|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack Marshall do every day?
2. What does Snookum say that almost gives away Candy's entire plan?
3. How far did Charlie go before he was hit?
4. Who really raised Candy?
5. What action did Gil want his father to take about the death of his brother, Beau?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Fix need all his sons to agree on a course of action?
2. Describe the final moments of the shoot-out.
3. What was the "nigger room" a symbol of?
4. How was Gil welcomed by the people gathered at his father's house?
5. What does Charlie do when the shoot-out begins?
6. What was Tee Jack afraid of?
7. How many days did the trial last?
8. What did Mapes mean when he told Luke Will that Charlie was now in charge?
9. Who did Mapes put in charge after he was wounded?
10. How many funerals were there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which characters do you think changed the most and the least in this story. Why? What made them change or not change?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Miss Merle and Charlie. How do they represent the past, present and future? What would they like their world's to look like? What will change in Miss Merle's world after the events of the story? How will the friends of Charlie's be changed by his death?
Essay Topic 3
How did each person telling their story make an impact on the story as a whole?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)