|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kira do while she waits for the storm in Chapter 12 to pass?
2. Which character takes Kira's place in the weaving shed?
3. How did Kira's father manage to escape the Field of Leaving?
4. What is the atmosphere in the Council Edifice as people gather for the singing of the Ruin song?
5. Where does Kira's friend Marlena work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Gathering ceremony resemble?
2. How have the words of the Ruin song been distorted over time?
3. Describe the Fen.
4. What is suspicious about Annabella's death?
5. How are Kira, Thomas, and Jo treated during the Gathering ceremony?
6. How does Kira react when Jamison refuses to allow her to watch over Annabella's body in the Field of Leaving?
7. What do the Ruin song and the Singer's robe reveal about the history of Kira's world?
8. Describe the village Matt encountered on his journey to find "blue".
9. Describe Thomas, Kira, and Matt's exploration of the lower floor of the Edifice.
10. How does Thomas demonstrate his mischievous side and surprise Kira in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the significance of the Singer's robe. What does it symbolize for Kira's people? By the end of the novel, what does it symbolize to Kira? How can the robe be used to alter the future of Kira's village?
Essay Topic 2
What are the physical, social, emotional, and spiritual affects the deaths of Kira's parents have on her character? How does Kira's need to physically survive outweigh her emotional needs?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the significance of the Ruin Song. What does it symbolize for Kira's people? How has it been altered though the years? What effect does this alteration have on Kira's people? After the Gathering, what does the Ruin Song symbolize to Kira?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)