|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the first person Guyuk attacked, in 1246, as a display of his power as khan?
(b) Friar Carpini.
2. What year did the assigned person present Khubilai with an alphabet that could write all the languages in the world?
3. What did Ogodei make the centerpiece of the palace?
(a) A giant chess-set.
(b) A series of gold and silver wine vats.
(c) A series of lakes for waterfowl.
(d) His throne.
4. What became of Khanbalik, also known as Dadu?
(a) It is now known as Seoul.
(b) It is now known as Shanghai
(c) It is now known as Beijing.
(d) It was destroyed in 1357.
5. How did the Mongols traditionally begin and measure construction?
(a) A man's step.
(b) A horse's gallop.
(c) A bowshot.
(d) A catapult throw.
6. How did Ogodei combat the bulkiness of bullion and coinage?
(a) Mongols created a system of paper money.
(b) Ogodei creates a system of debit.
(c) Mongols hired others to carry their money.
(d) Ogodei created a system of credit.
7. How many tons of goods did the Mongols move in 1329?
(a) 210,000 tons.
(b) 150,000 tons.
(c) 100,000 tons.
(d) 327,000 tons.
8. What land did Subodei wish to invade, when he was about sixty?
9. Who penned the first known encyclopedia of natural history, in France?
(a) Carolus Linnaeus.
(b) Jean-Baptiste Lamarck.
(c) Andrea Cesalpino.
(d) Comte de Buffon.
10. What is a she?
(a) A group of about 200,000 peasants.
(b) A group of about 50,000 peasants.
(c) A group of 100 nobility.
(d) A group of 1,000 nobility.
11. How many flights of stairs led to Ogodei's throne?
12. What happened when Mongol prisoners were freed after their prison sentence, under Khubilai?
(a) Prisoners were always sentenced to death.
(b) They went on parole.
(c) They were banished.
(d) More torture.
13. How did Guyuk die?
(a) He was killed by his own torture methods.
(b) Nobody knows.
(c) He was killed by Sorkhokhtani.
(d) He was killed by a warring tribe.
14. What river's origin did Khubilai launch an expedition to discover in 1281?
(a) The Indus River.
(b) The Euphrates River.
(c) The Aras River.
(d) The Yellow River.
15. What did the Mongols believe Friar Carpini brought to them?
(a) A message of war.
(b) Goods from Europe.
(c) Submission from the Pope.
(d) Information on Christianity and Jesus.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote Decameron?
2. Who was the envoy appointed to meet King Edward the I of England?
3. Where did Khubilai send the heir of the Sung dynasty to study, so he would not rebel?
4. What did Khubilai change his name to in 1264?
5. When did the Ottomans conquer Constantinople?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)