|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Butler suggests that we may be able to speak of what type of person without masculine attributes?
2. According to Butler, culture separation obscures which of the following?
3. Butler claims that feminists should criticize in which manner?
4. Butler claims that which of these is needed for a point to hold?
5. Butler describes language as a tool of which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Butler, what is a woman's identity associated with?
2. How did Butler describe the concept of splitting sex and gender?
3. Describe the nature-culture separation.
4. What parameters does bisexuality lie outside?
5. Describe Butler's conclusions about sexual desire.
6. What did Levi-Strauss mean by the totality and closure of language?
7. What is the significance of poetry in Gender Trouble?
8. Describe Herculine Barbin.
9. What does Butler think about coalitions?
10. Describe the argument between Foucault and Barbin.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the disagreement between Beauvoir ad Irigaray about how gender asymmetry is generated. Which does Butler side with?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the journals written by Herculine Barbin. What is the significance of Barbin's ideas and theories? How does Butler support and critique them?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Butler's conclusion as a whole. Is it effective? Does you agree with it or believe that it has some merit? Does it fulfill its purpose?
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)