|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is "Summer of My German Soldier" set?
2. How does Patty view people?
(a) By their language.
(b) By the color of their skin.
(c) By their nationality.
(d) Without prejudice.
3. What does Mr. Bergen think should happen to all German prisoners of war?
(a) They should be kept in Europe.
(b) They should be shot.
(c) Their prison camps should be far away from towns.
(d) They should be kept inside the prison at all times.
4. How does one prisoner respond when taunted?
(a) He spits.
(b) He swears.
(c) He smiles and waves.
(d) He kicks up dust.
5. Why does Patty lie to Sister Parker?
(a) She is angry.
(b) She does not want Sister Parker to blame Edna.
(c) She is afraid of getting in trouble.
(d) She does not want Sister Parker to blame Lousie.
6. What does Patty see from her hideout?
(a) Her father.
(b) A robbery.
(c) A man running.
(d) An argument between her parents.
7. Why does Patty decide to obey her mother in Chapter 6?
(a) Her father threatens to beat her.
(b) She hopes she will see Anton.
(c) Being alone at home is better than being shunned at the store.
(d) She does not want her sister to get dirty.
8. How could Patty get back to Memphis on her own?
(a) By car.
(b) By bike.
(c) By bus.
(d) By train.
9. How does Patty's mother treat her on a consistent basis?
(a) With firm kindness.
(b) With calculated manipulation.
(c) With a cold, violent temper.
(d) With fluctuating emotion.
10. Why does Patty have her hair cut in Chapter 7?
(a) To remove the damaged sections of hair.
(b) To look nice for Anton.
(c) To please her mother.
(d) To rebel against her parents.
11. How does Patty react to Mr. and Mrs. Bergen's argument in Chapter 7?
(a) She screams.
(b) She hides in her room.
(c) She vomits.
(d) She runs to her hideout.
12. Whom does Anton dislike?
(a) Edna Louise.
(d) His mother.
13. Who is Edna Louise?
(a) Patty's cousin.
(b) Sister Parker's daughter.
(c) A popular girl who goes to school with Patty.
(d) Patty's best friend.
14. How does Patty feel about being at her grandparents' house?
(a) She is nervous around her grandparents.
(b) She enjoys their company.
(c) She is bored.
(d) She is afraid of Grandpa Fried.
15. Who do Patty and Charlene visit in Chapter 9?
(a) Patty's grandmother.
(b) Edna Louise.
(d) The warden of the prison camp.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Grandma Fried like for Patty to do?
2. Why do the Bergens go to Memphis in Chapter 2?
3. What does Patty sell Anton Reiker in Chapter 3?
4. In Chapter 1, what facility has opened up in town?
5. Why does Patty visit Edna Louise?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)