|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is homoeroticism?
2. Who does Butler lean toward in terms of gender asymmetry?
3. Butler makes the claim that what type of genders produce coherence and continuity?
4. What is the first effect of counterexamples of well-defined concepts, as pointed out by Butler?
5. Foucault discussed which of the following as being relevant to gender oppression at the hands of politics?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Butler's feelings about the body.
2. Describe masculine subjects as Butler views them.
3. According to Witting, what determines gender?
4. How does Butler describe power structures?
5. How does Butler describe identification as being social constructed?
6. What is gender identification?
7. Describe how Butler says bodies are regulated.
8. How does Butler describe the process of construction?
9. Describe the argument between materialism and Lacanian positions.
10. Describe Butler's conclusions about sexual desire.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the portrayals of feminist and masculine discourse. What makes feminist discourse circular and masculine discourse bigoted, according to Beauvoir?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the journals written by Herculine Barbin. What is the significance of Barbin's ideas and theories? How does Butler support and critique them?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the process Butler explains from desire to identification. Is her description effective? Is it accurate? What does the significance placed on this process say about Butler?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)