|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Levi-Strauss said that which of the following is the beginning of the divide between men and women?
2. To Butler, worry arises that the idea of which of the following has no meaning?
3. In Gender Trouble, male-female distinction is compared to which distinction?
4. According to Butler, binary restrictions on sex are constructed to serve which of the following?
5. Wittig wants which idea to be destroyed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Butler's conclusions about sexual desire.
2. Describe Herculine Barbin.
3. Describe Butler's feelings about the body.
4. What do Beauvoir and Irigaray disagree on?
5. What is Butler's main question in Gender Trouble?
6. Describe Wittig's views and arguments.
7. Describe the path Butler outlines that leads to identification.
8. How did Butler describe the concept of splitting sex and gender?
9. What is the purpose of binary restrictions?
10. How does Butler describe power structures?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Lacan describe women as symbolizing the phallus? Does Butler agree or disagree with this concept? What literary devices does Butler use to show her approval or contempt of this idea?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the theories Kristeva adds to Gender Trouble. How does Butler interpret these theories? What do you think of them and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the focus Butler has on the incest taboo. What arguments does Butler make about the incest taboo? Does the incest taboo have a strong presence in the text?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)