|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Temujin descended from?
2. How were orders transmitted through the ranks?
3. What is a khuriltai?
4. When was the final battle for control over Mongolia?
5. What does it mean for a Mongol to remove his sash or belt?
Short Essay Questions
1. In a letter from Genghis Khan to a Taoist monk in China, what was Genghis Khan's opinion of himself near the end of his life show?
2. What was the result of Temujin's raid with Ong Khan against the Tartars?
3. How did Genghis Khan quickly depopulate an area, and for what strategic purpose?
4. What revenge tactic did Jmauka employ that severely harmed his image after one of Tejumin's followers murdered one of Jamuka's kinsmen?
5. What was troublesome about Borte's first pregnancy?
6. How did Ong Khan respond to Temujin's first khuriltai?
7. How did the governor of Khwarizm receive Genghis Khan's caravan? How did the sultan of Khwarizm respond?
8. How did Jack Weatherford begin his research?
9. How did Genghis Khan's men prepare for the great hunting celebration during the winter of 1222 - 1223? How did they gather the animals together?
10. What was the Great Law of Genghis Khan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the Silk Road? Who controlled the Silk Road before Genghis Khan, and what was its condition? How did Genghis Khan finally control the Silk Road? What did he do to it? Why is the Silk Road so important?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the culture in which Genghis Khan was born. What was the steppe? What was steppe life like? What was it like to be a hunter, versus a herder? What were some of the major dangers of steppe life?
Essay Topic 3
What was the role of the Mongol empire in China? What did Genghis Khan and Khubilai Khan do for China that nobody had done before? What results did this produce for China? What effects were good, which were bad, and why? What lasting impressions of the Mongol empire are seen today? What aspects of the Mongol invasion were wiped from Chinese memory, and why? What is the general feeling towards Genghis Khan in China today?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)