|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Butler says that feminist theory often looks for what type of person?
2. Which of the following describes power structures as Butler sees them?
3. Butler describes the distinction between gender and sex as first being used to undermine which of the following?
4. To Butler, worry arises that the idea of which of the following has no meaning?
5. What does the dominance of man express to Butler?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Herculine's arguments, how can sexual nonidentity be achieved?
2. Describe Herculine Barbin.
3. According to Butler, what do some feminists think about gender?
4. Describe the disagreement between Kristeva, Lacan, and Butler.
5. Describe Wittig's views and arguments.
6. What does Butler mean when she suggests there is more mere convention in biological research than is supposed?
7. How did Butler describe the concept of splitting sex and gender?
8. According to Butler, what approach must all women take?
9. What does Butler say about intelligible genders?
10. Why does Lacan find language misleading?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the disagreement between Beauvoir ad Irigaray about how gender asymmetry is generated. Which does Butler side with?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the theories Kristeva adds to Gender Trouble. How does Butler interpret these theories? What do you think of them and why?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the portrayals of feminist and masculine discourse. What makes feminist discourse circular and masculine discourse bigoted, according to Beauvoir?
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)