|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is standing in front of the fuse box by the West Staircase?
(c) Miss Barton.
2. Who writes to Harriet, asking her to attend the opening of the new library at Shrewsbury College?
(a) The Warden.
(b) Mary Stokes.
(c) The Dean.
(d) Phoebe Tucker.
3. Whom does Harriet find climbing up a wall of the college in the middle of the night?
(a) The porter.
(c) Miss Flaxman.
(d) Miss Millbanks.
4. Who telephones to get new fuses?
(a) Padgett's wife.
(c) The Dean.
(d) Juke's wife.
5. What is Miss Lydgate clutching as the lights go off across the Quad?
(a) A rolling pin.
(b) Her torch.
(c) A student.
(d) Her proofs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Harriet find a robed figure hanging from the ceiling?
2. Why does Mrs. Goodwin not return at the beginning of the summer term?
3. During her time at Oxford, Harriet discovers that people are more interested in whom, rather than herself?
4. When does Harriet notice a suspicious light on in the New Library?
5. What is Harriet daydreaming about in the first paragraph of The Gaudy Night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Miss Martin, Dean at Shrewsbury College, write a letter to Harriet in Chapter 4?
2. What happens while the lights are out at Shrewsbury in Chapter 9?
3. What does Harriet learn from Arbuthnot about Peter?
4. Why does Harriet offer to help Miss Lydgate with her proofs?
5. How have Harriet's classmates changed from when they graduated to when she saw them again at the unveiling of the clock?
6. Why does Harriet find it difficult to write to Peter after visiting Saint-George in the hospital?
7. In the meeting that takes place during Chapter 5, why is it concluded that the culprit must be a resident at Oxford?
8. Does Harriet learn anything about the poltergeist from the night when the fuses were removed?
9. Why does the hanging figure incident clear Miss Cattermole's name?
10. Why is Sunday the best part of a Gaudy?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)