|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time did Thompson receive a phone call in "Showdown in the Pig Palace?"
(a) 1 a.m.
(b) 2 a.m.
(c) 3 a.m.
(d) 5 a.m.
2. Who did Thompson hope would send him to South Africa in "The Worst People in the World?"
(a) The Sun.
(b) The Chronicle.
(c) The Post.
(d) The Examiner.
3. Where did Thompson wish the Filipino president would be sent, in "Memo from the War Room?"
(b) Northern Ireland.
(c) Elba Island.
(d) Vesco Island.
4. What was the name of the Filipino president discussed in "Memo from the War Room?"
(a) Baby Doc Duvalier.
(b) Ferdinand Marcos.
(c) Tonton Macoute.
(d) Andre Ferdinando.
5. "The Hellfire Club" discussed the sexual scandals of the televangelists Jimmy Swaggart and who else?
(a) Jim Bakker.
(b) Gary Hart.
(c) Jimmy Carter.
(d) Billy Graham.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Thompson refer to as an evil but inescapable business in "Full-time Scrambling?"
2. What did Thompson write would eventually cover all of Utah, in "They All Drowned?"
3. "Dealing with Pigs" was Thompson's reaction to what?
4. In "Lester Maddox Lives," Thompson was horrified that an openly _____ governor was still a respected political figure.
5. What was the Captain's name in "Salvage is Not Looting?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Thompson compare the Chinese government's drug wars to the U.S. government's?
2. What is the subject of "Let the Cheap Dogs Eat"? What assertions did Thompson make in this article?
3. Who was Ralph Steadman? How did Thompson describe him?
4. What took place in "Saturday Night in the City"? Who are the main figures in the story?
5. Where did Thompson go in "The Beast with Three Backs"? Why?
6. What did Thompson write about "driving" in "The Dim and Dirty Road"?
7. What did Thompson write about Lester Maddox in the book?
8. What did Thompson do in Las Vegas in "Bull Market on The Strip"?
9. What did Thompson assert of Robertson, in "Rise of the TV Preachers"?
10. What did Thompson receive in "Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll"? What were his conclusions of it?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)