|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who really raised Candy?
2. Who gets "winged?"
3. Who agreed with Gil?
4. Who did Luke Will say was in charge?
5. Who were the three funerals for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Miss Merle do to show her disgust at the crowd of old black men?
2. What was the "nigger room" a symbol of?
3. Why was it important for Charlie to come forward and confess to the murder of Beau?
4. Who came in from the kitchen and what was he doing there?
5. What was Tee Jack afraid of?
6. What does Charlie do when the shoot-out begins?
7. What is Leroy's reaction to getting shot?
8. What did Mapes mean when he told Luke Will that Charlie was now in charge?
9. How many funerals were there?
10. How were the old men getting a bathroom break?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Candy and Beau. How are they the same? Different? What did they mean to their people? How could they change the future?
Essay Topic 2
How did Mapes change from the beginning of the story to the end of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Why was Charlie's story of bravery so important to all the black men?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)