|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Thompson tell the swingers would put them in jail, in "Nixon and the Whale Woman?"
2. Where was Thompson at the beginning of "Strictly Business?"
3. Which politician was caught having extramarital affairs in the 1988 election?
4. Where was Thompson in "Nixon and the Whale Woman?"
5. Thompson was critical of the government's spending on what, in "Welcome to the Tunnel?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Thompson receive in "Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll"? What were his conclusions of it?
2. What did Thompson write about Imelda Marcos in "Just Another Terrorist"?
3. How did Thompson explain the Khadafy situation in "The American Century"?
4. What did Thompson compare the Iran-Contra scandal to, in "Gone with the Wind"?
5. What did Thompson contend about the role of money in politics?
6. What did Thompson write about "driving" in "The Dim and Dirty Road"?
7. Why did Thompson hope to go to Haiti in "Kill Them Before They Eat"?
8. Where did Thompson go in "The Beast with Three Backs"? Why?
9. Who were the people Thompson cited, in "Swine of the Week"?
10. What did Thompson state in his author's note that he cited more than any other source? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the television news industry as depicted by Thompson in the book. How has the news industry changed in 25 years?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the events which took place in Haiti during the late 1980s. What was Reagan's reaction to Haiti's shift in power?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the narrative in "Buffalo Gores a Visitor." Who are the characters in this story? In what narrative voice and tense is the article?
This section contains 1,317 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)