|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Edna Louise say about Anton?
(a) He deserves a chance.
(b) He is on the devil's side.
(c) Since he knows English, he's probably a spy.
(d) He is handsome.
2. In Chapter 8, who does Patty see in her hideout?
(a) Edna Louise.
(b) A stranger.
(d) Her father.
3. How does Patty's father treat her on a consistent basis?
(a) With quiet disdain.
(b) With a cold, violent temper.
(c) With firm kindness.
(d) With calculated manipulation.
4. Which character questions the prison's warden in Chapter 9?
(a) Sheriff Cauldwell.
(b) Charlene Madlee.
(c) Mr. Bergen.
5. What impresses Patty about Anton Reiker?
(a) His accent.
(b) His physique.
(c) His blue eyes.
(d) His flawless English.
6. What is Patty's ethnic heritage?
7. What does Edna Louise say about America?
(a) It should end the war.
(b) It is on God's side.
(c) Patty is free to live where she wants.
(d) Everyone deserves a chance to live here.
8. What excuse does Patty give for laughing with Anton?
(a) Anton told her a funny story.
(b) She was laughing because she was nervous.
(c) She was laughing at his poor knowledge of English.
(d) Anton was making funny faces at the guard.
9. What is Patty's grandmother worried about in Chapter 5?
(a) Patty's health.
(b) Her sisters in Luxembourg.
(c) The German prisoners of war.
10. Why does Patty visit Edna Louise?
(a) She wants to warn Edna about Sister Parker.
(b) She wants to talk about Anton.
(c) To confess her crime.
(d) To find answers.
11. In Chapter 9, what topic is everyone is town discussing?
(a) The bombing of Pearl Harbor.
(b) The new proclamation.
(c) The landing at Normandy.
(d) Anton's escape.
12. What does Mr. Bergen think should happen to all German prisoners of war?
(a) They should be kept in Europe.
(b) Their prison camps should be far away from towns.
(c) They should be shot.
(d) They should be kept inside the prison at all times.
13. What are the Germans looking for in Chapter 3?
(a) Work boots.
14. In Chapter 1, what facility has opened up in town?
(a) A camp for German prisoners of war.
(b) A new train station.
(c) A new Army base.
(d) A new Naval base.
15. How does Patty surprise Ruth in Chapter 10?
(a) By washing her own plate and cup.
(b) By waking up on her own.
(c) By bathing and dressing nicely on her own.
(d) By giving Ruth a hug.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Patty do after breakfast in Chapter 8?
2. Why doesn't Patty want her father to catch her praying?
3. Why does Patty want to work in the Bergen's store?
4. Whom does Anton dislike?
5. What does Patty ask Anton in Chapter 3?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)