|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Bergen think should happen to all German prisoners of war?
(a) They should be kept in Europe.
(b) They should be shot.
(c) They should be kept inside the prison at all times.
(d) Their prison camps should be far away from towns.
2. How does Patty get to her grandmother's house?
(a) By bus.
(b) By bike.
(c) By car.
(d) By train.
3. Why is Patty willing to help Anton?
(a) She is rebelling against her parents.
(b) She loves Germany.
(c) She likes him and doesn't want him to get hurt.
(d) Anton is willing to pay her.
4. Where is the restaurant located where Patty and her grandmother have lunch?
(a) At the top of a grand hotel.
(b) In the lobby of a hotel.
(d) Overlooking a river.
5. What would Grandma Fried like for Patty to do?
(a) Help her clean house once a week.
(b) Go back home.
(c) Go to boarding school.
(d) Visit more often.
6. Who is Edna Louise?
(a) Patty's best friend.
(b) Sister Parker's daughter.
(c) A popular girl who goes to school with Patty.
(d) Patty's cousin.
7. What does Anton do with fake diamonds in Chapter 8?
(a) Sell them to Mr. Bergen.
(b) Pick a lock.
(c) Melt plastic.
(d) Bribe a guard.
8. How does one prisoner respond when taunted?
(a) He kicks up dust.
(b) He swears.
(c) He smiles and waves.
(d) He spits.
9. In Chapter 9, what topic is everyone is town discussing?
(a) The bombing of Pearl Harbor.
(b) The landing at Normandy.
(c) Anton's escape.
(d) The new proclamation.
10. What does Patty tell Charlene Madlee she wants to be when she grows up?
(a) A shopkeeper.
(b) A beautician.
(c) A reporter.
(d) A teacher.
11. What does Patty offer to do for Charlene Madlee?
(a) Sweep her floor.
(b) Show her the German prison camp.
(c) Get her a glass of tea.
(d) Work in her stockroom.
12. What lie does Patty tell her father?
(a) A prisoner tried to escape.
(b) Sharon stole candy.
(c) Thieves stole her money.
(d) Ruth is lazy.
13. How old is Anton?
(a) Over thirty.
(c) A least twenty.
(d) No one knows except Anton.
14. What does Patty's grandmother buy her after lunch?
(a) A book.
(b) A necklace.
(c) A ticket home.
(d) New clothes.
15. What does Mrs. Bergen berate Patty about in Chapter 4?
(a) Her accent.
(b) Her manners.
(c) Her hair.
(d) Her dress.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Patty's father do when he sees her with Freddy?
2. Whom does Anton dislike?
3. How does Patty surprise Ruth in Chapter 10?
4. What last minute purchase does Anton make from the store?
5. In Chapter 8, what does Patty read about in the paper?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)