|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another name for a Spirit Banner?
2. Who influenced Ong Khan's decision in 1203 to deny Temujin?
3. What were Mongol soldiers forbidden to speak about?
4. What does it mean for a Mongol to remove his sash or belt?
5. What does the wind in the horsehair of a Spirit Banner inspire?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Guchlug?
2. What are the Five Snouts?
3. What is group responsibility and group guilt?
4. What was troublesome about Borte's first pregnancy?
5. Who was Botohui-tarhun?
6. What happened in the winter of 1226 - 1227 when Genghis Khan stopped on his way across the Gobi to hunt wild horses?
7. In a letter from Genghis Khan to a Taoist monk in China, what was Genghis Khan's opinion of himself near the end of his life show?
8. How did Ong Khan respond to Temujin's first khuriltai?
9. What was the result of Temujin's raid with Ong Khan against the Tartars?
10. How did the governor of Khwarizm receive Genghis Khan's caravan? How did the sultan of Khwarizm respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the Silk Road? Who controlled the Silk Road before Genghis Khan, and what was its condition? How did Genghis Khan finally control the Silk Road? What did he do to it? Why is the Silk Road so important?
Essay Topic 2
What was the nation-state that Genghis Khan created? What was the "Great Law?" What made up the "Great Law?" How did Genghis Khan organize his societies? What important social, cultural, and economic advances did Genghis Khan make in his empire?
Essay Topic 3
What was the bubonic plague? What effect did it have on the Mongol empire? Explore this in depth, using support from the book to detail the many ways in which the bubonic plague effected the Mongol empire.
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)