|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Many feminists believe that one must develop which of the following?
2. To Butler, looking for sexed nature prior to culture is a result of which of the following?
3. Some sexuality is enhanced by which of the following, according to Butler?
4. Butler describes construction as caught between which two elements?
5. According to Butler, gender differentiates which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the nature-culture separation.
2. What does Butler mean when she suggests there is more mere convention in biological research than is supposed?
3. What are Butler's goals regarding the topic of incest?
4. What is Butler's main question in Gender Trouble?
5. What do Beauvoir and Irigaray disagree on?
6. What does Butler hope Gender Trouble will affirm?
7. According to Butler, how can one develop identity?
8. Describe Butler's conclusions about sexual desire.
9. According to Herculine's arguments, how can sexual nonidentity be achieved?
10. How does Butler describe drag?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the disagreement between Beauvoir ad Irigaray about how gender asymmetry is generated. Which does Butler side with?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in Gender Trouble? What are some of the symbols used in the text? Examine the use of at least two, as well as their purpose in the context of the book.
Essay Topic 3
Describe societal constructions. What makes them complex? How are societal constructions created? Give one example of a societal construction and explain if it is negative or positive.
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)