|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Temujin decide to break with Jamuka's clan in 1181?
(a) Temujin was offended by Jamuka's wife.
(b) Temujin was called upon by Ong Khan.
(c) Jamuka treated Temujin like an equal, but it wasn't enough.
(d) Jamuka asked Temujin to mind the sheep.
2. Who fashioned the borders of Korea and India?
(a) The Korean people.
(c) The people of India.
(d) The Mongols.
3. What was Ong Khan doing as Temujin attacked him?
(a) Standing guard.
(c) Preparing for battle.
4. What is naadam?
(a) The traditional way of throat-singing of the Mongols.
(b) The traditional games of the Mongols.
(c) The traditional food of the Mongols.
(d) The traditional songs of the Mongols.
5. Who wrote "Kamil fi at-tarikh," also known as "The Complete History" or "The Perfect History?"
(a) Köprülü Fazıl Ahmed.
(b) Nihat Ergün.
(c) Ibn al-Athir.
(d) Abdüllatif Şener.
6. After their split in 1181, what year did Temujin decide he wanted the title of khan?
7. When a warrior dies, where does his soul go?
(a) His Spirit Banner.
(b) The sun.
(c) The wind.
(d) The sky.
8. What kind of education did Genghis Khan receive?
(a) Genghis Khan took a few years of classes in his village.
(b) Genghis Khan went to school as an adult, to catch up.
(c) He recieved no formal education.
(d) He traveled to learn from a teacher when he was a teenager.
9. Which of the following was not a torture technique used by the famous Holy Roman Emperor Frederick Barbarossa?
(a) Putting children in catapults.
(c) Pulling limbs off prisoners in front of their comrades.
(d) Soldiers playing with severed heads like balls.
10. What is a deel?
(a) The traditional Mongol robe.
(b) The canteens a soldier carries for water.
(c) The saddle a Mongol rides upon.
(d) The flints a soldier carries for fire.
11. How long did the joint campaign of Jochi and Chagahatai take?
(a) Three months.
(b) One week.
(c) One month.
(d) Six months.
12. Who was one of the most valuable resources to come of the Khitan people?
(a) Yelu Chucai.
(b) Arghun Aqa.
(c) Ahmad Fanakati.
(d) Mahmud Yalavach.
13. Who, in 1228, tied 400 Mongol prisoners to horses and dragged them through the streets?
(a) The sultan of Delhi.
(b) Jalal al-Din.
(c) The Persians.
(d) The Bulgarians.
14. When there was no time to cook, how did Mongol soldiers prepare their meat?
(a) They ate it raw.
(b) They dipped it in alcohol.
(c) They put it under their saddles.
(d) They did not eat meat, only grains.
15. Under the kinship hierarchy, what is each linage known by?
(b) Spirit banners.
Short Answer Questions
1. Realizing he made a mistake in his refusal of Temujin, Ong Khan decided to do what?
2. On a modern map, how many countries did Genghis Khan conquer?
3. What does a Spirit Banner proclaim?
4. What religion did the Mongols practice?
5. What were the last words of a fallen Mongol soldier?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)