|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Gender Trouble, male-female distinction is compared to which distinction?
2. Butler says that which group can appropriate the idea of sexual difference?
3. Butler thinkss the definition of gender should be which of the following?
4. Levi-Strauss said that which of the following is the beginning of the divide between men and women?
5. Some sexuality is enhanced by which of the following, according to Butler?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Butler describe identification as being social constructed?
2. What does the maternal body represent to Kristeva?
3. What does Butler believe about the definition of gender?
4. What does Butler say about the causes of laws?
5. Why does Lacan think women symbolize the phallus?
6. According to Butler, what happens if the distinction between sex and gender is pushed too far?
7. What is Kristeva's view of law?
8. According to Witting, what determines gender?
9. Describe the argument between materialism and Lacanian positions.
10. What does the term "masquerade" reference?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the disagreement between Beauvoir ad Irigaray about how gender asymmetry is generated. Which does Butler side with?
Essay Topic 2
Describe female identity as Butler describes society as constructing it. Why does Butler see society's view of women as pertaining to male sexual desire? Does she support these arguments effectively?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Foucault's ideas used by Butler in Gender Trouble. Are Foucault's ideas relevant to Butler's thesis? Do you think Foucault's ideas are weak or strong? What does Butler seem to think?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)