|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many schools are recorded as being created during the reign of Khubilai Khan?
2. What animal did the plague bacterium live in?
3. What land did Guyuk wish to control and viewed as most important?
4. What was the most cost-effective way for Khubilai to transport goods during his rule?
(a) By air.
(b) By water.
(c) By horse.
(d) By caravan.
5. In what way did the Mongols change the rank of a merchant?
(a) Merchants were no better than prostitutes, the Mongols kept it that way.
(b) They elevated merchants second to only government officials.
(c) Merchants were elevated to the rank just below religious officials.
(d) Merchants were downgraded to criminals.
6. How many tons of goods did the Mongols move in 1329?
(a) 327,000 tons.
(b) 100,000 tons.
(c) 150,000 tons.
(d) 210,000 tons.
7. How did Marco Polo describe the money in circulation under Khubilai?
(a) Gold bullion.
(b) Silver bars.
(c) Dried leaves stamped with insignia.
(d) Mulberry bark in rectangular squares.
8. How did Guyuk die?
(a) He was killed by Sorkhokhtani.
(b) He was killed by his own torture methods.
(c) Nobody knows.
(d) He was killed by a warring tribe.
9. Who was Shiremun?
(a) Ogodei's biggest rival.
(b) Ogodei's biggest critic.
(c) Ogodei's favorite grandson.
(d) Ogodei's favorite son.
10. Which pope issued a papal bull in 1348, ordering the prosecution of the Jews to halt?
(a) Pope Clement VI.
(b) Pope Pius VII.
(c) Pope Pius III.
(d) Pope Clement III.
11. What year is the earliest reported Mongol presence in the French court?
12. Western scholars have designated the fourteenth century as what?
(a) The Pax Mongolica.
(b) The Golden Age of Europe.
(c) The age of the Bubonic Terror.
(d) The Silken Era.
13. How many members of the Golden Family occupied the throne between the years of 1328 and 1332?
14. "It is reported, but impossible to verify, that no ____ was censored during Khubilai's reign?"
(d) Work of art.
15. When did the Mongol forces, with the help of Bayan, overtake the Sung capital of Hangzhou?
Short Answer Questions
1. What river's origin did Khubilai launch an expedition to discover in 1281?
2. What year was Ogodei installed?
3. To whom did Ogodei convey most of his administrative power?
4. In 1272, Khubilai began the construction of what important building?
5. What was Karakorum?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)