|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helps Harriet get a letter to Peter?
(a) Mr. Arbuthnot.
(c) Peter's brother.
(d) Peter's secretary.
2. What does Peter's assistant find on the floor in the science lab?
(a) A note.
(b) A cap.
(c) A hairpin.
(d) A shoe.
3. Whom does Harriet meet as she is entering Shrewsbury on the night of the prank call?
(a) The Warden.
(b) The Dean.
(d) The culprit.
4. Why does Peter take Harriet to an isolated field?
(a) To teach her self-defense.
(b) To have a picnic.
(c) To propose to her.
(d) To discuss the case in private.
5. Harriet is grabbed by what?
(a) Her coat.
(b) The arm.
(c) Her hair.
(d) The throat.
6. Which character of her latest novel does Peter suggest Harriet alter?
7. What has Miss Newland been receiving previous to her attempted suicide?
(b) Poison pen letters.
(c) Telephone calls.
8. What does Peter discuss with Miss Hillyard?
(a) His newest book.
(b) Harriet's newest book.
(c) Her paper in the Historical Review.
(d) Her paper in the Scientific Review.
9. What do Harriet and Miss Martin attend the morning after a big storm?
(a) The University Sermon.
(b) The New Library opening ceremony.
(c) The Magdalen Mayday.
(d) A picnic.
10. Who tells the Dean about the figure in the science lab?
11. Who attempts to punch Peter while Peter is playing the piano?
(a) The culprit.
(d) Miss Hillyard.
12. Whom is Arthur Robinson connected to?
(b) The Warden.
(c) The Dean.
(d) Miss de Vine.
13. How do Harriet and Peter spend the afternoon after he arrives in Oxford?
(a) Driving his motorcar.
(c) Discussing the case in her room.
(d) Punting on the river.
14. Where does Harriet gain consciousness after her attack?
(b) In the Infirmary.
(c) In Miss Martin's room.
(d) In her own bed.
15. Who is involved in the search party for Miss Newland?
(a) Faculty, students, and the police.
(b) Peter, Harriet, and Miss Martin.
(c) The police only.
(d) The faculty only.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes upon Pomfret confessing his love to Harriet?
2. What does Harriet see on Miss Hillyard's carpet and slippers?
3. What does Harriet put on before going to Miss de Vine's room?
4. Which student does the Dean encourage to stop studying and take a break?
5. Who accuses Harriet of behaving inappropriately with Peter?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)