|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Harriet gain consciousness after her attack?
2. What does Harriet see on Miss Hillyard's carpet and slippers?
3. How is the culprit supposed to have exited the science lab?
4. How does Harriet react to Pomfret's proposal after he has left her?
5. As Peter and Harriet prepare to take coffee in the Senior Common Room, what does Peter ask Harriet to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harriet contact Peter in Chapter 13?
2. What do the women discuss with Peter over coffee?
3. Why does Harriet go to Miss de Vine's room in Chapter 21?
4. What is the result of the search party for Miss Newland?
5. How do Harriet and Peter examine the science lab?
6. What causes the Warden to agree to seek professional help in solving the mystery?
7. How does Peter know Padgett?
8. What do Carrie and Annie notice about the science lab?
9. What does Peter say about the mystery when Harriet shows him her notes at the river?
10. How does Harriet respond to Pomfret's avowal of devotion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point, Peter dines with the faculty members. Answer the following questions about this event.
1) What are two topics discussed during the evening, and what are the opinions given concerning those topics?
2) How does Peter use information he gathers from this evening to solve the mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Lord Saint-George proves more than an amusing character. Discuss his role in both the relationship between Harriet and Peter and the solving of the mystery.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the three gifts that Peter has given Harriet. Compare the first two. What is significant about the third? How does Harriet react to each one?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)