|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Harriet ask Annie about Jukes?
(a) Annie's children stay with Jukes.
(b) Annie used to work for Jukes.
(c) Annie saw Jukes prowling around at night.
(d) Annie is Juke's sister.
2. At the New Library ceremony, the maid Annie tells Harriet that the vandalism began after who arrived?
(a) Miss de Vine.
(b) Miss Barton.
(c) Miss Hillyard.
(d) Miss Martin.
3. What do the police find when they raid Juke's home in Chapter 9?
(a) Miss Lydgate's manuscript.
(b) Items stolen from students.
(d) Poison pen letters.
4. Of what had Harriet been accused by the police?
5. What happens to Shrewsbury College while the lights are out due to removed fuses?
(a) A fire.
(b) Acts of murder.
(c) A kidnapping.
(d) Acts of vandalism.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, which old friend of Harriet's is ill and urges her to attend a school event?
2. While investigating the light in the New Library, Harriet runs into a student doing what?
3. Harriet suggests engaging investigators who disguise themselves as what?
4. Where does Harriet go after the term ends in April?
5. What has Peter broken when he takes Harriet to dinner after her return from Oxford?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what do the Dean and Harriet conclude from the absence of spelling mistakes in the poison pen letters?
2. What does Harriet choose to tell the faculty about the figure hanging in the chapel?
3. Why does Harriet find it difficult to write to Peter after visiting Saint-George in the hospital?
4. What does Harriet learn from Arbuthnot about Peter?
5. In the meeting that takes place during Chapter 5, why is it concluded that the culprit must be a resident at Oxford?
6. Why does Harriet tell Saint-George about the poltergeist in Chapter 10?
7. How have Harriet's classmates changed from when they graduated to when she saw them again at the unveiling of the clock?
8. What is significant about April 1st?
9. Why does the hanging figure incident clear Miss Cattermole's name?
10. In Chapter 1, what are Harriet's emotions as she returns to Shrewsbury College?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)