|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do all the old black men, and women and children do after Charlie dies?
2. How many days did the trail go on?
3. Who does Charlie call Parrain?
4. What has Charlie done his whole life until today?
5. What does Tee Jack do to calm Luke Will and his friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many days did the trial last?
2. How many funerals were there?
3. How does Charlie prove he is a man?
4. How was Gil welcomed by the people gathered at his father's house?
5. Who did Mapes put in charge after he was wounded?
6. What did Mapes mean when he told Luke Will that Charlie was now in charge?
7. When the shoot-out began, how did the old black men get organized and decide what to do?
8. Why was it important for Charlie to come forward and confess to the murder of Beau?
9. Why did Fix need all his sons to agree on a course of action?
10. What was the "nigger room" a symbol of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Candy and Beau. How are they the same? Different? What did they mean to their people? How could they change the future?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Miss Merle and Charlie. How do they represent the past, present and future? What would they like their world's to look like? What will change in Miss Merle's world after the events of the story? How will the friends of Charlie's be changed by his death?
Essay Topic 3
How will this town be different in the future? Will the events of this day make an impact and really change things, or will everything go back to the way it always was?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)