|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Sorkhokhtani?
2. What did Ogodei make the centerpiece of the palace?
3. What type of fiber did Khubilai wish to promote by the creation of an aptly named Bureau in 1289?
4. In an effort to improve the lives of farmers and their crops, Khubilai created what office in 1261?
5. How many members of the Golden Family occupied the throne between the years of 1328 and 1332?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect did the Mongols have on the literary arts in China?
2. How did Matthew Paris link the Mongols to the Jewish people?
3. What happened to the slaves sold to the Italians by the Mongols? Where did they come from and what would they do in a short twenty years?
4. By the end of chapter seven, the Mongol empire was divided into four segments. What were they and who was in charge?
5. What was special about the mare's milk for Khubilai and his court?
6. What three inventions did Francis Bacon recognize as the foundation of modern world? Why is this important?
7. What was superior about the Chinese paper over the parchment made by Europeans?
8. How did the Mongols adapt the Chinese printing practices?
9. What happened to Arik Boke that caused the end of his life?
10. How did Mongke Khan die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the role of women in the Mongol empire? How did it change from the early days to later, as the empire expanded? How were women treated? In your response, please cite notable women in the Mongol empire, highlighting their contributions to the advancement of the Mongols. Finally, discuss what happened to some of the more notable women of the Mongol empire. Were any honored, and why? Who was punished, why were they persecuted, and how were they tortured?
Essay Topic 2
What was the role of the Mongol empire in China? What did Genghis Khan and Khubilai Khan do for China that nobody had done before? What results did this produce for China? What effects were good, which were bad, and why? What lasting impressions of the Mongol empire are seen today? What aspects of the Mongol invasion were wiped from Chinese memory, and why? What is the general feeling towards Genghis Khan in China today?
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the Mongolian battle tactics used in their campaigns and raids. Be sure do distinguish who was fighting, who was leading, and where the forces were engaged in battle. To what end were these battle tactics successful? To what end were they unsuccessful? How did Genghis Khan and subsequently other members of the family learn these battle tactics. Who, if any, attempted to use Mongolian tactics later in history? What were their successes and failures?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)