|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Patty's hair in Chapter 6?
(a) She dyes it jet black.
(b) It becomes dry and frizzy from the bad perm.
(c) She dyes it blond.
(d) She has it cut off in a very short bob.
2. Why is Anton surprised that Patty is willing to help him?
(a) She is willing to risk her life for a stranger.
(b) She is an American.
(c) She is Jewish.
(d) She is a young girl.
3. Whom does Anton dislike?
(a) Edna Louise.
(d) His mother.
4. For what event did Patty purchase the monogrammed shirt?
(b) Father's day.
(c) Her father's birthday.
5. What had Patty given up the previous year in order to purchase her father's monogrammed shirt?
(b) New shoes.
(c) Purchasing books.
6. What are the Germans looking for in Chapter 3?
(b) Work boots.
7. In Chapter 8, what does the proclamation that Patty reads state?
(a) All citizens should be inside after 8 p.m.
(b) Spies will be put to death.
(c) Sugar and oil will be rationed.
(d) Spies will be arrested.
8. Why does Patty have her hair cut in Chapter 7?
(a) To please her mother.
(b) To rebel against her parents.
(c) To look nice for Anton.
(d) To remove the damaged sections of hair.
9. Why does Patty decide to obey her mother in Chapter 6?
(a) Her father threatens to beat her.
(b) She does not want her sister to get dirty.
(c) She hopes she will see Anton.
(d) Being alone at home is better than being shunned at the store.
10. In Chapter 6, why does Patty's mother tell her to leave the store?
(a) She hopes that a perm will help Patty socially.
(b) She does not want Patty in the store.
(c) She is angry with Patty.
(d) She wants Patty to enjoy her childhood.
11. Where does Patty's mother send her in Chapter 6?
(a) Back home.
(b) To the dumpster.
(c) To the prison.
(d) To a local beautician.
12. What does Edna Louise say about America?
(a) It should end the war.
(b) Patty is free to live where she wants.
(c) Everyone deserves a chance to live here.
(d) It is on God's side.
13. What does Sister Parker accuse Patty of doing?
(a) Smiling at one of the prisoners.
(b) Stealing from the store.
(c) Being a disobedient daughter.
(d) Lying to her mother.
14. Why doesn't Mr. Bergen like Grandpa Fried?
(a) Mr. Bergen is jealous of Grandpa Fried's success.
(b) Grandpa Fried is charging Mr. Bergen interest on a business loan.
(c) Grandpa Fried makes fun of Mr. Bergen's heritage.
(d) Grandpa Fried did not give Mr. Bergen a job in the family business.
15. How does Patty's mother treat her on a consistent basis?
(a) With a cold, violent temper.
(b) With firm kindness.
(c) With fluctuating emotion.
(d) With calculated manipulation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who questions Patty at the store in Chapter 9?
2. What does Sharon pretend to see on Mrs. Bergen?
3. In Chapter 7, who cuts Patty's hair?
4. How wealthy were Mr. Bergen's parents?
5. Who is Sister Parker?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)