|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What river's origin did Khubilai launch an expedition to discover in 1281?
(a) The Aras River.
(b) The Indus River.
(c) The Euphrates River.
(d) The Yellow River.
2. What became of Khanbalik, also known as Dadu?
(a) It is now known as Beijing.
(b) It is now known as Shanghai
(c) It is now known as Seoul.
(d) It was destroyed in 1357.
3. What percentage of the people living in the Hopei Province died in 1331?
4. What is airak?
(a) Fermented mare's milk.
(b) Mongolian perperation for cooking sheep.
(c) The celebration dance performned by Sorkhokhtani.
(d) The special relationship between two Khan sons.
5. When did Sokhokhtani die?
(a) February 1252.
(b) October 1251.
(c) January 1253.
(d) March 1250.
6. What was Kerchagan?
(a) The name of the plan to overthrow Ogodei.
(b) Ogodei's store of wine.
(c) The name of Ogodei's horse.
(d) Ogodei's private residence for his family.
7. What was Karakorum?
(a) The wine ritual used to innagurate Ogodei.
(b) The celebration named for Ogodei's succession.
(c) The capital city established by Ogodei.
(d) The traditional garb worn by Ogodei to show his station.
8. What did the reliance on imported goods reflect in feudal Europe?
(a) A failure at home.
(b) Total normalcy.
(c) Exotic tastes.
(d) Early shopoholoicism.
9. "It is reported, but impossible to verify, that no ____ was censored during Khubilai's reign?"
(b) Work of art.
10. Which pope issued a papal bull in 1348, ordering the prosecution of the Jews to halt?
(a) Pope Clement III.
(b) Pope Clement VI.
(c) Pope Pius VII.
(d) Pope Pius III.
11. Who was Shiremun?
(a) Ogodei's favorite son.
(b) Ogodei's biggest critic.
(c) Ogodei's biggest rival.
(d) Ogodei's favorite grandson.
12. As the Mongols' position in power began to crumble, mostly due to the lack of trade, what religion was favored by the Mongols?
13. When did the Mongol forces, with the help of Bayan, overtake the Sung capital of Hangzhou?
14. Out of approximately 500 plays from the Yuan dynasty, how many survive today?
15. Who wrote Decameron?
(a) Leon Battista Alberti.
(b) Giovanni Boccaccio.
(c) Poggio Bracciolini.
(d) Cardinal Basilios Bessarion.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Marco Polo describe the money in circulation under Khubilai?
2. Who was ruler of the central steppe, during Khubilai's reign?
3. Where was the first khuriltai called after Guyuk died?
4. Who was the highest-ranking European delegate at Toregene's gathering in 1246?
5. Whom did the Toregene want to push forward as the next Great Khan?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)