|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Many feminists believe that one must develop which of the following?
2. What term does Butler use to describe all sexuality straying from social laws?
3. According to Butler, binary restrictions on sex are constructed to serve which of the following?
4. Butler claims that the idea of conceiving sex in a concrete way supports which of these?
5. The process of construction, as described by Butler, is which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Butler say about intelligible genders?
2. Describe Herculine Barbin.
3. Why and how is gender created to oppress, according to Butler?
4. According to Witting, what determines gender?
5. What do Lacan, Riviere, and Freud disagree about?
6. What is postgenital sexuality?
7. How does Butler describe homoeroticism?
8. What does Butler believe about the definition of gender?
9. How does Butler propose one can explode categories and oppositions?
10. What are the effects of the counterexamples of well-defined concepts, such as a well-defined category of women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does language serve to play in oppression? What arguments in Gender Trouble support or refute your opinion?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the process Butler explains from desire to identification. Is her description effective? Is it accurate? What does the significance placed on this process say about Butler?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the portrayals of feminist and masculine discourse. What makes feminist discourse circular and masculine discourse bigoted, according to Beauvoir?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)