|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Candy's parents die?
(a) They were murdered.
(b) Of natural causes.
(c) In an airplane crash.
(d) In a car wreck.
2. Why is Gil upset with Mapes, the sheriff?
(a) Gil thinks Mapes should have moved the body by now.
(b) Gil thinks Mapes should arrest Candy.
(c) Gil can't believe that there have been no arrests made.
(d) Gil thinks Mapes is stalling to wait until Fix and the lynch mob arrive.
3. Where did Chimley keep his number five shells?
(a) In a cigar box.
(b) Under the house.
(c) In a safe.
(d) In a coffee can.
4. What does Miss Merle tell Janey to do?
(a) Go to Marshall.
(b) Wake the Major.
(d) Call Lou Dimes again.
5. What are the tractor's getting closer and closer to?
(a) The black graveyard.
(b) Candy's house.
(c) Mathu's house.
(d) The houses at the quarters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Janey live?
2. Where does Lou Dimes work?
3. What two things did Mapes ask his deputy, Griffin, to say on the radio?
4. Why did the two men continue to fish after they heard about the murder?
5. How did the fight start between Fix and Mathu?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Johnny Paul talking about when he talked to Mapes about what he couldn't see?
2. Why did Mat and Chimley wait before they took action?
3. Why did all the men shoot their guns once?
4. Why did Gil look at Cal like he hated him?
5. Why did Cherry talk about the fields of cane? What are the fields of cane a symbol of for Cherry's people?
6. Why did Mathu look down on some of the men who came to help him?
7. What was happening to the black graveyards?
8. What is the significance of Janey scolding Snookum to call Candy "Miss Candy" and Lou "Mr. Lou?"
9. How did each man claim responsibility for the murder of Beau?
10. What was the significance of the argument between Mat and his wife?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)