|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who called Thompson in "Apres Moi, le Deluge?"
2. What was the name of Thompson's girlfriend?
3. What Superbowl was it, in "Meat Sickness?"
4. The man who sat next to Thompson on the plane in "Strictly Business" worked for what?
5. In "The Hellfire Club," Thompson compared politicians' and evangelists' affairs to British men in what century?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is discussed in the article, "The Hellfire Club"? What comparison did Thompson make?
2. How is the article "They Called Him Deep Throat" structured? Why?
3. Who was Ralph Steadman? How did Thompson describe him?
4. What was Thompson's assertion about Reagan and Bush in "Two More Years"?
5. Describe Thompson's salvage business. Who were his compatriots?
6. How is Gary Hart introduced in "Gary Hart Talks Politics"? What wasThompson's opinion of Hart?
7. What did Thompson write of Ferdinand Marcos in "Memo from the War Room"?
8. Why did Thompson hope to go to Haiti in "Kill Them Before They Eat"?
9. What took place in Thompson's episodic "Last Dance in Dumb Town"?
10. Who did Thompson meet with, in "The Turk Comes to TV News"? What was the subject of this meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the author, Hunter S. Thompson. What style of journalism is Thompson known for originating? What are elements of his writing style? Give examples from the text in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the article "They Called Him Deep Throat." Who are the figures in this narrative? What was the correlation that Thompson was making?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Thompson's use of imagery and symbolism in the articles. What are examples of symbols that tie into overarching themes in the text?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)