|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Peter thank Harriet for?
(a) Meeting him in London.
(b) Solving the case.
(c) Being kind to Saint-George.
(d) Accepting his proposal.
2. Who once told Harriet that not verifying a source can lead to kidnapping?
(a) The police.
(b) Harriet's uncle.
(c) Miss Martin.
3. Who finishes the sonnet that Harriet began writing?
(b) Miss Martin.
(c) Miss Lydgate.
4. Where do Harriet and Peter meet the afternoon after he comes to Oxford?
(a) London Bridge.
(b) The chapel.
(c) The New Library.
(d) The Magdalen Bridge.
5. What does Harriet put on before going to Miss de Vine's room?
(a) A coat.
(b) Her slippers.
(c) A dog collar.
(d) A holster.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Harriet and Miss Martin attend the morning after a big storm?
2. What is the age difference between Pomfret and Harriet?
3. Who proved that a man's thesis was untrue while at Flamborough College?
4. Whom does Peter ask to try to identify the culprit?
5. At what point does Miss Newland jump out of the canoe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the result of the search party for Miss Newland?
2. What causes the Warden to agree to seek professional help in solving the mystery?
3. Why are the women nervous about Peter dining with them in Chapter 17?
4. How does Harriet respond to Pomfret's avowal of devotion?
5. Why does Harriet contact Peter in Chapter 13?
6. What does Peter tell Harriet that he values about her, and why does this surprise her?
7. How does Peter suggest that Harriet alter her novel?
8. Describe Peter and Pomfret's first and second meetings.
9. Is Miss Hillyard responsible for smashing Harriet's chess set?
10. Why does Peter not tell the Warden the name of his suspect?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)