Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Miss Pyke discovers that what is missing right before she has to lecture?
2. Several of Harriet's classmates ask her about which Lord?
3. What do the police find when they raid Juke's home in Chapter 9?
4. Who proposes to Harriet at regular intervals?
5. Where had the gowns been burnt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the Warden to agree to seek professional help in solving the mystery?
2. How does Saint-George embarrass himself in front of Harriet?
3. What does Harriet choose to tell the faculty about the figure hanging in the chapel?
4. Harriet drives to Oxford to attend the opening of the new library and to investigate which incidents?
5. Why does Harriet tell Saint-George about the poltergeist in Chapter 10?
6. Why does Harriet contact Peter in Chapter 13?
7. Why does Harriet find it difficult to write to Peter after visiting Saint-George in the hospital?
8. How does Harriet handle the vandalism of the New Library?
9. How does Peter propose to Harriet for the last time?
10. What is the result of the search party for Miss Newland?
Essay Topic 1
Lord Saint-George proves more than an amusing character. Discuss his role in both the relationship between Harriet and Peter and the solving of the mystery.
Essay Topic 2
What is the "marriage question" that Harriet faces? How is it linked to the mystery Harriet solves? Does she answer it by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
After her accusation, Annie proudly tells the women that she has created division between them. Yet, Peter tells the women that they defeated Annie's purpose by remaining united and keeping the issue confidential. Who do you think is correct, Peter or Annie? Support your answer with three examples from the book.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)