|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the second gift that Harriet allows Peter to buy her?
(a) A chess set.
(b) A horse.
(c) A `dog.
(d) A piano.
2. What does Harriet see on Miss Hillyard's carpet and slippers?
(a) Cut-out letters.
(b) Slivers of ivory.
(c) Slivers of glass.
3. When Harriet returns to the college, who is crying because of Miss Newland's disappearance?
(a) Miss Edwards.
(b) Miss Shaw.
(c) Miss Martin.
4. Who has told Dr. Threep about a poison pen letter?
(a) The Dean.
(c) The Warden.
(d) The Vice-Chancellor.
5. Why does Peter take Harriet to an isolated field?
(a) To propose to her.
(b) To have a picnic.
(c) To discuss the case in private.
(d) To teach her self-defense.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peter buy Harriet as protection?
2. What is the age difference between Pomfret and Harriet?
3. What do Harriet and the Dean find in the science lab?
4. Who does Harriet first contact for professional help in solving the case?
5. Who returns the slipper to Miss Hillyard?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Harriet and Peter examine the science lab?
2. Why is Harriet suspicious of Miss Hillyard at the end of Chapter 18?
3. Why are the women nervous about Peter dining with them in Chapter 17?
4. What does Peter tell Harriet that he values about her, and why does this surprise her?
5. What causes the Warden to agree to seek professional help in solving the mystery?
6. Why does Harriet accuse Miss Hillyard of smashing her chess set?
7. Why does Harriet not return to Shrewsbury as soon as the Warden's maid calls her?
8. How do Harriet and Peter spend the afternoon of his first day in Oxford?
9. Why does Harriet go to Miss de Vine's room in Chapter 21?
10. Why does Miss de Vine have a heart attack?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)