|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who called Thompson in "Apres Moi, le Deluge?"
2. Which politician was caught having extramarital affairs in the 1988 election?
3. Who butchered an ox with Reagan's face on it, in "Ox Butchered in Tripoli?"
4. In "Rise of the TV Preachers," Thompson argued that Pat Robertson would run for President because he was lured by the power that who seemed to wield with the White House?
5. Who did Thompson hope would go to South Africa with him, in "The Worst People in the World?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What took place in "Saturday Night in the City"? Who are the main figures in the story?
2. Who was Ralph Steadman? How did Thompson describe him?
3. Who is discussed in the article, "The Hellfire Club"? What comparison did Thompson make?
4. What was Thompson's assertion about Reagan and Bush in "Two More Years"?
5. Where did Thompson go in "The Beast with Three Backs"? Why?
6. Why did Thompson place the bet he did in "Meat Sickness"?
7. How did Thompson compare the Chinese government's drug wars to the U.S. government's?
8. Who did Thompson encounter in "Strictly Business"? What interaction took place?
9. Where was Thompson traveling in "Last Train from Chicago"? Who did he encounter?
10. Describe Thompson's plans in "The Worst People in the World."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the business of dog fighting as presented in "Let the Cheap Dogs Eat." What is Thompson's position on dog fighting? What legalities surround it?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the events surrounding Filipino President Marcos. What took place in his re-election? What was the outcome of this scandal?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the campaign of Senator Ted Kennedy in the 1988 Presidential Election. What scandals are associated with Kennedy? What events took place in the election?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)