|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 1, which old friend of Harriet's is ill and urges her to attend a school event?
(a) Vera Mollison.
(b) Mary Stokes.
(c) Dorothy Collins.
(d) Betty Armstrong.
2. Who is missing from her room when the lights go out in Tudor?
(a) Miss Barton.
(b) Miss Newland.
(c) Miss Cattermole.
3. At the New Library ceremony, the maid Annie tells Harriet that the vandalism began after who arrived?
(a) Miss Hillyard.
(b) Miss de Vine.
(c) Miss Barton.
(d) Miss Martin.
4. While investigating the light in the New Library, Harriet runs into a student doing what?
(a) Getting coffee.
(b) Getting milk.
(c) Finding a book.
(d) Taking a walk.
5. Where does Harriet send Pomfret the morning after she meets him?
(a) To the Dean's office.
(b) To the police.
(c) To his dormitory.
(d) To the chemist's.
6. At the end of Chapter 8, where does Harriet go for a soothing influence?
(b) Shrewsbury Chapel.
(d) Christ Church.
7. What does Harriet attend at the beginning of the summer term?
(a) The Magdalen Mayday ceremony.
(b) A dance.
(c) The opening of the New Library.
(d) A cricket match.
8. In Chapter 4, what does a servant find under the table where Peter and Harriet were dining?
(a) Harriet's notebook.
(b) A rose.
(c) A letter from the Dean.
(d) Hate mail.
9. Where had the gowns been burnt?
(a) In the chapel.
(b) In the tower.
(c) In the quad.
(d) In the library.
10. Why does Mrs. Goodwin not return at the beginning of the summer term?
(a) Her son is teething.
(b) She has typhoid.
(c) Her son has measles.
(d) Her husband just died.
11. Besides Jukes and his family, who is in the house when it is raided?
(b) Miss Martin.
12. Whose manuscript has been mutilated in an act of vandalism?
(a) Miss Lydgate's.
(b) The Warden's.
(c) Miss Vine's.
(d) Miss Martin's.
13. Catherine Freemantle, a former classmate of Harriet's, married a farmer and now lives where?
(a) On the Scottish border.
(b) In Yorkshire.
(c) On the Welsh border.
(d) In Ireland.
14. Whom do the Fellows and Tutors originally suspect as the culprit of the letters and vandalism?
(a) A scout.
(b) A first year student.
(c) A faculty member.
(d) The porter.
15. Where does Harriet go after the term ends in April?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who bumps into Harriet and spills her meringues?
2. Who proposes to Harriet at regular intervals?
3. Harriet and the Dean discuss the absence of what in the malevolent notes?
4. What had Saint-George asked of Peter?
5. Who tries to blackmail Pomfret for climbing over the college wall?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)