|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some feminists believe that what is the cultural interpretation of sex?
2. Butler describes which of these as not being inevitable?
3. What term does Butler use to describe all sexuality straying from social laws?
4. Butler warns not to use identity as which of the following?
5. What is the second effect of counterexamples of well-defined concepts, as pointed out by Butler?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the maternal body represent to Kristeva?
2. How does Butler describe identification as being social constructed?
3. Describe the argument between materialism and Lacanian positions.
4. Describe Herculine Barbin.
5. How does Butler describe power structures?
6. What does Butler think of Wittig's ideas?
7. Describe how Butler says bodies are regulated.
8. Describe Wittig's views and arguments.
9. According to Witting, what determines gender?
10. What is Butler's main question in Gender Trouble?
Essay Topic 1
Describe female identity as Butler describes society as constructing it. Why does Butler see society's view of women as pertaining to male sexual desire? Does she support these arguments effectively?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the portrayals of feminist and masculine discourse. What makes feminist discourse circular and masculine discourse bigoted, according to Beauvoir?
Essay Topic 3
Describe societal constructions. What makes them complex? How are societal constructions created? Give one example of a societal construction and explain if it is negative or positive.
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)