|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who in the store (bar) thinks that the police should handle the murder?
2. What does Mapes say to Lou?
3. Who shows up from the back of the house at the end of the chapter?
4. After talking on the radio, Mapes makes an announcement to the group. What news does he share?
5. Why were the old black men going to the back of the house one at a time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it important that this chapter is narrated by a child?
2. What was Tee Jack afraid of?
3. Who did Mapes put in charge after he was wounded?
4. How were the old men getting a bathroom break?
5. Why did Mapes call Charlie "Mr. Biggs?"
6. Why was it important for Charlie to come forward and confess to the murder of Beau?
7. Why did Fix need all his sons to agree on a course of action?
8. Who came in from the kitchen and what was he doing there?
9. How many funerals were there?
10. How does Charlie prove he is a man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you feel that Fix and Gil reconciled? Why? Will their lives be different? Will Fix change? Will Gill pull away from his family or join them?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Mapes and Mathu. Describe their friendship. Why are they important to their own people? How will their lives change from the events of this day?
Essay Topic 3
How did each person telling their story make an impact on the story as a whole?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)