|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Harriet do for a living?
(a) Writes for a newspaper.
(b) Writes science textbooks.
(c) Writes mysteries.
(d) Writes romance novels.
2. Harriet suggests to the Dean that what be installed on the top of the walls?
(a) Barbed wire.
3. After being acquitted of murder, where had Harriet traveled?
4. Who tells Harriet about being accosted by a person who might be the poltergeist?
(a) Miss Cattermole.
5. In which language is the note that Harriet found on the hanging figure?
6. At the New Library ceremony, the maid Annie tells Harriet that the vandalism began after who arrived?
(a) Miss de Vine.
(b) Miss Barton.
(c) Miss Hillyard.
(d) Miss Martin.
7. What is Harriet daydreaming about in the first paragraph of The Gaudy Night?
(a) Dinsdale Elementary School.
(b) Lord Peter Wimsey.
(c) Shrewsbury College.
(d) Her childhood home.
8. Peter's nephew asks Harriet to forget about whom?
(a) The culprit of the Shrewsbury mysteries.
(b) The Viennese singer.
(d) Mr. Pomfret.
9. Whom does Harriet find lying on the ground drunk in the middle of the night?
(a) Miss Cattermole.
(b) Miss Flaxman.
(d) Miss de Vine.
10. Harriet suggests engaging investigators who disguise themselves as what?
(a) A bank.
(b) A typing bureau.
(c) A shipping company.
(d) A maid service.
11. Who tries to blackmail Pomfret for climbing over the college wall?
(b) The Dean.
12. Harriet and the Dean discuss the absence of what in the malevolent notes?
(a) Proper names.
13. How does Harriet arrive at Oxford in Chapter 1?
(a) By car.
(b) By train.
(c) By plane.
(d) By bus.
14. In Chapter 6, Harriet wakes herself up calling for whom?
(d) The poltergeist.
15. What is Miss Lydgate clutching as the lights go off across the Quad?
(a) Her proofs.
(b) A student.
(c) A rolling pin.
(d) Her torch.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Shrewsbury College while the lights are out due to removed fuses?
2. Who proposes to Harriet at regular intervals?
3. Who is missing from her room when the lights go out in Tudor?
4. Where does Harriet send Pomfret the morning after she meets him?
5. Where does Harriet find a robed figure hanging from the ceiling?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)