|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is knocked down and bruised while the lights are out?
(b) Miss Lydgate.
(c) The Dean.
(d) Miss Barton.
2. What does Harriet read about Shrewsbury College in a newspaper?
(a) The college was being shut down.
(b) A manuscript had been mutilated.
(c) There had been a bonfire of gowns.
(d) Students had received hate mail.
3. At the end of Chapter 8, where does Harriet go for a soothing influence?
(a) Shrewsbury Chapel.
(d) Christ Church.
4. What does Harriet attend at the beginning of the summer term?
(a) A cricket match.
(b) The opening of the New Library.
(c) A dance.
(d) The Magdalen Mayday ceremony.
5. What do the police find when they raid Juke's home in Chapter 9?
(a) Poison pen letters.
(c) Miss Lydgate's manuscript.
(d) Items stolen from students.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Saint-George the second time Harriet sees him?
2. While having coffee after the Gaudy Dinner, who questions Harriet about the type of books she writes?
3. Why does Mrs. Goodwin not return at the beginning of the summer term?
4. While investigating the light in the New Library, Harriet runs into a student doing what?
5. How does Peter's April 1st proposal come to Harriet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about April 1st?
2. What happens while the lights are out at Shrewsbury in Chapter 9?
3. In Chapter 1, what are Harriet's emotions as she returns to Shrewsbury College?
4. What happens to Jukes in Chapter 9?
5. What does Harriet choose to tell the faculty about the figure hanging in the chapel?
6. How do Harriet's classmates and former professors receive her?
7. How does Saint-George embarrass himself in front of Harriet?
8. In Chapter 2, what does Harriet talk about while having coffee with the Dean and her other classmates?
9. In Chapter 5, what do the Dean and Harriet conclude from the absence of spelling mistakes in the poison pen letters?
10. In Chapter 3, which two subjects had Harriet hoped not to think about at Oxford? Does she?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)