|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the "nigger room" in Tee Jack's store?
2. Who talks Candy into ending the events of the day?
3. Who narrates this chapter?
4. Who gets shot and cannot move from his position?
5. What did Mathu ask Snookum to get from the house when the sandwiches came?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Tee Jack afraid of?
2. Why did Mapes call Charlie "Mr. Biggs?"
3. What is Leroy's reaction to getting shot?
4. Who came in from the kitchen and what was he doing there?
5. When the shoot-out began, how did the old black men get organized and decide what to do?
6. What does Charlie do when the shoot-out begins?
7. What was the "nigger room" a symbol of?
8. How many days did the trial last?
9. Why was it important for Charlie to come forward and confess to the murder of Beau?
10. How did Mapes get the group of old men to decide to end the evening?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Miss Merle and Charlie. How do they represent the past, present and future? What would they like their world's to look like? What will change in Miss Merle's world after the events of the story? How will the friends of Charlie's be changed by his death?
Essay Topic 2
Why were the old black men brave now but hadn't been before?
Essay Topic 3
Do you feel that Fix and Gil reconciled? Why? Will their lives be different? Will Fix change? Will Gill pull away from his family or join them?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)