|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Harriet notice a suspicious light on in the New Library?
2. What is Miss Lydgate clutching as the lights go off across the Quad?
3. While investigating the light in the New Library, Harriet runs into a student doing what?
4. Several of Harriet's classmates ask her about which Lord?
5. Whom does Miss Hillyard accuse of the acts of vandalism?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, which two subjects had Harriet hoped not to think about at Oxford? Does she?
2. Why does the hanging figure incident clear Miss Cattermole's name?
3. Why is Sunday the best part of a Gaudy?
4. In Chapter 2, what does Harriet talk about while having coffee with the Dean and her other classmates?
5. How does Harriet handle the vandalism of the New Library?
6. How have Harriet's classmates changed from when they graduated to when she saw them again at the unveiling of the clock?
7. How does Harriet find the disaster in the New Library the night before its opening?
8. How do Harriet's classmates and former professors receive her?
9. What does Harriet learn from Arbuthnot about Peter?
10. Why does Harriet tell Saint-George about the poltergeist in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During her first visit Oxford, Harriet discovers a crude drawing. Answer the following questions.
1) What is on the drawing?
2) Having finished reading the book, how does this drawing show the motive of the culprit?
3) How does the timing of this incident point to the culprit?
Essay Topic 2
The Senior Common Room is the setting for many significant meetings and conversations. Choose two of these occasions and explain their significance to the book.
Essay Topic 3
Detective fiction usually involves a central character who solves the mystery. In the case of Gaudy Night, however, it is not Harriet but Peter who solves the mystery. Which one do you think is the main character of the book?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)