|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Goodwin not return at the beginning of the summer term?
(a) Her husband just died.
(b) She has typhoid.
(c) Her son is teething.
(d) Her son has measles.
2. Whom does Harriet find lying on the ground drunk in the middle of the night?
(a) Miss Cattermole.
(b) Miss Flaxman.
(c) Miss de Vine.
3. Where is Saint-George the second time Harriet sees him?
(a) On the river.
(b) His room.
(c) The hospital.
(d) A restaurant.
4. How were the notes written?
(a) By typewriter.
(b) By hand.
(c) From newspaper clippings.
(d) From book clippings.
5. What is Harriet daydreaming about in the first paragraph of The Gaudy Night?
(a) Dinsdale Elementary School.
(b) Shrewsbury College.
(c) Her childhood home.
(d) Lord Peter Wimsey.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom do the Fellows and Tutors originally suspect as the culprit of the letters and vandalism?
2. What event does Harriet first attend when she visits Shrewsbury College?
3. Who tries to blackmail Pomfret for climbing over the college wall?
4. Who invites Harriet to dinner and a show on April 1st?
5. Which old classmate of Harriet's is an archaeologist?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Harriet learn anything about the poltergeist from the night when the fuses were removed?
2. What does Harriet choose to tell the faculty about the figure hanging in the chapel?
3. Why does Harriet find it difficult to write to Peter after visiting Saint-George in the hospital?
4. In Chapter 3, which two subjects had Harriet hoped not to think about at Oxford? Does she?
5. Why does Harriet offer to help Miss Lydgate with her proofs?
6. How have Harriet's classmates changed from when they graduated to when she saw them again at the unveiling of the clock?
7. In the meeting that takes place during Chapter 5, why is it concluded that the culprit must be a resident at Oxford?
8. How does Harriet handle the vandalism of the New Library?
9. How do Harriet's classmates and former professors receive her?
10. What happens while the lights are out at Shrewsbury in Chapter 9?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)