|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Thompson hope would send him to South Africa in "The Worst People in the World?"
2. Who did Thompson discover was withdrawing from the race in "Apres Moi, le Deluge?"
3. Thompson claimed, in "Let the Cheap Dogs Eat," that the most successful dog fighters make up to how much money in a night?
4. Where did Thompson live during the writing of Generation of Swine?
5. Who approached Thompson, in "Slow Day at the Airport?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Thompson compare the Chinese government's drug wars to the U.S. government's?
2. Describe Thompson's salvage business. Who were his compatriots?
3. What took place in "Saturday Night in the City"? Who are the main figures in the story?
4. What was Thompson's assertion about Reagan and Bush in "Two More Years"?
5. What was Thompson doing in "Nixon and the Whale Woman"? Why?
6. What did Thompson write about the media in "Bad Nerves in Fat City"?
7. How is the article "They Called Him Deep Throat" structured? Why?
8. How is Gary Hart introduced in "Gary Hart Talks Politics"? What wasThompson's opinion of Hart?
9. Who is discussed in the article, "The Hellfire Club"? What comparison did Thompson make?
10. Why did Thompson place the bet he did in "Meat Sickness"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the article "They Called Him Deep Throat." Who are the figures in this narrative? What was the correlation that Thompson was making?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the campaign of Senator Ted Kennedy in the 1988 Presidential Election. What scandals are associated with Kennedy? What events took place in the election?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Thompson's assertions regarding religion, politics, and hypocrisy in "The Hellfire Club."
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)