|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Butler describes construction as caught between which two elements?
2. Some sexuality is enhanced by which of the following, according to Butler?
3. What does Butler want to see in relation to politics?
4. According to Butler, what can exist outside power discourse?
5. Many feminists say that the idea of "woman" is which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Butler describe homoeroticism?
2. According to Butler, what approach must all women take?
3. Describe Butler's conclusions about sexual desire.
4. How does Butler describe drag?
5. What did Levi-Strauss mean by the totality and closure of language?
6. Explain the concept of a taboo.
7. Why does Butler say that rectifying pre-patriarchal scheme is problematic?
8. According to Witting, what determines gender?
9. Describe how Butler says bodies are regulated.
10. Describe masculine subjects as Butler views them.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe female identity as Butler describes society as constructing it. Why does Butler see society's view of women as pertaining to male sexual desire? Does she support these arguments effectively?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the process Butler explains from desire to identification. Is her description effective? Is it accurate? What does the significance placed on this process say about Butler?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in Gender Trouble? What are some of the symbols used in the text? Examine the use of at least two, as well as their purpose in the context of the book.
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)