|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What area do Kira and Thomas pass as they look for Matt in Chapter 17?
2. After her visit to Jo in Chapter 16, what does Kira do once she is back in her own bed?
3. What revelation does Matt have about the beasts in the woods?
4. Who does Kira speak to through a door keyhole?
5. Who visits Kira in her room after she returns from her exploration of the lower floor of the Edifice?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kira react when Jamison refuses to allow her to watch over Annabella's body in the Field of Leaving?
2. Describe Thomas, Kira, and Matt's exploration of the lower floor of the Edifice.
3. What is suspicious about Annabella's death?
4. How do the villagers and Matt's family react to his absence?
5. What does Kira find suspicious about Jo's situation, and why?
6. What does Matt's journey through the woods reveal?
7. Describe what is known about the character Jo by the end of Chapter 13.
8. Why is Kira's father still alive?
9. Describe the village Matt encountered on his journey to find "blue".
10. What does Thomas claim to have heard in Chapter 12 and how do the children react to his claim?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the forms of communication that have replaced writing in Kira's society. How have these forms of communication altered the education, history, and government of Kira's people? How will their continued use affect the future of Kira's people?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 4, Vandara presents herself as an antagonist and Jamison emerges as a protagonist. Describe how Jamison's role changes throughout the novel. What events or characters affect that change? What does this change foreshadow for Jamison's future?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the cycles evident in the novel. Is the purpose of the Singer's robe to predict cycles, prevent cycles, or break cycles, and why? If the robe, staff, and Ruin Song are unable to break the cycle that destroys societies, what will?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)