|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who walks with Harriet back to her room after having coffee?
(a) Miss de Vine.
(b) The Warden.
(c) Miss Wilson.
(d) The Dean.
2. Harriet suggests engaging investigators who disguise themselves as what?
(a) A bank.
(b) A typing bureau.
(c) A shipping company.
(d) A maid service.
3. In Chapter 1, which old friend of Harriet's is ill and urges her to attend a school event?
(a) Mary Stokes.
(b) Vera Mollison.
(c) Dorothy Collins.
(d) Betty Armstrong.
4. After the Gaudy Dinner, who invites Harriet for coffee?
(a) Mary Stokes.
(b) Phoebe Tucker.
(c) The Dean.
(d) The Warden.
5. Which two students on bicycles meet Mr. Pomfret and Harriet at the gate?
(a) Farringdon and Miss Cattermole.
(b) Jukes and Miss Cattermole.
(c) Miss Flaxman and Miss Cattermole.
(d) Farringdon and Miss Flaxman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks if there is to be an opening ceremony for the lavatories?
2. What has Peter broken when he takes Harriet to dinner after her return from Oxford?
3. Whose manuscript has been mutilated in an act of vandalism?
4. Which student stole Miss Cattermole's fiancé?
5. Who tries to blackmail Pomfret for climbing over the college wall?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Harriet find amusing about the invitation to Farringdon's party?
2. Why is Saint-George unable to keep his lunch appointment with Harriet?
3. Describe Harriet and Peter's relationship from the time of Harriet's return from Europe to her weekend at the Gaudy.
4. In Chapter 1, what are Harriet's emotions as she returns to Shrewsbury College?
5. Why does Miss Martin, Dean at Shrewsbury College, write a letter to Harriet in Chapter 4?
6. In the meeting that takes place during Chapter 5, why is it concluded that the culprit must be a resident at Oxford?
7. In Chapter 2, what does Harriet talk about while having coffee with the Dean and her other classmates?
8. After the vandalism of the New Library, what do the Warden and Harriet decide about the investigation?
9. Why is Sunday the best part of a Gaudy?
10. Does Harriet learn anything about the poltergeist from the night when the fuses were removed?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)