|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tee Jack do to calm Luke Will and his friends?
2. What was Leroy's reaction?
3. What would bring the court to laughing?
4. How many days did the trail go on?
5. What phrase does Charlie keep saying over and over again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Mapes put in charge after he was wounded?
2. Why is it important that this chapter is narrated by a child?
3. What is Leroy's reaction to getting shot?
4. Why did Fix need all his sons to agree on a course of action?
5. How was Gil welcomed by the people gathered at his father's house?
6. When the shoot-out began, how did the old black men get organized and decide what to do?
7. What does Charlie do when the shoot-out begins?
8. How many funerals were there?
9. How many days did the trial last?
10. What was the "nigger room" a symbol of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was Charlie's story of bravery so important to all the black men?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Mapes and Mathu. Describe their friendship. Why are they important to their own people? How will their lives change from the events of this day?
Essay Topic 3
Which characters do you think changed the most and the least in this story. Why? What made them change or not change?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)