|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Butler describes which of these as not being inevitable?
2. To Butler, worry arises that the idea of which of the following has no meaning?
3. Who does Butler describe as concerning themselves with cultural laws and roles in oppression?
4. Butler states that if the distinction between sex and gender is pushed too far, the idea of gender becomes of the following?
5. Irigaray's idea of feminine "sex" is described as including which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why and how is gender created to oppress, according to Butler?
2. How was the feminine identity created, according to Foucault?
3. What is a consequence that Butler suggests results from the lack of clarity between distinctions?
4. Describe the path Butler outlines that leads to identification.
5. What is the significance of poetry in Gender Trouble?
6. How does Butler describe drag?
7. What is the purpose of binary restrictions?
8. What are the effects of the counterexamples of well-defined concepts, such as a well-defined category of women?
9. Describe Herculine Barbin.
10. How does Butler describe the process of construction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Butler suggests that gender can be undermined and controlled. Do you believe this is true?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of power as it relates to sexuality, according to Butler and feminist theorists.
Essay Topic 3
In Gender Trouble, what is a masquerade? Why is a masquerade related to the idea of individuality, sexuality, and gender? What connotation is masquerade given?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)