|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do feminist critics often focus on according to Butler?
2. Wittig said that the use of power is not always which of the following?
3. How does Butler describe Wittig's idea of fictive sex?
4. Which theorist explains the semiotic aspect of language?
5. Butler presents the idea that sexual nonidentity can be achieved through which of the following?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the process Butler explains from desire to identification. Is her description effective? Is it accurate? What does the significance placed on this process say about Butler?
Essay Topic 2
Describe societal constructions. What makes them complex? How are societal constructions created? Give one example of a societal construction and explain if it is negative or positive.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the portrayals of feminist and masculine discourse. What makes feminist discourse circular and masculine discourse bigoted, according to Beauvoir?
This section contains 164 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)