|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Harriet suspect to be spying on her and Peter?
2. With whom is Peter having lunch on Monday?
3. Who returns the slipper to Miss Hillyard?
4. Whom does Harriet meet as she is entering Shrewsbury on the night of the prank call?
5. Who has a heart attack?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Peter and Harriet to disagree in Chapter 18?
2. What causes the Warden to agree to seek professional help in solving the mystery?
3. Why does Peter not tell the Warden the name of his suspect?
4. How does Peter know Padgett?
5. What does Pomfret accuse Harriet of when he meets her in Chapter 12?
6. What do the women discuss with Peter over coffee?
7. Why is Harriet surprised to see Peter in Oxford?
8. What is Miss Edwards's opinion after Harriet tells her about the prank call?
9. Why does Harriet contact Peter in Chapter 13?
10. Why does Harriet accuse Miss Hillyard of smashing her chess set?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the Gaudy Night, Harriet starts having feelings for Peter. Highlight four important events in their relationship during the book's time period and explain how they contribute to Harriet's accepting Peter's final proposal.
Essay Topic 2
After her accusation, Annie proudly tells the women that she has created division between them. Yet, Peter tells the women that they defeated Annie's purpose by remaining united and keeping the issue confidential. Who do you think is correct, Peter or Annie? Support your answer with three examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Detective fiction usually involves a central character who solves the mystery. In the case of Gaudy Night, however, it is not Harriet but Peter who solves the mystery. Which one do you think is the main character of the book?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)