|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was forced to relocate PLO headquarters from Tunis, in "Let the Good Times Roll?"
2. In "Fat Men on Horseback," Thompson concluded that the main difference between Iran-Contra and Watergate was that Iran-Contra was what?
3. In "The Scum of the Earth," Thompson detailed a feud between Jerry Falwell, Jim Bakker, Pat Robertson and who?
4. In "I Slit My Own Eyeballs," Thompson described _____ as a truly horrific month for politicians running for office.
5. In "The New Dumb," Thompson concluded that the Democratic Party had learned nothing since which election?
Short Essay Questions
1. What metaphorical comparison did Thompson make, in "Caligula and the 7 Dwarfs"?
2. Who did Thompson suggest would make a comeback in "Wooing the Degenerate Vote"? How?
3. Who is described in "The Scum of the Earth"?
4. Who were the people Thompson cited, in "Swine of the Week"?
5. Where was the Iran-Contra scandal introduced in the book? What did Thompson write initially of his predictions?
6. Why did Thompson encounter a psychic in "The Gizzard of Darkness"?
7. What did Thompson expect from Reagan's Administration, in "The Year of the Pig"?
8. What picture did Thompson portray in "The Lake of Fire"?
9. What is the subject of the article, "The Loved Ones"?
10. What was the subject of "The South African Problem"? What was Thompson's prediction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the article "They Called Him Deep Throat." Who are the figures in this narrative? What was the correlation that Thompson was making?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the campaign of Gary Hart in the 1988 Presidential Election. What scandals emerged during the campaign and how did they affect polls?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the author, Hunter S. Thompson. What style of journalism is Thompson known for originating? What are elements of his writing style? Give examples from the text in your answer.
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)