|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Gender Trouble, male-female distinction is compared to which distinction?
2. Butler believed that the definition of what word should be permanently deferred?
3. To Butler, looking for sexed nature prior to culture is a result of which of the following?
(a) Good intentions.
(b) High intelligence.
(c) Low intelligence.
(d) Bad intentions.
4. Butler says the question of which of the following makes women a positive being?
(a) Metaphysics of constraint.
(b) Metaphysics of substance.
(c) Metaphysics of determinism.
(d) Metaphysics of bodies.
5. Butler warns not to use identity as which of the following?
(a) A cause.
(b) A reason.
(c) A premise.
(d) An excuse.
6. Without recourse to some idea of power, which does Butler believe cannot be achieved?
(d) Power discourse.
7. Which of the following terms does Butler use to describe oppression?
8. Which is true, according to Foucault?
(a) Societal mechanisms are more important than identity.
(b) Society does not impact identity.
(c) Requirements precede identity.
(d) Entrapping assumptions are necessary.
9. Butler suggests that we may be able to speak of what type of person without masculine attributes?
10. Butler states that when feminism splits ideas of sex and gender, it also splits which of the following?
11. Who does Butler describe as concerning themselves with cultural laws and roles in oppression?
12. Butler's thesis is that well-defined and unified categories of women undermine the ability to represent which of the following?
13. Wittig wants which idea to be destroyed?
14. Butler claims that feminists should criticize in which manner?
15. Butler thinkss the definition of gender should be which of the following?
(a) Left open.
(c) Closed tightly.
(d) Closed loosly.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Butler, gender differentiates which of the following?
2. What does Butler want to see in relation to politics?
3. Butler describes which of these as not being inevitable?
4. Butler claims that the idea of conceiving sex in a concrete way supports which of these?
5. Butler claims that women are often identified with which of the following terms?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)