|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack Marshall do every day?
2. Who gets "winged?"
3. What do all the old black men, and women and children do after Charlie dies?
4. Why does Candy slap Lou in the car?
5. Who shot Mapes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Mapes call Charlie "Mr. Biggs?"
2. How many days did the trial last?
3. How were the old men getting a bathroom break?
4. How was Gil welcomed by the people gathered at his father's house?
5. When the shoot-out began, how did the old black men get organized and decide what to do?
6. What did Mapes mean when he told Luke Will that Charlie was now in charge?
7. What was Tee Jack afraid of?
8. What did Miss Merle do to show her disgust at the crowd of old black men?
9. How does Charlie prove he is a man?
10. Why was it important for Charlie to come forward and confess to the murder of Beau?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was Charlie's story of bravery so important to all the black men?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Candy and Beau. How are they the same? Different? What did they mean to their people? How could they change the future?
Essay Topic 3
How will this town be different in the future? Will the events of this day make an impact and really change things, or will everything go back to the way it always was?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)