|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luke Will say to Mapes about Charlie?
2. What is the "nigger room" in Tee Jack's store?
3. What does Luke Will's gang do at the end of the chapter?
4. What was different about the way Yank hollered?
5. How did Candy's mother and father die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Mapes put in charge after he was wounded?
2. How many days did the trial last?
3. How does Charlie prove he is a man?
4. What was the "nigger room" a symbol of?
5. What does Charlie do when the shoot-out begins?
6. Who came in from the kitchen and what was he doing there?
7. How many funerals were there?
8. How did Mapes get the group of old men to decide to end the evening?
9. When the shoot-out began, how did the old black men get organized and decide what to do?
10. What did Miss Merle do to show her disgust at the crowd of old black men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which characters do you think changed the most and the least in this story. Why? What made them change or not change?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Mapes slapping the men and Miss Merle slapping Janey. What did each of these events symbolize? How are they the same? Different?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss past, present and future. What characters in this story represent the past? The present? The future?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)