|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the trial, what was the racial makeup of the observing crowd?
2. What does Charlie do before he charges Luke Will?
3. What did Fix do when Gil did not agree with him?
4. Who was sitting in Fix's lap?
5. Who gets shot and cannot move from his position?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Leroy's reaction to getting shot?
2. Who came in from the kitchen and what was he doing there?
3. Who did Mapes put in charge after he was wounded?
4. How many funerals were there?
5. What was the "nigger room" a symbol of?
6. Why did Mapes call Charlie "Mr. Biggs?"
7. Describe the final moments of the shoot-out.
8. What did Miss Merle do to show her disgust at the crowd of old black men?
9. How does Charlie prove he is a man?
10. How many days did the trial last?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why were the old black men brave now but hadn't been before?
Essay Topic 2
Relationships between white and black in this town in the Deep South. Explain the relationships between the black and white people in this town. Why didn't they change after slavery and after civil rights? Why is this town so far behind the times?
Essay Topic 3
Do you feel that Fix and Gil reconciled? Why? Will their lives be different? Will Fix change? Will Gill pull away from his family or join them?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)