|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many miles did Lou drive from Baron rouge to Marshall?
(b) One hundred.
(c) Five hundred.
2. What kind of a cap was Chimley wearing?
(a) His army hat.
(b) A Dodgers' baseball cap.
(c) A very smart dress hat.
(d) A straw hat.
3. Why had Coot not worn his WWI uniform in years?
(a) White men told him not to wear it in public.
(b) Nobody knew what it meant.
(c) It didn't fit well anymore.
(d) White men beat him up for wearing it in public.
4. Where did the group walk to at the end of the chapter?
(a) To Mathu's house.
(b) To the white graveyard.
(c) To Clatoo's truck.
(d) To town to get the sheriff.
5. Where does Janey say that Miss Bea and Major are?
(a) Eating in the kitchen.
(b) Out back in the field collecting pecans.
(c) Drinking on the porch.
(d) In the house trying to sleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Tessie?
2. What did Mapes do to try to get the truth from the old men?
3. How did Candy's parents die?
4. What did Mapes have in his mouth most of the time?
5. What days did Mat and Chimley fish on the river?
Short Essay Questions
1. What color was the dress Corrine wore and the color of the bedspread used to cover the body? Why is this important?
2. Why did Mathu look down on some of the men who came to help him?
3. How can readers tell that Gram Mon is poor?
4. Why was it important for the author to show violence against women in the black community?
5. How does the reader know where the story is taking place?
6. Who was Tucker's brother and what was the battle that brought man against machine?
7. What was the significance of empty number five shells?
8. What had happened on the river that narrowed the fishing area for Chimley and Mat?
9. What does Janey do when she hears the news of the murder?
10. What was happening to the black graveyards?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)