|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Peter returns from York, whom does he tell Harriet he was looking for?
(a) Thomas Penn.
(c) Miss de Vine.
(d) Arthur Robinson.
2. Why does Peter take Harriet to an isolated field?
(a) To discuss the case in private.
(b) To teach her self-defense.
(c) To have a picnic.
(d) To propose to her.
3. What does Peter say was used to smash Harriet's property?
(a) A Cuban and French heel.
(b) A bat.
(c) A hammer.
(d) A fire poker.
4. Whom does Harriet meet as she is entering Shrewsbury on the night of the prank call?
(b) The culprit.
(c) The Dean.
(d) The Warden.
5. How long does Peter sleep while Harriet watches boats on the river?
(a) Twenty minutes.
(b) Two hours.
(c) Four hours.
(d) One hour.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Harriet returns to the college, who is crying because of Miss Newland's disappearance?
2. Who awakens Harriet Sunday night?
3. What is starting at the beginning of Chapter 12?
4. What does Harriet see on Miss Hillyard's carpet and slippers?
5. Whom does the Dean call an incredibly beautiful young man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pomfret accuse Harriet of when he meets her in Chapter 12?
2. How do Harriet and Peter examine the science lab?
3. Why is Harriet suspicious of Miss Hillyard at the end of Chapter 18?
4. What do the women discuss with Peter over coffee?
5. What is Miss Edwards's opinion after Harriet tells her about the prank call?
6. How does Peter know Padgett?
7. Why are the women nervous about Peter dining with them in Chapter 17?
8. Why is Harriet surprised to see Peter in Oxford?
9. How does Harriet respond to Pomfret's avowal of devotion?
10. Why does Harriet go to Miss de Vine's room in Chapter 21?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)