Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Candy's parents die?
(a) They are murdered.
(b) In a car wreck.
(c) In an airplane crash.
(d) Of natural causes.
2. What kind of a cap is Chimley wearing?
(a) A straw hat.
(b) His army hat.
(c) A Dodgers' baseball cap.
(d) A very smart dress hat.
3. What does Clatoo do with the shoe box?
(a) He hides the shoe box behind the second block under the house.
(b) He hides the shoe box in the kitchen.
(c) He hides the shoe box in the outhouse.
(d) He hides the shoe box in the field out back.
4. When does Chimley not mind being called by his nickname?
(a) When Mr. Lou talks to him.
(b) When his momma talks to him.
(c) When his friends are talking to him.
(d) When Candy talks to him.
5. How does Mapes, the sheriff, prove that Uncle Billy does not shoot Beau?
(a) Mapes looks at Uncle Billy's gun.
(b) Mapes tells Uncle Billy to shoot Mathu.
(c) Mapes asks Uncle Billy to aim at one of the bean poles and shoot.
(d) Mapes notices how thick Uncle Billy's glasses are.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Janey keep looking down toward the highway?
2. The group of old black men arrive at Mathu's house. Each old black man takes a position in the yard, surrounding Mathu's house. At this point, what does each man do or say?
3. What is Chimley sitting on while he is fishing?
4. Which animal does Janey say Miss Merle looks like?
5. What does Yank do in his younger days?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes in from the kitchen and what is he doing there? Where is he all day?
2. When Miss Merle arrives with sandwiches, what does she do to show her disgust at the crowd of old black men?
3. Why does Candy tell all the old black men to shoot their guns once?
4. Why does Miss Merle slap Janey and why does Janey stand there and take it?
5. Why is Gil torn between love for his family and sadness over their past actions?
6. What is happening to the black graveyards?
7. Why does each old black man claim responsibility for the murder of Beau?
8. What color is the dress Corrine wears and the color of the bedspread she uses to cover the body? Why is this important?
9. Why is it important that this chapter is narrated by a child?
10. What does Gil's coach want to tell Gill? Why aren't Cal and Sully in this meeting?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)