|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were the Kipchak?
2. Who was Columbus looking for when he sailed in 1492?
3. Who penned the first known encyclopedia of natural history, in France?
4. Who wrote Decameron?
5. What was the most cost-effective way for Khubilai to transport goods during his rule?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Golden Family back Arik Boke instead of Khubilai?
2. Where did the research team of Jack Weatherford finish their search? What is symbolic about it?
3. By the end of chapter seven, the Mongol empire was divided into four segments. What were they and who was in charge?
4. What happened on February 14, 1349?
5. How did the Mongols keep numerical track of everything they obtained?
6. Why and how did the Mongols promote education in China?
7. For most of the twentieth century, who maintained Mongolia?
8. After the Mongols destroyed the Hungarian army, they were able to probe Vienna. Though scared, some Hapsburg troops captured a Mongol officer. What was strange about him?
9. What was special about the mare's milk for Khubilai and his court?
10. How did Matthew Paris link the Mongols to the Jewish people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What effects did the Mongol empire have on Europe? What did the Mongol empire provide to Europe that nobody had done before? What resulted in Europe because of the Mongol presence? What impressions of the Mongol empire can be seen in Europe today?
Essay Topic 2
As great of a man as Genghis Khan was, his image and reputation preceded him to many fronts, and his reputation continues to haunt him even after his passing. Many cultures have false impressions of Genghis Khan. Why? What about these stereotypes are false? What harmful words or ideas have sprung from the misinterpretation of the Mongol spirit?
Essay Topic 3
What was the role of women in the Mongol empire? How did it change from the early days to later, as the empire expanded? How were women treated? In your response, please cite notable women in the Mongol empire, highlighting their contributions to the advancement of the Mongols. Finally, discuss what happened to some of the more notable women of the Mongol empire. Were any honored, and why? Who was punished, why were they persecuted, and how were they tortured?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)