|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By 1235, what was the most notable thing Ogodei had accomplished?
2. What happened if a Mongol, under Khubilai, declared bankruptcy more than two times?
3. In what way did the Mongols change the rank of a merchant?
4. Who was Shiremun?
5. How did Toregene die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Mongols adapt the Chinese printing practices?
2. What do "generous scholars" attribute to Khubilai's frequent delays during the war with the Sung?
3. What happened to the slaves sold to the Italians by the Mongols? Where did they come from and what would they do in a short twenty years?
4. For most of the twentieth century, who maintained Mongolia?
5. Why and how did the Mongols promote education in China?
6. What was the first book written in English, and what did it say about Genghis Khan?
7. What happened to Arik Boke that caused the end of his life?
8. How did Matthew Paris link the Mongols to the Jewish people?
9. What was superior about the Chinese paper over the parchment made by Europeans?
10. How did the people of the city-states of Russia interpret the victory of the Mongols?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the Mongolian battle tactics used in their campaigns and raids. Be sure do distinguish who was fighting, who was leading, and where the forces were engaged in battle. To what end were these battle tactics successful? To what end were they unsuccessful? How did Genghis Khan and subsequently other members of the family learn these battle tactics. Who, if any, attempted to use Mongolian tactics later in history? What were their successes and failures?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the spirituality of Genghis Khan. What religion did he practice? What customs or traditions distinguishes that religion? Which are important to Genghis Khan, and why? How was religion incorporated into the warrior life? How was it possible for Genghis Khan and the Mongols to exercise religious tolerance?
Essay Topic 3
Who was Ong Khan? What was his relationship with Genghis Khan? Describe how the two men came to know each other, and the relationship that formed. Highlight all the important historical events between the two men, and what happened at the end of Ong Khan's life.
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)