|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Thompson fly to, in "Strictly Business?"
2. Thompson argues that for years the Chinese government had tried to eliminate what but failed, in "Down to a Sunless Sea?"
3. Who was the executive vice president at CNN in the book?
4. At what university was Thompson going to lecture in "The Beast with Three Backs?"
5. Where was Thompson at the beginning of "Strictly Business?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What took place in "Saturday Night in the City"? Who are the main figures in the story?
2. What did Thompson state in his author's note that he cited more than any other source? Why?
3. Who was Thompson's attorney trying to save in "Deported to Malaysia"? What did Thompson do?
4. What is the subject of "Let the Cheap Dogs Eat"? What assertions did Thompson make in this article?
5. Describe Thompson's salvage business. Who were his compatriots?
6. How did Thompson compare the Chinese government's drug wars to the U.S. government's?
7. What did Thompson write about Lester Maddox in the book?
8. What did Thompson do in Las Vegas in "Bull Market on The Strip"?
9. What did Thompson write about Imelda Marcos in "Just Another Terrorist"?
10. What was Thompson's assertion about Reagan and Bush in "Two More Years"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the details of the Iran-Contra scandal. Who was involved? How did it affect American policy?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the events of the Watergate scandal. Who were the principle political figures? How did Watergate impact history?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the events which took place in Haiti during the late 1980s. What was Reagan's reaction to Haiti's shift in power?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)