|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sees Miss Hillyard in the Fellows Garden on the night of the prank call?
2. Who accuses Harriet of behaving inappropriately with Peter?
3. When Peter returns from York, whom does he tell Harriet he was looking for?
4. At what point does Miss Newland jump out of the canoe?
5. With whom is Peter having lunch on Monday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Peter tell Harriet that he values about her, and why does this surprise her?
2. Why does Harriet accuse Miss Hillyard of smashing her chess set?
3. Why is Harriet suspicious of Miss Hillyard at the end of Chapter 18?
4. Why does Miss de Vine have a heart attack?
5. What does Peter say about the mystery when Harriet shows him her notes at the river?
6. What causes the Warden to agree to seek professional help in solving the mystery?
7. What drives Miss Newland to madness?
8. What do the women discuss with Peter over coffee?
9. How does Peter know Padgett?
10. How do Harriet and Peter spend the afternoon of his first day in Oxford?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Annie is obviously the culprit, but it could be said that she is driven to her crimes. Answer the following questions.
1) Why does Annie attack Miss de Vine?
2) Why does Annie attack the college?
3) Are Annie's actions understandable?
4) If you were in charge of dealing with Annie, what would you do?
Essay Topic 2
There is a violent storm in Chapter 13. Explain the symbolism of the storm in regard to the preceding and proceeding events and the faculty members.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character Miss Cattermole and the role she plays in the book. How does Harriet discover that she is innocent? How does Harriet have an influence on her life?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)