|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Thompson and his friend do after the Super Bowl, in "Trapped in Harding Park?"
2. After looking at the statistics in "A Wild and Crazy Guy," Thompson concluded that the Republicans would hold the White House for how long?
3. In "The Time Has Come," Thompson discussed a poll that said the majority of voters would vote for who in November?
4. A major scandal at what U.S. Embassy took place in "The Losers' Club?"
5. Whose testimony did Thompson analyze, in "Cowboys at Sea?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Thompson compare the Iran-Contra scandal to, in "Gone with the Wind"?
2. Who was discussed in "Let the Good Times Roll"? Why were they newsworthy?
3. What metaphorical comparison did Thompson make, in "Caligula and the 7 Dwarfs"?
4. Why did Thompson encounter a psychic in "The Gizzard of Darkness"?
5. What is the subject of the article, "The Loved Ones"?
6. How did Thompson show the public opinion of Oliver North in, "It Was You, Charlie"?
7. What did Thompson write of George Schultz, in "Cowboys at Sea"?
8. What were Thompson's complaints, in "Expelled from the System"? Why?
9. Who were "Crazy Patrick and Big Al"? What did Thompson foretell in this chapter?
10. What were Thompson's predictions, in "The Trickle Down Theory"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the outcome of the 1988 Presidential Election. What was Thompson's take on the final victory? To whom did Thompson write in his final article of the text? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Thompson's use of imagery and symbolism in the articles. What are examples of symbols that tie into overarching themes in the text?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the campaign of Senator Ted Kennedy in the 1988 Presidential Election. What scandals are associated with Kennedy? What events took place in the election?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)