|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peter's assistant find on the floor in the science lab?
2. Who awakens Harriet Sunday night?
3. Why does Peter take Harriet to an isolated field?
4. Which student does the Dean encourage to stop studying and take a break?
5. What do Peter and Harriet discuss in the evening after the incident of the science lab?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harriet not return to Shrewsbury as soon as the Warden's maid calls her?
2. What is Miss Edwards's opinion after Harriet tells her about the prank call?
3. Why does Miss de Vine have a heart attack?
4. Is Miss Hillyard responsible for smashing Harriet's chess set?
5. How does Peter know Padgett?
6. What do the women discuss with Peter over coffee?
7. Why is Harriet suspicious of Miss Hillyard at the end of Chapter 18?
8. How does Peter suggest that Harriet alter her novel?
9. What does Peter say about the mystery when Harriet shows him her notes at the river?
10. Describe Peter and Pomfret's first and second meetings.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point, Peter dines with the faculty members. Answer the following questions about this event.
1) What are two topics discussed during the evening, and what are the opinions given concerning those topics?
2) How does Peter use information he gathers from this evening to solve the mystery?
Essay Topic 2
After her accusation, Annie proudly tells the women that she has created division between them. Yet, Peter tells the women that they defeated Annie's purpose by remaining united and keeping the issue confidential. Who do you think is correct, Peter or Annie? Support your answer with three examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the three gifts that Peter has given Harriet. Compare the first two. What is significant about the third? How does Harriet react to each one?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)