|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Butler states that women must take which approach?
2. Levi-Strauss said that which of the following is the beginning of the divide between men and women?
3. Butler thinkss the definition of gender should be which of the following?
4. Who does Butler describe as concerning themselves with cultural laws and roles in oppression?
5. Gender can be constructed for political reasons to take which of the following actions, according to Gender Trouble?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the path Butler outlines that leads to identification.
2. What are Butler's goals regarding the topic of incest?
3. What is the purpose of binary restrictions?
4. What is Kristeva's view of law?
5. Describe Butler's conclusions about sexual desire.
6. Why does Butler say that rectifying pre-patriarchal scheme is problematic?
7. Describe Wittig's views and arguments.
8. Describe the nature-culture separation.
9. According to Witting, what determines gender?
10. What do Lacan, Riviere, and Freud disagree about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the journals written by Herculine Barbin. What is the significance of Barbin's ideas and theories? How does Butler support and critique them?
Essay Topic 2
Describe female identity as Butler describes society as constructing it. Why does Butler see society's view of women as pertaining to male sexual desire? Does she support these arguments effectively?
Essay Topic 3
What role does language serve to play in oppression? What arguments in Gender Trouble support or refute your opinion?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)