|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Butler, what makes feminist discourse circular?
2. To understand gender identity, Butler states that we must know which of the following?
3. Butler makes the claim that what type of genders produce coherence and continuity?
4. Foucault discussed which of the following as being relevant to gender oppression at the hands of politics?
5. What are theories referred to that produce ideas of social mechanisms of power?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Butler hope Gender Trouble will affirm?
2. How does Butler propose one can explode categories and oppositions?
3. Describe the nature-culture separation.
4. Describe Butler's feelings about the body.
5. Why does Lacan find language misleading?
6. According to Butler, what approach must all women take?
7. Describe the disagreement between Kristeva, Lacan, and Butler.
8. Describe the argument between Foucault and Barbin.
9. What do Lacan, Riviere, and Freud disagree about?
10. What does Butler think about coalitions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does language serve to play in oppression? What arguments in Gender Trouble support or refute your opinion?
Essay Topic 2
According to Gender Trouble, what creates gender? What different points of view are presented in the text surrounding the origins of gender? Why are all these theories important to the text?
Essay Topic 3
Describe societal constructions. What makes them complex? How are societal constructions created? Give one example of a societal construction and explain if it is negative or positive.
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)