|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Harriet and Peter spend the afternoon after he arrives in Oxford?
2. Who sets up a system of patrols in Chapter 12?
3. Who has told Dr. Threep about a poison pen letter?
4. Who once told Harriet that not verifying a source can lead to kidnapping?
5. What do Peter and Harriet discuss in the evening after the incident of the science lab?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Harriet respond to Pomfret's avowal of devotion?
2. Why is Harriet suspicious of Miss Hillyard at the end of Chapter 18?
3. What does Peter say about the mystery when Harriet shows him her notes at the river?
4. How do Peter and Harriet spend their day together after he returns from York?
5. What does Pomfret accuse Harriet of when he meets her in Chapter 12?
6. How is Harriet attacked?
7. Is Miss Hillyard responsible for smashing Harriet's chess set?
8. What causes the Warden to agree to seek professional help in solving the mystery?
9. Why does Harriet contact Peter in Chapter 13?
10. How does Peter know Padgett?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Annie is obviously the culprit, but it could be said that she is driven to her crimes. Answer the following questions.
1) Why does Annie attack Miss de Vine?
2) Why does Annie attack the college?
3) Are Annie's actions understandable?
4) If you were in charge of dealing with Annie, what would you do?
Essay Topic 2
There is a violent storm in Chapter 13. Explain the symbolism of the storm in regard to the preceding and proceeding events and the faculty members.
Essay Topic 3
Lord Saint-George proves more than an amusing character. Discuss his role in both the relationship between Harriet and Peter and the solving of the mystery.
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)