|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Harriet's acquaintances sees her and Peter on the river?
2. What do Harriet and Miss Martin attend the morning after a big storm?
3. What does Harriet tell the dean she feels like before Peter dines with them?
4. What happens to Dr. Threep's shirt-front?
5. After leaving the science lab, what does Peter say to Harriet?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Harriet attacked?
2. How does Peter know Padgett?
3. What drives Miss Newland to madness?
4. Why does Peter not tell the Warden the name of his suspect?
5. What does Peter say about the mystery when Harriet shows him her notes at the river?
6. What does Peter tell Harriet that he values about her, and why does this surprise her?
7. Why does Harriet accuse Miss Hillyard of smashing her chess set?
8. Why does Harriet contact Peter in Chapter 13?
9. Why does Harriet not return to Shrewsbury as soon as the Warden's maid calls her?
10. What causes Peter and Harriet to disagree in Chapter 18?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Annie is obviously the culprit, but it could be said that she is driven to her crimes. Answer the following questions.
1) Why does Annie attack Miss de Vine?
2) Why does Annie attack the college?
3) Are Annie's actions understandable?
4) If you were in charge of dealing with Annie, what would you do?
Essay Topic 2
At one point, Peter dines with the faculty members. Answer the following questions about this event.
1) What are two topics discussed during the evening, and what are the opinions given concerning those topics?
2) How does Peter use information he gathers from this evening to solve the mystery?
Essay Topic 3
After her accusation, Annie proudly tells the women that she has created division between them. Yet, Peter tells the women that they defeated Annie's purpose by remaining united and keeping the issue confidential. Who do you think is correct, Peter or Annie? Support your answer with three examples from the book.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)