|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides Jukes and his family, who is in the house when it is raided?
(d) Miss Martin.
2. Harriet suggests to the Dean that what be installed on the top of the walls?
(a) Barbed wire.
3. What does Harriet attend at the beginning of the summer term?
(a) A cricket match.
(b) The Magdalen Mayday ceremony.
(c) The opening of the New Library.
(d) A dance.
4. Peter's nephew asks Harriet to forget about whom?
(a) Mr. Pomfret.
(b) The Viennese singer.
(c) The culprit of the Shrewsbury mysteries.
5. Whom does Miss Hillyard accuse of the acts of vandalism?
(a) A scout.
(b) A man.
(c) A faculty member.
(d) A student.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Harriet find climbing up a wall of the college in the middle of the night?
2. Whom was Shrewsbury College named after?
3. Of what had Harriet been accused by the police?
4. Who proposes to Harriet at regular intervals?
5. Whom do the Fellows and Tutors originally suspect as the culprit of the letters and vandalism?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Harriet and Peter's relationship from the time of Harriet's return from Europe to her weekend at the Gaudy.
2. In Chapter 1, what are Harriet's emotions as she returns to Shrewsbury College?
3. In Chapter 2, what does Harriet talk about while having coffee with the Dean and her other classmates?
4. How do Harriet's classmates and former professors receive her?
5. What does Harriet find amusing about the invitation to Farringdon's party?
6. In the meeting that takes place during Chapter 5, why is it concluded that the culprit must be a resident at Oxford?
7. In Chapter 3, which two subjects had Harriet hoped not to think about at Oxford? Does she?
8. How does Harriet find the disaster in the New Library the night before its opening?
9. Why does Harriet offer to help Miss Lydgate with her proofs?
10. Harriet drives to Oxford to attend the opening of the new library and to investigate which incidents?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)