|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Miss Merle arrives at Mathu's house, what is the first thing that happens?
(a) Lou Dimes confesses to the murder.
(b) Mathu fires at the car.
(c) Candy confesses to the murder.
(d) Snookum finally gets something to eat.
2. At the very beginning of the story, what does Candy ask Snookum to do?
(a) Run and get Toddy and Minnie.
(b) Run and get Lou Dimes.
(c) Run and get Aunt Glo.
(d) Run and get people to gather at Mathu's house.
3. Why is the coroner afraid to get out of his car?
(a) The deputy tells him not to move.
(b) Mapes looks angry because it took the coroner so long to get there.
(c) He realizes that all the old black men are armed.
(d) Candy threatens to shoot him.
4. Why doesn't Janey tell Miss Bea about the murder?
(a) She thinks it is like "talking to a wall".
(b) Miss Bea hates Beau.
(c) Because Miss Bea in drunk on the porch swing.
(d) Miss Bea is still asleep and Janey doesn't want to wake her.
5. When does Chimley not mind being called by his nickname?
(a) When his momma talks to him.
(b) When Candy talks to him.
(c) When Mr. Lou talks to him.
(d) When his friends are talking to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What war does Coot fight in?
2. What does Cherry Bello own?
3. Why do Mat and Chimley fish only in one small spot?
4. When Miss Merle comes to visit the Marshall House, she brings a pie. Who is the pie for and why does she bring the pie?
5. Who is the only man who doesn't have a gun?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Candy tell all the old black men to shoot their guns once?
2. What are the Major and Miss Bea doing at this time of the day? What does this indicate about their characters?
3. What is the significance of Janey scolding Snookum to call Candy "Miss Candy" and Lou "Mr. Lou"?
4. What is the significance of Chimley's name?
5. In Tee Jack's store/bar, what is the "nigger room" and what is it a symbol of?
6. What is the nature of the relationship between Candy and Lou?
7. Who is Tucker's brother and what is the battle that brigs man against machine?
8. How does Gable describe the death of his sixteen-year-old son?
9. How do readers know the year this story is taking place?
10. Who are the Major and Miss Bea?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)