|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the House of Representatives Counsel in the Oliver North hearings?
2. Thompson believed that who has a chance at the presidential election in "Caligula and the 7 Dwarfs?"
3. Who was Richard Nixon's attorney during the Watergate scandal?
4. In "The Garden of Agony," Thompson analyzed the role of what in politics?
5. What was the home state of President Richard Nixon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Thompson's complaints, in "Expelled from the System"? Why?
2. Who was discussed in "Let the Good Times Roll"? Why were they newsworthy?
3. Whose testimony did Thompson describe, in "Blame it on Dead Bill"? What happened?
4. What did Thompson detail, in "Back to the Ormsby House"?
5. Why did Thompson speak with Lowell Harrelson and when?
6. What is the subject of "The Weak in the Weird"?
7. What did Thompson expect from Reagan's Administration, in "The Year of the Pig"?
8. What picture did Thompson portray in "The Lake of Fire"?
9. What did Thompson compare the Iran-Contra scandal to, in "Gone with the Wind"?
10. Why did Thompson encounter a psychic in "The Gizzard of Darkness"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Thompson's use of imagery and symbolism in the articles. What are examples of symbols that tie into overarching themes in the text?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the author, Hunter S. Thompson. What style of journalism is Thompson known for originating? What are elements of his writing style? Give examples from the text in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the events surrounding the Chernobyl disaster. How many people were killed? Why did Thompson discuss this event?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)