|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During her time at Oxford, Harriet discovers that people are more interested in whom, rather than herself?
(a) Mary Stokes.
(b) Lord Peter Wimsey.
(c) Lord Arnold Tyndale.
(d) The characters from her books.
2. Why does Mrs. Goodwin not return at the beginning of the summer term?
(a) Her husband just died.
(b) Her son has measles.
(c) Her son is teething.
(d) She has typhoid.
3. At the end of the Gaudy, what does Harriet find with the cigarette case in her gown?
(a) A match.
(b) A note calling her a murderess.
(c) A picture of the gallows.
(d) A note telling her to leave Shrewsbury College.
4. What is Miss Lydgate clutching as the lights go off across the Quad?
(a) Her proofs.
(b) Her torch.
(c) A rolling pin.
(d) A student.
5. On the way back to her room after having coffee, what does Harriet find?
(a) A gun.
(b) A corpse.
(c) A piece of paper with her name on it.
(d) A piece of paper with a drawing of a woman.
6. Which two students on bicycles meet Mr. Pomfret and Harriet at the gate?
(a) Farringdon and Miss Cattermole.
(b) Jukes and Miss Cattermole.
(c) Farringdon and Miss Flaxman.
(d) Miss Flaxman and Miss Cattermole.
7. How were the notes written?
(a) By hand.
(b) By typewriter.
(c) From book clippings.
(d) From newspaper clippings.
8. Who bumps into Harriet and spills her meringues?
(b) Mr. Pomfret.
9. Whose manuscript has been mutilated in an act of vandalism?
(a) The Warden's.
(b) Miss Lydgate's.
(c) Miss Martin's.
(d) Miss Vine's.
10. To what does Saint-George invite Harriet after their first meeting?
(c) A Mayday festival.
(d) The theatre.
11. Whom does Harriet find climbing up a wall of the college in the middle of the night?
(a) The porter.
(b) Miss Flaxman.
(c) Miss Millbanks.
12. Who asks if there is to be an opening ceremony for the lavatories?
(a) The Dean Miss Martin.
(c) The chancellor.
(d) The porter Padgett.
13. Whom was Shrewsbury College named after?
(a) Mary, Countess of Shrewsbury, who was meek and mild mannered.
(b) Mary, Countess of Shrewsbury, who was considered greater than her husband.
(c) Lord Shrewsbury, who founded the college.
(d) Lord Shrewsbury, who first allowed women to attend Oxford.
14. After the Gaudy Dinner, who invites Harriet for coffee?
(a) The Warden.
(b) Phoebe Tucker.
(c) Mary Stokes.
(d) The Dean.
15. What event does Harriet first attend when she visits Shrewsbury College?
(a) Unveiling of the clock.
(b) Opening of chapel.
(c) Building of the tower.
(d) Harvest festival.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Harriet notice a suspicious light on in the New Library?
2. What is Harriet daydreaming about in the first paragraph of The Gaudy Night?
3. Peter's nephew asks Harriet to forget about whom?
4. Who is knocked down and bruised while the lights are out?
5. Whom does Miss Hillyard accuse of the acts of vandalism?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)