|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the atmosphere in the Council Edifice as people gather for the singing of the Ruin song?
2. Which character takes Kira's place in the weaving shed?
3. What title is Kira given during the Ruin song ceremony?
4. How does the Ruin song begin?
5. What comment does Jo have in Chapter 16 about the songs she sings?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Thomas, Kira, and Matt's exploration of the lower floor of the Edifice.
2. What do the Ruin song and the Singer's robe reveal about the history of Kira's world?
3. How does Thomas demonstrate his mischievous side and surprise Kira in Chapter 15?
4. Why does Kira cry after returning from Jo's room at the end of Chapter 16?
5. How does Kira spend her rainy day in Chapter 12?
6. What does Kira find suspicious about Jo's situation, and why?
7. What is suspicious about Annabella's death?
8. Who is the blind man and what is his significance in the story?
9. What is Kira to do on the blank section of the Singer's robe, and how does she react to her new task?
10. Describe the village Matt encountered on his journey to find "blue".
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of women in the novel. Compare and contrast the roles of men and women in Kira's society. What limits are placed on women? How does being a woman affect Kira's character development?
Essay Topic 2
How does Kira's disability affect her status in society? What strength will she need to develop in order to survive in her village? What talents does Kira have and how can she use them for survival?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the Edifice and the Council of Guardians. What does the Edifice symbolize? What is the likely history behind the Edifice? What is the purpose of the Council of Guardians? How do the Guardians use the Edifice to control the population?
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)