|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sets up a system of patrols in Chapter 12?
(a) Padgett, Harriet, and Peter.
(b) Hired detectives.
(c) The policeman.
(d) Miss Martin, Harriet, Miss Lydgate, and Miss Edwards.
2. Who asks Peter if he is comfortable in his occupation of catching murderers?
(a) Miss Hillyard.
(c) Miss Martin.
(d) Miss Barton.
3. Who awakens Harriet Sunday night?
(a) Carrie and Annie.
(b) Miss Hillyard.
(c) Miss Martin.
4. What is missing the night that Miss Newland disappears?
(a) A boathouse key.
(b) A car.
(c) The gate key.
(d) A book.
5. Where does Peter ask Harriet to visit some day?
(a) His home in Rome.
(b) His birthplace in Denver.
(d) His office in Warsaw.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Harriet suspect to be spying on her and Peter?
2. What does Harriet ask Peter in the letter she sends him in Chapter 13?
3. Why does Peter take Harriet to an isolated field?
4. After leaving the science lab, what does Peter say to Harriet?
5. Who does Harriet first contact for professional help in solving the case?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the result of the search party for Miss Newland?
2. Describe Peter and Pomfret's first and second meetings.
3. How is Harriet attacked?
4. What causes the Warden to agree to seek professional help in solving the mystery?
5. Why is Harriet surprised to see Peter in Oxford?
6. How do Harriet and Peter examine the science lab?
7. How do Peter and Harriet spend their day together after he returns from York?
8. Why is Harriet suspicious of Miss Hillyard at the end of Chapter 18?
9. What does Pomfret accuse Harriet of when he meets her in Chapter 12?
10. What causes Peter and Harriet to disagree in Chapter 18?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)