|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Realizing he made a mistake in his refusal of Temujin, Ong Khan decided to do what?
2. What was the largest kingdom in China in the thirteenth century?
3. What year did Genghis Khan die?
4. What did Genghis Khan do when he was asked to submit to the Jurched and the new Golden Khan?
5. Which profession had to pay taxes under Genghis Khan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What made Temujin turn to Mount Burkhan Khaldun in prayer?
2. How did Jack Weatherford begin his research?
3. Differentiate between Genghis Khan's white banner and black banner. What did each represent, and what happened to each?
4. What was the result of Temujin's raid with Ong Khan against the Tartars?
5. What was the most distinctive thing about Genghis Khan's Great Law, particularly in contrast with western European monarchs?
6. What happened as soon as the Mongols withdrew from the newly conquered Jurched territory?
7. What conditions did the research team endure during their research of Genghis Khan?
8. What is "The Secret History of the Mongols," and where was it finally found?
9. In a letter from Genghis Khan to a Taoist monk in China, what was Genghis Khan's opinion of himself near the end of his life show?
10. What revenge tactic did Jmauka employ that severely harmed his image after one of Tejumin's followers murdered one of Jamuka's kinsmen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who were Genghis Khan's four sons? What were there personalities? What role did each play in the making of history? Be specific and use details from the book to paint your family portrait.
Essay Topic 2
What was the nation-state that Genghis Khan created? What was the "Great Law?" What made up the "Great Law?" How did Genghis Khan organize his societies? What important social, cultural, and economic advances did Genghis Khan make in his empire?
Essay Topic 3
What was the role of the Mongol empire in China? What did Genghis Khan and Khubilai Khan do for China that nobody had done before? What results did this produce for China? What effects were good, which were bad, and why? What lasting impressions of the Mongol empire are seen today? What aspects of the Mongol invasion were wiped from Chinese memory, and why? What is the general feeling towards Genghis Khan in China today?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)