|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Peter take Harriet to an isolated field?
2. Where does Peter take Harriet after he returns from York?
3. Who has a heart attack?
4. Where does Peter ask Harriet to visit some day?
5. What do Harriet and Miss Martin attend the morning after a big storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Harriet and Peter spend the afternoon of his first day in Oxford?
2. What drives Miss Newland to madness?
3. Why does Harriet not return to Shrewsbury as soon as the Warden's maid calls her?
4. Why does Harriet contact Peter in Chapter 13?
5. Is Miss Hillyard responsible for smashing Harriet's chess set?
6. How do Harriet and Peter examine the science lab?
7. What do the women discuss with Peter over coffee?
8. Why does Harriet accuse Miss Hillyard of smashing her chess set?
9. What does Peter say about the mystery when Harriet shows him her notes at the river?
10. Why does Miss de Vine have a heart attack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Pomfret and Peter propose to Harriet. Compare these two men in regard to the following areas: their personalities, their ages, their interactions with Harriet, and the success of their proposals.
Essay Topic 2
Annie is obviously the culprit, but it could be said that she is driven to her crimes. Answer the following questions.
1) Why does Annie attack Miss de Vine?
2) Why does Annie attack the college?
3) Are Annie's actions understandable?
4) If you were in charge of dealing with Annie, what would you do?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the three gifts that Peter has given Harriet. Compare the first two. What is significant about the third? How does Harriet react to each one?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)