|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What land did Guyuk wish to control and viewed as most important?
2. How did Ogodei influence merchants to seek him out?
3. How many tons of goods did the Mongols move in 1329?
4. By what year did the Mongol method of currency become worthless in China?
5. Who was ruler of the central steppe, during Khubilai's reign?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did the research team of Jack Weatherford finish their search? What is symbolic about it?
2. By the end of chapter seven, the Mongol empire was divided into four segments. What were they and who was in charge?
3. Who was Bayan?
4. What geographically hindered the Mongols from full victory in Europe?
5. For most of the twentieth century, who maintained Mongolia?
6. What three inventions did Francis Bacon recognize as the foundation of modern world? Why is this important?
7. What happened on February 14, 1349?
8. Why did the Golden Family back Arik Boke instead of Khubilai?
9. What effect did the Mongols have on the literary arts in China?
10. What do "generous scholars" attribute to Khubilai's frequent delays during the war with the Sung?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What effects did the Mongol empire have on Europe? What did the Mongol empire provide to Europe that nobody had done before? What resulted in Europe because of the Mongol presence? What impressions of the Mongol empire can be seen in Europe today?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways do you see the impact of the Mongols, the Mongol Empire, Genghis Khan and Khubilai Khan in the world today? How can you identify those aspects? How can we attribute these bits of the modern world to the Mongols? Be sure to use specific examples of what comes from the Mongols, and why.
Essay Topic 3
What was the Silk Road? Who controlled the Silk Road before Genghis Khan, and what was its condition? How did Genghis Khan finally control the Silk Road? What did he do to it? Why is the Silk Road so important?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)