|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is homoeroticism?
2. In Gender Trouble, male-female distinction is compared to which distinction?
3. Butler says that the idea of woman may obscure which of the following?
4. Without recourse to some idea of power, which does Butler believe cannot be achieved?
5. Butler describes all sexuality as being constructed within which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Butler say about intelligible genders?
2. According to Herculine's arguments, how can sexual nonidentity be achieved?
3. According to Butler, how can one develop identity?
4. How does Butler describe homoeroticism?
5. Describe Butler's feelings about the body.
6. Why and how is gender created to oppress, according to Butler?
7. What is the purpose of binary restrictions?
8. What does Butler believe about the definition of gender?
9. Explain the concept of a taboo.
10. Why does Lacan think women symbolize the phallus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe female identity as Butler describes society as constructing it. Why does Butler see society's view of women as pertaining to male sexual desire? Does she support these arguments effectively?
Essay Topic 2
Describe societal constructions. What makes them complex? How are societal constructions created? Give one example of a societal construction and explain if it is negative or positive.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the portrayals of feminist and masculine discourse. What makes feminist discourse circular and masculine discourse bigoted, according to Beauvoir?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)