• A camp for German prisoners of war has just opened in Jenkinsville, Arkansas during World War II.
• Twelve-year-old Patty Bergen watches guards unload German prisoners from a train.
• Patty waves at one prisoner, but is stopped by a local woman.
• The prisoners are taken to the prison camp.
• Patty tells Ruth, her black housekeeper, about the prisoners.
• Ruth reminds Patty to be sweet and well-behaved to please her parents.
• Patty gets her six-year-old sister, Sharon, from the sandbox and the girls have lunch.
• Patty fears her father will punish her if he catches her saying Christian prayers.
• After lunch, Patty goes to the store and is alternately ignored and insulted by her parents.
• A customer complains about Ruth.
• On the way home, Patty wonders why the family who once owned the Chinese grocery store was harassed since they weren't Japanese.
• The Bergens go to Memphis to...
This section contains 1,555 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)