|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When a warrior dies, where does his soul go?
(a) The wind.
(b) The sky.
(c) His Spirit Banner.
(d) The sun.
2. Under the kinship hierarchy, what is each linage known by?
(a) Spirit banners.
3. What is a deel?
(a) The flints a soldier carries for fire.
(b) The canteens a soldier carries for water.
(c) The traditional Mongol robe.
(d) The saddle a Mongol rides upon.
4. Who prompted the break with Jamuka's clan in 1181?
(b) The old woman of the tribe.
5. What is another name for a Spirit Banner?
(b) Walking Stick.
(c) Rain Stick.
6. Who influenced Ong Khan's decision in 1203 to deny Temujin?
7. When did Borte die?
(b) Between 1220 and 1223.
(c) Between 1219 and 1224
8. Where did Genghis Khan get the idea to write down his laws?
(a) The Tatars.
(c) The Naiman.
(d) The Kereyid.
9. Which of the following was not a torture technique used by the famous Holy Roman Emperor Frederick Barbarossa?
(a) Pulling limbs off prisoners in front of their comrades.
(b) Soldiers playing with severed heads like balls.
(d) Putting children in catapults.
10. How did Temjin take the throne after the important khuriltai?
(a) He rode his horse to the throne.
(b) He was carried on a carpet above the heads of his followers.
(c) He walked on the hands of his followers.
(d) He was carried one by one, by his followers, to the throne.
11. What weapon did Temujin use to kill Ong Khan?
(a) A knife.
(b) A sword.
(d) A spear.
12. Why did Temujin decide to break with Jamuka's clan in 1181?
(a) Jamuka treated Temujin like an equal, but it wasn't enough.
(b) Temujin was offended by Jamuka's wife.
(c) Temujin was called upon by Ong Khan.
(d) Jamuka asked Temujin to mind the sheep.
13. What happened the first time Genghis Khan diverted the Yellow River to flood the Tangut?
(a) He diverted the river but it flooded empty land.
(b) He diverted the river, but flooded his own camp instead.
(c) He was not able to divert the river at all.
(d) He diverted the river and captured the Tangut.
14. What was the first thing the Mongol soldiers did every morning when they broke camp?
(a) They put out the night's fires and rode on.
(b) They had a meeting and discussed the next day.
(c) They prayed to Genghis Khan.
(d) A quick reconissance of the left, right, back, and front.
15. Who was one of the most valuable resources to come of the Khitan people?
(a) Yelu Chucai.
(b) Arghun Aqa.
(c) Mahmud Yalavach.
(d) Ahmad Fanakati.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year did Temujin call the khuriltai that was to be "the most important ever in steppe history?"
2. When was the final battle for control over Mongolia?
3. What does a Spirit Banner proclaim?
4. Who, in 1228, tied 400 Mongol prisoners to horses and dragged them through the streets?
5. When there was no time to cook, how did Mongol soldiers prepare their meat?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)