|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The old men want to talk inside the house alone. They do not want Candy in the house with them. Candy gets very angry. What does Mapes say is Candy's motivation?
2. Who was sitting on the bed crying?
3. What does Luke Will notice about Tee Jack at the end of the chapter?
4. Who was sitting in Fix's lap?
5. How many days did the trail go on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it important for Charlie to come forward and confess to the murder of Beau?
2. Who came in from the kitchen and what was he doing there?
3. How was Gil welcomed by the people gathered at his father's house?
4. How were the old men getting a bathroom break?
5. Describe the final moments of the shoot-out.
6. What was Tee Jack afraid of?
7. What does Charlie do when the shoot-out begins?
8. What did Mapes mean when he told Luke Will that Charlie was now in charge?
9. Why did Mapes call Charlie "Mr. Biggs?"
10. Why is it important that this chapter is narrated by a child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Light-skinned blacks vs. dark-skinned blacks. Explain what is happening in this story between the people who are light-skinned and the people who are dark-skinned. How did these prejudices begin?
Essay Topic 2
Relationships between white and black in this town in the Deep South. Explain the relationships between the black and white people in this town. Why didn't they change after slavery and after civil rights? Why is this town so far behind the times?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Mapes slapping the men and Miss Merle slapping Janey. What did each of these events symbolize? How are they the same? Different?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)