|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some feminists believe that what is the cultural interpretation of sex?
2. What are theories referred to that produce ideas of social mechanisms of power?
3. Who does Butler lean toward in terms of gender asymmetry?
4. Butler believes that coalitions should be which of the following?
5. According to Butler, gender differentiates which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is gender identification?
2. What do Beauvoir and Irigaray disagree on?
3. Describe how Butler says bodies are regulated.
4. What does Butler hope Gender Trouble will affirm?
5. Why does Lacan think women symbolize the phallus?
6. According to Butler, how can one develop identity?
7. How was the feminine identity created, according to Foucault?
8. Describe Butler's conclusions about sexual desire.
9. According to Butler, what is a woman's identity associated with?
10. Describe the argument between Foucault and Barbin.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Gender Trouble, what is a masquerade? Why is a masquerade related to the idea of individuality, sexuality, and gender? What connotation is masquerade given?
Essay Topic 2
According to Gender Trouble, what creates gender? What different points of view are presented in the text surrounding the origins of gender? Why are all these theories important to the text?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the focus Butler has on the incest taboo. What arguments does Butler make about the incest taboo? Does the incest taboo have a strong presence in the text?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)