|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Thompson write was frequently quoting Bible verses, in "The Lake of Fire?"
2. What happened to Reagan's veto on sanctions in South Africa, in "Loose Cannon on the Deck?"
3. How many days did the dynamite-laden vehicle sit in Thompson's yard before a neighbor blew it up, in "Orgy of the Dead?"
4. Who did Thompson make a phone call to, in "The Death Ship?"
5. Senator Warren Rudman was a senator from where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Thompson's predictions, in "The Trickle Down Theory"?
2. What did Thompson discover, in "The Time of the Geek," about the Gary Hart scandal?
3. Who was discussed in "Let the Good Times Roll"? Why were they newsworthy?
4. Who were the people Thompson cited, in "Swine of the Week"?
5. To whom did Hunter S. Thompson write in the end of the book? Why?
6. How did Thompson show the public opinion of Oliver North in, "It Was You, Charlie"?
7. What did Thompson write of George Schultz, in "Cowboys at Sea"?
8. What did Thompson compare the Iran-Contra scandal to, in "Gone with the Wind"?
9. What did Thompson's sources tell him in "The Worm Turns"? What was his conclusion?
10. What did Thompson expect from Reagan's Administration, in "The Year of the Pig"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the author, Hunter S. Thompson. What style of journalism is Thompson known for originating? What are elements of his writing style? Give examples from the text in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the conflict between President Reagan and Libyan dictator Moammar Khadafy. What events took place during this conflict? How did they affect the polls in the election?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relations between the United States and the U.S.S.R. during the 1980s. What is the significance of the meetings between Ronald Reagan and Mikhail Gorbachev?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)