|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who returns the slipper to Miss Hillyard?
2. When Peter returns from York, whom does he tell Harriet he was looking for?
3. Who proved that a man's thesis was untrue while at Flamborough College?
4. Whom does the Dean call an incredibly beautiful young man?
5. Who does Harriet first contact for professional help in solving the case?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Peter and Pomfret's first and second meetings.
2. What causes Peter and Harriet to disagree in Chapter 18?
3. Why does Harriet contact Peter in Chapter 13?
4. What does Pomfret accuse Harriet of when he meets her in Chapter 12?
5. What causes the Warden to agree to seek professional help in solving the mystery?
6. Why are the women nervous about Peter dining with them in Chapter 17?
7. How does Peter suggest that Harriet alter her novel?
8. What is the result of the search party for Miss Newland?
9. What do Carrie and Annie notice about the science lab?
10. Why is Harriet suspicious of Miss Hillyard at the end of Chapter 18?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During her first visit Oxford, Harriet discovers a crude drawing. Answer the following questions.
1) What is on the drawing?
2) Having finished reading the book, how does this drawing show the motive of the culprit?
3) How does the timing of this incident point to the culprit?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the three gifts that Peter has given Harriet. Compare the first two. What is significant about the third? How does Harriet react to each one?
Essay Topic 3
The Senior Common Room is the setting for many significant meetings and conversations. Choose two of these occasions and explain their significance to the book.
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)