|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does it mean for a Mongol to remove his sash or belt?
2. When was Borte's first son born?
3. What kind of education did Genghis Khan receive?
4. How did Temujin trick the Naiman to believe he had more troops than "stars in the sky?"
5. When did Borte die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who dressed Genghis Khan after he passed, and how was his funeral handled?
2. What do "generous scholars" attribute to Khubilai's frequent delays during the war with the Sung?
3. Differentiate between Genghis Khan's white banner and black banner. What did each represent, and what happened to each?
4. How did the people of Kashgar feel about the Mongols?
5. What happened on February 14, 1349?
6. By the end of chapter seven, the Mongol empire was divided into four segments. What were they and who was in charge?
7. After the Mongols destroyed the Hungarian army, they were able to probe Vienna. Though scared, some Hapsburg troops captured a Mongol officer. What was strange about him?
8. What was the most distinctive thing about Genghis Khan's Great Law, particularly in contrast with western European monarchs?
9. How did Genghis Khan's men prepare for the great hunting celebration during the winter of 1222 - 1223? How did they gather the animals together?
10. How did the Mongols keep numerical track of everything they obtained?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was happening in the Mongol Empire just before Genghis Khan died? How did Genghis Khan die? How did Genghis Khan try to handle his succession? What actually happened after Genghis Khan passed?
Essay Topic 2
What was the role of the Mongol empire in China? What did Genghis Khan and Khubilai Khan do for China that nobody had done before? What results did this produce for China? What effects were good, which were bad, and why? What lasting impressions of the Mongol empire are seen today? What aspects of the Mongol invasion were wiped from Chinese memory, and why? What is the general feeling towards Genghis Khan in China today?
Essay Topic 3
What was the bubonic plague? What effect did it have on the Mongol empire? Explore this in depth, using support from the book to detail the many ways in which the bubonic plague effected the Mongol empire.
This section contains 1,844 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)