|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Annie found in Chapter 21?
2. After leaving the science lab, what does Peter say to Harriet?
3. What has Miss Newland been receiving previous to her attempted suicide?
4. Who is involved in the search party for Miss Newland?
5. Who has a heart attack?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Peter suggest that Harriet alter her novel?
2. How do Harriet and Peter examine the science lab?
3. What do the women discuss with Peter over coffee?
4. What does Peter tell Harriet that he values about her, and why does this surprise her?
5. How does Peter know Padgett?
6. Why does Harriet not return to Shrewsbury as soon as the Warden's maid calls her?
7. Why does Miss de Vine have a heart attack?
8. Why does Harriet accuse Miss Hillyard of smashing her chess set?
9. What is Miss Edwards's opinion after Harriet tells her about the prank call?
10. What causes the Warden to agree to seek professional help in solving the mystery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Pomfret and Peter propose to Harriet. Compare these two men in regard to the following areas: their personalities, their ages, their interactions with Harriet, and the success of their proposals.
Essay Topic 2
Harriet agrees to help with the mystery at Shrewsbury because "there did come moments when all personal feelings had to be set aside in the interests of public service." Explain this statement and answer the following questions. How is this conclusion debated later when Peter has coffee in the Senior Common Room? What is an example of someone besides Harriet who does this?
Essay Topic 3
Lord Saint-George proves more than an amusing character. Discuss his role in both the relationship between Harriet and Peter and the solving of the mystery.
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)