Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Thompson hope would go to South Africa with him, in "The Worst People in the World?"
2. What Superbowl was it, in "Meat Sickness?"
3. How did Thompson's friend catch trout, in "They All Drowned?"
4. When did Thompson plan on going to Haiti, in "Kill Them Before They Eat?"
5. How much was the stranger selling the bike for, in "Last Dance in Dumb Town?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Thompson compare the Iran-Contra scandal to, in "Gone with the Wind"?
2. What did Thompson assert of Robertson, in "Rise of the TV Preachers"?
3. How is Gary Hart introduced in "Gary Hart Talks Politics"? What wasThompson's opinion of Hart?
4. What metaphorical comparison did Thompson make, in "Caligula and the 7 Dwarfs"?
5. What did Thompson contend about the role of money in politics?
6. What did Thompson do in Las Vegas in "Bull Market on The Strip"?
7. What did Thompson write about Lester Maddox in the book?
8. To whom did Hunter S. Thompson write in the end of the book? Why?
9. What scandal took place in "The Loser's Club"? What was Thompson's suggested solution?
10. What did Thompson expect from Reagan's Administration, in "The Year of the Pig"?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Thompson's use of imagery and symbolism in the articles. What are examples of symbols that tie into overarching themes in the text?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the campaign of Senator Ted Kennedy in the 1988 Presidential Election. What scandals are associated with Kennedy? What events took place in the election?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the author, Hunter S. Thompson. What style of journalism is Thompson known for originating? What are elements of his writing style? Give examples from the text in your answer.
This section contains 1,272 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)