|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Thompson discover was behind the breaking of the Gary Hart scandal in "The Time of the Geek?"
2. What did Thompson kill, in "A Death in the Family?"
3. In "The New Dumb," Thompson concluded that the Democratic Party had learned nothing since which election?
4. Who won the 1987 Super Bowl?
5. In "Ronald Reagan is Doomed," Thompson wrote that people were already fleeing the Reagan Administration because of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What scandal took place in "The Loser's Club"? What was Thompson's suggested solution?
2. What did Thompson detail, in "Back to the Ormsby House"?
3. What is the subject of the article, "The Loved Ones"?
4. What were Thompson's predictions, in "The Trickle Down Theory"?
5. Who were the people Thompson cited, in "Swine of the Week"?
6. What is the subject of "The Weak in the Weird"?
7. To whom did Hunter S. Thompson write in the end of the book? Why?
8. What metaphorical comparison did Thompson make, in "Caligula and the 7 Dwarfs"?
9. What was Thompson describing watching, in "President Bush Will See You Now"? What was Thompson's appraisal?
10. What did Thompson contend about the role of money in politics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the campaign of Senator Ted Kennedy in the 1988 Presidential Election. What scandals are associated with Kennedy? What events took place in the election?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the conflict between President Reagan and Libyan dictator Moammar Khadafy. What events took place during this conflict? How did they affect the polls in the election?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the author, Hunter S. Thompson. What style of journalism is Thompson known for originating? What are elements of his writing style? Give examples from the text in your answer.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)