|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrater of this chapter is on which side of the shoot-out?
2. How did Candy's mother and father die?
3. Where is Snookum when Lou notices him?
4. Who gets shot and cannot move from his position?
5. Who picks up Candy and puts her in his car?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who came in from the kitchen and what was he doing there?
2. Who did Mapes put in charge after he was wounded?
3. What is Leroy's reaction to getting shot?
4. What did Miss Merle do to show her disgust at the crowd of old black men?
5. What was Tee Jack afraid of?
6. What does Charlie do when the shoot-out begins?
7. Why is it important that this chapter is narrated by a child?
8. How many days did the trial last?
9. Why did Mapes call Charlie "Mr. Biggs?"
10. Why was it important for Charlie to come forward and confess to the murder of Beau?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss past, present and future. What characters in this story represent the past? The present? The future?
Essay Topic 2
Which characters do you think changed the most and the least in this story. Why? What made them change or not change?
Essay Topic 3
Light-skinned blacks vs. dark-skinned blacks. Explain what is happening in this story between the people who are light-skinned and the people who are dark-skinned. How did these prejudices begin?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)