|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Butler says that which group can appropriate the idea of sexual difference?
2. Butler claims that which of these is needed for a point to hold?
3. Butler states that women must take which approach?
4. Butler believes that gender is which of the following?
5. To understand gender identity, Butler states that we must know which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Butler describe drag?
2. According to Witting, what determines gender?
3. According to Herculine's arguments, how can sexual nonidentity be achieved?
4. What is Kristeva's view of law?
5. Describe how Butler says bodies are regulated.
6. Describe Butler's conclusions about sexual desire.
7. Describe Wittig's views and arguments.
8. Describe Herculine Barbin.
9. What is the purpose of binary restrictions?
10. How does Butler describe power structures?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the theories Kristeva adds to Gender Trouble. How does Butler interpret these theories? What do you think of them and why?
Essay Topic 2
Butler suggests that gender can be undermined and controlled. Do you believe this is true?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Lacan describe women as symbolizing the phallus? Does Butler agree or disagree with this concept? What literary devices does Butler use to show her approval or contempt of this idea?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)