|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What area do Kira and Thomas pass as they look for Matt in Chapter 17?
2. Where does Kira's friend Marlena work?
3. What is Matt's "big" gift for Kira in Chapter 21?
4. According to Matt's brother, where has Matt gone?
5. What does Jamison expect Kira to tell everyone with her needle and thread?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kira spend her rainy day in Chapter 12?
2. How have the words of the Ruin song been distorted over time?
3. What do the Ruin song and the Singer's robe reveal about the history of Kira's world?
4. What does the Gathering ceremony resemble?
5. What does Thomas claim to have heard in Chapter 12 and how do the children react to his claim?
6. Why does Kira cry after returning from Jo's room at the end of Chapter 16?
7. How does Kira react when Jamison refuses to allow her to watch over Annabella's body in the Field of Leaving?
8. Why is Kira's father still alive?
9. How do the villagers and Matt's family react to his absence?
10. Describe Thomas, Kira, and Matt's exploration of the lower floor of the Edifice.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the value of friendship and giving in the novel. Compare and contrast the children's friendships with the relationships evident among other characters in the villages. How do their friendships affect their character development, and even their survival?
Essay Topic 2
What elements of deception and betrayal are evident throughout the novel? Which characters are involved in deception? How does deception affect the character development of Kira, Thomas, Matt, and Jo? Which characters are involved in betrayal? How does betrayal affect the character development of the children?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 4, Vandara presents herself as an antagonist and Jamison emerges as a protagonist. Describe how Jamison's role changes throughout the novel. What events or characters affect that change? What does this change foreshadow for Jamison's future?
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)