|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Miss Lydgate clutching as the lights go off across the Quad?
(a) A rolling pin.
(b) Her proofs.
(c) Her torch.
(d) A student.
2. Where does Harriet stay at her second visit to Oxford?
(a) The Guest Room.
(b) A hotel.
(c) The dormitories.
(d) The Dean's house.
3. Of what had Harriet been accused by the police?
4. How were the notes written?
(a) From newspaper clippings.
(b) From book clippings.
(c) By hand.
(d) By typewriter.
5. Which two students on bicycles meet Mr. Pomfret and Harriet at the gate?
(a) Farringdon and Miss Flaxman.
(b) Jukes and Miss Cattermole.
(c) Miss Flaxman and Miss Cattermole.
(d) Farringdon and Miss Cattermole.
6. While having coffee after the Gaudy Dinner, who questions Harriet about the type of books she writes?
(a) Miss Barton.
(b) Miss Winters.
(c) The Dean.
(d) Miss Mollison.
7. Where had the gowns been burnt?
(a) In the chapel.
(b) In the tower.
(c) In the quad.
(d) In the library.
8. During her time at Oxford, Harriet discovers that people are more interested in whom, rather than herself?
(a) Lord Arnold Tyndale.
(b) Lord Peter Wimsey.
(c) Mary Stokes.
(d) The characters from her books.
9. Who invites Harriet to dinner and a show on April 1st?
10. After the power outage, what does the Warden publicly ask?
(a) For students to use less power.
(b) For the police to become involved.
(c) For the guilty party to come forward.
(d) For Harriet to no longer help.
11. Who is knocked down and bruised while the lights are out?
(b) Miss Barton.
(c) Miss Lydgate.
(d) The Dean.
12. Which maid at Shrewsbury College is a widow with two children?
13. What happens to Shrewsbury College while the lights are out due to removed fuses?
(a) Acts of murder.
(b) A fire.
(c) Acts of vandalism.
(d) A kidnapping.
14. Peter's nephew asks Harriet to forget about whom?
(b) The culprit of the Shrewsbury mysteries.
(c) Mr. Pomfret.
(d) The Viennese singer.
15. Where is Saint-George the second time Harriet sees him?
(a) His room.
(b) On the river.
(c) The hospital.
(d) A restaurant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the last person to handle Miss Lydgate's manuscript?
2. Why does Mrs. Goodwin not return at the beginning of the summer term?
3. What is stuck into the figure that Harriet finds hanging from the ceiling?
4. Who approaches Peter while he is reading a letter from Harriet?
5. Mr. Arbuthnot tells Harriet that Peter is attached to what?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)