|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Harriet and the Dean discuss the absence of what in the malevolent notes?
(c) Proper names.
2. What does Harriet do for a living?
(a) Writes science textbooks.
(b) Writes for a newspaper.
(c) Writes mysteries.
(d) Writes romance novels.
3. In which language is the note that Harriet found on the hanging figure?
4. At the New Library ceremony, the maid Annie tells Harriet that the vandalism began after who arrived?
(a) Miss Barton.
(b) Miss de Vine.
(c) Miss Hillyard.
(d) Miss Martin.
5. Who tries to blackmail Pomfret for climbing over the college wall?
(c) The Dean.
Short Answer Questions
1. Harriet suggests to the Dean that what be installed on the top of the walls?
2. Who telephones to get new fuses?
3. At the end of the Gaudy, what does Harriet find with the cigarette case in her gown?
4. Who was the last person to handle Miss Lydgate's manuscript?
5. Who is missing from her room when the lights go out in Tudor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Harriet and Peter's relationship from the time of Harriet's return from Europe to her weekend at the Gaudy.
2. What does Harriet find amusing about the invitation to Farringdon's party?
3. Harriet drives to Oxford to attend the opening of the new library and to investigate which incidents?
4. In the meeting that takes place during Chapter 5, why is it concluded that the culprit must be a resident at Oxford?
5. What happens while the lights are out at Shrewsbury in Chapter 9?
6. Why does Miss Martin, Dean at Shrewsbury College, write a letter to Harriet in Chapter 4?
7. Why does Harriet offer to help Miss Lydgate with her proofs?
8. After the vandalism of the New Library, what do the Warden and Harriet decide about the investigation?
9. In Chapter 3, which two subjects had Harriet hoped not to think about at Oxford? Does she?
10. Why does Harriet tell Saint-George about the poltergeist in Chapter 10?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)