|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Peter say is the only gift that Harriet's allowed him to buy for her?
(a) A book.
(c) A dog collar.
(d) A horse saddle.
2. How is the culprit supposed to have exited the science lab?
(a) Through the door.
(b) Through the window.
(c) Through the basement.
(d) Through the vent.
3. What does Peter's assistant find on the floor in the science lab?
(a) A shoe.
(b) A note.
(c) A hairpin.
(d) A cap.
4. When Harriet returns to the college, who is crying because of Miss Newland's disappearance?
(a) Miss Edwards.
(c) Miss Martin.
(d) Miss Shaw.
5. Who served in the military with Peter?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Saint-George demonstrate that his arm has healed?
2. Who asks Mrs. Goodwin not to go?
3. Whom does Peter ask to try to identify the culprit?
4. What do Peter and Harriet discuss in the evening after the incident of the science lab?
5. As Peter and Harriet prepare to take coffee in the Senior Common Room, what does Peter ask Harriet to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Peter tell Harriet that he values about her, and why does this surprise her?
2. Why are the women nervous about Peter dining with them in Chapter 17?
3. What is the result of the search party for Miss Newland?
4. Why does Harriet not return to Shrewsbury as soon as the Warden's maid calls her?
5. Why does Miss de Vine have a heart attack?
6. Why does Harriet accuse Miss Hillyard of smashing her chess set?
7. How does Peter suggest that Harriet alter her novel?
8. What does Pomfret accuse Harriet of when he meets her in Chapter 12?
9. What drives Miss Newland to madness?
10. Why is Harriet surprised to see Peter in Oxford?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)