|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Butler describes the distinction between gender and sex as first being used to undermine which of the following?
(a) Biology vs. destiny.
(b) Future vs. past.
(c) Science vs. religion.
(d) Faith vs. destiny.
2. Butler makes the claim that what type of genders produce coherence and continuity?
3. Butler warns not to use identity as which of the following?
(a) An excuse.
(b) A premise.
(c) A reason.
(d) A cause.
4. According to Butler, gender is more an attribute than a what?
(a) Social construction.
(b) Societal mechanism.
5. Which of the following terms does Butler use to describe oppression?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are theories referred to that produce ideas of social mechanisms of power?
2. Butler insists that unity is not necessary for which to be effective?
3. Butler states that if the distinction between sex and gender is pushed too far, the idea of gender becomes of the following?
4. According to Butler, gender differentiates which of the following?
5. Butler claims that women are often identified with which of the following terms?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a consequence that Butler suggests results from the lack of clarity between distinctions?
2. How does Butler describe drag?
3. Describe the argument between Foucault and Barbin.
4. According to Witting, what determines gender?
5. What is postgenital sexuality?
6. What does Butler think of Wittig's ideas?
7. What does Butler hope Gender Trouble will affirm?
8. How does Butler describe identification as being social constructed?
9. According to Herculine's arguments, how can sexual nonidentity be achieved?
10. What does the maternal body represent to Kristeva?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)