|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 11, what does Ruth admit to having seen?
(a) Anton try to rescue Patty from her father.
(b) Anton steal food from the kitchen.
(c) Patty's father beating Mrs. Bergen.
(d) Edna Louise's boyfriend.
2. Why does Anton decide to leave Patty?
(a) He wants to return to Germany.
(b) Ruth begs him to leave.
(c) He realizes he is putting her in danger.
(d) He is tired of being around a little girl.
3. What happens to Ruth in Chapter 17?
(a) She is fired.
(b) Mr. Bergen hits her.
(c) Mrs. Bergen slaps her.
(d) She is shot.
4. In Chapter 11, what is Ruth accused of doing?
(a) Hiding spies.
(b) Stealing food.
(c) Being lazy.
(d) Stealing money.
5. In Chapter 17, what does Mr. Bergen claim Patty has done?
(a) Disgraced him.
(b) Been fooled by a liar.
(c) Betrayed her country.
(d) Lied to herself.
6. What does Patty dream of doing when she is eighteen?
(a) Finding Anton.
(b) Marrying Freddy.
(c) Moving to New York.
(d) Moving to Memphis.
7. What does Mrs. Bergen want to sell in Chapter 18?
(a) Patty's necklace.
(c) The store.
(d) Patty's ring.
8. When Ruth visits Patty at the girls' reformatory, what does she bring?
(a) A bible.
(b) Patty's ring.
(c) Patty's necklace.
(d) A newspaper.
9. Why does Patty claim she was given her present?
(a) Because Anton loves her.
(b) Because Edna Louise feels sorry for her.
(c) Because she fed an old man.
(d) Because Freddy loves her.
10. What does Patty decide to tell her father in Chapter 13?
(a) To stop being cruel.
(b) About Anton.
(c) She is leaving.
(d) She wants to live with her grandmother.
11. What does Patty decide to wear in Chapter 14?
(a) A new dress.
(b) Her ring.
(c) A swastika.
(d) Her necklace.
12. In Chapter 12, what does Ruth offer to give Anton?
(a) A change of clothing.
(b) A map.
(c) A place to stay.
(d) Money and food.
13. Where does Mr. Bergen talk about taking Sharon?
(b) New York.
(d) Los Angeles.
14. What does Ruth wear in Chapter 13?
(a) A gold ring from Anton.
(b) A hat Patty gave her for Mother's Day.
(c) A large coat filled with stolen food.
(d) A pin Patty gave her for Mother's Day.
15. Which character drives Patty to the girls' reformatory?
(a) Sheriff Cauldwell.
(b) Grandma Fried.
(c) Grandpa Fried.
(d) Calvin Grimes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character comforts Patty in Chapter 15?
2. What derogatory name is Patty called in Chapter 18?
3. What does Mr. Bergen call Patty in Chapter 14?
4. What is Mr. Bergen forced to give Patty in Chapter 15?
5. What does Mrs. Bergen ask Mr. Bergen in Chapter 15?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)