|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Peter returns from York, whom does he tell Harriet he was looking for?
2. Who proved that a man's thesis was untrue while at Flamborough College?
3. Who has told Dr. Threep about a poison pen letter?
4. Harriet is grabbed by what?
5. Whom does Harriet meet as she is entering Shrewsbury on the night of the prank call?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Harriet suspicious of Miss Hillyard at the end of Chapter 18?
2. What causes Peter and Harriet to disagree in Chapter 18?
3. How does Harriet respond to Pomfret's avowal of devotion?
4. What does Pomfret accuse Harriet of when he meets her in Chapter 12?
5. How is Harriet attacked?
6. How does Peter suggest that Harriet alter her novel?
7. How do Harriet and Peter examine the science lab?
8. What do Carrie and Annie notice about the science lab?
9. Describe Peter and Pomfret's first and second meetings.
10. Why does Harriet go to Miss de Vine's room in Chapter 21?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the "marriage question" that Harriet faces? How is it linked to the mystery Harriet solves? Does she answer it by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the three gifts that Peter has given Harriet. Compare the first two. What is significant about the third? How does Harriet react to each one?
Essay Topic 3
During the Gaudy Night, Harriet starts having feelings for Peter. Highlight four important events in their relationship during the book's time period and explain how they contribute to Harriet's accepting Peter's final proposal.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)