Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Miss Pyke discovers that what is missing right before she has to lecture?
2. Several of Harriet's classmates ask her about which Lord?
3. What do the police find when they raid Juke's home in Chapter 9?
4. Who proposes to Harriet at regular intervals?
5. Where had the gowns been burnt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the Warden to agree to seek professional help in solving the mystery?
2. How does Saint-George embarrass himself in front of Harriet?
3. What does Harriet choose to tell the faculty about the figure hanging in the chapel?
4. Harriet drives to Oxford to attend the opening of the new library and to investigate which incidents?
5. Why does Harriet tell Saint-George about the poltergeist in Chapter 10?
6. Why does Harriet contact Peter in Chapter 13?
7. Why does Harriet find it difficult to write to Peter after visiting Saint-George in the hospital?
8. How does Harriet handle the vandalism of the New Library?
9. How does Peter propose to Harriet for the last time?
10. What is the result of the search party for Miss Newland?
Essay Topic 1
At various times during the book, different members of the college are under suspicion. Choose two of these members. Explain their possible motives and reasons for them being under suspicion.
Essay Topic 2
Both Pomfret and Peter propose to Harriet. Compare these two men in regard to the following areas: their personalities, their ages, their interactions with Harriet, and the success of their proposals.
Essay Topic 3
Detective fiction usually involves a central character who solves the mystery. In the case of Gaudy Night, however, it is not Harriet but Peter who solves the mystery. Which one do you think is the main character of the book?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)