|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which faith did Ogodei fail to build a house for?
2. Who was Sorkhokhtani?
(a) The widow of Chaghatai and ruler of Asia and Turkestan.
(b) The widow of Tolui and ruler of northern China and eastern Mongolia.
(c) The ruler of Persia.
(d) The ruler of Mongolia.
3. "It is reported, but impossible to verify, that no ____ was censored during Khubilai's reign?"
(d) Work of art.
4. In 1263, Khubilai began the construction of what important building?
(a) A public hospital for the Chinese.
(b) An ancestral temple for his family.
(c) A library to promote literacy.
(d) A courthouse to uphold Chinese law.
5. What was Kerchagan?
(a) The name of Ogodei's horse.
(b) The name of the plan to overthrow Ogodei.
(c) Ogodei's store of wine.
(d) Ogodei's private residence for his family.
6. When did the Mongol forces, with the help of Bayan, overtake the Sung capital of Hangzhou?
7. How many flights of stairs led to Ogodei's throne?
8. What percentage of the people living in the Hopei Province died in 1331?
9. Who penned the first known encyclopedia of natural history, in France?
(a) Jean-Baptiste Lamarck.
(b) Carolus Linnaeus.
(c) Andrea Cesalpino.
(d) Comte de Buffon.
10. How many priests did Khubilai request the Marco brothers send to the Mongol courts?
11. What is a paiza?
(a) A brand of drink popular with Khubilai.
(b) An article of clothing incorporated from the Chinese culture.
(c) The type of saddle merchants used for their mounts.
(d) A tablet worn on a chain that identified the level of a traveler.
12. To whom did Ogodei convey most of his administrative power?
13. How did Jebe and Subodei lead the raid into Georgia?
(a) The Arrow Waterfall strategy.
(b) The Dog Fight strategy.
(c) The Bursting Star strategy.
(d) The Flaming Rain strategy.
14. What did the Mongols believe Friar Carpini brought to them?
(a) Submission from the Pope.
(b) Goods from Europe.
(c) A message of war.
(d) Information on Christianity and Jesus.
15. In an effort to improve the lives of farmers and their crops, Khubilai created what office in 1261?
(a) The Council for the Fertilization of Peat.
(b) The Office for the Advancement of Farming.
(c) The Office for the Stimulation of Agriculture.
(d) The Soil and Seed Foundation.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the Mongols' position in power began to crumble, mostly due to the lack of trade, what religion was favored by the Mongols?
2. What did the reliance on imported goods reflect in feudal Europe?
3. What year was Ogodei installed?
4. What name did the family of Genghis Khan take around the summer of 1229?
5. What type of fiber did Khubilai wish to promote by the creation of an aptly named Bureau in 1289?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)