|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the dominance of man express to Butler?
2. According to Butler, gender is more an attribute than a what?
3. Butler claims that the idea of conceiving sex in a concrete way supports which of these?
4. In Gender Trouble, male-female distinction is compared to which distinction?
5. According to Butler, gender differentiates which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Butler describe power structures?
2. Describe the nature-culture separation.
3. Why do some feminists say that feminine identity is vital, according to Butler?
4. Describe the argument between materialism and Lacanian positions.
5. What does Butler believe about the definition of gender?
6. Explain the concept of a taboo.
7. Describe the disagreement between Kristeva, Lacan, and Butler.
8. How does Butler describe the process of construction?
9. Why does Lacan find language misleading?
10. What does the maternal body represent to Kristeva?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the importance of power as it relates to sexuality, according to Butler and feminist theorists.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Butler's conclusion as a whole. Is it effective? Does you agree with it or believe that it has some merit? Does it fulfill its purpose?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the focus Butler has on the incest taboo. What arguments does Butler make about the incest taboo? Does the incest taboo have a strong presence in the text?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)