|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Harriet visits Saint-George in the hospital the second time, what does she help him with?
(a) Talking to his parents.
(b) Paying bills.
(c) Writing to Peter.
2. Why does Harriet ask Annie about Jukes?
(a) Annie is Juke's sister.
(b) Annie used to work for Jukes.
(c) Annie's children stay with Jukes.
(d) Annie saw Jukes prowling around at night.
3. Where had the gowns been burnt?
(a) In the chapel.
(b) In the library.
(c) In the quad.
(d) In the tower.
4. After the Gaudy Dinner, who invites Harriet for coffee?
(a) The Warden.
(b) Mary Stokes.
(c) The Dean.
(d) Phoebe Tucker.
5. Where does Harriet send Pomfret the morning after she meets him?
(a) To the police.
(b) To the Dean's office.
(c) To the chemist's.
(d) To his dormitory.
6. What is stuck into the figure that Harriet finds hanging from the ceiling?
(a) A pin.
(b) An arrow.
(c) A spear.
(d) A bread-knife.
7. What event does Harriet first attend when she visits Shrewsbury College?
(a) Opening of chapel.
(b) Building of the tower.
(c) Unveiling of the clock.
(d) Harvest festival.
8. After Harriet notices the light on in the New Library, whose room does she find empty?
(a) Miss de Vine's.
(b) Miss Burrow's.
(c) Miss Martin's.
(d) Miss Barton's.
9. Whom does Harriet find lying on the ground drunk in the middle of the night?
(a) Miss Flaxman.
(b) Miss Cattermole.
(c) Miss de Vine.
10. In Chapter 7, Harriet is returning from where?
(a) A dance.
(c) The theatre.
11. What has Peter broken when he takes Harriet to dinner after her return from Oxford?
(a) Two ribs.
(b) His ankle.
(c) His motorcar.
(d) Harriet's handbag.
12. Miss Pyke discovers that what is missing right before she has to lecture?
(a) Her pen.
(b) Her gown.
(c) Her book.
(d) Her spectacles.
13. What does Harriet attend at the beginning of the summer term?
(a) The Magdalen Mayday ceremony.
(b) A dance.
(c) The opening of the New Library.
(d) A cricket match.
14. What kind of weather does Harriet drive through at the beginning of Chapter 5?
15. In Chapter 6, Harriet wakes herself up calling for whom?
(b) The poltergeist.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Miss Hillyard accuse of the acts of vandalism?
2. Where does Harriet go after the term ends in April?
3. Who proposes to Harriet at regular intervals?
4. Who telephones to get new fuses?
5. To what does Saint-George invite Harriet after their first meeting?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)