|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shows up from the back of the house at the end of the chapter?
2. Who in the store (bar) thinks that the police should handle the murder?
3. Who talks Candy into ending the events of the day?
4. How many days did the trail go on?
5. How old is Charlie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Mapes put in charge after he was wounded?
2. Why did Fix need all his sons to agree on a course of action?
3. Why did Mapes call Charlie "Mr. Biggs?"
4. How did Mapes get the group of old men to decide to end the evening?
5. What was the "nigger room" a symbol of?
6. What was Tee Jack afraid of?
7. Why was it important for Charlie to come forward and confess to the murder of Beau?
8. How were the old men getting a bathroom break?
9. How many funerals were there?
10. Describe the final moments of the shoot-out.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Light-skinned blacks vs. dark-skinned blacks. Explain what is happening in this story between the people who are light-skinned and the people who are dark-skinned. How did these prejudices begin?
Essay Topic 2
Relationships between white and black in this town in the Deep South. Explain the relationships between the black and white people in this town. Why didn't they change after slavery and after civil rights? Why is this town so far behind the times?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Mapes slapping the men and Miss Merle slapping Janey. What did each of these events symbolize? How are they the same? Different?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)