|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Charlie done his whole life until today?
2. Who was sitting on the bed crying?
3. Who picks up Candy and puts her in his car?
4. After talking on the radio, Mapes makes an announcement to the group. What news does he share?
5. What did Mathu ask Snookum to get from the house when the sandwiches came?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Leroy's reaction to getting shot?
2. Why did Fix need all his sons to agree on a course of action?
3. What does Charlie do when the shoot-out begins?
4. Why did Mapes call Charlie "Mr. Biggs?"
5. What did Miss Merle do to show her disgust at the crowd of old black men?
6. Who came in from the kitchen and what was he doing there?
7. Describe the final moments of the shoot-out.
8. How many days did the trial last?
9. How does Charlie prove he is a man?
10. When the shoot-out began, how did the old black men get organized and decide what to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss past, present and future. What characters in this story represent the past? The present? The future?
Essay Topic 2
How will this town be different in the future? Will the events of this day make an impact and really change things, or will everything go back to the way it always was?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the black graveyards. What were they symbolizing?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)