|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose theory of language forbids looking for the "being" of gender?
2. Which of these is described by Butler as adopting incorporation as a mechanism of gender?
3. What kind of gender norms make certain social forms possible and others impossible, according to Butler?
4. According to Butler, the XY female poses problems to what type of categories?
5. Lacan said that there was no direct access to which of the following?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Levi-Strauss makes points about homoeroticism and incest. How does Butler portray the arguments that Levi-Strauss makes? Does she agree or disagree with him?
Essay Topic 2
Describe female identity as Butler describes society as constructing it. Why does Butler see society's view of women as pertaining to male sexual desire? Does she support these arguments effectively?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the portrayals of feminist and masculine discourse. What makes feminist discourse circular and masculine discourse bigoted, according to Beauvoir?
This section contains 170 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)