|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Butler lean toward in terms of gender asymmetry?
2. According to Butler, oppression requires which of the following?
3. Which of the following describes power structures as Butler sees them?
4. What does Butler want to see in relation to politics?
5. What does the dominance of man express to Butler?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Beauvoir and Irigaray disagree on?
2. According to Butler, how can one develop identity?
3. Are Butler's conclusions effective?
4. How does Butler describe the process of construction?
5. Describe Butler's feelings about the body.
6. How does Butler propose one can explode categories and oppositions?
7. According to Witting, what determines gender?
8. What does Butler say about the causes of laws?
9. Describe the argument between Foucault and Barbin.
10. How was the feminine identity created, according to Foucault?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In general, do you find Butler's arguments to be valid? Which arguments are the most valid? Which arguments seem to be the least valid?
Essay Topic 2
What is Butler's thesis in Gender Trouble? Describe the significance of Butler's thesis as well as how well she supports it. What elements of the thesis are weak? Which are strong?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the portrayals of feminist and masculine discourse. What makes feminist discourse circular and masculine discourse bigoted, according to Beauvoir?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)