|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Butler claims that which of the following produce feminine identity?
2. What is the second effect of counterexamples of well-defined concepts, as pointed out by Butler?
3. Wittig wants which idea to be destroyed?
4. Irigaray sees dialogue as a manifestation of which of the following?
5. Butler claims that the idea of conceiving sex in a concrete way supports which of these?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Butler mean when she suggests there is more mere convention in biological research than is supposed?
2. Describe Herculine Barbin.
3. What does the maternal body represent to Kristeva?
4. What does Butler believe about the definition of gender?
5. What is gender identification?
6. What does Butler hope Gender Trouble will affirm?
7. What is Butler's main question in Gender Trouble?
8. According to Herculine's arguments, how can sexual nonidentity be achieved?
9. According to Butler, what approach must all women take?
10. What does Butler say about intelligible genders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Levi-Strauss makes points about homoeroticism and incest. How does Butler portray the arguments that Levi-Strauss makes? Does she agree or disagree with him?
Essay Topic 2
Describe societal constructions. What makes them complex? How are societal constructions created? Give one example of a societal construction and explain if it is negative or positive.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Butler's conclusion as a whole. Is it effective? Does you agree with it or believe that it has some merit? Does it fulfill its purpose?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)