|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much was the stranger selling the bike for, in "Last Dance in Dumb Town?"
2. What work did Thompson say he has used more lines from than any other work?
3. Who approached Thompson, in "Slow Day at the Airport?"
4. In "Lester Maddox Lives," Thompson was horrified that an openly _____ governor was still a respected political figure.
5. Which politician was caught having extramarital affairs in the 1988 election?
Short Essay Questions
1. What scandal took place in "The Loser's Club"? What was Thompson's suggested solution?
2. What were Thompson's complaints, in "Expelled from the System"? Why?
3. What did Thompson write about "driving" in "The Dim and Dirty Road"?
4. Describe Thompson's plans in "The Worst People in the World."
5. What did Thompson do in Las Vegas in "Bull Market on The Strip"?
6. Why did Thompson bring up Patrick Buchanan, in "God Bless Colonel North"?
7. How did Thompson compare the Chinese government's drug wars to the U.S. government's?
8. Why did Thompson hope to go to Haiti in "Kill Them Before They Eat"?
9. Who is discussed in the article, "The Hellfire Club"? What comparison did Thompson make?
10. Who was Thompson's attorney trying to save in "Deported to Malaysia"? What did Thompson do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the events surrounding Filipino President Marcos. What took place in his re-election? What was the outcome of this scandal?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Thompson's adventures with sports betting in the text. What teams did Thompson bet on and why? What were the outcomes?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the campaign of Gary Hart in the 1988 Presidential Election. What scandals emerged during the campaign and how did they affect polls?
This section contains 1,282 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)