|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Butler says that feminist theory often looks for what type of person?
2. Butler states that when feminism splits ideas of sex and gender, it also splits which of the following?
3. According to Butler, binary restrictions on sex are constructed to serve which of the following?
4. Butler believed that the definition of what word should be permanently deferred?
5. Which of the following adjectives does Butler use to describe oppression?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Butler describe power structures?
2. How was the feminine identity created, according to Foucault?
3. According to Butler, what approach must all women take?
4. What did Levi-Strauss mean by the totality and closure of language?
5. How does Butler propose one can explode categories and oppositions?
6. Describe the nature-culture separation.
7. Are Butler's conclusions effective?
8. Describe how Butler says bodies are regulated.
9. Describe masculine subjects as Butler views them.
10. According to Butler, how can one develop identity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the focus Butler has on the incest taboo. What arguments does Butler make about the incest taboo? Does the incest taboo have a strong presence in the text?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the theories Kristeva adds to Gender Trouble. How does Butler interpret these theories? What do you think of them and why?
Essay Topic 3
What role does language serve to play in oppression? What arguments in Gender Trouble support or refute your opinion?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)