|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 6, Harriet wakes herself up calling for whom?
(b) The poltergeist.
2. Whom do the Fellows and Tutors originally suspect as the culprit of the letters and vandalism?
(a) The porter.
(b) A first year student.
(c) A faculty member.
(d) A scout.
3. Who approaches Peter while he is reading a letter from Harriet?
(a) A Count.
(b) Peter's brother.
4. What is Harriet doing when the lights go out in Tudor?
(a) Helping Miss Lydgate with proofs.
(b) Researching Sheridan Le Fanu.
(c) Talking to Miss Martin.
5. How were the notes written?
(a) From book clippings.
(b) From newspaper clippings.
(c) By hand.
(d) By typewriter.
6. Harriet suggests to the Dean that what be installed on the top of the walls?
(c) Barbed wire.
7. After the Gaudy Dinner, who invites Harriet for coffee?
(a) The Dean.
(b) The Warden.
(c) Mary Stokes.
(d) Phoebe Tucker.
8. What is Miss Lydgate clutching as the lights go off across the Quad?
(a) A rolling pin.
(b) A student.
(c) Her torch.
(d) Her proofs.
9. Who is standing in front of the fuse box by the West Staircase?
(b) Miss Barton.
10. Whose manuscript has been mutilated in an act of vandalism?
(a) Miss Lydgate's.
(b) Miss Martin's.
(c) The Warden's.
(d) Miss Vine's.
11. Whom was Shrewsbury College named after?
(a) Mary, Countess of Shrewsbury, who was considered greater than her husband.
(b) Lord Shrewsbury, who first allowed women to attend Oxford.
(c) Lord Shrewsbury, who founded the college.
(d) Mary, Countess of Shrewsbury, who was meek and mild mannered.
12. Whom does Harriet offer to help with proof sheets?
(a) Miss Barton.
(b) Miss Martin.
(c) Miss Hillyard.
(d) Miss Lydgate.
13. Where does Harriet find a robed figure hanging from the ceiling?
(a) The library.
(b) The chapel.
(c) The tower.
(d) The clock.
14. Harriet and the Dean discuss the absence of what in the malevolent notes?
(b) Proper names.
15. To what does Saint-George invite Harriet after their first meeting?
(a) A Mayday festival.
(d) The theatre.
Short Answer Questions
1. Harriet suggests engaging investigators who disguise themselves as what?
2. After being acquitted of murder, where had Harriet traveled?
3. Which old classmate of Harriet's is an archaeologist?
4. Who telephones to get new fuses?
5. At the New Library ceremony, the maid Annie tells Harriet that the vandalism began after who arrived?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)