|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is Clabber's skin?
(a) White. Clabber is an albino.
(b) Red. Clabber does not know his parent's heritage.
(c) Very dark like Mathu. He also is almost full African descent.
(d) Light Brown. Clabber is part American Indian.
2. Why do Mat and Chimley fish only in one small spot?
(a) The white people bring up the land along the river and leave little room to fish.
(b) Because they play cards at the same place.
(c) Because that is the best place to catch fish.
(d) Because they are hiding from the white people.
3. Who is Tessie?
(a) Jacob's sister.
(b) A white woman who claims she is raped by Jacob.
(c) Chimley's wife.
(d) Jacob's mother.
4. Who is Aunt Glo?
(a) Gram Mon.
5. Who helps raise Candy?
(a) Miss Merle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Snookum want for a reward for running the errand?
2. Where does Chimley keep his number five shells?
3. On the day of the murder, what is happening the next day that affects Gil's thinking?
4. What does the coach need to tell Gil?
5. Why does Jacob feel bad about his sister's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the argument between Mat and his wife?
2. What does it mean when the old black men see dust on the road? What is this a symbol of?
3. Who comes in from the kitchen and what is he doing there? Where is he all day?
4. After Gil meets with his coach, why does Gil look at Cal like he hates him?
5. Why is Gil torn between love for his family and sadness over their past actions?
6. Why does Miss Merle slap Janey and why does Janey stand there and take it?
7. What does Charlie do when the shoot-out begins? Why are Charlie's actions important to his character development?
8. Why does Mapes call Charlie "Mr. Biggs"? What does this action mean in the context of the story?
9. What is the significance of "empty" number five shells?
10. Who are the Major and Miss Bea?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)