|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Miss Pyke discovers that what is missing right before she has to lecture?
(a) Her gown.
(b) Her pen.
(c) Her book.
(d) Her spectacles.
2. Why does Harriet ask Annie about Jukes?
(a) Annie's children stay with Jukes.
(b) Annie used to work for Jukes.
(c) Annie saw Jukes prowling around at night.
(d) Annie is Juke's sister.
3. Why is Pomfret at Shrewsbury College the morning after Harriet caught him climbing the wall?
(a) He is meeting with Jukes.
(b) He is calling on Miss Cattermole.
(c) He is attending a lecture.
(d) He is calling on Harriet.
4. Of what had Harriet been accused by the police?
5. What has Peter broken when he takes Harriet to dinner after her return from Oxford?
(a) His motorcar.
(b) His ankle.
(c) Two ribs.
(d) Harriet's handbag.
6. Harriet suggests engaging investigators who disguise themselves as what?
(a) A maid service.
(b) A typing bureau.
(c) A shipping company.
(d) A bank.
7. At the New Library ceremony, the maid Annie tells Harriet that the vandalism began after who arrived?
(a) Miss de Vine.
(b) Miss Martin.
(c) Miss Hillyard.
(d) Miss Barton.
8. What is Harriet daydreaming about in the first paragraph of The Gaudy Night?
(a) Dinsdale Elementary School.
(b) Shrewsbury College.
(c) Lord Peter Wimsey.
(d) Her childhood home.
9. When does Harriet notice a suspicious light on in the New Library?
(a) At 3 a.m.
(b) After breakfast.
(d) At 10 p.m.
10. Who hates Oxford and attends only because of her parents' wishes?
(a) Miss Flaxman.
(b) Miss Briggs.
(c) Miss Cattermole.
(d) Miss Mollison.
11. Mr. Arbuthnot tells Harriet that Peter is attached to what?
(a) Shrewsbury College.
(b) The Foreign Office.
(c) Scotland Yard.
(d) The American government.
12. Where had the gowns been burnt?
(a) In the chapel.
(b) In the tower.
(c) In the library.
(d) In the quad.
13. When telling her about the New Library vandalism, what does Harriet smell in Miss Burrow the librarian's room?
14. How many colleges have been vandalized?
(a) Shrewsbury and New College.
(b) Shrewsbury and two other women's colleges.
(c) Shrewsbury and three other Oxford colleges.
(d) Just Shrewsbury.
15. Whom does Harriet find climbing up a wall of the college in the middle of the night?
(a) Miss Millbanks.
(c) Miss Flaxman.
(d) The porter.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 8, where does Harriet go for a soothing influence?
2. During her time at Oxford, Harriet discovers that people are more interested in whom, rather than herself?
3. In Chapter 6, Harriet wakes herself up calling for whom?
4. Where does Harriet send Pomfret the morning after she meets him?
5. At the end of the Gaudy, what does Harriet find with the cigarette case in her gown?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)