|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Butler warns not to use identity as which of the following?
(a) A reason.
(b) An excuse.
(c) A premise.
(d) A cause.
2. The process of construction, as described by Butler, is which of the following?
3. According to Butler, oppression requires which of the following?
(a) A hidden agent.
(b) A scapegoat.
(c) A savior.
(d) A villain.
4. Butler describes which of these as not being inevitable?
5. Butler describes the distinction between gender and sex as first being used to undermine which of the following?
(a) Biology vs. destiny.
(b) Science vs. religion.
(c) Future vs. past.
(d) Faith vs. destiny.
6. Butler describes the presumed existing feminine identity as which of the following?
7. Butler claims that which of these is needed for a point to hold?
(a) Ontology of liberation.
(b) Ontology of gender.
(c) Ontology of feminism.
(d) Ontology of sex.
8. What is the second effect of counterexamples of well-defined concepts, as pointed out by Butler?
(a) Undermines identity.
(b) Increases identity.
(c) Marginilizes people.
(d) Supports feminist politics.
9. What are theories referred to that produce ideas of social mechanisms of power?
10. Butler describes all sexuality as being constructed within which of the following?
(c) Power discourse.
(d) Societal mechanisms.
11. What do Beauvoir and Irigaray disagree on?
(a) How societal mechanisms create identity.
(b) How gender asymmetry is generated.
(c) How gender is presumed to be the same as sex.
(d) How sexality is a societal construction.
12. According to Butler, binary restrictions on sex are constructed to serve which of the following?
(a) Cumpulsory homosexuality.
(b) Voluntary heterosexuality.
(c) Forced homosexuality.
(d) Compulsory heterosexuality.
13. Irigaray's idea of feminine "sex" is described as including which of the following?
(a) Linguistic absence.
(b) Gender absence.
(c) Absence of constraint.
(d) Absence of construction.
14. Which of the following adjectives does Butler use to describe oppression?
15. Which of the following describes power structures as Butler sees them?
(a) Never patriarchal.
(b) Not all bad.
(c) All patriarchal.
(d) All bad.
Short Answer Questions
1. Many feminists believe that one must develop which of the following?
2. To understand gender identity, Butler states that we must know which of the following?
3. To Butler, worry arises that the idea of which of the following has no meaning?
4. What term does Butler use to describe all sexuality straying from social laws?
5. Butler makes the claim that which concept will probably end up being best understood as a bundle?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)