|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Harriet stay at her second visit to Oxford?
(a) The Guest Room.
(b) The Dean's house.
(c) A hotel.
(d) The dormitories.
2. Where is Saint-George the second time Harriet sees him?
(a) His room.
(b) The hospital.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) On the river.
3. Whom was Shrewsbury College named after?
(a) Mary, Countess of Shrewsbury, who was meek and mild mannered.
(b) Mary, Countess of Shrewsbury, who was considered greater than her husband.
(c) Lord Shrewsbury, who first allowed women to attend Oxford.
(d) Lord Shrewsbury, who founded the college.
4. Whose manuscript has been mutilated in an act of vandalism?
(a) Miss Lydgate's.
(b) Miss Vine's.
(c) The Warden's.
(d) Miss Martin's.
5. Miss Pyke discovers that what is missing right before she has to lecture?
(a) Her spectacles.
(b) Her gown.
(c) Her pen.
(d) Her book.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 8, where does Harriet go for a soothing influence?
2. Who hates Oxford and attends only because of her parents' wishes?
3. During her time at Oxford, Harriet discovers that people are more interested in whom, rather than herself?
4. Who walks with Harriet back to her room after having coffee?
5. After the power outage, what does the Warden publicly ask?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the Warden to agree to seek professional help in solving the mystery?
2. Describe Harriet and Peter's relationship from the time of Harriet's return from Europe to her weekend at the Gaudy.
3. What does Peter say about the mystery when Harriet shows him her notes at the river?
4. In Chapter 3, which two subjects had Harriet hoped not to think about at Oxford? Does she?
5. What is Miss Edwards's opinion after Harriet tells her about the prank call?
6. How do Harriet's classmates and former professors receive her?
7. Why are the women nervous about Peter dining with them in Chapter 17?
8. Why does Harriet offer to help Miss Lydgate with her proofs?
9. How does Harriet handle the vandalism of the New Library?
10. Why does the hanging figure incident clear Miss Cattermole's name?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)