|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Butler says that feminist theory often looks for what type of person?
(a) A savior.
(b) An evil man.
(c) A scapegoat.
(d) A villain.
2. According to Butler, what can exist outside power discourse?
3. Which of the following describes power structures as Butler sees them?
(a) All bad.
(b) Not all bad.
(c) All patriarchal.
(d) Never patriarchal.
4. To understand gender identity, Butler states that we must know which of the following?
(a) Matrix of ntelligibility.
(b) Matrix of gender trouble.
(c) Matrix of feminism.
(d) Matrix of feminist politics.
5. Butler states that women must take which approach?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first effect of counterexamples of well-defined concepts, as pointed out by Butler?
2. Butler describes the distinction between gender and sex as first being used to undermine which of the following?
3. According to Butler, oppression requires which of the following?
4. According to Butler, what makes feminist discourse circular?
5. Butler describes construction as caught between which two elements?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Butler say that rectifying pre-patriarchal scheme is problematic?
2. According to Herculine's arguments, how can sexual nonidentity be achieved?
3. What is Butler's thesis in Gender Trouble?
4. How does Butler describe homoeroticism?
5. Describe the nature-culture separation.
6. Explain the concept of a taboo.
7. Describe the path Butler outlines that leads to identification.
8. What does Butler think of Wittig's ideas?
9. What does the maternal body represent to Kristeva?
10. Describe Herculine Barbin.
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)