|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did a leak say was not really in the hospital, in "The Gizzard of Darkness?"
2. Who did Bush debate in "President Bush Will See You Now?"
3. In "The New Dumb," Thompson concluded that the Democratic Party had learned nothing since which election?
4. Thompson believed that who has a chance at the presidential election in "Caligula and the 7 Dwarfs?"
5. Who won the 1987 Super Bowl?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was discussed in "Let the Good Times Roll"? Why were they newsworthy?
2. Whose testimony did Thompson describe, in "Blame it on Dead Bill"? What happened?
3. What is the subject of the article, "The Loved Ones"?
4. What did Thompson detail, in "Back to the Ormsby House"?
5. What was Thompson describing watching, in "President Bush Will See You Now"? What was Thompson's appraisal?
6. Who were "Crazy Patrick and Big Al"? What did Thompson foretell in this chapter?
7. What did Thompson write of George Schultz, in "Cowboys at Sea"?
8. Who is described in "The Scum of the Earth"?
9. What did Thompson's sources tell him in "The Worm Turns"? What was his conclusion?
10. What did Thompson compare the Iran-Contra scandal to, in "Gone with the Wind"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the events surrounding Filipino President Marcos. What took place in his re-election? What was the outcome of this scandal?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Thompson's use of imagery and symbolism in the articles. What are examples of symbols that tie into overarching themes in the text?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the author, Hunter S. Thompson. What style of journalism is Thompson known for originating? What are elements of his writing style? Give examples from the text in your answer.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)