|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is drag used, according to Butler?
2. How does Butler describe Wittig's idea of fictive sex?
3. Butler makes the claim that gender is a kind of what?
4. Through apposition, what does Wittig think lesbianism engages?
5. Herculine argues that the univocal idea of sex serves which of the following?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Lacan describe women as symbolizing the phallus? Does Butler agree or disagree with this concept? What literary devices does Butler use to show her approval or contempt of this idea?
Essay Topic 2
What role does language serve to play in oppression? What arguments in Gender Trouble support or refute your opinion?
Essay Topic 3
According to Gender Trouble, what creates gender? What different points of view are presented in the text surrounding the origins of gender? Why are all these theories important to the text?
This section contains 162 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)