|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sets up a system of patrols in Chapter 12?
2. Where is Annie found in Chapter 21?
3. What does Peter buy Harriet as protection?
4. Who is involved in the search party for Miss Newland?
5. Who sees Miss Hillyard in the Fellows Garden on the night of the prank call?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Peter tell Harriet that he values about her, and why does this surprise her?
2. Describe Peter and Pomfret's first and second meetings.
3. How does Peter know Padgett?
4. Why does Peter not tell the Warden the name of his suspect?
5. Why does Harriet accuse Miss Hillyard of smashing her chess set?
6. What is the result of the search party for Miss Newland?
7. Why does Harriet go to Miss de Vine's room in Chapter 21?
8. Why are the women nervous about Peter dining with them in Chapter 17?
9. What drives Miss Newland to madness?
10. What causes the Warden to agree to seek professional help in solving the mystery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lord Saint-George proves more than an amusing character. Discuss his role in both the relationship between Harriet and Peter and the solving of the mystery.
Essay Topic 2
The Senior Common Room is the setting for many significant meetings and conversations. Choose two of these occasions and explain their significance to the book.
Essay Topic 3
At one point, Peter dines with the faculty members. Answer the following questions about this event.
1) What are two topics discussed during the evening, and what are the opinions given concerning those topics?
2) How does Peter use information he gathers from this evening to solve the mystery?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)