|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who proposes to Harriet at regular intervals?
(a) Lord Edward White.
(b) Saint-George Wimsey.
(c) The Dean.
(d) Lord Peter Wimsey.
2. What is Harriet daydreaming about in the first paragraph of The Gaudy Night?
(a) Lord Peter Wimsey.
(b) Dinsdale Elementary School.
(c) Her childhood home.
(d) Shrewsbury College.
3. Harriet and the Dean discuss the absence of what in the malevolent notes?
(b) Proper names.
4. To what does Saint-George invite Harriet after their first meeting?
(b) A Mayday festival.
(d) The theatre.
5. What happens to Shrewsbury College while the lights are out due to removed fuses?
(a) Acts of murder.
(b) A kidnapping.
(c) A fire.
(d) Acts of vandalism.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which student stole Miss Cattermole's fiancé?
2. What does Harriet attend at the beginning of the summer term?
3. After Harriet notices the light on in the New Library, whose room does she find empty?
4. At the New Library ceremony, the maid Annie tells Harriet that the vandalism began after who arrived?
5. Which two students on bicycles meet Mr. Pomfret and Harriet at the gate?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, which two subjects had Harriet hoped not to think about at Oxford? Does she?
2. What is significant about April 1st?
3. Why does Harriet tell Saint-George about the poltergeist in Chapter 10?
4. How does Saint-George embarrass himself in front of Harriet?
5. Why is Saint-George unable to keep his lunch appointment with Harriet?
6. What does Harriet choose to tell the faculty about the figure hanging in the chapel?
7. In the meeting that takes place during Chapter 5, why is it concluded that the culprit must be a resident at Oxford?
8. How have Harriet's classmates changed from when they graduated to when she saw them again at the unveiling of the clock?
9. In Chapter 2, what does Harriet talk about while having coffee with the Dean and her other classmates?
10. How does Harriet handle the vandalism of the New Library?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)