|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Miss Lydgate clutching as the lights go off across the Quad?
(a) Her proofs.
(b) A student.
(c) A rolling pin.
(d) Her torch.
2. What is Harriet daydreaming about in the first paragraph of The Gaudy Night?
(a) Her childhood home.
(b) Dinsdale Elementary School.
(c) Shrewsbury College.
(d) Lord Peter Wimsey.
3. When telling her about the New Library vandalism, what does Harriet smell in Miss Burrow the librarian's room?
4. Who approaches Peter while he is reading a letter from Harriet?
(c) A Count.
(d) Peter's brother.
5. Which maid at Shrewsbury College is a widow with two children?
6. Why does Harriet ask Annie about Jukes?
(a) Annie saw Jukes prowling around at night.
(b) Annie used to work for Jukes.
(c) Annie is Juke's sister.
(d) Annie's children stay with Jukes.
7. Which student stole Miss Cattermole's fiancé?
(a) Miss Millbanks.
(b) Miss Flaxman.
(c) Miss Mollison.
(d) Miss Fowler.
8. Of what had Harriet been accused by the police?
9. At the end of the Gaudy, what does Harriet find with the cigarette case in her gown?
(a) A note calling her a murderess.
(b) A note telling her to leave Shrewsbury College.
(c) A match.
(d) A picture of the gallows.
10. When Harriet visits Saint-George in the hospital the second time, what does she help him with?
(a) Paying bills.
(b) Writing to Peter.
(c) Talking to his parents.
11. Whom does Harriet find lying on the ground drunk in the middle of the night?
(a) Miss Flaxman.
(c) Miss Cattermole.
(d) Miss de Vine.
12. After being acquitted of murder, where had Harriet traveled?
13. After Harriet notices the light on in the New Library, whose room does she find empty?
(a) Miss Martin's.
(b) Miss de Vine's.
(c) Miss Barton's.
(d) Miss Burrow's.
14. Who was the last person to handle Miss Lydgate's manuscript?
(a) Miss Lydgate.
(b) Miss Martin.
(c) Miss Barton.
(d) Miss Hillyard.
15. How does Harriet arrive at Oxford in Chapter 1?
(a) By bus.
(b) By plane.
(c) By train.
(d) By car.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides Jukes and his family, who is in the house when it is raided?
2. What is stuck into the figure that Harriet finds hanging from the ceiling?
3. Why does Mrs. Goodwin not return at the beginning of the summer term?
4. Whom do the Fellows and Tutors originally suspect as the culprit of the letters and vandalism?
5. Who telephones to get new fuses?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)