|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mat tell his wife about the shotguns?
(a) He said they were going hunting.
(b) There was a lynch mob on the way.
(c) He saw some rabbits he wanted to shoot.
(d) There was trouble at Mathu's house.
2. What did Miss Merle see when she turned into the quarters?
(a) The tractor.
(b) Candy's black LTD.
(c) Men everywhere with shotguns.
(d) All of the above.
3. How did Mapes, the sheriff, prove that Uncle Billy could not have shot Beau?
(a) Mapes looked at Uncle Billy's gun.
(b) Mapes told Uncle Billy to shoot Mathu.
(c) Mapes noticed how thick Uncle Billy's glasses were.
(d) Mapes asked Uncle Billy to aim at one of the bean poles and shoot.
4. Who narrates this chapter?
(c) Lou Dimes.
5. Who did Ella call?
(a) Uncle Billy's house.
(b) Miss Merle.
(c) The police.
(d) Mathu's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lou Dimes work?
2. What was next to Beau's body?
3. When Miss Merle arrives back at the Marshall house, what does she tell Bea?
4. What days did Mat and Chimley fish on the river?
5. What did Candy say to Miss Merle when she saw her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Janey do when she hears the news of the murder?
2. Why did Mathu look down on some of the men who came to help him?
3. What is the significance of Janey scolding Snookum to call Candy "Miss Candy" and Lou "Mr. Lou?"
4. Why did Chimley not mind if black people called him by his nickhame, but hated it when white people used his nickname?
5. Why was Gil torn between love for his family and sadness over their past actions?
6. Who is Janey and who does she work for?
7. What had happened on the river that narrowed the fishing area for Chimley and Mat?
8. Who was Oliver?
9. Why did all the men shoot their guns once?
10. What was the significance of the argument between Mat and his wife?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)