|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Other George Bush," Skinner asserted that George Bush is smarter than whom?
2. "Crazy Patrick and Big Al" refered to Patrick Buchanan and who?
3. In "Wooing the Degenerate Vote," Thompson predicted that who would make a comeback and win the 1988 election?
4. Who did Thompson take to a psychic for legal advice, in "The Gizzard of Darkness?"
5. Who was Reagan's new Supreme Court nominee in "Here Come de Judge?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Thompson associate schizophrenics with the Democratic Party in the text?
2. Who were the people Thompson cited, in "Swine of the Week"?
3. Describe Thompson's criteria for statistics, in "The Time Has Come."
4. Why did Thompson bring up Patrick Buchanan, in "God Bless Colonel North"?
5. What did Thompson discover, in "The Time of the Geek," about the Gary Hart scandal?
6. Why did Thompson encounter a psychic in "The Gizzard of Darkness"?
7. What was the subject of "The South African Problem"? What was Thompson's prediction?
8. What metaphorical comparison did Thompson make, in "Caligula and the 7 Dwarfs"?
9. What is the subject of the article, "The Loved Ones"?
10. Who is described in "The Scum of the Earth"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the events surrounding the Chernobyl disaster. How many people were killed? Why did Thompson discuss this event?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Thompson's assertions regarding religion, politics, and hypocrisy in "The Hellfire Club."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Thompson's adventures with sports betting in the text. What teams did Thompson bet on and why? What were the outcomes?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)