|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What impresses Patty about Anton Reiker?
(a) His accent.
(b) His physique.
(c) His blue eyes.
(d) His flawless English.
2. Why does Patty want to work in the Bergen's store?
(a) She hopes to see Anton.
(b) She fears her father.
(c) Working makes her feel useful.
(d) She wants to earn ticket money.
3. What does Patty learn about the Nazi party in Chapter 6?
(a) Nazis have attempted sabotage in the United States.
(b) The Nazi party began in Austria.
(c) Nazis are organizing youth in the United States.
(d) Hitler is not the founder of the Nazi party.
4. Why are the horizontal stair boards removed from the stairs leading to the hideout?
(a) The room is in the process of being remodeled.
(b) They are rotten.
(c) To keep out vagrants.
(d) To keep other kids away.
5. What does Sister Parker accuse Patty of doing?
(a) Lying to her mother.
(b) Stealing from the store.
(c) Smiling at one of the prisoners.
(d) Being a disobedient daughter.
6. Where is Patty's hideout?
(a) Inside the old train depot.
(b) In the basement.
(c) In a treehouse.
(d) Above a garage.
7. What does Edna Louise say about America?
(a) Everyone deserves a chance to live here.
(b) Patty is free to live where she wants.
(c) It should end the war.
(d) It is on God's side.
8. How does Patty shock Edna Louise?
(a) By confessing her crime.
(b) By telling her she like Anton.
(c) By admitting she hates her mother.
(d) By telling Edna Louise that she is going to run away.
9. In Chapter 7, who cuts Patty's hair?
(b) Edna Louise.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Mrs. Bergen.
10. What is Anton's expression as he leaves the store in Chapter 3?
(a) He seems angry.
(b) He is grinning.
(c) He appears sad.
(d) He is frowning.
11. In Chapter 3, where is Patty when the German prisoners arrive?
(a) In school.
(b) In the Bergen's store.
(c) At her grandmother's house.
(d) At home.
12. How could Patty get back to Memphis on her own?
(a) By car.
(b) By bus.
(c) By train.
(d) By bike.
13. What do Mr. and Mrs. Bergen argue about in Chapter 7?
(a) The German prisoners.
(b) The store's inventory.
(c) Patty's hair.
(d) The war.
14. Why does Patty decide to obey her mother in Chapter 6?
(a) Her father threatens to beat her.
(b) Being alone at home is better than being shunned at the store.
(c) She does not want her sister to get dirty.
(d) She hopes she will see Anton.
15. What does Patty dream about at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) Searching for her real mother on a horse named Evol.
(b) Riding behind Anton on a black horse.
(c) Running away to live with her grandmother.
(d) Eating dinner with Anton in a fine restaurant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lie does Mrs. Bergen tell Grandma Fried in Chapter 2?
2. What last minute purchase does Anton make from the store?
3. Why do the Bergens go to Memphis in Chapter 2?
4. Why does Patty go to the store in Chapter 1?
5. What happens at dinner in Chapter 7?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)