|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Levi-Strauss said that which of the following is the beginning of the divide between men and women?
(a) Forbidding incest.
(b) Allowing incest.
(c) Forbidding women to breastfeed.
(d) Allowing women to have an education.
2. According to Butler, oppression requires which of the following?
(a) A savior.
(b) A scapegoat.
(c) A villain.
(d) A hidden agent.
3. Butler claims that women are often identified with which of the following terms?
4. Butler states that if the distinction between sex and gender is pushed too far, the idea of gender becomes of the following?
(a) Disconnected from feminist politics.
(b) Disconnected from the body.
(c) Disconnected from feminism.
(d) Disconnected from destiny.
5. Butler claims that the idea of conceiving sex in a concrete way supports which of these?
6. What does the dominance of man express to Butler?
7. Which of the following describes power structures as Butler sees them?
(a) All patriarchal.
(b) Not all bad.
(c) Never patriarchal.
(d) All bad.
8. Butler says that feminist theory often looks for what type of person?
(a) An evil man.
(b) A villain.
(c) A scapegoat.
(d) A savior.
9. What term does Butler use to describe all sexuality straying from social laws?
10. Butler makes the claim that what type of genders produce coherence and continuity?
11. In Gender Trouble, male-female distinction is compared to which distinction?
12. Many feminists say that the idea of "woman" is which of the following?
(a) Not concrete.
(b) Not well-defined.
13. Butler claims that which of the following produce feminine identity?
(a) Feminist politics.
(b) Societal mechanisms.
(c) Entrapping assumptions.
14. According to Butler, insisting that unity of coalition requires totalizing a set of identity will undermine which of the following?
15. According to Butler, binary restrictions on sex are constructed to serve which of the following?
(a) Cumpulsory homosexuality.
(b) Voluntary heterosexuality.
(c) Compulsory heterosexuality.
(d) Forced homosexuality.
Short Answer Questions
1. Butler states that when feminism splits ideas of sex and gender, it also splits which of the following?
2. Butler describes which of these as not being inevitable?
3. Without recourse to some idea of power, which does Butler believe cannot be achieved?
4. Who does Butler lean toward in terms of gender asymmetry?
5. What is the first effect of counterexamples of well-defined concepts, as pointed out by Butler?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)