|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Snookum say that almost gives away Candy's entire plan?
2. What was Leroy's reaction?
3. Once the old men are in the field, what do they do?
4. Why do the old men call Mapes into the house?
5. Who really raised Candy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the "nigger room" a symbol of?
2. What was Tee Jack afraid of?
3. Why did Fix need all his sons to agree on a course of action?
4. Why is it important that this chapter is narrated by a child?
5. What does Charlie do when the shoot-out begins?
6. What is Leroy's reaction to getting shot?
7. How was Gil welcomed by the people gathered at his father's house?
8. How were the old men getting a bathroom break?
9. Who did Mapes put in charge after he was wounded?
10. What did Miss Merle do to show her disgust at the crowd of old black men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mapes slapping the men and Miss Merle slapping Janey. What did each of these events symbolize? How are they the same? Different?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss man vs. machine. The tractors vs. mules. How had life on the plantation changed due to this invention?
Essay Topic 3
How did each person telling their story make an impact on the story as a whole?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)