Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Miss Pyke discovers that what is missing right before she has to lecture?
2. Several of Harriet's classmates ask her about which Lord?
3. What do the police find when they raid Juke's home in Chapter 9?
4. Who proposes to Harriet at regular intervals?
5. Where had the gowns been burnt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the Warden to agree to seek professional help in solving the mystery?
2. How does Saint-George embarrass himself in front of Harriet?
3. What does Harriet choose to tell the faculty about the figure hanging in the chapel?
4. Harriet drives to Oxford to attend the opening of the new library and to investigate which incidents?
5. Why does Harriet tell Saint-George about the poltergeist in Chapter 10?
6. Why does Harriet contact Peter in Chapter 13?
7. Why does Harriet find it difficult to write to Peter after visiting Saint-George in the hospital?
8. How does Harriet handle the vandalism of the New Library?
9. How does Peter propose to Harriet for the last time?
10. What is the result of the search party for Miss Newland?
What is the "marriage question" that Harriet faces? How is it linked to the mystery Harriet solves? Does she answer it by the end of the book?
At one point, Peter tells Harriet to write her current mystery about human beings, not just a jigsaw puzzle. Has Dorothy Sayers done that? Support your answer with at least three references to the book.
There is a violent storm in Chapter 13. Explain the symbolism of the storm in regard to the preceding and proceeding events and the faculty members.
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)