|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Thomas and Kira bring with them as they visit Jo in Chapter 16?
2. Which character takes Kira's place in the weaving shed?
3. What claim does Thomas make about his and Kira's parents in Chapter 13?
4. Where does Christopher ask Kira to go?
5. What frightens Kira as the Ruin song resumes after lunch?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the villagers and Matt's family react to his absence?
2. How are Kira, Thomas, and Jo treated during the Gathering ceremony?
3. How does Thomas demonstrate his mischievous side and surprise Kira in Chapter 15?
4. Describe Thomas, Kira, and Matt's exploration of the lower floor of the Edifice.
5. What does the Gathering ceremony resemble?
6. Why does Kira cry after returning from Jo's room at the end of Chapter 16?
7. How have the words of the Ruin song been distorted over time?
8. Describe the village Matt encountered on his journey to find "blue".
9. What does Kira find suspicious about Jo's situation, and why?
10. What is Kira to do on the blank section of the Singer's robe, and how does she react to her new task?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character symbolizes hope in the novel, and why? How is this character used by the guardians? What does Kira plan to do for this character in the future? How is Kira a guardian of hope for her people?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the cycles evident in the novel. Is the purpose of the Singer's robe to predict cycles, prevent cycles, or break cycles, and why? If the robe, staff, and Ruin Song are unable to break the cycle that destroys societies, what will?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the contrasts evident among the different levels of society present in the book. How does a character's area of residence affect his or her ability to survive? How does a character's area of residence affect the power or control he or she has over others? How does Kira's change of residence affect her character development? How does Matt's ability to access the Edifice affect his character development?
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)