|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Levi-Strauss said that which of the following is the beginning of the divide between men and women?
(a) Forbidding women to breastfeed.
(b) Allowing incest.
(c) Forbidding incest.
(d) Allowing women to have an education.
2. Butler believed that the definition of what word should be permanently deferred?
3. According to Butler, binary restrictions on sex are constructed to serve which of the following?
(a) Cumpulsory homosexuality.
(b) Compulsory heterosexuality.
(c) Voluntary heterosexuality.
(d) Forced homosexuality.
4. Which of the following terms does Butler use to describe oppression?
5. What is the second effect of counterexamples of well-defined concepts, as pointed out by Butler?
(a) Marginilizes people.
(b) Supports feminist politics.
(c) Undermines identity.
(d) Increases identity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Butler believes that gender is which of the following?
2. Who does Butler describe as concerning themselves with cultural laws and roles in oppression?
3. Butler claims that the idea of conceiving sex in a concrete way supports which of these?
4. Butler says that feminist theory often looks for what type of person?
5. Some feminists believe that what is the cultural interpretation of sex?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the nature-culture separation.
2. What is gender identification?
3. How does Butler describe power structures?
4. According to Butler, how can one develop identity?
5. What is the purpose of binary restrictions?
6. Why does Butler say that rectifying pre-patriarchal scheme is problematic?
7. Describe Herculine Barbin.
8. Describe the path Butler outlines that leads to identification.
9. According to Butler, what approach must all women take?
10. According to Witting, what determines gender?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)