|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the last person to handle Miss Lydgate's manuscript?
(a) Miss Lydgate.
(b) Miss Barton.
(c) Miss Martin.
(d) Miss Hillyard.
2. What does Harriet attend at the beginning of the summer term?
(a) The Magdalen Mayday ceremony.
(b) A cricket match.
(c) The opening of the New Library.
(d) A dance.
3. After Harriet notices the light on in the New Library, whose room does she find empty?
(a) Miss Barton's.
(b) Miss Burrow's.
(c) Miss Martin's.
(d) Miss de Vine's.
4. Peter's nephew asks Harriet to forget about whom?
(a) Mr. Pomfret.
(c) The culprit of the Shrewsbury mysteries.
(d) The Viennese singer.
5. Where does Harriet send Pomfret the morning after she meets him?
(a) To the police.
(b) To the chemist's.
(c) To the Dean's office.
(d) To his dormitory.
6. Why does Harriet ask Annie about Jukes?
(a) Annie is Juke's sister.
(b) Annie saw Jukes prowling around at night.
(c) Annie used to work for Jukes.
(d) Annie's children stay with Jukes.
7. Who is knocked down and bruised while the lights are out?
(a) Miss Lydgate.
(c) The Dean.
(d) Miss Barton.
8. What is stuck into the figure that Harriet finds hanging from the ceiling?
(a) A bread-knife.
(b) A spear.
(c) A pin.
(d) An arrow.
9. What does Harriet do for a living?
(a) Writes for a newspaper.
(b) Writes romance novels.
(c) Writes mysteries.
(d) Writes science textbooks.
10. Where does Harriet find a robed figure hanging from the ceiling?
(a) The clock.
(b) The chapel.
(c) The tower.
(d) The library.
11. Who asks if there is to be an opening ceremony for the lavatories?
(a) The Dean Miss Martin.
(b) The chancellor.
(d) The porter Padgett.
12. Catherine Freemantle, a former classmate of Harriet's, married a farmer and now lives where?
(a) On the Scottish border.
(b) In Ireland.
(c) On the Welsh border.
(d) In Yorkshire.
13. In which language is the note that Harriet found on the hanging figure?
14. Who hates Oxford and attends only because of her parents' wishes?
(a) Miss Flaxman.
(b) Miss Mollison.
(c) Miss Briggs.
(d) Miss Cattermole.
15. What kind of weather does Harriet drive through at the beginning of Chapter 5?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Goodwin not return at the beginning of the summer term?
2. When Harriet visits Saint-George in the hospital the second time, what does she help him with?
3. How does Peter's April 1st proposal come to Harriet?
4. In Chapter 4, what does a servant find under the table where Peter and Harriet were dining?
5. Who tells Harriet about being accosted by a person who might be the poltergeist?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)