|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was next to Beau's body?
(a) Reverend Jameson
(b) Sugar cane.
(c) Mathu's shotgun.
(d) A tractor that was still running.
2. Where did the group of old men walk to?
(a) To the bank of the river.
(b) The black graveyard.
(c) To the cane fields.
(d) Back to Dirty Red's house.
3. What was the women's reaction to Mapes slapping Uncle Billy and Gable?
(a) They yelled at Mapes.
(b) They ran over and tried to stop Mapes.
(c) They prayed.
(d) They moaned but did not move.
4. What did Chimley tell his wife when he left the house?
(a) To have the fish ready to eat when he returned.
(b) To quit bugging him.
(c) To gather all the women and meet him at Mathu's
(d) The find more men and guns and send them along.
5. Why did Billy miss when he shot at the rabbit?
(a) Billy jumped because he thought it was a snake.
(b) Billy did not have good eyesight.
(c) Billy was known to be a very bad shot with a gun.
(d) Billy heard a shot in the distance that scared him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was so important about the "Salt and Pepper" football duo?
2. Why did the two men continue to fish after they heard about the murder?
3. What was happening the next day?
4. What did the men begin saying one at a time?
5. What did Snookum want for a reward for running the errand?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Gable describe the death of his sixteen-year-old son?
2. How can readers tell that Gram Mon is poor?
3. Why did Miss Merle slap Janey and why did Janey stand there and take it?
4. What did it mean when they saw dust on the road? What was this a symbol of?
5. What did Gil's coach want to tell Gill?
6. Why did all the men shoot their guns once?
7. What is the significance of Janey scolding Snookum to call Candy "Miss Candy" and Lou "Mr. Lou?"
8. Who are the Major and Miss Bea?
9. Who was Oliver?
10. Why did Mathu look down on some of the men who came to help him?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)