|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Harriet read about Shrewsbury College in a newspaper?
(a) There had been a bonfire of gowns.
(b) Students had received hate mail.
(c) The college was being shut down.
(d) A manuscript had been mutilated.
2. Who proposes to Harriet at regular intervals?
(a) Lord Edward White.
(b) Lord Peter Wimsey.
(c) The Dean.
(d) Saint-George Wimsey.
3. While having coffee after the Gaudy Dinner, who questions Harriet about the type of books she writes?
(a) Miss Winters.
(b) The Dean.
(c) Miss Barton.
(d) Miss Mollison.
4. Whom does Harriet offer to help with proof sheets?
(a) Miss Martin.
(b) Miss Barton.
(c) Miss Lydgate.
(d) Miss Hillyard.
5. At the end of the Gaudy, what does Harriet find with the cigarette case in her gown?
(a) A match.
(b) A note calling her a murderess.
(c) A picture of the gallows.
(d) A note telling her to leave Shrewsbury College.
6. Who tells Harriet about being accosted by a person who might be the poltergeist?
(a) Miss Cattermole.
7. What kind of weather does Harriet drive through at the beginning of Chapter 5?
8. How does Peter's April 1st proposal come to Harriet?
(a) By phone.
(b) By letter.
(c) By telegram.
(d) In person.
9. Miss Pyke discovers that what is missing right before she has to lecture?
(a) Her spectacles.
(b) Her book.
(c) Her gown.
(d) Her pen.
10. What is Harriet daydreaming about in the first paragraph of The Gaudy Night?
(a) Her childhood home.
(b) Lord Peter Wimsey.
(c) Shrewsbury College.
(d) Dinsdale Elementary School.
11. To what does Saint-George invite Harriet after their first meeting?
(a) The theatre.
(b) A Mayday festival.
12. Where does Harriet find a robed figure hanging from the ceiling?
(a) The library.
(b) The clock.
(c) The chapel.
(d) The tower.
13. Who bumps into Harriet and spills her meringues?
(a) Mr. Pomfret.
14. Why does Mrs. Goodwin not return at the beginning of the summer term?
(a) She has typhoid.
(b) Her son has measles.
(c) Her husband just died.
(d) Her son is teething.
15. Where does Harriet go after the term ends in April?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Saint-George the second time Harriet sees him?
2. Several of Harriet's classmates ask her about which Lord?
3. Who asks if there is to be an opening ceremony for the lavatories?
4. While investigating the light in the New Library, Harriet runs into a student doing what?
5. Who walks with Harriet back to her room after having coffee?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)