|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a khuriltai?
2. How did Temujin and his nineteen men survive starvation on the muddy Lake Balujna?
3. Who was one of the most valuable resources to come of the Khitan people?
4. Under the kinship hierarchy, what is each linage known by?
5. How did the Mongol army kill, during battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Genghis Khan quickly depopulate an area, and for what strategic purpose?
2. Who was Botohui-tarhun?
3. What happened in the winter of 1226 - 1227 when Genghis Khan stopped on his way across the Gobi to hunt wild horses?
4. How did the governor of Khwarizm receive Genghis Khan's caravan? How did the sultan of Khwarizm respond?
5. What made Temujin turn to Mount Burkhan Khaldun in prayer?
6. How did the people of Kashgar feel about the Mongols?
7. What is "The Secret History of the Mongols," and where was it finally found?
8. What did Jamuka offer Temujin in death?
9. Differentiate between Genghis Khan's white banner and black banner. What did each represent, and what happened to each?
10. What was in the caravan Genghis Khan sent to the sultan of Khwarizm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the role of women in the Mongol empire? How did it change from the early days to later, as the empire expanded? How were women treated? In your response, please cite notable women in the Mongol empire, highlighting their contributions to the advancement of the Mongols. Finally, discuss what happened to some of the more notable women of the Mongol empire. Were any honored, and why? Who was punished, why were they persecuted, and how were they tortured?
Essay Topic 2
Who were Genghis Khan's four sons? What were there personalities? What role did each play in the making of history? Be specific and use details from the book to paint your family portrait.
Essay Topic 3
Who was Khubilai Khan? What did he contribute to the making of history? What did he do for the Mongol empire that Genghis Khan did not, or could not? What important advances were made during his reign as Khan?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)