|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shows up from the back of the house at the end of the chapter?
2. What did Candy do when she waved goodbye to the old men?
3. What did Lou tell Mapes when he crawled over to him?
4. What did Dirty Red keep asking Charlie?
5. What phrase does Charlie keep saying over and over again?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Charlie prove he is a man?
2. What did Mapes mean when he told Luke Will that Charlie was now in charge?
3. What does Charlie do when the shoot-out begins?
4. What was the "nigger room" a symbol of?
5. What was Tee Jack afraid of?
6. How was Gil welcomed by the people gathered at his father's house?
7. Who did Mapes put in charge after he was wounded?
8. Why did Mapes call Charlie "Mr. Biggs?"
9. Describe the final moments of the shoot-out.
10. How many funerals were there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the black graveyards. What were they symbolizing?
Essay Topic 2
Light-skinned blacks vs. dark-skinned blacks. Explain what is happening in this story between the people who are light-skinned and the people who are dark-skinned. How did these prejudices begin?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Mapes and Mathu. Describe their friendship. Why are they important to their own people? How will their lives change from the events of this day?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)