|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Patty's grandmother worried about in Chapter 5?
(a) Her sisters in Luxembourg.
(c) The German prisoners of war.
(d) Patty's health.
2. In Chapter 8, what does Patty read about in the paper?
(a) A new youth program.
(b) The Nazi saboteurs.
(c) The death of one of the German prisoners.
(d) The escape of one of the German prisoners.
3. Why does Patty go to the store in Chapter 1?
(a) To buy sugar.
(b) To work in the stockroom.
(c) To tell her parents about the Germans.
(d) As a favor for Ruth.
4. Where is "Summer of My German Soldier" set?
5. How wealthy were Mr. Bergen's parents?
(a) They were extremely poor.
(b) They were extremely wealthy.
(c) They were wealthy, but donated much of their money to charity.
(d) They were middle class business owners.
6. Which character does Patty converse with in Chapter 3?
(a) The warden.
(b) The Staff Sergeant.
(c) A guard.
7. In Chapter 2, how does Patty wake her mother?
(a) By turning up the radio.
(b) With a kiss.
(c) With a tap on the shoulder.
(d) By shouting.
8. Who does Patty decide to find food for in Chapter 7?
9. What does Patty do the day after she visits her grandmother?
(a) Calls her grandmother on the phone.
(b) Rides her bike into town.
(c) Packs her bags for school.
(d) Writes her grandmother a thank-you note.
10. What advice does Ruth give Patty?
(a) Stay away from the new base.
(b) Stand up and stand strong.
(c) Do not talk to the prisoners.
(d) Be sweet and well-behaved.
11. Who interprets for the Germans in Chapter 3?
(a) The warden.
(b) Mrs. Bergen.
(c) A Staff Sergeant.
(d) Anton Reiker.
12. What is Anton's expression as he leaves the store in Chapter 3?
(a) He is frowning.
(b) He appears sad.
(c) He is grinning.
(d) He seems angry.
13. What had Patty given up the previous year in order to purchase her father's monogrammed shirt?
(b) Purchasing books.
(c) New shoes.
14. How does Patty shock Edna Louise?
(a) By admitting she hates her mother.
(b) By telling Edna Louise that she is going to run away.
(c) By telling her she like Anton.
(d) By confessing her crime.
15. What information relieves Patty at the end of Chapter 9?
(a) Her grandfather would like Patty to come work in his shop.
(b) Her mother did not know about her trip.
(c) Her father is going out of town for three weeks.
(d) The warden does not know what happened to Anton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the restaurant located where Patty and her grandmother have lunch?
2. When is "Summer of My German Soldier" set?
3. Why is Patty drawn towards Anton?
4. What happens at dinner in Chapter 7?
5. Why doesn't Patty want her father to catch her praying?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)