|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Dr. Threep's shirt-front?
2. While at a friend's, Harriet receives a call from a woman claiming to be whom?
3. Whom does Harriet meet as she is entering Shrewsbury on the night of the prank call?
4. How do Harriet and Peter spend the afternoon after he arrives in Oxford?
5. Who proved that a man's thesis was untrue while at Flamborough College?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harriet contact Peter in Chapter 13?
2. Describe Peter and Pomfret's first and second meetings.
3. What does Pomfret accuse Harriet of when he meets her in Chapter 12?
4. What does Peter tell Harriet that he values about her, and why does this surprise her?
5. Why is Harriet suspicious of Miss Hillyard at the end of Chapter 18?
6. How do Peter and Harriet spend their day together after he returns from York?
7. Why does Harriet go to Miss de Vine's room in Chapter 21?
8. What do the women discuss with Peter over coffee?
9. How does Peter suggest that Harriet alter her novel?
10. Is Miss Hillyard responsible for smashing Harriet's chess set?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the three gifts that Peter has given Harriet. Compare the first two. What is significant about the third? How does Harriet react to each one?
Essay Topic 2
During the Gaudy Night, Harriet starts having feelings for Peter. Highlight four important events in their relationship during the book's time period and explain how they contribute to Harriet's accepting Peter's final proposal.
Essay Topic 3
At one point, Peter tells Harriet to write her current mystery about human beings, not just a jigsaw puzzle. Has Dorothy Sayers done that? Support your answer with at least three references to the book.
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)