|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ogodei make the centerpiece of the palace?
(a) A series of gold and silver wine vats.
(b) His throne.
(c) A giant chess-set.
(d) A series of lakes for waterfowl.
2. The Ming briefly moved the capital city of China to what place?
3. What land did Subodei wish to invade, when he was about sixty?
4. When did Sokhokhtani die?
(a) January 1253.
(b) March 1250.
(c) February 1252.
(d) October 1251.
5. Where did Hulegu rule during Khubilai's reign?
(a) Modern-day Nepal.
(b) Modern-day Kyrgystan.
6. What did the Mongol women do while the men were on the battlefield?
(a) Managed the empire.
(b) Traveled with the men.
(c) Drank with Ogodei.
(d) Kept the home.
7. What became of Khanbalik, also known as Dadu?
(a) It was destroyed in 1357.
(b) It is now known as Shanghai
(c) It is now known as Beijing.
(d) It is now known as Seoul.
8. How long did it take Friar Giovanni of Plano Carpini to travel to the Mongol court?
(a) 106 days.
(b) Two years.
(c) Six months.
(d) A year.
9. How many criminals were executed during the three decades of Khubilai's rule?
(a) More than 3,000.
(b) More than 3,500.
(c) Less than 1,500.
(d) Less than 2,500.
10. How many tons of goods did the Mongols move in 1329?
(a) 327,000 tons.
(b) 210,000 tons.
(c) 150,000 tons.
(d) 100,000 tons.
11. Who was Shiremun?
(a) Ogodei's favorite grandson.
(b) Ogodei's favorite son.
(c) Ogodei's biggest rival.
(d) Ogodei's biggest critic.
12. In 1272, Khubilai began the construction of what important building?
(a) A public hospital for the Chinese.
(b) A Chinese-style imperial capital.
(c) A library to promote literacy.
(d) An ancestral temple for his family.
13. How many letters were in the alphabetic system that could write all the languages in the world?
14. What year is the earliest reported Mongol presence in the French court?
15. How far did the envoy travel to see King Edward the I of England?
(a) 9,000 kilometers.
(b) 14,000 kilometers
(c) 4,000 miles.
(d) 7,000 miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Ottomans conquer Constantinople?
2. Throughout the Renaissance the Mongols were generally treated with adulation. However, what time period opened up a distinct anti-Asian sentiment?
3. Where did Khubilai send the heir of the Sung dynasty to study, so he would not rebel?
4. How many people did Mongke execute within Ogodei's lineage?
5. What river's origin did Khubilai launch an expedition to discover in 1281?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)