|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Thompson write are always available in hotel rooms, in his Introduction?
2. The friend who called Thompson in "Showdown in the Pig Palace" was what profession?
3. What was Thompson's heart rate in "A Generation of Swine?"
4. "A Generation of Swine" begins with Thompson describing people's obsessions with doing what at home?
5. In "Dealing with Pigs," Thompson doubted there was a connection between violence and what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was Thompson traveling in "Last Train from Chicago"? Who did he encounter?
2. What took place in Thompson's episodic "Last Dance in Dumb Town"?
3. What did Thompson write of Ferdinand Marcos in "Memo from the War Room"?
4. What was the consensus of statistics discussed between Thompson and the political strategist in "Showdown in the Pig Palace"?
5. Where did Thompson go in "The Beast with Three Backs"? Why?
6. What did Thompson write about the media in "Bad Nerves in Fat City"?
7. Why did Thompson hope to go to Haiti in "Kill Them Before They Eat"?
8. Who was Thompson's attorney trying to save in "Deported to Malaysia"? What did Thompson do?
9. What did Thompson write about "driving" in "The Dim and Dirty Road"?
10. Describe Thompson's salvage business. Who were his compatriots?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the business of dog fighting as presented in "Let the Cheap Dogs Eat." What is Thompson's position on dog fighting? What legalities surround it?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Thompson's use of imagery and symbolism in the articles. What are examples of symbols that tie into overarching themes in the text?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the events surrounding Filipino President Marcos. What took place in his re-election? What was the outcome of this scandal?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)