|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Harriet react to Pomfret's proposal after he has left her?
2. What do Harriet and Miss Martin attend the morning after a big storm?
3. What do Harriet and the Dean find in the science lab?
4. Who accuses Harriet of behaving inappropriately with Peter?
5. What happens to Dr. Threep's shirt-front?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harriet go to Miss de Vine's room in Chapter 21?
2. What causes Peter and Harriet to disagree in Chapter 18?
3. What is the result of the search party for Miss Newland?
4. What do the women discuss with Peter over coffee?
5. How does Peter know Padgett?
6. What drives Miss Newland to madness?
7. How does Peter suggest that Harriet alter her novel?
8. How do Harriet and Peter spend the afternoon of his first day in Oxford?
9. Why does Harriet accuse Miss Hillyard of smashing her chess set?
10. How do Peter and Harriet spend their day together after he returns from York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point, Peter dines with the faculty members. Answer the following questions about this event.
1) What are two topics discussed during the evening, and what are the opinions given concerning those topics?
2) How does Peter use information he gathers from this evening to solve the mystery?
Essay Topic 2
During her first visit Oxford, Harriet discovers a crude drawing. Answer the following questions.
1) What is on the drawing?
2) Having finished reading the book, how does this drawing show the motive of the culprit?
3) How does the timing of this incident point to the culprit?
Essay Topic 3
At various times during the book, different members of the college are under suspicion. Choose two of these members. Explain their possible motives and reasons for them being under suspicion.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)