|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Thompson's friend catch trout, in "They All Drowned?"
2. What concert did Thompson watch on "Memo from the War Room?"
3. Where did Thompson fly to, in "Strictly Business?"
4. The man who sat next to Thompson on the plane in "Strictly Business" worked for what?
5. "The Pro-Flogging View" was a response to a letter from whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the subject of the article, "The Loved Ones"?
2. What was the subject of "The South African Problem"? What was Thompson's prediction?
3. What did Thompson state in his author's note that he cited more than any other source? Why?
4. Who is discussed in the article, "The Hellfire Club"? What comparison did Thompson make?
5. What is the subject of "The Weak in the Weird"?
6. Why did Thompson place the bet he did in "Meat Sickness"?
7. What took place in "Saturday Night in the City"? Who are the main figures in the story?
8. Who did Thompson suggest would make a comeback in "Wooing the Degenerate Vote"? How?
9. How did Thompson explain the Khadafy situation in "The American Century"?
10. What took place in Thompson's episodic "Last Dance in Dumb Town"?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the author, Hunter S. Thompson. What style of journalism is Thompson known for originating? What are elements of his writing style? Give examples from the text in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the outcome of the 1988 Presidential Election. What was Thompson's take on the final victory? To whom did Thompson write in his final article of the text? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the conflict between President Reagan and Libyan dictator Moammar Khadafy. What events took place during this conflict? How did they affect the polls in the election?
This section contains 1,322 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)