|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Janey hear earlier in the day that makes her believe Snookum's story?
(a) Fix's car coming down the road.
(b) Miss Bea coming in the door.
(c) A shot.
(d) The Major waking up.
2. Why do Mat and Chimley fish only in one small spot?
(a) Because they play cards at the same place.
(b) Because they are hiding from the white people.
(c) The white people bring up the land along the river and leave little room to fish.
(d) Because that is the best place to catch fish.
3. What is Yank's job before tractors comes to the sugar cane fields?
(a) Yank is a professional fisherman.
(b) Yank breaks horses.
(c) Yank cuts sugar cane.
(d) Yank is the house servant at the Marshall house.
4. What does Cherry Bello own?
(a) A plantation.
(b) A vegetable truck.
(c) A liquor store and a grocery store.
(d) A gas station.
5. Why doesn't Janey tell Miss Bea about the murder?
(a) Miss Bea hates Beau.
(b) Because Miss Bea in drunk on the porch swing.
(c) She thinks it is like "talking to a wall".
(d) Miss Bea is still asleep and Janey doesn't want to wake her.
Short Answer Questions
1. On their way out of town, what happens to Gil and Sully?
2. When the old black men arrive at the quarters, they each shake hands with Glo. Why does Glo hang on to Clatoo's hand a little longer?
3. Why is Gable's sixteen-year-old son put to death?
4. What does Bea need before she thinks of more names?
5. Why does Clatoo let the men out of the truck before they arrive at Mathu's?
Short Essay Questions
1. Johnny Paul begins talking about what Mapes cannot see. What is Johnny Paul talking about?
2. What is the significance of Janey scolding Snookum to call Candy "Miss Candy" and Lou "Mr. Lou"?
3. Why does Mapes call Charlie "Mr. Biggs"? What does this action mean in the context of the story?
4. Why does Clatoo stop the truck and let all the men out before he goes to Mathu's?
5. What is the significance of the argument between Mat and his wife?
6. What are the Major and Miss Bea doing at this time of the day? What does this indicate about their characters?
7. Describe the final moments of the shoot-out.
8. Why is Bea unconcerned that Beau is killed?
9. Who comes in from the kitchen and what is he doing there? Where is he all day?
10. What color is the dress Corrine wears and the color of the bedspread she uses to cover the body? Why is this important?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)