|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Butler describe as always being a part of the language of gender?
2. Which of the following terms does Butler use to describe oppression?
3. In Gender Trouble, male-female distinction is compared to which distinction?
4. Butler claims that which of the following produce feminine identity?
(a) Entrapping assumptions.
(c) Feminist politics.
(d) Societal mechanisms.
5. Butler says the question of which of the following makes women a positive being?
(a) Metaphysics of constraint.
(b) Metaphysics of determinism.
(c) Metaphysics of bodies.
(d) Metaphysics of substance.
Short Answer Questions
1. Irigaray's idea of feminine "sex" is described as including which of the following?
2. Butler points out that which of the following is related to entrapping assumptions about identity?
3. Who does Butler lean toward in terms of gender asymmetry?
4. Butler states that when feminism splits ideas of sex and gender, it also splits which of the following?
5. According to Butler, oppression requires which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the argument between Foucault and Barbin.
2. What is Butler's main question in Gender Trouble?
3. What did Levi-Strauss mean by the totality and closure of language?
4. Describe the argument between materialism and Lacanian positions.
5. What do Lacan, Riviere, and Freud disagree about?
6. What is Kristeva's view of law?
7. Why does Butler say that rectifying pre-patriarchal scheme is problematic?
8. Why and how is gender created to oppress, according to Butler?
9. According to Butler, what do some feminists think about gender?
10. How does Butler describe homoeroticism?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)