|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who finishes the sonnet that Harriet began writing?
(c) Miss Martin.
(d) Miss Lydgate.
2. What has Miss Newland been receiving previous to her attempted suicide?
(a) Poison pen letters.
(d) Telephone calls.
3. At what point does Miss Newland jump out of the canoe?
(a) Before the search party finds her.
(b) She does not jump out of the canoe.
(c) When she is approaching the waterfall.
(d) When she sees the search party coming.
4. While at a friend's, Harriet receives a call from a woman claiming to be whom?
(a) The Dean's maid.
(b) The Warden's sister.
(c) Mrs. Padgett.
(d) The Warden's maid.
5. What does Peter refuse to discuss with the Warden?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Peter believe will be the most likely targets of the culprit's next attack?
2. What do Peter and Harriet discuss in the evening after the incident of the science lab?
3. When Peter returns from York, whom does he tell Harriet he was looking for?
4. Who has told Dr. Threep about a poison pen letter?
5. Whom does Harriet suspect to be spying on her and Peter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Peter know Padgett?
2. How do Peter and Harriet spend their day together after he returns from York?
3. Why is Harriet suspicious of Miss Hillyard at the end of Chapter 18?
4. Why does Harriet go to Miss de Vine's room in Chapter 21?
5. Why does Miss de Vine have a heart attack?
6. What drives Miss Newland to madness?
7. Is Miss Hillyard responsible for smashing Harriet's chess set?
8. How do Harriet and Peter spend the afternoon of his first day in Oxford?
9. Why does Harriet contact Peter in Chapter 13?
10. Why does Harriet accuse Miss Hillyard of smashing her chess set?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)