|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Harriet about being accosted by a person who might be the poltergeist?
(c) Miss Cattermole.
2. What kind of weather does Harriet drive through at the beginning of Chapter 5?
3. Where does Harriet stay at her second visit to Oxford?
(a) The Guest Room.
(b) The dormitories.
(c) A hotel.
(d) The Dean's house.
4. Who telephones to get new fuses?
(b) Juke's wife.
(c) Padgett's wife.
(d) The Dean.
5. While having coffee after the Gaudy Dinner, who questions Harriet about the type of books she writes?
(a) Miss Winters.
(b) Miss Mollison.
(c) The Dean.
(d) Miss Barton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which old classmate of Harriet's is an archaeologist?
2. At the end of Chapter 8, where does Harriet go for a soothing influence?
3. How were the notes written?
4. What is Harriet daydreaming about in the first paragraph of The Gaudy Night?
5. Where does Harriet go after the term ends in April?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the vandalism of the New Library, what do the Warden and Harriet decide about the investigation?
2. What does Harriet find amusing about the invitation to Farringdon's party?
3. Why is Saint-George unable to keep his lunch appointment with Harriet?
4. How does Saint-George embarrass himself in front of Harriet?
5. In Chapter 2, what does Harriet talk about while having coffee with the Dean and her other classmates?
6. In Chapter 7, why does Harriet hide a man in the chapel during the middle of the night?
7. Harriet drives to Oxford to attend the opening of the new library and to investigate which incidents?
8. Why is Sunday the best part of a Gaudy?
9. How does Harriet find the disaster in the New Library the night before its opening?
10. Why does Harriet tell Saint-George about the poltergeist in Chapter 10?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)