|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How were the notes written?
(a) From book clippings.
(b) By hand.
(c) By typewriter.
(d) From newspaper clippings.
2. At the end of the Gaudy, what does Harriet find with the cigarette case in her gown?
(a) A picture of the gallows.
(b) A note calling her a murderess.
(c) A note telling her to leave Shrewsbury College.
(d) A match.
3. How does Peter's April 1st proposal come to Harriet?
(a) By telegram.
(b) In person.
(c) By phone.
(d) By letter.
4. In Chapter 1, which old friend of Harriet's is ill and urges her to attend a school event?
(a) Dorothy Collins.
(b) Mary Stokes.
(c) Betty Armstrong.
(d) Vera Mollison.
5. What is Miss Lydgate clutching as the lights go off across the Quad?
(a) Her proofs.
(b) Her torch.
(c) A student.
(d) A rolling pin.
6. While investigating the light in the New Library, Harriet runs into a student doing what?
(a) Taking a walk.
(b) Finding a book.
(c) Getting milk.
(d) Getting coffee.
7. Whom does Harriet find lying on the ground drunk in the middle of the night?
(a) Miss Cattermole.
(b) Miss de Vine.
(c) Miss Flaxman.
8. Who tries to blackmail Pomfret for climbing over the college wall?
(a) The Dean.
9. What event does Harriet first attend when she visits Shrewsbury College?
(a) Opening of chapel.
(b) Building of the tower.
(c) Harvest festival.
(d) Unveiling of the clock.
10. What is Harriet daydreaming about in the first paragraph of The Gaudy Night?
(a) Her childhood home.
(b) Dinsdale Elementary School.
(c) Shrewsbury College.
(d) Lord Peter Wimsey.
11. What do the police find when they raid Juke's home in Chapter 9?
(a) Items stolen from students.
(c) Miss Lydgate's manuscript.
(d) Poison pen letters.
12. Where does Harriet stay at her second visit to Oxford?
(a) The Guest Room.
(b) A hotel.
(c) The dormitories.
(d) The Dean's house.
13. While having coffee after the Gaudy Dinner, who questions Harriet about the type of books she writes?
(a) The Dean.
(b) Miss Barton.
(c) Miss Winters.
(d) Miss Mollison.
14. When telling her about the New Library vandalism, what does Harriet smell in Miss Burrow the librarian's room?
15. What happens to Shrewsbury College while the lights are out due to removed fuses?
(a) Acts of vandalism.
(b) Acts of murder.
(c) A kidnapping.
(d) A fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Miss Pyke discovers that what is missing right before she has to lecture?
2. Who approaches Peter while he is reading a letter from Harriet?
3. In Chapter 4, what does a servant find under the table where Peter and Harriet were dining?
4. At the end of Chapter 8, where does Harriet go for a soothing influence?
5. On the way back to her room after having coffee, what does Harriet find?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)