|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Beauvoir thinks that masculine discourse is which of the following?
2. Butler warns not to use identity as which of the following?
3. According to Butler, gender differentiates which of the following?
4. Butler describes the distinction between gender and sex as first being used to undermine which of the following?
5. Which of the following describes power structures as Butler sees them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Butler think of Wittig's ideas?
2. What is a consequence that Butler suggests results from the lack of clarity between distinctions?
3. According to Herculine's arguments, how can sexual nonidentity be achieved?
4. How does Butler propose one can explode categories and oppositions?
5. Why does Butler say that rectifying pre-patriarchal scheme is problematic?
6. How does Butler describe the process of construction?
7. According to Butler, how can one develop identity?
8. How does Butler describe homoeroticism?
9. Describe the nature-culture separation.
10. What is Butler's main question in Gender Trouble?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the theories Kristeva adds to Gender Trouble. How does Butler interpret these theories? What do you think of them and why?
Essay Topic 2
What role does language serve to play in oppression? What arguments in Gender Trouble support or refute your opinion?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Butler's conclusion as a whole. Is it effective? Does you agree with it or believe that it has some merit? Does it fulfill its purpose?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)