|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Butler states that women must take which approach?
2. Which of the following describes power structures as Butler sees them?
3. To Butler, worry arises that the idea of which of the following has no meaning?
4. Which of the following adjectives does Butler use to describe oppression?
5. According to Butler, binary restrictions on sex are constructed to serve which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Butler's thesis in Gender Trouble?
2. Describe how Butler says bodies are regulated.
3. What does Butler say about the causes of laws?
4. Describe Butler's view of feminist theory.
5. What does Butler hope Gender Trouble will affirm?
6. Why do some feminists say that feminine identity is vital, according to Butler?
7. What is gender identification?
8. How was the feminine identity created, according to Foucault?
9. Why does Butler say that rectifying pre-patriarchal scheme is problematic?
10. According to Butler, what happens if the distinction between sex and gender is pushed too far?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the portrayals of feminist and masculine discourse. What makes feminist discourse circular and masculine discourse bigoted, according to Beauvoir?
Essay Topic 2
In general, do you find Butler's arguments to be valid? Which arguments are the most valid? Which arguments seem to be the least valid?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the journals written by Herculine Barbin. What is the significance of Barbin's ideas and theories? How does Butler support and critique them?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)