|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wittig says women must become which attribute?
2. Butler suggests that prohibition of which of the following is related most to sexual desire?
3. The theory of semiotic aspects of language seems to be a direct critique of which theorist?
4. Who emphasized linguistic distinctions between sexes as imposing cultural heterosexuality?
5. What kind of gender norms make certain social forms possible and others impossible, according to Butler?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Foucault's ideas used by Butler in Gender Trouble. Are Foucault's ideas relevant to Butler's thesis? Do you think Foucault's ideas are weak or strong? What does Butler seem to think?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in Gender Trouble? What are some of the symbols used in the text? Examine the use of at least two, as well as their purpose in the context of the book.
Essay Topic 3
Describe societal constructions. What makes them complex? How are societal constructions created? Give one example of a societal construction and explain if it is negative or positive.
This section contains 186 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)