|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Saint-George invite Harriet after their first meeting?
(b) The theatre.
(d) A Mayday festival.
2. Which two students on bicycles meet Mr. Pomfret and Harriet at the gate?
(a) Farringdon and Miss Cattermole.
(b) Farringdon and Miss Flaxman.
(c) Jukes and Miss Cattermole.
(d) Miss Flaxman and Miss Cattermole.
3. What does Harriet do for a living?
(a) Writes for a newspaper.
(b) Writes science textbooks.
(c) Writes mysteries.
(d) Writes romance novels.
4. During her time at Oxford, Harriet discovers that people are more interested in whom, rather than herself?
(a) Mary Stokes.
(b) The characters from her books.
(c) Lord Arnold Tyndale.
(d) Lord Peter Wimsey.
5. What does Harriet read about Shrewsbury College in a newspaper?
(a) There had been a bonfire of gowns.
(b) Students had received hate mail.
(c) The college was being shut down.
(d) A manuscript had been mutilated.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Harriet about being accosted by a person who might be the poltergeist?
2. Whom does Harriet find climbing up a wall of the college in the middle of the night?
3. Why does Mrs. Goodwin not return at the beginning of the summer term?
4. Who was the last person to handle Miss Lydgate's manuscript?
5. At the New Library ceremony, the maid Annie tells Harriet that the vandalism began after who arrived?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Sunday the best part of a Gaudy?
2. Why does Harriet find it difficult to write to Peter after visiting Saint-George in the hospital?
3. Why does Miss Martin, Dean at Shrewsbury College, write a letter to Harriet in Chapter 4?
4. Does Harriet learn anything about the poltergeist from the night when the fuses were removed?
5. How do Harriet's classmates and former professors receive her?
6. After the vandalism of the New Library, what do the Warden and Harriet decide about the investigation?
7. How does Saint-George embarrass himself in front of Harriet?
8. What is significant about April 1st?
9. In Chapter 1, what are Harriet's emotions as she returns to Shrewsbury College?
10. Why does the hanging figure incident clear Miss Cattermole's name?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)