|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Democratic Senator did Thompson attack in "The Losers' Club?"
2. Thompson discussed the large number of what in America, in "Four More Years?"
3. In "The Garden of Agony," Thompson analyzed the role of what in politics?
4. How many days did the dynamite-laden vehicle sit in Thompson's yard before a neighbor blew it up, in "Orgy of the Dead?"
5. Who did Bush debate in "President Bush Will See You Now?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was the Iran-Contra scandal introduced in the book? What did Thompson write initially of his predictions?
2. What scandal took place in "The Loser's Club"? What was Thompson's suggested solution?
3. What did Thompson write of George Schultz, in "Cowboys at Sea"?
4. What were Thompson's complaints, in "Expelled from the System"? Why?
5. What did Thompson's sources tell him in "The Worm Turns"? What was his conclusion?
6. Who is described in "The Scum of the Earth"?
7. Who was discussed in "Let the Good Times Roll"? Why were they newsworthy?
8. Describe Thompson's criteria for statistics, in "The Time Has Come."
9. What did Thompson contend about the role of money in politics?
10. What did Thompson detail, in "Back to the Ormsby House"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the events surrounding the Chernobyl disaster. How many people were killed? Why did Thompson discuss this event?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Thompson's use of imagery and symbolism in the articles. What are examples of symbols that tie into overarching themes in the text?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the campaign of Gary Hart in the 1988 Presidential Election. What scandals emerged during the campaign and how did they affect polls?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)