|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Gil want most?
(a) To do whatever his dad, Fix wanted him to do.
(b) To kill the man who killed his brother.
(c) To be All-American with Cal.
(d) To finish school without any trouble.
2. When Miss Merle is talking about "Jack" who is she referring to?
(a) The Major.
3. Where does Lou Dimes work?
(a) In the sugar can fields.
(b) At the concrete plant.
(c) At the Marshall's main house.
(d) At a newspaper in Baton Rouge.
4. How did the fight start between Fix and Mathu?
(a) It started over a Coke bottle.
(b) Fix took Mathu's Coke from him.
(c) Mathu stared at Fix as he was drinking a Coke.
(d) Fix took a Coke without paying for it.
5. When Miss Merle arrives at Mathu's house, what is the first thing that happens?
(a) Candy confesses to the murder.
(b) Lou Dimes confesses to the murder.
(c) Mathu fires at the car.
(d) Snookum finally gets something to eat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Janey tell Miss Merle that Beau was killed?
2. What did Chimley's wife say when Chimley came home?
3. According to Chimley's story, who got in a fistfight with Fix?
4. Why had Coot not worn his WWI uniform in years?
5. What happened to Oliver?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Mat's full name?
2. How can readers tell that Gram Mon is poor?
3. Why did Miss Merle slap Janey and why did Janey stand there and take it?
4. Why did Clatoo stop the truck before he got to Mathu's?
5. Why did Gil look at Cal like he hated him?
6. What was Johnny Paul talking about when he talked to Mapes about what he couldn't see?
7. What did Gil's coach want to tell Gill?
8. How did Gable describe the death of his sixteen-year-old son?
9. Why was Gil torn between love for his family and sadness over their past actions?
10. What had happened on the river that narrowed the fishing area for Chimley and Mat?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)