|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helped raise Candy?
(a) Miss Merle.
2. Why did the two men continue to fish after they heard about the murder?
(a) They were thinking about where to hide.
(b) The were scared because of what had happened in the past.
(c) They were waiting for further instructions.
(d) They were waiting for their wives to call them to dinner.
3. Who was Tessie?
(a) A white woman who claimed she was raped by Jacob.
(b) Jacob's sister.
(c) Chimley's wife.
(d) Jacob's mother.
4. What was happening the next day?
(a) A county fair.
(b) A demonstration on campus.
(c) A big football practice that Gil had to attend.
(d) A big football game between LSU and Ole Miss.
5. When Miss Merle is talking about "Jack" who is she referring to?
(b) The Major.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Miss Merle in such a hurry to get to the quarters?
2. Where does Lou Dimes work?
3. Who is Snookum's grandmother?
4. What did Candy ask Corrine to get from inside the house?
5. Why did Miss Merle bring a pie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Gil's coach want to tell Gill?
2. What does Janey do when she hears the news of the murder?
3. Who are the Major and Miss Bea?
4. What had happened on the river that narrowed the fishing area for Chimley and Mat?
5. What was the significance of Chimley's name?
6. Why was Gil torn between love for his family and sadness over their past actions?
7. What did it mean when they saw dust on the road? What was this a symbol of?
8. What is the significance of Janey scolding Snookum to call Candy "Miss Candy" and Lou "Mr. Lou?"
9. What was the significance of empty number five shells?
10. What was the significance of the argument between Mat and his wife?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)