|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Peter believe will be the most likely targets of the culprit's next attack?
2. Who sees a light on in the science lab during the night?
3. Where does Peter ask Harriet to visit some day?
4. Who accuses Harriet of behaving inappropriately with Peter?
5. Whom does the Dean call an incredibly beautiful young man?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Peter know Padgett?
2. What does Pomfret accuse Harriet of when he meets her in Chapter 12?
3. How does Harriet respond to Pomfret's avowal of devotion?
4. How do Peter and Harriet spend their day together after he returns from York?
5. Why is Harriet surprised to see Peter in Oxford?
6. Why does Harriet contact Peter in Chapter 13?
7. What do the women discuss with Peter over coffee?
8. Why is Harriet suspicious of Miss Hillyard at the end of Chapter 18?
9. What causes the Warden to agree to seek professional help in solving the mystery?
10. What causes Peter and Harriet to disagree in Chapter 18?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character Miss Cattermole and the role she plays in the book. How does Harriet discover that she is innocent? How does Harriet have an influence on her life?
Essay Topic 2
At one point, Peter dines with the faculty members. Answer the following questions about this event.
1) What are two topics discussed during the evening, and what are the opinions given concerning those topics?
2) How does Peter use information he gathers from this evening to solve the mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the three gifts that Peter has given Harriet. Compare the first two. What is significant about the third? How does Harriet react to each one?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)