|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Butler think is hard to quantify?
2. Butler claims that various conflicts and convergences produce shifting of which item?
3. Which theorist explains the semiotic aspect of language?
4. What do feminist critics often focus on according to Butler?
5. Butler describes which concept as explanations with more plausibility than taboos?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Gender Trouble, what is a masquerade? Why is a masquerade related to the idea of individuality, sexuality, and gender? What connotation is masquerade given?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the focus Butler has on the incest taboo. What arguments does Butler make about the incest taboo? Does the incest taboo have a strong presence in the text?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the theories Kristeva adds to Gender Trouble. How does Butler interpret these theories? What do you think of them and why?
This section contains 159 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)