|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose phone call does Mr. Bergen wait for in Chapter 18?
(a) Patty's grandfather.
(b) The sheriff.
(c) Mrs. Bergen.
(d) Patty's lawyer.
2. Where does Mr. Bergen want Patty taken to in Chapter 17?
(a) New York.
3. Which character buys Patty lunch in Chapter 19?
(a) Sheriff Cauldwell.
(b) Grandma Fried.
(c) Calvin Grimes.
(d) Grandpa Fried.
4. What does Patty's mother want to know in Chapter 16?
(a) Why Patty doesn't have any friends.
(b) What happened in the garage.
(c) Who sent Patty a letter.
(d) Where Mr. Bergen's monogrammed shirt is hidden.
5. When Ruth visits Patty at the girls' reformatory, what does she bring?
(a) A newspaper.
(b) Patty's ring.
(c) Patty's necklace.
(d) A bible.
6. What does Patty decide to do in Chapter 13?
(a) Murder her father.
(b) Move to her grandmother's house.
(c) Run away with Anton.
(d) Confess to her mother.
7. Why does Anton decide to leave Patty?
(a) He wants to return to Germany.
(b) He is tired of being around a little girl.
(c) Ruth begs him to leave.
(d) He realizes he is putting her in danger.
8. Where does Anton hide in Chapter 12?
(a) In the garage.
(b) Under Patty's bed.
(c) In the hall closet.
(d) In the kitchen cupboard.
9. To whom is Sharon compared in Chapter 14?
(a) An angel.
(b) Shirley Temple.
(c) Joan Bennett.
(d) Mrs. Bergen.
10. What does Patty decide to tell her father in Chapter 13?
(a) She wants to live with her grandmother.
(b) To stop being cruel.
(c) She is leaving.
(d) About Anton.
11. In Chapter 20, what does Patty give Mavis?
(a) Her breakfast.
(b) A hug.
(c) Her report.
(d) Her pillow.
12. Why does Patty think her father is treating her differently in Chapter 16?
(a) Because he has stopped drinking.
(b) He is filled with remorse.
(c) He truly loves her.
(d) He respects her strength.
13. Who is Mavis?
(a) Patty's roommate at the girls' reformatory.
(b) Ruth's new employer.
(c) The head matron at the girls' reformatory.
(d) The social worker handling Patty's case.
14. In Chapter 11, what is Ruth accused of doing?
(a) Being lazy.
(b) Stealing food.
(c) Hiding spies.
(d) Stealing money.
15. Whom does Patty kiss in Chapter 13?
(c) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Bergen forced to give Patty in Chapter 15?
2. In Chapter 11, what does Ruth ask Patty about as she prepares breakfast?
3. Who does Anton compare to Mr. Bergen?
4. How long will Patty spend at the girls' reformatory?
5. In Chapter 12, what does Ruth offer to give Anton?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)