|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Harriet and Peter meet the afternoon after he comes to Oxford?
(a) London Bridge.
(b) The New Library.
(c) The Magdalen Bridge.
(d) The chapel.
2. Who sees Miss Hillyard in the Fellows Garden on the night of the prank call?
(b) The Warden.
3. Who helps Harriet get a letter to Peter?
(a) Peter's secretary.
(b) Mr. Arbuthnot.
(c) Peter's brother.
4. As Peter is leaving for York, what does Harriet ask him to deliver to her secretary?
(a) A hat.
(b) A piece of evidence.
(c) A letter.
(d) Chapters of her manuscript.
5. Who proved that a man's thesis was untrue while at Flamborough College?
(b) Miss de Vine.
(d) Miss Hillyard.
6. Who asks Mrs. Goodwin not to go?
(a) Miss Martin.
(c) Miss Hillyard.
7. At what point does Miss Newland jump out of the canoe?
(a) When she is approaching the waterfall.
(b) When she sees the search party coming.
(c) She does not jump out of the canoe.
(d) Before the search party finds her.
8. What does Peter discuss with Miss Hillyard?
(a) Her paper in the Scientific Review.
(b) His newest book.
(c) Harriet's newest book.
(d) Her paper in the Historical Review.
9. What does Harriet find smashed in her room?
(a) Miss Lydgate's manuscript.
(b) Her chess set.
(c) Her lamp.
(d) Her piano.
10. Which character of her latest novel does Peter suggest Harriet alter?
11. What does Harriet see on Miss Hillyard's carpet and slippers?
(b) Cut-out letters.
(c) Slivers of ivory.
(d) Slivers of glass.
12. What does Peter say was used to smash Harriet's property?
(a) A Cuban and French heel.
(b) A fire poker.
(c) A bat.
(d) A hammer.
13. After leaving the science lab, what does Peter say to Harriet?
(a) He tells her he is leaving for Rome.
(b) He warns her that she is in danger.
(c) He asks her to call in a private detective.
(d) He tells her that Miss de Vine is the culprit.
14. What does Peter refuse to discuss with the Warden?
15. Where is Annie found in Chapter 21?
(a) The coal-hole.
(b) Harriet's room.
(c) The river.
(d) The chapel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes upon Pomfret confessing his love to Harriet?
2. How do Harriet and Peter spend the afternoon after he arrives in Oxford?
3. Who accuses Harriet of behaving inappropriately with Peter?
4. How long does Peter sleep while Harriet watches boats on the river?
5. Who finds Harriet after she is attacked?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)