|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Patty's hair in Chapter 6?
(a) She dyes it blond.
(b) It becomes dry and frizzy from the bad perm.
(c) She has it cut off in a very short bob.
(d) She dyes it jet black.
2. What has Mr. Bergen never shown Grandpa Fried?
(b) His store.
(d) His family photos.
3. What excuse does Patty give for laughing with Anton?
(a) She was laughing at his poor knowledge of English.
(b) Anton told her a funny story.
(c) She was laughing because she was nervous.
(d) Anton was making funny faces at the guard.
4. Why is Anton surprised that Patty is willing to help him?
(a) She is a young girl.
(b) She is an American.
(c) She is Jewish.
(d) She is willing to risk her life for a stranger.
5. Why doesn't Mr. Bergen like Grandpa Fried?
(a) Grandpa Fried did not give Mr. Bergen a job in the family business.
(b) Mr. Bergen is jealous of Grandpa Fried's success.
(c) Grandpa Fried makes fun of Mr. Bergen's heritage.
(d) Grandpa Fried is charging Mr. Bergen interest on a business loan.
6. Why can't Patty see her grandmother the week after her visit in Chapter 5?
(a) Her grandmother is going on vacation.
(b) Her grandmother is hosting a bridge party that afternoon.
(c) Patty does not have money for another ticket.
(d) Patty must go back to school.
7. How does Patty's mother treat her on a consistent basis?
(a) With firm kindness.
(b) With a cold, violent temper.
(c) With fluctuating emotion.
(d) With calculated manipulation.
8. How old is Anton?
(a) Over thirty.
(b) A least twenty.
(c) No one knows except Anton.
9. Who is Sharon?
(a) Patty's black nanny.
(b) Patty's sister.
(c) Patty's hispanic nanny.
(d) Patty's schoolmate.
10. What does Edna Louise say about America?
(a) Everyone deserves a chance to live here.
(b) It is on God's side.
(c) Patty is free to live where she wants.
(d) It should end the war.
11. In Chapter 9, what topic is everyone is town discussing?
(a) Anton's escape.
(b) The landing at Normandy.
(c) The bombing of Pearl Harbor.
(d) The new proclamation.
12. Why does Patty visit Edna Louise?
(a) To find answers.
(b) She wants to talk about Anton.
(c) She wants to warn Edna about Sister Parker.
(d) To confess her crime.
13. What information relieves Patty at the end of Chapter 9?
(a) Her grandfather would like Patty to come work in his shop.
(b) Her mother did not know about her trip.
(c) The warden does not know what happened to Anton.
(d) Her father is going out of town for three weeks.
14. How could Patty get back to Memphis on her own?
(a) By car.
(b) By bike.
(c) By train.
(d) By bus.
15. How wealthy were Mr. Bergen's parents?
(a) They were wealthy, but donated much of their money to charity.
(b) They were extremely poor.
(c) They were middle class business owners.
(d) They were extremely wealthy.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, how does Patty wake her mother?
2. Where does Patty go late at night in Chapter 7?
3. Why does Patty go to the store in Chapter 1?
4. Why are the horizontal stair boards removed from the stairs leading to the hideout?
5. How does Patty's father react to her gift?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)