|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who first discovers that Miss Newland is missing?
2. Who tells the Dean about the figure in the science lab?
3. Who returns the slipper to Miss Hillyard?
4. When Harriet returns to the college, who is crying because of Miss Newland's disappearance?
5. What does Peter say was used to smash Harriet's property?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Harriet and Peter examine the science lab?
2. Is Miss Hillyard responsible for smashing Harriet's chess set?
3. Why does Miss de Vine have a heart attack?
4. How do Harriet and Peter spend the afternoon of his first day in Oxford?
5. What do the women discuss with Peter over coffee?
6. What causes Peter and Harriet to disagree in Chapter 18?
7. What does Pomfret accuse Harriet of when he meets her in Chapter 12?
8. What drives Miss Newland to madness?
9. Why does Harriet not return to Shrewsbury as soon as the Warden's maid calls her?
10. What do Carrie and Annie notice about the science lab?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a violent storm in Chapter 13. Explain the symbolism of the storm in regard to the preceding and proceeding events and the faculty members.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the three gifts that Peter has given Harriet. Compare the first two. What is significant about the third? How does Harriet react to each one?
Essay Topic 3
At one point, Peter tells Harriet to write her current mystery about human beings, not just a jigsaw puzzle. Has Dorothy Sayers done that? Support your answer with at least three references to the book.
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)