|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the most cost-effective way for Khubilai to transport goods during his rule?
(a) By caravan.
(b) By water.
(c) By horse.
(d) By air.
2. Who penned the first known encyclopedia of natural history, in France?
(a) Jean-Baptiste Lamarck.
(b) Andrea Cesalpino.
(c) Comte de Buffon.
(d) Carolus Linnaeus.
3. What did Ogodei make the centerpiece of the palace?
(a) A giant chess-set.
(b) A series of lakes for waterfowl.
(c) His throne.
(d) A series of gold and silver wine vats.
4. How did Ogodei influence merchants to seek him out?
(a) Ogodei adopted many merchants into his family.
(b) Ogodei often paid twice as much as the asking price.
(c) Ogodei would punish the families of the merchants who didn't seek him out.
(d) Ogodei would kill merchants who didn't seek him out.
5. What happened to the consensual councils in China, after the Mongols were no longer in power?
(a) They disappeared.
(b) The Chineese kept having daily meetings, but a councilor made all the decisions.
(c) They stayed exactly the same.
(d) The Chinese changed the daily meetings, but kept consensus voting.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far did the envoy travel to see King Edward the I of England?
2. What percentage of the people living in the Hopei Province died in 1331?
3. How many letters were in the alphabetic system that could write all the languages in the world?
4. In 1263, Khubilai began the construction of what important building?
5. How many priests did Khubilai request the Marco brothers send to the Mongol courts?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why and how did the Mongols promote education in China?
2. What happened to Arik Boke that caused the end of his life?
3. What three inventions did Francis Bacon recognize as the foundation of modern world? Why is this important?
4. What was superior about the Chinese paper over the parchment made by Europeans?
5. How did the Mongols adapt the Chinese printing practices?
6. How did Matthew Paris link the Mongols to the Jewish people?
7. How did Mongke Khan die?
8. How did the Mongols keep numerical track of everything they obtained?
9. Who was Bayan?
10. How did the people of the city-states of Russia interpret the victory of the Mongols?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)