|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Fat Men on Horseback," Thompson marveled at how fast the political landscape had changed in what amount of time?
2. After looking at the statistics in "A Wild and Crazy Guy," Thompson concluded that the Republicans would hold the White House for how long?
3. What obscure musician did Skinner claim George Bush is a fan of, in "The Other George Bush?"
4. In "The Scum of the Earth," Thompson detailed a feud between Jerry Falwell, Jim Bakker, Pat Robertson and who?
5. In "Cowboys at Sea," Thompson related the testimony in court to an attack of an oil tanker where?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were "Crazy Patrick and Big Al"? What did Thompson foretell in this chapter?
2. What did Thompson's sources tell him in "The Worm Turns"? What was his conclusion?
3. What were Thompson's complaints, in "Expelled from the System"? Why?
4. What was Thompson describing watching, in "President Bush Will See You Now"? What was Thompson's appraisal?
5. What did Thompson compare the Iran-Contra scandal to, in "Gone with the Wind"?
6. Whose testimony did Thompson describe, in "Blame it on Dead Bill"? What happened?
7. Describe Thompson's criteria for statistics, in "The Time Has Come."
8. Why did Thompson speak with Lowell Harrelson and when?
9. How did Thompson show the public opinion of Oliver North in, "It Was You, Charlie"?
10. Who were the people Thompson cited, in "Swine of the Week"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the television news industry as depicted by Thompson in the book. How has the news industry changed in 25 years?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relations between the United States and the U.S.S.R. during the 1980s. What is the significance of the meetings between Ronald Reagan and Mikhail Gorbachev?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the campaign of Gary Hart in the 1988 Presidential Election. What scandals emerged during the campaign and how did they affect polls?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)