|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Harriet read about Shrewsbury College in a newspaper?
(a) The college was being shut down.
(b) Students had received hate mail.
(c) A manuscript had been mutilated.
(d) There had been a bonfire of gowns.
2. In which language is the note that Harriet found on the hanging figure?
3. Who tries to blackmail Pomfret for climbing over the college wall?
(c) The Dean.
4. Catherine Freemantle, a former classmate of Harriet's, married a farmer and now lives where?
(a) In Yorkshire.
(b) On the Welsh border.
(c) In Ireland.
(d) On the Scottish border.
5. Of what had Harriet been accused by the police?
Short Answer Questions
1. While investigating the light in the New Library, Harriet runs into a student doing what?
2. Besides Jukes and his family, who is in the house when it is raided?
3. Which two students on bicycles meet Mr. Pomfret and Harriet at the gate?
4. What happens to Shrewsbury College while the lights are out due to removed fuses?
5. Peter's nephew asks Harriet to forget about whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Harriet learn anything about the poltergeist from the night when the fuses were removed?
2. Why does the hanging figure incident clear Miss Cattermole's name?
3. What happens to Jukes in Chapter 9?
4. After the vandalism of the New Library, what do the Warden and Harriet decide about the investigation?
5. What does Harriet choose to tell the faculty about the figure hanging in the chapel?
6. In Chapter 2, what does Harriet talk about while having coffee with the Dean and her other classmates?
7. Harriet drives to Oxford to attend the opening of the new library and to investigate which incidents?
8. What does Harriet learn from Arbuthnot about Peter?
9. How does Harriet find the disaster in the New Library the night before its opening?
10. What happens while the lights are out at Shrewsbury in Chapter 9?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)