|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Butler says that laws are not mere causes of which of the following?
2. According to Butler, the XY female poses problems to what type of categories?
3. How does Butler describe Wittig's idea of fictive sex?
4. Wittig claims that _____ is not the rejection of heterosexuality?
5. What kind of gender norms make certain social forms possible and others impossible, according to Butler?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Lacan describe women as symbolizing the phallus? Does Butler agree or disagree with this concept? What literary devices does Butler use to show her approval or contempt of this idea?
Essay Topic 2
What is Butler's thesis in Gender Trouble? Describe the significance of Butler's thesis as well as how well she supports it. What elements of the thesis are weak? Which are strong?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the process Butler explains from desire to identification. Is her description effective? Is it accurate? What does the significance placed on this process say about Butler?
This section contains 179 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)