|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which old classmate of Harriet's is an archaeologist?
(a) Phoebe Tucker.
(b) Mary Stokes.
(c) Vera Mollison.
(d) Dorothy Collins.
2. At the end of Chapter 8, where does Harriet go for a soothing influence?
(a) Shrewsbury Chapel.
(d) Christ Church.
3. Whom was Shrewsbury College named after?
(a) Lord Shrewsbury, who first allowed women to attend Oxford.
(b) Mary, Countess of Shrewsbury, who was meek and mild mannered.
(c) Lord Shrewsbury, who founded the college.
(d) Mary, Countess of Shrewsbury, who was considered greater than her husband.
4. In Chapter 6, Harriet wakes herself up calling for whom?
(d) The poltergeist.
5. Besides Jukes and his family, who is in the house when it is raided?
(d) Miss Martin.
6. When does Harriet notice a suspicious light on in the New Library?
(a) After breakfast.
(c) At 3 a.m.
(d) At 10 p.m.
7. Whom does Harriet offer to help with proof sheets?
(a) Miss Lydgate.
(b) Miss Hillyard.
(c) Miss Martin.
(d) Miss Barton.
8. After the power outage, what does the Warden publicly ask?
(a) For Harriet to no longer help.
(b) For the guilty party to come forward.
(c) For students to use less power.
(d) For the police to become involved.
9. Who telephones to get new fuses?
(b) Juke's wife.
(c) Padgett's wife.
(d) The Dean.
10. After the Gaudy Dinner, who invites Harriet for coffee?
(a) Phoebe Tucker.
(b) The Dean.
(c) Mary Stokes.
(d) The Warden.
11. At the end of the Gaudy, what does Harriet find with the cigarette case in her gown?
(a) A picture of the gallows.
(b) A note calling her a murderess.
(c) A note telling her to leave Shrewsbury College.
(d) A match.
12. How does Harriet arrive at Oxford in Chapter 1?
(a) By bus.
(b) By train.
(c) By plane.
(d) By car.
13. What has Peter broken when he takes Harriet to dinner after her return from Oxford?
(a) Harriet's handbag.
(b) His motorcar.
(c) His ankle.
(d) Two ribs.
14. What had Saint-George asked of Peter?
(a) A new car.
(b) A visit.
(c) A vacation.
(d) A loan.
15. When telling her about the New Library vandalism, what does Harriet smell in Miss Burrow the librarian's room?
Short Answer Questions
1. While investigating the light in the New Library, Harriet runs into a student doing what?
2. How were the notes written?
3. On the way back to her room after having coffee, what does Harriet find?
4. Where is Saint-George the second time Harriet sees him?
5. What is stuck into the figure that Harriet finds hanging from the ceiling?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)