|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While learning the plants used to create cloth dyes, what has Kira also been learning?
2. Who has Kira not seen during her stay in the Edifice?
3. How will Kira know what to embroider on the blank patch of cloth?
4. Where does Kira's friend Marlena work?
5. What comment does Marlena make about Jo?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kira react when Jamison refuses to allow her to watch over Annabella's body in the Field of Leaving?
2. How do the villagers and Matt's family react to his absence?
3. Describe the village Matt encountered on his journey to find "blue".
4. How does Thomas demonstrate his mischievous side and surprise Kira in Chapter 15?
5. How have the words of the Ruin song been distorted over time?
6. Describe Kira and Thomas' visit to Jo in Chapter 16.
7. Describe what is known about the character Jo by the end of Chapter 13.
8. What is suspicious about Annabella's death?
9. Who is the blind man and what is his significance in the story?
10. Why does Kira cry after returning from Jo's room at the end of Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the physical, social, emotional, and spiritual affects the deaths of Kira's parents have on her character? How does Kira's need to physically survive outweigh her emotional needs?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the value of friendship and giving in the novel. Compare and contrast the children's friendships with the relationships evident among other characters in the villages. How do their friendships affect their character development, and even their survival?
Essay Topic 3
How is literacy linked to power in the novel? What are the Guardians attempting to control by keeping more than half the population illiterate? How will Kira's ability to read affect her character? How might it affect all women in her society?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)