|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many colleges have been vandalized?
(a) Shrewsbury and three other Oxford colleges.
(b) Shrewsbury and New College.
(c) Just Shrewsbury.
(d) Shrewsbury and two other women's colleges.
2. Who tries to blackmail Pomfret for climbing over the college wall?
(a) The Dean.
3. How does Harriet arrive at Oxford in Chapter 1?
(a) By car.
(b) By train.
(c) By plane.
(d) By bus.
4. Where does Harriet send Pomfret the morning after she meets him?
(a) To the chemist's.
(b) To his dormitory.
(c) To the police.
(d) To the Dean's office.
5. In Chapter 7, Harriet is returning from where?
(a) A dance.
(c) The theatre.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Miss Hillyard accuse of the acts of vandalism?
2. Who proposes to Harriet at regular intervals?
3. Which student stole Miss Cattermole's fiancé?
4. Where had the gowns been burnt?
5. Catherine Freemantle, a former classmate of Harriet's, married a farmer and now lives where?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the hanging figure incident clear Miss Cattermole's name?
2. In Chapter 2, what does Harriet talk about while having coffee with the Dean and her other classmates?
3. What is significant about April 1st?
4. Why does Harriet contact Peter in Chapter 13?
5. Harriet drives to Oxford to attend the opening of the new library and to investigate which incidents?
6. How does Harriet handle the vandalism of the New Library?
7. Why did Annie take a job at Shrewsbury College?
8. Is Miss Hillyard responsible for smashing Harriet's chess set?
9. What does Harriet find amusing about the invitation to Farringdon's party?
10. Why is Harriet surprised to see Peter in Oxford?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)