|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What major news network tried to interview Thompson but was turned away in "Bad Nerves in Fat City?"
2. Based on whose seeming advice did Thompson place his bet in "Meat Sickness?"
3. What was the name of the Filipino president discussed in "Memo from the War Room?"
4. Who did Thompson say would be elected in 1988, at his lecture in "The Beast with Three Backs?"
5. The man who sat next to Thompson on the plane in "Strictly Business" worked for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was Thompson traveling in "Last Train from Chicago"? Who did he encounter?
2. Who was Ralph Steadman? How did Thompson describe him?
3. What took place in Thompson's episodic "Last Dance in Dumb Town"?
4. What did Thompson write about Imelda Marcos in "Just Another Terrorist"?
5. What was Thompson's assertion about Reagan and Bush in "Two More Years"?
6. Who did Thompson encounter in "Strictly Business"? What interaction took place?
7. What did Thompson write about the media in "Bad Nerves in Fat City"?
8. What was Thompson doing in "Nixon and the Whale Woman"? Why?
9. What took place in "Saturday Night in the City"? Who are the main figures in the story?
10. What was the consensus of statistics discussed between Thompson and the political strategist in "Showdown in the Pig Palace"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Thompson's experiences in the salvage industry in Florida. Why did he go there? Why did he leave?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Thompson's use of imagery and symbolism in the articles. What are examples of symbols that tie into overarching themes in the text?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the details of the Iran-Contra scandal. Who was involved? How did it affect American policy?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)