|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Harriet find a robed figure hanging from the ceiling?
2. What is Harriet daydreaming about in the first paragraph of The Gaudy Night?
3. After the Gaudy Dinner, who invites Harriet for coffee?
4. What is Harriet doing when the lights go out in Tudor?
5. Which old classmate of Harriet's is an archaeologist?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens while the lights are out at Shrewsbury in Chapter 9?
2. How do Harriet's classmates and former professors receive her?
3. Why does Harriet tell Saint-George about the poltergeist in Chapter 10?
4. How does Saint-George embarrass himself in front of Harriet?
5. In the meeting that takes place during Chapter 5, why is it concluded that the culprit must be a resident at Oxford?
6. In Chapter 3, which two subjects had Harriet hoped not to think about at Oxford? Does she?
7. What does Harriet learn from Arbuthnot about Peter?
8. Why is Sunday the best part of a Gaudy?
9. How does Harriet handle the vandalism of the New Library?
10. Why does Harriet find it difficult to write to Peter after visiting Saint-George in the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the three gifts that Peter has given Harriet. Compare the first two. What is significant about the third? How does Harriet react to each one?
Essay Topic 2
At various times during the book, different members of the college are under suspicion. Choose two of these members. Explain their possible motives and reasons for them being under suspicion.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character Miss Cattermole and the role she plays in the book. How does Harriet discover that she is innocent? How does Harriet have an influence on her life?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)