|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Harriet stay at her second visit to Oxford?
(a) The Dean's house.
(b) The dormitories.
(c) The Guest Room.
(d) A hotel.
2. In Chapter 7, Harriet is returning from where?
(b) A dance.
(c) The theatre.
3. In Chapter 1, which old friend of Harriet's is ill and urges her to attend a school event?
(a) Vera Mollison.
(b) Mary Stokes.
(c) Dorothy Collins.
(d) Betty Armstrong.
4. What is stuck into the figure that Harriet finds hanging from the ceiling?
(a) A spear.
(b) A bread-knife.
(c) An arrow.
(d) A pin.
5. What does Harriet attend at the beginning of the summer term?
(a) A cricket match.
(b) A dance.
(c) The opening of the New Library.
(d) The Magdalen Mayday ceremony.
6. Who tells Harriet that she wants to own a motorcycle?
(a) Annie's daughter.
(b) Padgett's daughter.
(c) Miss Cattermole.
(d) Miss Newland.
7. Who proposes to Harriet at regular intervals?
(a) The Dean.
(b) Lord Edward White.
(c) Lord Peter Wimsey.
(d) Saint-George Wimsey.
8. Whom does Harriet find lying on the ground drunk in the middle of the night?
(a) Miss de Vine.
(b) Miss Flaxman.
(d) Miss Cattermole.
9. In Chapter 4, what does a servant find under the table where Peter and Harriet were dining?
(a) Hate mail.
(b) Harriet's notebook.
(c) A letter from the Dean.
(d) A rose.
10. Miss Pyke discovers that what is missing right before she has to lecture?
(a) Her gown.
(b) Her spectacles.
(c) Her pen.
(d) Her book.
11. When Harriet visits Saint-George in the hospital the second time, what does she help him with?
(a) Talking to his parents.
(b) Paying bills.
(c) Writing to Peter.
12. In which language is the note that Harriet found on the hanging figure?
13. Whom do the Fellows and Tutors originally suspect as the culprit of the letters and vandalism?
(a) A faculty member.
(b) A first year student.
(c) A scout.
(d) The porter.
14. How does Peter's April 1st proposal come to Harriet?
(a) By letter.
(b) By telegram.
(c) In person.
(d) By phone.
15. What is Harriet daydreaming about in the first paragraph of The Gaudy Night?
(a) Dinsdale Elementary School.
(b) Lord Peter Wimsey.
(c) Shrewsbury College.
(d) Her childhood home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who invites Harriet to dinner and a show on April 1st?
2. What do the police find when they raid Juke's home in Chapter 9?
3. Mr. Arbuthnot tells Harriet that Peter is attached to what?
4. Who is knocked down and bruised while the lights are out?
5. How does Harriet arrive at Oxford in Chapter 1?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)