|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Gable's sixteen-year-old son put to death?
(a) A white woman claimed he raped her.
(b) Gable's son started a fight in town and hit a white man.
(c) Gable's son stared at a white man's wife.
(d) Gable's son ran away from home.
2. What position did Gil play on the football team?
3. What days did Mat and Chimley fish on the river?
(a) Saturdays only.
(b) Mondays and Wednesdays.
(c) Sundays after church.
(d) Tuesdays and Thursdays.
4. What was happening the next day?
(a) A big football game between LSU and Ole Miss.
(b) A demonstration on campus.
(c) A county fair.
(d) A big football practice that Gil had to attend.
5. How many years had Miss Merle known Candy?
(a) 25 years.
(b) All Candy's life.
(c) Only a few months.
(d) 5 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Janey tell Miss Bea about the murder?
2. When Miss Merle arrives at Mathu's house, what is the first thing that happens?
3. Why did Mathu look down on some of the men who arrived to help him?
4. Why didn't the coroner want to get out of the car?
5. Why hadn't Cherry shot his gun?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Janey and who does she work for?
2. What was Johnny Paul talking about when he talked to Mapes about what he couldn't see?
3. Who were Salt and Pepper?
4. Who was Tucker's brother and what was the battle that brought man against machine?
5. Why did Mathu look down on some of the men who came to help him?
6. What are the Major and Miss Bea doing?
7. What is the significance of Mat's full name?
8. What was the significance of the argument between Mat and his wife?
9. How did Gable describe the death of his sixteen-year-old son?
10. How do readers know the year this story is taking place?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)