|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the New Library ceremony, the maid Annie tells Harriet that the vandalism began after who arrived?
(a) Miss de Vine.
(b) Miss Martin.
(c) Miss Hillyard.
(d) Miss Barton.
2. At the end of Chapter 8, where does Harriet go for a soothing influence?
(a) Christ Church.
(d) Shrewsbury Chapel.
3. After the Gaudy Dinner, who invites Harriet for coffee?
(a) The Warden.
(b) Mary Stokes.
(c) Phoebe Tucker.
(d) The Dean.
4. Who bumps into Harriet and spills her meringues?
(c) Mr. Pomfret.
5. In Chapter 4, what does a servant find under the table where Peter and Harriet were dining?
(a) A letter from the Dean.
(b) Hate mail.
(c) A rose.
(d) Harriet's notebook.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Harriet about being accosted by a person who might be the poltergeist?
2. Which old classmate of Harriet's is an archaeologist?
3. What has Peter broken when he takes Harriet to dinner after her return from Oxford?
4. Who is knocked down and bruised while the lights are out?
5. How does Peter's April 1st proposal come to Harriet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harriet find it difficult to write to Peter after visiting Saint-George in the hospital?
2. In Chapter 1, what are Harriet's emotions as she returns to Shrewsbury College?
3. What does Harriet learn from Arbuthnot about Peter?
4. Why is Saint-George unable to keep his lunch appointment with Harriet?
5. In Chapter 5, what do the Dean and Harriet conclude from the absence of spelling mistakes in the poison pen letters?
6. After the vandalism of the New Library, what do the Warden and Harriet decide about the investigation?
7. How does Harriet find the disaster in the New Library the night before its opening?
8. Describe Harriet and Peter's relationship from the time of Harriet's return from Europe to her weekend at the Gaudy.
9. What does Harriet choose to tell the faculty about the figure hanging in the chapel?
10. In the meeting that takes place during Chapter 5, why is it concluded that the culprit must be a resident at Oxford?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)