|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which term does Butler use to describe Kristeva's theory?
2. Kristeva seems to understand the semiotic in what kinds of terms?
3. Gender Trouble claims that drag parodies which of the following?
4. Butler describes repression of bisexuality as a locus of which of the following?
5. Butler presents the idea that sexual nonidentity can be achieved through which of the following?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Lacan describe women as symbolizing the phallus? Does Butler agree or disagree with this concept? What literary devices does Butler use to show her approval or contempt of this idea?
Essay Topic 2
In Gender Trouble, what is a masquerade? Why is a masquerade related to the idea of individuality, sexuality, and gender? What connotation is masquerade given?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the disagreement between Beauvoir ad Irigaray about how gender asymmetry is generated. Which does Butler side with?
This section contains 165 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)