|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does the Dean call an incredibly beautiful young man?
2. Who awakens Harriet Sunday night?
(a) Miss Hillyard.
(b) Carrie and Annie.
(d) Miss Martin.
3. Who does Harriet first contact for professional help in solving the case?
(a) Scotland Yard.
(b) A private detective firm.
(c) The police.
4. What do Peter and Harriet discuss in the evening after the incident of the science lab?
(b) The mystery.
(c) The weather.
5. Who sees a light on in the science lab during the night?
(b) Miss Martin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Harriet to tell her that he spotted the culprit?
2. What do Harriet and the Dean find in the science lab?
3. Who tells the Dean about the figure in the science lab?
4. What happens to Dr. Threep's shirt-front?
5. What does Harriet see on Miss Hillyard's carpet and slippers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Peter not tell the Warden the name of his suspect?
2. What do the women discuss with Peter over coffee?
3. Why is Harriet suspicious of Miss Hillyard at the end of Chapter 18?
4. How does Harriet respond to Pomfret's avowal of devotion?
5. Why is Harriet surprised to see Peter in Oxford?
6. What causes the Warden to agree to seek professional help in solving the mystery?
7. What does Pomfret accuse Harriet of when he meets her in Chapter 12?
8. How do Harriet and Peter examine the science lab?
9. Why does Harriet not return to Shrewsbury as soon as the Warden's maid calls her?
10. What does Peter tell Harriet that he values about her, and why does this surprise her?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)