|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gender Trouble define a masquerade?
2. Butler suggests that prohibition of which of the following is related most to sexual desire?
3. Butler says that we cannot wholly separate sex from which of the following?
4. On what issues do Lacan, Riviere, and Freud differ?
5. Butler presents the idea that sexual nonidentity can be achieved through which of the following?
Essay Topic 1
In general, do you find Butler's arguments to be valid? Which arguments are the most valid? Which arguments seem to be the least valid?
Essay Topic 2
Describe societal constructions. What makes them complex? How are societal constructions created? Give one example of a societal construction and explain if it is negative or positive.
Essay Topic 3
Describe female identity as Butler describes society as constructing it. Why does Butler see society's view of women as pertaining to male sexual desire? Does she support these arguments effectively?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)