|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By the end of Chapter 15, how does Patty feel about her father?
(a) She loves him dearly.
(b) She sees his weakness.
(c) She is afraid he will kill her.
(d) She hates him.
2. What does Mrs. Bergen want to sell in Chapter 18?
(b) Patty's necklace.
(c) Patty's ring.
(d) The store.
3. Why does Patty attack her visitor in Chapter 16?
(a) He says he does not love her.
(b) She calls Patty a tramp.
(c) He shows her a bloody shirt Anton had been wearing.
(d) He refuses to take her away with him.
4. What does Anton give Patty in Chapter 13?
(a) A necklace.
(b) A hug.
(c) A book.
(d) A ring.
5. Where does Mr. Bergen want Patty taken to in Chapter 17?
(c) New York.
6. Which character comforts Patty in Chapter 15?
(c) Mrs. Bergen.
(d) Sister Parker.
7. Who does Anton compare to Mr. Bergen?
(a) A bear.
(b) The warden.
(d) A lion.
8. When Ruth visits Patty at the girls' reformatory, what does she bring?
(a) A bible.
(b) A newspaper.
(c) Patty's necklace.
(d) Patty's ring.
9. What happens to Ruth in Chapter 17?
(a) She is shot.
(b) She is fired.
(c) Mr. Bergen hits her.
(d) Mrs. Bergen slaps her.
10. How long will Patty spend at the girls' reformatory?
(a) Four years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Four months.
(d) Two months.
11. In Chapter 17, what does Mr. Bergen claim Patty has done?
(a) Disgraced him.
(b) Lied to herself.
(c) Been fooled by a liar.
(d) Betrayed her country.
12. Why does Anton decide to leave Patty?
(a) He is tired of being around a little girl.
(b) He wants to return to Germany.
(c) Ruth begs him to leave.
(d) He realizes he is putting her in danger.
13. Whom does Mr. Bergen call in Chapter 15?
(a) The warden.
(b) Freddy's father.
(c) The sheriff.
(d) The Staff Sergeant.
14. What does the sheriff give Patty in Chapter 18?
(a) A sandwich.
(b) A bible.
(c) Her necklace.
(d) Her ring.
15. In Chapter 11, what does Ruth admit to having seen?
(a) Edna Louise's boyfriend.
(b) Anton try to rescue Patty from her father.
(c) Anton steal food from the kitchen.
(d) Patty's father beating Mrs. Bergen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Patty decide to tell her father in Chapter 13?
2. When Ruth visits Patty at the girls' reformatory, what does she tell Patty about Mr. and Mrs. Bergen?
3. In Chapter 12, where is Sharon invited to spend the day?
4. To whom is Sharon compared in Chapter 14?
5. According to Mr. Bergen, which character has been involved in a physical relationship with Patty?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)