|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why hadn't Cherry shot his gun?
(a) He wanted to shoot with the other men.
(b) He thought he might see a good rabbit.
(c) He was afraid the gun was too old and might not work.
(d) He wanted to shoot it at the graveyard.
2. Why do Mat and Chimley fish only in one small spot?
(a) Because that is the best place to catch fish.
(b) The white people have bought up the land along the river and left little room to fish.
(c) Because they play cards at the same place.
(d) Because they are hiding from the white people.
3. What did Mat tell his wife about the shotguns?
(a) There was a lynch mob on the way.
(b) There was trouble at Mathu's house.
(c) He saw some rabbits he wanted to shoot.
(d) He said they were going hunting.
4. Why was Gable's sixteen-year-old son put to death?
(a) Gable's son started a fight in town and hit a white man.
(b) Gable's son ran away from home.
(c) A white woman claimed he raped her.
(d) Gable's son stared at a white man's wife.
5. Where did Sully drive Gil?
(a) To Mathu's house.
(b) To the big game with Ole Miss.
(c) To Baton Rouge
(d) To the Marshall house to see Major.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Chimley's wife say when Chimley came home?
2. Who was Tessie?
3. What are the tractor's getting closer and closer to?
4. When Miss Merle arrives back at the Marshall house, what does she tell Bea?
5. How did Mapes know Mathu?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Jacob feel bad about the death of his sister Tessie when he had nothing to do with her murder?
2. Why did Candy want more men and more shotguns at Mathu's house?
3. Why was Bea unconcerned that Beau had been killed?
4. What was the goal of Reverend Jameson?
5. How does the reader know where the story is taking place?
6. Who were Salt and Pepper?
7. Who is Janey and who does she work for?
8. Why did Chimley not mind if black people called him by his nickhame, but hated it when white people used his nickname?
9. What was Johnny Paul talking about when he talked to Mapes about what he couldn't see?
10. Why did Mat and Chimley wait before they took action?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)