|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a khuriltai?
2. In the year 1203, Temujin wished to resolve his rivalry with Jamuka and clarify his position with Ong Khan by what means?
3. After their split in 1181, what year did Temujin decide he wanted the title of khan?
4. Why did Temujin decide to break with Jamuka's clan in 1181?
5. Who fashioned the borders of Korea and India?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jamuka offer Temujin in death?
2. What happened in the winter of 1226 - 1227 when Genghis Khan stopped on his way across the Gobi to hunt wild horses?
3. How did Ong Khan respond to Temujin's first khuriltai?
4. Describe the Ikh Khorig.
5. What happened as soon as the Mongols withdrew from the newly conquered Jurched territory?
6. How did the people of Kashgar feel about the Mongols?
7. What was the Baljuna Covenant?
8. What is "The Secret History of the Mongols," and where was it finally found?
9. What made Temujin turn to Mount Burkhan Khaldun in prayer?
10. How did Genghis Khan quickly depopulate an area, and for what strategic purpose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the role of women in the Mongol empire? How did it change from the early days to later, as the empire expanded? How were women treated? In your response, please cite notable women in the Mongol empire, highlighting their contributions to the advancement of the Mongols. Finally, discuss what happened to some of the more notable women of the Mongol empire. Were any honored, and why? Who was punished, why were they persecuted, and how were they tortured?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the culture in which Genghis Khan was born. What was the steppe? What was steppe life like? What was it like to be a hunter, versus a herder? What were some of the major dangers of steppe life?
Essay Topic 3
How did Genghis Khan build his army? What methods and tactics did he use that distinguished him from other khans? How did he learn those things? How did Genghis Khan organize his army? What benefits did he glean from his organizational structure? How did he command so many people? How did they communicate? How did Genghis Khan win the loyalty of so many people? Describe Genghis Khan's army in any and all of these terms, and more as you see fit.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)