|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Harriet suggests to the Dean that what be installed on the top of the walls?
(d) Barbed wire.
2. At the end of the Gaudy, what does Harriet find with the cigarette case in her gown?
(a) A note telling her to leave Shrewsbury College.
(b) A match.
(c) A note calling her a murderess.
(d) A picture of the gallows.
3. Who tells Harriet that she wants to own a motorcycle?
(a) Padgett's daughter.
(b) Miss Cattermole.
(c) Annie's daughter.
(d) Miss Newland.
4. What had Saint-George asked of Peter?
(a) A loan.
(b) A visit.
(c) A new car.
(d) A vacation.
5. Why is Pomfret at Shrewsbury College the morning after Harriet caught him climbing the wall?
(a) He is calling on Harriet.
(b) He is meeting with Jukes.
(c) He is calling on Miss Cattermole.
(d) He is attending a lecture.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the New Library ceremony, the maid Annie tells Harriet that the vandalism began after who arrived?
2. Who asks if there is to be an opening ceremony for the lavatories?
3. Whom does Harriet find lying on the ground drunk in the middle of the night?
4. How does Harriet arrive at Oxford in Chapter 1?
5. Who writes to Harriet, asking her to attend the opening of the new library at Shrewsbury College?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Harriet and Peter's relationship from the time of Harriet's return from Europe to her weekend at the Gaudy.
2. In Chapter 5, what do the Dean and Harriet conclude from the absence of spelling mistakes in the poison pen letters?
3. In Chapter 1, what are Harriet's emotions as she returns to Shrewsbury College?
4. Harriet drives to Oxford to attend the opening of the new library and to investigate which incidents?
5. In Chapter 2, what does Harriet talk about while having coffee with the Dean and her other classmates?
6. How do Harriet's classmates and former professors receive her?
7. What does Harriet find amusing about the invitation to Farringdon's party?
8. How does Saint-George embarrass himself in front of Harriet?
9. Why does Harriet find it difficult to write to Peter after visiting Saint-George in the hospital?
10. Why does Miss Martin, Dean at Shrewsbury College, write a letter to Harriet in Chapter 4?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)