|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gender can be constructed for political reasons to take which of the following actions, according to Gender Trouble?
2. In Gender Trouble, male-female distinction is compared to which distinction?
3. According to Butler, oppression requires which of the following?
(a) A hidden agent.
(b) A savior.
(c) A villain.
(d) A scapegoat.
4. According to Butler, gender is more an attribute than a what?
(a) Societal mechanism.
(b) Social construction.
5. Butler states that women must take which approach?
6. Which of the following adjectives does Butler use to describe oppression?
7. Which of the following does Butler describe as always being a part of the language of gender?
8. To Butler, looking for sexed nature prior to culture is a result of which of the following?
(a) Good intentions.
(b) Low intelligence.
(c) Bad intentions.
(d) High intelligence.
9. Butler describes which of these as not being inevitable?
10. Wittig wants which idea to be destroyed?
11. What is the second effect of counterexamples of well-defined concepts, as pointed out by Butler?
(a) Marginilizes people.
(b) Increases identity.
(c) Undermines identity.
(d) Supports feminist politics.
12. What is the first effect of counterexamples of well-defined concepts, as pointed out by Butler?
(a) Feminist politics strengthen.
(b) Obscures reality.
(c) Societal mechanisms result.
(d) Foundationalism results.
13. Butler describes feminists as often hoping for which of the following?
(a) Utopian revolution.
(b) Angry revolution.
(c) Masculine revolution.
(d) Poltiical revolution.
14. To Butler, worry arises that the idea of which of the following has no meaning?
15. Butler says the question of which of the following makes women a positive being?
(a) Metaphysics of determinism.
(b) Metaphysics of constraint.
(c) Metaphysics of bodies.
(d) Metaphysics of substance.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following terms does Butler use to describe oppression?
2. Butler believed that the definition of what word should be permanently deferred?
3. Levi-Strauss said that which of the following is the beginning of the divide between men and women?
4. Some sexuality is enhanced by which of the following, according to Butler?
5. Who does Butler lean toward in terms of gender asymmetry?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)