|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What became of Khanbalik, also known as Dadu?
2. How did Ogodei combat the bulkiness of bullion and coinage?
3. When did Sokhokhtani die?
4. What did the Mongols believe Friar Carpini brought to them?
5. What was the shared name of the three princes who commanded the Christian cities of the plain in 1223?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Nicolaus of Cusa?
2. How did Mongke Khan die?
3. What happened to Professor Lkhagvasuren's teacher?
4. What was superior about the Chinese paper over the parchment made by Europeans?
5. Why did the clerics suppose the Mongols were going to ride on Cologne? What happened in 1164 that made them think that way?
6. What effect did the Mongols have on the literary arts in China?
7. For most of the twentieth century, who maintained Mongolia?
8. Where did the research team of Jack Weatherford finish their search? What is symbolic about it?
9. What was in the tea Khubilai drank the morning after a long night of celebration, and what did it do?
10. What was the first book written in English, and what did it say about Genghis Khan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Genghis Khan like as a child? Trace his major accomplishments as a young man, and how he developed into a leader. Who was Genghis Khan when he died?
Essay Topic 2
What was the Silk Road? Who controlled the Silk Road before Genghis Khan, and what was its condition? How did Genghis Khan finally control the Silk Road? What did he do to it? Why is the Silk Road so important?
Essay Topic 3
What was the nation-state that Genghis Khan created? What was the "Great Law?" What made up the "Great Law?" How did Genghis Khan organize his societies? What important social, cultural, and economic advances did Genghis Khan make in his empire?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)