Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does the Dean call an incredibly beautiful young man?
2. When Harriet returns to the college, who is crying because of Miss Newland's disappearance?
3. When Peter returns from York, whom does he tell Harriet he was looking for?
4. What do Harriet and Miss Martin attend the morning after a big storm?
5. What do Harriet and the Dean find in the science lab?
Essay Topic 1
Both Pomfret and Peter propose to Harriet. Compare these two men in regard to the following areas: their personalities, their ages, their interactions with Harriet, and the success of their proposals.
Essay Topic 2
Detective fiction usually involves a central character who solves the mystery. In the case of Gaudy Night, however, it is not Harriet but Peter who solves the mystery. Which one do you think is the main character of the book?
Essay Topic 3
What is the "marriage question" that Harriet faces? How is it linked to the mystery Harriet solves? Does she answer it by the end of the book?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)