|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Harriet find lying on the ground drunk in the middle of the night?
(a) Miss de Vine.
(b) Miss Flaxman.
(d) Miss Cattermole.
2. Which old classmate of Harriet's is an archaeologist?
(a) Phoebe Tucker.
(b) Vera Mollison.
(c) Mary Stokes.
(d) Dorothy Collins.
3. When telling her about the New Library vandalism, what does Harriet smell in Miss Burrow the librarian's room?
4. After Harriet notices the light on in the New Library, whose room does she find empty?
(a) Miss de Vine's.
(b) Miss Barton's.
(c) Miss Martin's.
(d) Miss Burrow's.
5. Who is missing from her room when the lights go out in Tudor?
(a) Miss Cattermole.
(c) Miss Newland.
(d) Miss Barton.
6. How many colleges have been vandalized?
(a) Shrewsbury and three other Oxford colleges.
(b) Shrewsbury and two other women's colleges.
(c) Just Shrewsbury.
(d) Shrewsbury and New College.
7. What kind of weather does Harriet drive through at the beginning of Chapter 5?
8. Whom does Harriet find climbing up a wall of the college in the middle of the night?
(a) Miss Millbanks.
(b) The porter.
(c) Miss Flaxman.
9. In Chapter 4, what does a servant find under the table where Peter and Harriet were dining?
(a) Harriet's notebook.
(b) Hate mail.
(c) A letter from the Dean.
(d) A rose.
10. After being acquitted of murder, where had Harriet traveled?
11. How does Peter's April 1st proposal come to Harriet?
(a) By telegram.
(b) By phone.
(c) In person.
(d) By letter.
12. What has Peter broken when he takes Harriet to dinner after her return from Oxford?
(a) Two ribs.
(b) Harriet's handbag.
(c) His motorcar.
(d) His ankle.
13. While having coffee after the Gaudy Dinner, who questions Harriet about the type of books she writes?
(a) Miss Mollison.
(b) Miss Barton.
(c) Miss Winters.
(d) The Dean.
14. While investigating the light in the New Library, Harriet runs into a student doing what?
(a) Finding a book.
(b) Taking a walk.
(c) Getting milk.
(d) Getting coffee.
15. What is stuck into the figure that Harriet finds hanging from the ceiling?
(a) A bread-knife.
(b) A spear.
(c) An arrow.
(d) A pin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the last person to handle Miss Lydgate's manuscript?
2. Of what had Harriet been accused by the police?
3. What is Harriet daydreaming about in the first paragraph of The Gaudy Night?
4. In which language is the note that Harriet found on the hanging figure?
5. Whose manuscript has been mutilated in an act of vandalism?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)