|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Temujin decide to break with Jamuka's clan in 1181?
2. Genghis Khan attempted to repair the breech between Jochi and Chagahatai by assigning them to a campaign against which city?
3. Which of the following was not carried by every soldier in the Mongol army?
4. What is naadam?
5. When was Borte's first son born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened as soon as the Mongols withdrew from the newly conquered Jurched territory?
2. What was the Great Law of Genghis Khan?
3. What was troublesome about Borte's first pregnancy?
4. What happened in the winter of 1226 - 1227 when Genghis Khan stopped on his way across the Gobi to hunt wild horses?
5. How did Genghis Khan's men prepare for the great hunting celebration during the winter of 1222 - 1223? How did they gather the animals together?
6. In a letter from Genghis Khan to a Taoist monk in China, what was Genghis Khan's opinion of himself near the end of his life show?
7. What is group responsibility and group guilt?
8. How did Jack Weatherford begin his research?
9. Who dressed Genghis Khan after he passed, and how was his funeral handled?
10. What was Genghis Khan's stance on adultery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the nation-state that Genghis Khan created? What was the "Great Law?" What made up the "Great Law?" How did Genghis Khan organize his societies? What important social, cultural, and economic advances did Genghis Khan make in his empire?
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the Mongolian battle tactics used in their campaigns and raids. Be sure do distinguish who was fighting, who was leading, and where the forces were engaged in battle. To what end were these battle tactics successful? To what end were they unsuccessful? How did Genghis Khan and subsequently other members of the family learn these battle tactics. Who, if any, attempted to use Mongolian tactics later in history? What were their successes and failures?
Essay Topic 3
Who was Jamuka? Why is Jamuka so important to Genghis Khan? Trace the major events and occurrences between the two men, and be sure to cite in what ways they developed as adults. What happened to Jamuka?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)