|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accuses Harriet of behaving inappropriately with Peter?
2. Whom does Peter ask to try to identify the culprit?
3. What do Harriet and Miss Martin attend the morning after a big storm?
4. How does Saint-George demonstrate that his arm has healed?
5. Which student does the Dean encourage to stop studying and take a break?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pomfret accuse Harriet of when he meets her in Chapter 12?
2. Describe Peter and Pomfret's first and second meetings.
3. What causes the Warden to agree to seek professional help in solving the mystery?
4. What causes Peter and Harriet to disagree in Chapter 18?
5. What does Peter tell Harriet that he values about her, and why does this surprise her?
6. What does Peter say about the mystery when Harriet shows him her notes at the river?
7. Why are the women nervous about Peter dining with them in Chapter 17?
8. How does Peter know Padgett?
9. What do the women discuss with Peter over coffee?
10. Why is Harriet surprised to see Peter in Oxford?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An element of detective fiction is that the author leaves obscure clues as to who is responsible. Find four of these clues from Gaudy Night and explain how they point to Annie as the culprit.
Essay Topic 2
At one point, Peter dines with the faculty members. Answer the following questions about this event.
1) What are two topics discussed during the evening, and what are the opinions given concerning those topics?
2) How does Peter use information he gathers from this evening to solve the mystery?
Essay Topic 3
At various times during the book, different members of the college are under suspicion. Choose two of these members. Explain their possible motives and reasons for them being under suspicion.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)