|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cromwell offered to race his what against the motorcycle, in "Last Dance in Dumb Town?"
2. Who first went to look at the motorcycle for sale, in "Last Dance in Dumb Town?"
3. At what university was Thompson going to lecture in "The Beast with Three Backs?"
4. What concert did Thompson watch on "Memo from the War Room?"
5. In "Deported to Malaysia," Thompson received a call from his attorney, who was attempting to save a ____ man from killing himself at a bar near the golf course.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Gary Hart introduced in "Gary Hart Talks Politics"? What wasThompson's opinion of Hart?
2. What did Thompson write about "driving" in "The Dim and Dirty Road"?
3. Why did Thompson hope to go to Haiti in "Kill Them Before They Eat"?
4. What did Thompson write of Ferdinand Marcos in "Memo from the War Room"?
5. What took place in "Saturday Night in the City"? Who are the main figures in the story?
6. Where was Thompson traveling in "Last Train from Chicago"? Who did he encounter?
7. Describe Thompson's salvage business. Who were his compatriots?
8. What did Thompson state in his author's note that he cited more than any other source? Why?
9. What was Thompson doing in "Nixon and the Whale Woman"? Why?
10. What did Thompson write about Imelda Marcos in "Just Another Terrorist"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the details of the Iran-Contra scandal. Who was involved? How did it affect American policy?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Thompson's experiences in the salvage industry in Florida. Why did he go there? Why did he leave?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the events surrounding Filipino President Marcos. What took place in his re-election? What was the outcome of this scandal?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)