|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which maid at Shrewsbury College is a widow with two children?
2. In which language is the note that Harriet found on the hanging figure?
3. When does Harriet notice a suspicious light on in the New Library?
4. Whom does Harriet find lying on the ground drunk in the middle of the night?
5. While having coffee after the Gaudy Dinner, who questions Harriet about the type of books she writes?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what are Harriet's emotions as she returns to Shrewsbury College?
2. In the meeting that takes place during Chapter 5, why is it concluded that the culprit must be a resident at Oxford?
3. How does Harriet find the disaster in the New Library the night before its opening?
4. Does Harriet learn anything about the poltergeist from the night when the fuses were removed?
5. Why does the hanging figure incident clear Miss Cattermole's name?
6. In Chapter 2, what does Harriet talk about while having coffee with the Dean and her other classmates?
7. What happens to Jukes in Chapter 9?
8. How do Harriet's classmates and former professors receive her?
9. How have Harriet's classmates changed from when they graduated to when she saw them again at the unveiling of the clock?
10. How does Harriet handle the vandalism of the New Library?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Pomfret and Peter propose to Harriet. Compare these two men in regard to the following areas: their personalities, their ages, their interactions with Harriet, and the success of their proposals.
Essay Topic 2
The issue of women's education versus domesticity occurs frequently in Gaudy Night. Even Harriet is at one time disposed to believe that the culprit is one of the female dons who has gone mad from learning and suppressed sexual desires. How is it ironic that Annie, a married uneducated women, is the mad culprit? Is Dorothy Sayers conveying a message through this? In your answer, consider the author's own life experience.
Essay Topic 3
Compare author Dorothy Sayers with character Harriet Vane. Use at least three specific details in your comparison.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)