|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When telling her about the New Library vandalism, what does Harriet smell in Miss Burrow the librarian's room?
2. Who walks with Harriet back to her room after having coffee?
3. After Harriet notices the light on in the New Library, whose room does she find empty?
4. On the way back to her room after having coffee, what does Harriet find?
5. What has Peter broken when he takes Harriet to dinner after her return from Oxford?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 7, why does Harriet hide a man in the chapel during the middle of the night?
2. In Chapter 3, which two subjects had Harriet hoped not to think about at Oxford? Does she?
3. Why does the hanging figure incident clear Miss Cattermole's name?
4. In Chapter 2, what does Harriet talk about while having coffee with the Dean and her other classmates?
5. Why is Sunday the best part of a Gaudy?
6. What does Harriet find amusing about the invitation to Farringdon's party?
7. Why does Harriet tell Saint-George about the poltergeist in Chapter 10?
8. In Chapter 5, what do the Dean and Harriet conclude from the absence of spelling mistakes in the poison pen letters?
9. How do Harriet's classmates and former professors receive her?
10. Why does Miss Martin, Dean at Shrewsbury College, write a letter to Harriet in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Pomfret and Peter propose to Harriet. Compare these two men in regard to the following areas: their personalities, their ages, their interactions with Harriet, and the success of their proposals.
Essay Topic 2
At one point, Peter dines with the faculty members. Answer the following questions about this event.
1) What are two topics discussed during the evening, and what are the opinions given concerning those topics?
2) How does Peter use information he gathers from this evening to solve the mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character Miss Cattermole and the role she plays in the book. How does Harriet discover that she is innocent? How does Harriet have an influence on her life?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)