|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Khubilai change his name to in 1264?
(a) The Great Khan.
(b) Khubilai Khan.
(c) Arik Boke.
(d) Zhiyuan, or Chih-yuan.
2. What was the most cost-effective way for Khubilai to transport goods during his rule?
(a) By caravan.
(b) By water.
(c) By horse.
(d) By air.
3. What year was Ogodei installed?
4. What land did Guyuk wish to control and viewed as most important?
5. Which faith did Ogodei fail to build a house for?
6. Where did the Mongols discover the triangular plow?
(a) Southeast Asia.
7. What name did the family of Genghis Khan take around the summer of 1229?
(a) The Generous Family.
(b) The Giant Family.
(c) The Golden Family.
(d) The Great Family.
8. "It is reported, but impossible to verify, that no ____ was censored during Khubilai's reign?"
(c) Work of art.
9. In what way did the Mongols change the rank of a merchant?
(a) Merchants were elevated to the rank just below religious officials.
(b) They elevated merchants second to only government officials.
(c) Merchants were no better than prostitutes, the Mongols kept it that way.
(d) Merchants were downgraded to criminals.
10. Which pope issued a papal bull in 1348, ordering the prosecution of the Jews to halt?
(a) Pope Pius III.
(b) Pope Clement III.
(c) Pope Pius VII.
(d) Pope Clement VI.
11. What became of Khanbalik, also known as Dadu?
(a) It is now known as Beijing.
(b) It is now known as Seoul.
(c) It was destroyed in 1357.
(d) It is now known as Shanghai
12. How many letters were in the alphabetic system that could write all the languages in the world?
13. Throughout the Renaissance the Mongols were generally treated with adulation. However, what time period opened up a distinct anti-Asian sentiment?
(a) The Mideival Ages.
(b) The Enlightenment.
(c) The Dark Ages.
(d) The Middle Ages.
14. How many criminals were executed during the three decades of Khubilai's rule?
(a) Less than 1,500.
(b) Less than 2,500.
(c) More than 3,000.
(d) More than 3,500.
15. How long did it take Friar Giovanni of Plano Carpini to travel to the Mongol court?
(a) A year.
(b) Two years.
(c) 106 days.
(d) Six months.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Jebe and Subodei lead the raid into Georgia?
2. Who wrote Decameron?
3. How did Guyuk die?
4. Of all the cultures the Mongols worked with, who had the most advanced pharmacology?
5. What is airak?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)