|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After her visit to Jo in Chapter 16, what does Kira do once she is back in her own bed?
2. What is unusual about Christopher's village?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 13, whose voice do Kira and her friends hear speaking harshly in the lower floor of the Edifice?
4. What unusual sound does Kira hear at the beginning of the Ruin song ceremony?
5. What revelation does Matt have about the beasts in the woods?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Matt's journey through the woods reveal?
2. Who is the blind man and what is his significance in the story?
3. Describe Thomas, Kira, and Matt's exploration of the lower floor of the Edifice.
4. What is Jamison's role in the attack on Christopher?
5. How does Thomas demonstrate his mischievous side and surprise Kira in Chapter 15?
6. What does the Gathering ceremony resemble?
7. What does Thomas claim to have heard in Chapter 12 and how do the children react to his claim?
8. What do the Ruin song and the Singer's robe reveal about the history of Kira's world?
9. Why is Kira's father still alive?
10. Describe what is known about the character Jo by the end of Chapter 13.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the general purpose of the destruction of Kira's cott? What other motive or purpose might the villagers have had for destroying Kira's property? What does the destruction of her cott symbolize to Kira? How will it affect her future?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the forms of communication that have replaced writing in Kira's society. How have these forms of communication altered the education, history, and government of Kira's people? How will their continued use affect the future of Kira's people?
Essay Topic 3
Which character symbolizes hope in the novel, and why? How is this character used by the guardians? What does Kira plan to do for this character in the future? How is Kira a guardian of hope for her people?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)