|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlie do before he charges Luke Will?
2. What does Snookum say that almost gives away Candy's entire plan?
3. During the trial, what was the racial makeup of the observing crowd?
4. Who gets "winged?"
5. Who were the three funerals for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it important that this chapter is narrated by a child?
2. What did Miss Merle do to show her disgust at the crowd of old black men?
3. How does Charlie prove he is a man?
4. What did Mapes mean when he told Luke Will that Charlie was now in charge?
5. How many funerals were there?
6. Who did Mapes put in charge after he was wounded?
7. Why was it important for Charlie to come forward and confess to the murder of Beau?
8. How was Gil welcomed by the people gathered at his father's house?
9. What is Leroy's reaction to getting shot?
10. What was the "nigger room" a symbol of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the story of Fix and his men. Had anything changed through the years? What had changed?
Essay Topic 2
Why was Charlie's story of bravery so important to all the black men?
Essay Topic 3
How was Gil's life different from his family? How was he torn between the two worlds?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)