|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How wealthy were Mr. Bergen's parents?
(a) They were middle class business owners.
(b) They were extremely poor.
(c) They were extremely wealthy.
(d) They were wealthy, but donated much of their money to charity.
2. What makes Patty feel pretty?
(a) Her eyes.
(b) Her new dress.
(c) Her hair.
(d) Her necklace.
3. Why does Patty lie to Sister Parker?
(a) She is angry.
(b) She does not want Sister Parker to blame Lousie.
(c) She does not want Sister Parker to blame Edna.
(d) She is afraid of getting in trouble.
4. How does Patty's father react to her gift?
(a) He tosses it aside.
(b) He tells Patty it is ugly.
(c) He hugs her.
(d) He complains that it is the wrong size.
5. Why is Anton surprised that Patty is willing to help him?
(a) She is willing to risk her life for a stranger.
(b) She is a young girl.
(c) She is an American.
(d) She is Jewish.
6. What does Patty pray for in Chapter 3?
(a) That she could run away from home.
(b) That Anton would escape.
(c) That Anton would be her friend.
(d) That the Germans would leave.
7. In Chapter 3, where is Patty when the German prisoners arrive?
(a) At home.
(b) In school.
(c) In the Bergen's store.
(d) At her grandmother's house.
8. What does Patty sell Anton Reiker in Chapter 3?
(a) A pencil sharpener.
(c) Work boots.
(d) A coat.
9. Where does Patty retreat to in Chapter 7?
(a) The stockroom.
(b) Her grandmother's house.
(c) Her hideout.
(d) Edna Louise's house.
10. What does Sharon pretend to see on Mrs. Bergen?
(a) A flower.
(b) A bee.
(c) A crown.
(d) A flea.
11. Where does Patty go after breakfast in Chapter 8?
(a) To the store.
(b) To Edna Louise's house.
(c) To her hideout.
(d) To school.
12. Where is Patty's hideout?
(a) Above a garage.
(b) In the basement.
(c) In a treehouse.
(d) Inside the old train depot.
13. What last minute purchase does Anton make from the store?
(a) A pair of work pants.
(b) A gaudy pin with fake diamonds.
(c) A pair of work gloves.
(d) A fake gold ring.
14. What is Anton's expression as he leaves the store in Chapter 3?
(a) He seems angry.
(b) He is frowning.
(c) He is grinning.
(d) He appears sad.
15. How does Patty get to her grandmother's house?
(a) By bike.
(b) By car.
(c) By train.
(d) By bus.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Patty see near her hideout in Chapter 7?
2. What does Patty tell Charlene Madlee she wants to be when she grows up?
3. What does Mr. Bergen think should happen to all German prisoners of war?
4. What is Patty's ethnic heritage?
5. Why does Patty visit Edna Louise?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)