|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the Mongols traditionally begin and measure construction?
2. How did Ogodei combat the bulkiness of bullion and coinage?
3. Who was ruler of the central steppe, during Khubilai's reign?
4. What was Karakorum?
5. What type of fiber did Khubilai wish to promote by the creation of an aptly named Bureau in 1289?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the first book written in English, and what did it say about Genghis Khan?
2. How did the Soviets adapt Genghis Khan's battle tactics in World War II?
3. What was in the tea Khubilai drank the morning after a long night of celebration, and what did it do?
4. What effect did the Mongols have on the literary arts in China?
5. What a blitzkrieg?
6. After the Mongols destroyed the Hungarian army, they were able to probe Vienna. Though scared, some Hapsburg troops captured a Mongol officer. What was strange about him?
7. How did the Mongols keep numerical track of everything they obtained?
8. What was special about the mare's milk for Khubilai and his court?
9. What do "generous scholars" attribute to Khubilai's frequent delays during the war with the Sung?
10. For most of the twentieth century, who maintained Mongolia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the spirituality of Genghis Khan. What religion did he practice? What customs or traditions distinguishes that religion? Which are important to Genghis Khan, and why? How was religion incorporated into the warrior life? How was it possible for Genghis Khan and the Mongols to exercise religious tolerance?
Essay Topic 2
As great of a man as Genghis Khan was, his image and reputation preceded him to many fronts, and his reputation continues to haunt him even after his passing. Many cultures have false impressions of Genghis Khan. Why? What about these stereotypes are false? What harmful words or ideas have sprung from the misinterpretation of the Mongol spirit?
Essay Topic 3
What was the bubonic plague? What effect did it have on the Mongol empire? Explore this in depth, using support from the book to detail the many ways in which the bubonic plague effected the Mongol empire.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)