|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which student stole Miss Cattermole's fiancé?
2. Whom does Harriet find climbing up a wall of the college in the middle of the night?
3. What happens to Shrewsbury College while the lights are out due to removed fuses?
4. What event does Harriet first attend when she visits Shrewsbury College?
5. After the Gaudy Dinner, who invites Harriet for coffee?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about April 1st?
2. Harriet drives to Oxford to attend the opening of the new library and to investigate which incidents?
3. What does Harriet learn from Arbuthnot about Peter?
4. Why is Sunday the best part of a Gaudy?
5. How does Saint-George embarrass himself in front of Harriet?
6. What happens while the lights are out at Shrewsbury in Chapter 9?
7. How does Harriet handle the vandalism of the New Library?
8. What happens to Jukes in Chapter 9?
9. What does Harriet find amusing about the invitation to Farringdon's party?
10. In Chapter 1, what are Harriet's emotions as she returns to Shrewsbury College?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At various times during the book, different members of the college are under suspicion. Choose two of these members. Explain their possible motives and reasons for them being under suspicion.
Essay Topic 2
What is the "marriage question" that Harriet faces? How is it linked to the mystery Harriet solves? Does she answer it by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Both Pomfret and Peter propose to Harriet. Compare these two men in regard to the following areas: their personalities, their ages, their interactions with Harriet, and the success of their proposals.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)