|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Dealing with Pigs," Thompson doubted there was a connection between violence and what?
2. Cromwell offered to race his what against the motorcycle, in "Last Dance in Dumb Town?"
3. Who did Thompson bet against in the Chicago Bears game in "Meat Sickness?"
4. Who was the executive vice president at CNN in the book?
5. In "Lester Maddox Lives," the Supreme Court refused to overturn which anti-sodomy law?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Thompson write about the media in "Bad Nerves in Fat City"?
2. Where did Thompson go in "The Beast with Three Backs"? Why?
3. Describe Thompson's plans in "The Worst People in the World."
4. Who is discussed in the article, "The Hellfire Club"? What comparison did Thompson make?
5. Who was Thompson's attorney trying to save in "Deported to Malaysia"? What did Thompson do?
6. What took place in Thompson's episodic "Last Dance in Dumb Town"?
7. Describe Thompson's salvage business. Who were his compatriots?
8. How did Thompson compare the Chinese government's drug wars to the U.S. government's?
9. What was Thompson doing in "Nixon and the Whale Woman"? Why?
10. What did Thompson write about "driving" in "The Dim and Dirty Road"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Thompson's assertions regarding religion, politics, and hypocrisy in "The Hellfire Club."
Essay Topic 2
Explain the events which took place in Haiti during the late 1980s. What was Reagan's reaction to Haiti's shift in power?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Thompson's experiences in the salvage industry in Florida. Why did he go there? Why did he leave?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)