|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Bergen ask Mr. Bergen in Chapter 15?
(a) Why he hit Patty.
(b) To fire Ruth.
(c) To send Patty away.
(d) Why the police have to be involved in family affairs.
2. What does Mrs. Bergen want to sell in Chapter 18?
(a) Patty's necklace.
(b) The store.
(d) Patty's ring.
3. Who is Mavis?
(a) Ruth's new employer.
(b) Patty's roommate at the girls' reformatory.
(c) The head matron at the girls' reformatory.
(d) The social worker handling Patty's case.
4. Why does Patty claim she was given her present?
(a) Because Freddy loves her.
(b) Because she fed an old man.
(c) Because Anton loves her.
(d) Because Edna Louise feels sorry for her.
5. What does Mr. Bergen call Patty in Chapter 14?
(a) A misfit.
(b) A thief.
(c) A dirty girl.
(d) A liar.
6. In Chapter 17, what does Mr. Bergen claim Patty has done?
(a) Betrayed her country.
(b) Lied to herself.
(c) Been fooled by a liar.
(d) Disgraced him.
7. Where does Mr. Bergen want Patty taken to in Chapter 17?
(d) New York.
8. What explanation does Patty give for her actions in Chapter 17?
(a) She is in love with Anton.
(b) She was rebelling against her parents.
(c) Anton was good to her.
(d) Holding a good man prisoner is wrong.
9. Why does Anton decide to leave Patty?
(a) He realizes he is putting her in danger.
(b) Ruth begs him to leave.
(c) He is tired of being around a little girl.
(d) He wants to return to Germany.
10. Where is Patty taken in Chapter 18?
(a) Washington, D.C.
(b) Los Angeles.
(d) New York.
11. When Ruth visits Patty at the girls' reformatory, what does she bring?
(a) Patty's ring.
(b) A newspaper.
(c) A bible.
(d) Patty's necklace.
12. In Chapter 12, what does Ruth offer to give Anton?
(a) A change of clothing.
(b) Money and food.
(c) A map.
(d) A place to stay.
13. Which character buys Patty lunch in Chapter 19?
(a) Calvin Grimes.
(b) Grandpa Fried.
(c) Grandma Fried.
(d) Sheriff Cauldwell.
14. In Chapter 12, where is Sharon invited to spend the day?
(c) Wynne City .
(d) The Bergen's store.
15. In Chapter 20, what does Patty give Mavis?
(a) Her report.
(b) Her pillow.
(c) A hug.
(d) Her breakfast.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Patty attack her visitor in Chapter 16?
2. In Chapter 16, what does Patty hide in Ruth's apron pocket?
3. Whose phone call does Mr. Bergen wait for in Chapter 18?
4. What does Ruth wear in Chapter 13?
5. What does Patty believe her father would gain from turning in Anton?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)