|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Sorkhokhtani?
2. By 1235, what was the most notable thing Ogodei had accomplished?
3. Who did Khubilai assign the task of creating a single alphabet that could be used to write all the languages in the world?
4. Where was the first khuriltai called after Guyuk died?
5. What type of fiber did Khubilai wish to promote by the creation of an aptly named Bureau in 1289?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Professor Lkhagvasuren's teacher?
2. How did Mongke Khan die?
3. What was in the tea Khubilai drank the morning after a long night of celebration, and what did it do?
4. What three inventions did Francis Bacon recognize as the foundation of modern world? Why is this important?
5. What was superior about the Chinese paper over the parchment made by Europeans?
6. How did the Mongols adapt the Chinese printing practices?
7. What happened to the Mongol forces after they severely harmed the samurai warriors?
8. After the Mongols destroyed the Hungarian army, they were able to probe Vienna. Though scared, some Hapsburg troops captured a Mongol officer. What was strange about him?
9. Who was Nicolaus of Cusa?
10. Who was Bayan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who were Genghis Khan's four sons? What were there personalities? What role did each play in the making of history? Be specific and use details from the book to paint your family portrait.
Essay Topic 2
How did the Mongol empire effect agriculture in their world? Do those advances or changes have any lasting effect in the modern world? What did the Mongols do to agriculture to change it? What other benefits resulted from those changes? What agriculturally-related laws and rules did the Mongols contribute?
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the Mongolian battle tactics used in their campaigns and raids. Be sure do distinguish who was fighting, who was leading, and where the forces were engaged in battle. To what end were these battle tactics successful? To what end were they unsuccessful? How did Genghis Khan and subsequently other members of the family learn these battle tactics. Who, if any, attempted to use Mongolian tactics later in history? What were their successes and failures?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)