|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many letters were in the alphabetic system that could write all the languages in the world?
2. What animal did the plague bacterium live in?
3. As the Mongols' position in power began to crumble, mostly due to the lack of trade, what religion was favored by the Mongols?
4. How many people did Mongke execute within Ogodei's lineage?
5. How far did the envoy travel to see King Edward the I of England?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do "generous scholars" attribute to Khubilai's frequent delays during the war with the Sung?
2. Why did the Golden Family back Arik Boke instead of Khubilai?
3. What happened to Arik Boke that caused the end of his life?
4. How did Mongke Khan die?
5. Who was Bayan?
6. What was superior about the Chinese paper over the parchment made by Europeans?
7. What was the first book written in English, and what did it say about Genghis Khan?
8. What geographically hindered the Mongols from full victory in Europe?
9. Where did the research team of Jack Weatherford finish their search? What is symbolic about it?
10. What effect did the Mongols have on the literary arts in China?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Genghis Khan like as a child? Trace his major accomplishments as a young man, and how he developed into a leader. Who was Genghis Khan when he died?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways do you see the impact of the Mongols, the Mongol Empire, Genghis Khan and Khubilai Khan in the world today? How can you identify those aspects? How can we attribute these bits of the modern world to the Mongols? Be sure to use specific examples of what comes from the Mongols, and why.
Essay Topic 3
What was the bubonic plague? What effect did it have on the Mongol empire? Explore this in depth, using support from the book to detail the many ways in which the bubonic plague effected the Mongol empire.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)