|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Miss Pyke discovers that what is missing right before she has to lecture?
2. Several of Harriet's classmates ask her about which Lord?
3. What do the police find when they raid Juke's home in Chapter 9?
4. Who proposes to Harriet at regular intervals?
5. Where had the gowns been burnt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the Warden to agree to seek professional help in solving the mystery?
2. How does Saint-George embarrass himself in front of Harriet?
3. What does Harriet choose to tell the faculty about the figure hanging in the chapel?
4. Harriet drives to Oxford to attend the opening of the new library and to investigate which incidents?
5. Why does Harriet tell Saint-George about the poltergeist in Chapter 10?
6. Why does Harriet contact Peter in Chapter 13?
7. Why does Harriet find it difficult to write to Peter after visiting Saint-George in the hospital?
8. How does Harriet handle the vandalism of the New Library?
9. How does Peter propose to Harriet for the last time?
10. What is the result of the search party for Miss Newland?
Essay Topic 1
The Senior Common Room is the setting for many significant meetings and conversations. Choose two of these occasions and explain their significance to the book.
Essay Topic 2
Lord Saint-George proves more than an amusing character. Discuss his role in both the relationship between Harriet and Peter and the solving of the mystery.
Essay Topic 3
There is a violent storm in Chapter 13. Explain the symbolism of the storm in regard to the preceding and proceeding events and the faculty members.
This section contains 1,477 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)