|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Ted Kennedy drive off a bridge?
2. Which politician was caught having extramarital affairs in the 1988 election?
3. What did Thompson write would eventually cover all of Utah, in "They All Drowned?"
4. Where did "Saturday Night in the City" take place?
5. At what university was Thompson going to lecture in "The Beast with Three Backs?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Thompson explain the Khadafy situation in "The American Century"?
2. Where was Thompson traveling in "Last Train from Chicago"? Who did he encounter?
3. What is the subject of "Let the Cheap Dogs Eat"? What assertions did Thompson make in this article?
4. Who was Ralph Steadman? How did Thompson describe him?
5. What took place in "Saturday Night in the City"? Who are the main figures in the story?
6. Who did Thompson encounter in "Strictly Business"? What interaction took place?
7. Who was Thompson's attorney trying to save in "Deported to Malaysia"? What did Thompson do?
8. What did Thompson write about the media in "Bad Nerves in Fat City"?
9. Who is discussed in the article, "The Hellfire Club"? What comparison did Thompson make?
10. How did Thompson compare the Chinese government's drug wars to the U.S. government's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the television news industry as depicted by Thompson in the book. How has the news industry changed in 25 years?
Essay Topic 2
What did Thompson write about the Hurricane Crisis Program in the text? What examples did he cite? Why did he feel as he did?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relations between the United States and the U.S.S.R. during the 1980s. What is the significance of the meetings between Ronald Reagan and Mikhail Gorbachev?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)