|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does the Dean call an incredibly beautiful young man?
2. When Harriet returns to the college, who is crying because of Miss Newland's disappearance?
3. When Peter returns from York, whom does he tell Harriet he was looking for?
4. What do Harriet and Miss Martin attend the morning after a big storm?
5. What do Harriet and the Dean find in the science lab?
Essay Topic 1
At one point, Peter tells Harriet to write her current mystery about human beings, not just a jigsaw puzzle. Has Dorothy Sayers done that? Support your answer with at least three references to the book.
Essay Topic 2
During the Gaudy Night, Harriet starts having feelings for Peter. Highlight four important events in their relationship during the book's time period and explain how they contribute to Harriet's accepting Peter's final proposal.
Essay Topic 3
At various times during the book, different members of the college are under suspicion. Choose two of these members. Explain their possible motives and reasons for them being under suspicion.
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)