|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the only person Thompson saw who could have benefited from the Iran-Contra scandal?
2. In "Fat Men on Horseback," Thompson concluded that the main difference between Iran-Contra and Watergate was that Iran-Contra was what?
3. What did Thompson compare the Iran-Contra scandal to, in "Gone with the Wind?"
4. Who did Thompson discover was behind the breaking of the Gary Hart scandal in "The Time of the Geek?"
5. What was the home state of President Richard Nixon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whose testimony did Thompson describe, in "Blame it on Dead Bill"? What happened?
2. Describe Thompson's criteria for statistics, in "The Time Has Come."
3. How did Thompson show the public opinion of Oliver North in, "It Was You, Charlie"?
4. Where was the Iran-Contra scandal introduced in the book? What did Thompson write initially of his predictions?
5. What was Thompson describing watching, in "President Bush Will See You Now"? What was Thompson's appraisal?
6. What did Thompson contend about the role of money in politics?
7. What did Thompson write of George Schultz, in "Cowboys at Sea"?
8. What did Thompson's sources tell him in "The Worm Turns"? What was his conclusion?
9. What metaphorical comparison did Thompson make, in "Caligula and the 7 Dwarfs"?
10. What were Thompson's predictions, in "The Trickle Down Theory"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the author, Hunter S. Thompson. What style of journalism is Thompson known for originating? What are elements of his writing style? Give examples from the text in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the details of the Iran-Contra scandal. Who was involved? How did it affect American policy?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the events surrounding the Chernobyl disaster. How many people were killed? Why did Thompson discuss this event?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)