|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Mat decide to go to Mathu's?
(a) Mat didn't have anywhere else to go.
(b) Mat thought it would be a good place to hide.
(c) Mat thought it was his last chance.
(d) Mat thought it was better than going home.
2. Why do Mat and Chimley fish only in one small spot?
(a) Because they are hiding from the white people.
(b) Because they play cards at the same place.
(c) The white people have bought up the land along the river and left little room to fish.
(d) Because that is the best place to catch fish.
3. Who baked the apple pie?
(a) Miss Bea.
(b) Miss Merle.
(d) Lucy, Miss Merle's servant.
4. What is the garry?
(a) The cane field.
(b) The front porch, the garrett.
(c) The shady side of the house.
(d) The pecan groves.
5. Janey calls two people on the phone. Who are they?
(a) Mathu and Candy.
(b) Lou Dimes and Miss Merle.
(c) Miss Bea and the Major.
(d) Toddy and Minnie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Candy ask Snookum to do?
2. How many years had Miss Merle known Candy?
3. What does Bea need before she will think of more names?
4. What are the tractor's getting closer and closer to?
5. What time is it when Miss Merle spots the Major asleep in the swing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Candy want more men and more shotguns at Mathu's house?
2. What color was the dress Corrine wore and the color of the bedspread used to cover the body? Why is this important?
3. Why was Bea unconcerned that Beau had been killed?
4. Who was Tucker's brother and what was the battle that brought man against machine?
5. What does Janey do when she hears the news of the murder?
6. How can readers tell that Gram Mon is poor?
7. Why was Gil torn between love for his family and sadness over their past actions?
8. What was Johnny Paul talking about when he talked to Mapes about what he couldn't see?
9. How did Gable describe the death of his sixteen-year-old son?
10. Why did Miss Merle slap Janey and why did Janey stand there and take it?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)