|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sets up a system of patrols in Chapter 12?
(a) Miss Martin, Harriet, Miss Lydgate, and Miss Edwards.
(b) Padgett, Harriet, and Peter.
(c) The policeman.
(d) Hired detectives.
2. Which student does the Dean encourage to stop studying and take a break?
(a) Miss Newland.
(d) Miss Casttermole.
3. Where do Harriet and Peter meet the afternoon after he comes to Oxford?
(a) The Magdalen Bridge.
(b) London Bridge.
(c) The chapel.
(d) The New Library.
4. How do Harriet and Peter spend the afternoon after he arrives in Oxford?
(b) Driving his motorcar.
(c) Discussing the case in her room.
(d) Punting on the river.
5. What does Peter say was used to smash Harriet's property?
(a) A hammer.
(b) A bat.
(c) A Cuban and French heel.
(d) A fire poker.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says that she is submitting her resignation and that she is not the cause of the problems at the college?
2. What happens to Dr. Threep's shirt-front?
3. What does Peter refuse to discuss with the Warden?
4. While at a friend's, Harriet receives a call from a woman claiming to be whom?
5. Who is involved in the search party for Miss Newland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Harriet surprised to see Peter in Oxford?
2. How do Harriet and Peter spend the afternoon of his first day in Oxford?
3. Why does Harriet not return to Shrewsbury as soon as the Warden's maid calls her?
4. How does Peter know Padgett?
5. What drives Miss Newland to madness?
6. Why does Miss de Vine have a heart attack?
7. Why does Harriet contact Peter in Chapter 13?
8. What causes Peter and Harriet to disagree in Chapter 18?
9. What do the women discuss with Peter over coffee?
10. Why are the women nervous about Peter dining with them in Chapter 17?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)