave her for Mother's Day.
(b) A large coat filled with stolen food.
(c) A hat Patty gave her for Mother's Day.
(d) A gold ring from Anton.
9. What explanation does Patty give for her actions in Chapter 17?
(a) She was rebelling against her parents.
(b) Anton was good to her.
(c) She is in love with Anton.
(d) Holding a good man prisoner is wrong.
10. What does the sheriff give Patty in Chapter 18?
(a) A bible.
(b) A sandwich.
(c) Her ring.
(d) Her necklace.
11. In Chapter 11, what is Ruth accused of doing?
(a) Stealing food.
(b) Hiding spies.
(c) Stealing money.
(d) Being lazy.
12. Which character buys Patty lunch in Chapter 19?
(a) Grandpa Fried.
(b) Sheriff Cauldwell.
(c) Calvin Grimes.
(d) Grandma Fried.
13. In Chapter 12, what does Ruth offer to give Anton?
(a) A place to stay.
(b) Money and food.
(c) A map.
(d) A change of clothing.
14. What does Patty decide to do in Chapter 13?
(a) Murder her father.
(b) Run away with Anton.
(c) Confess to her mother.
(d) Move to her grandmother's house.
15. What does Patty dream of doing when she is eighteen?
(a) Marrying Freddy.
(b) Moving to Memphis.
(c) Moving to New York.
(d) Finding Anton.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Patty believe her father would gain from turning in Anton?
2. Who is Mavis?
3. What gift does Charlene Madlee buy for Patty in Chapter 20?
4. According to Mr. Bergen, which character has been involved in a physical relationship with Patty?
5. What derogatory name is Patty called in Chapter 18?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)