|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gender can be constructed for political reasons to take which of the following actions, according to Gender Trouble?
2. What does Butler want to see in relation to politics?
3. Wittig wants which idea to be destroyed?
4. What term does Butler use to describe all sexuality straying from social laws?
5. What is the second effect of counterexamples of well-defined concepts, as pointed out by Butler?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Butler, how can one develop identity?
2. How does Butler propose one can explode categories and oppositions?
3. Why does Butler say that rectifying pre-patriarchal scheme is problematic?
4. What suggestions did Luce Irigaray make?
5. Describe how Butler says bodies are regulated.
6. What do Lacan, Riviere, and Freud disagree about?
7. Describe the path Butler outlines that leads to identification.
8. What are Butler's goals regarding the topic of incest?
9. Describe Herculine Barbin.
10. Why does Lacan think women symbolize the phallus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the process Butler explains from desire to identification. Is her description effective? Is it accurate? What does the significance placed on this process say about Butler?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the focus Butler has on the incest taboo. What arguments does Butler make about the incest taboo? Does the incest taboo have a strong presence in the text?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the disagreement between Beauvoir ad Irigaray about how gender asymmetry is generated. Which does Butler side with?
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)