|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first effect of counterexamples of well-defined concepts, as pointed out by Butler?
(a) Foundationalism results.
(b) Obscures reality.
(c) Societal mechanisms result.
(d) Feminist politics strengthen.
2. Butler says the question of which of the following makes women a positive being?
(a) Metaphysics of substance.
(b) Metaphysics of bodies.
(c) Metaphysics of constraint.
(d) Metaphysics of determinism.
3. The subject of feminism cannot ground which of the following, according to Butler?
(a) Masculine identity.
(b) Post-feminist politics.
(c) Feminine identity.
(d) Feminist politics.
4. Butler describes which of these as not being inevitable?
5. In Gender Trouble, male-female distinction is compared to which distinction?
Short Answer Questions
1. Butler says that the idea of woman may obscure which of the following?
2. Butler points out that which of the following is related to entrapping assumptions about identity?
3. Butler suggests that we may be able to speak of what type of person without masculine attributes?
4. Some sexuality is enhanced by which of the following, according to Butler?
5. What is homoeroticism?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Butler's feelings about the body.
2. What did Levi-Strauss mean by the totality and closure of language?
3. Why does Lacan think women symbolize the phallus?
4. What is a consequence that Butler suggests results from the lack of clarity between distinctions?
5. Describe the nature-culture separation.
6. What is the purpose of binary restrictions?
7. How did Butler describe the concept of splitting sex and gender?
8. According to Butler, what do some feminists think about gender?
9. Describe Butler's view of feminist theory.
10. What does Butler think of Wittig's ideas?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)