|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Janey worry when Miss Bea is gathering pecans?
(a) The is worried that Miss Bea will not gather enough pecans for everyone.
(b) She is worried that Miss Bea will be biten by a snake.
(c) She is worried that Miss Bea will return before she gets her housework done.
(d) She is worried that she is drunk and will fall in the tall grass.
2. Why did Mat decide to go to Mathu's?
(a) Mat thought it would be a good place to hide.
(b) Mat thought it was better than going home.
(c) Mat thought it was his last chance.
(d) Mat didn't have anywhere else to go.
3. Why did Mathu look down on some of the men who arrived to help him?
(a) Because they had lighter skin than Mathu.
(b) Because they worked for other people.
(c) Because they were poorer than him.
(d) Because they were lazy in his eyes.
4. Why was the coroner afraid to get out of his car?
(a) He realized that all the old black men were armed.
(b) The deputy told him not to move.
(c) Mapes looked angry because it took him so long to get there.
(d) Candy threatened to shoot him.
5. Why did Miss Merle bring a pie?
(a) For Candy, because she had heard about the murder.
(b) For Miss Bea because she wanted a favor.
(c) For Janey, because she needed help.
(d) For Jack, the Major, because she likes him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Yank dressed?
2. Why does Candy want more men and more twelve-gauge shotguns?
3. What was so important about the "Salt and Pepper" football duo?
4. Who was Tessie?
5. What did Chimley tell his wife when he left the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the significance of empty number five shells?
2. Why was Gil torn between love for his family and sadness over their past actions?
3. Who are the Major and Miss Bea?
4. Why was it important for the author to show violence against women in the black community?
5. What did it mean when they saw dust on the road? What was this a symbol of?
6. Who was Oliver?
7. Why did Jacob feel bad about the death of his sister Tessie when he had nothing to do with her murder?
8. What was happening to the black graveyards?
9. Why did all the men shoot their guns once?
10. What was Johnny Paul talking about when he talked to Mapes about what he couldn't see?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)