|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Beulah angry about?
(a) The way black women had been treated through the years.
(b) She thought that everyone was going to get killed that day.
(c) That all the old black men had guns.
(d) Everyone was hungry and needed food.
2. When Gil arrived at the scene of the crime, how long had his brother been dead?
(a) About a half a day.
(b) About a full day.
(c) About two hours.
(d) About four hours.
3. When Miss Merle arrives back at the Marshall house, what does she tell Bea?
(a) That Beau Boutan is dead.
(b) That she needs a twelve-gauge shotgun.
(c) That she brought an apple pie for Jack.
(d) That she needs a drink.
4. Who helped raise Candy?
(c) Miss Merle.
5. Why do Mat and Chimley fish only in one small spot?
(a) Because they play cards at the same place.
(b) Because they are hiding from the white people.
(c) The white people have bought up the land along the river and left little room to fish.
(d) Because that is the best place to catch fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did each old black man do and say?
2. When Miss Merle is talking about "Jack" who is she referring to?
3. Where did Chimley keep his number five shells?
4. What did Mapes have in his mouth most of the time?
5. How did Chimley fire his gun?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Gil torn between love for his family and sadness over their past actions?
2. What did Gil's coach want to tell Gill?
3. Why did Chimley not mind if black people called him by his nickhame, but hated it when white people used his nickname?
4. What had happened on the river that narrowed the fishing area for Chimley and Mat?
5. What was the significance of Chimley's name?
6. Why was it important for the author to show violence against women in the black community?
7. Why was Bea unconcerned that Beau had been killed?
8. What is the significance of Mat's full name?
9. How can readers tell that Gram Mon is poor?
10. What was the significance of empty number five shells?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)