|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, what thread does Kira wish she had?
2. Who has Kira not seen during her stay in the Edifice?
3. What does the storm keep Kira from doing in Chapter 12?
4. After her visit to Jo in Chapter 16, what does Kira do once she is back in her own bed?
5. How does the Singer and the crowd end the Ruin song?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kira react when Jamison refuses to allow her to watch over Annabella's body in the Field of Leaving?
2. How are Kira, Thomas, and Jo treated during the Gathering ceremony?
3. Describe Thomas, Kira, and Matt's exploration of the lower floor of the Edifice.
4. What is Jamison's role in the attack on Christopher?
5. Describe what is known about the character Jo by the end of Chapter 13.
6. What is suspicious about Annabella's death?
7. What does Matt's journey through the woods reveal?
8. Describe Kira and Thomas' visit to Jo in Chapter 16.
9. What is Kira to do on the blank section of the Singer's robe, and how does she react to her new task?
10. Who is the blind man and what is his significance in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the significance of the Singer's robe. What does it symbolize for Kira's people? By the end of the novel, what does it symbolize to Kira? How can the robe be used to alter the future of Kira's village?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of the color blue in the novel. Why is Kira searching for blue? Who has access to the plants that create blue dye? What does the color blue symbolize in the novel? How will its discovery affect Kira's character and her people?
Essay Topic 3
What role do the "beasts" play in the novel? What is the purpose of the legend of the beasts and why is the myth perpetuated? Who is the real "beast" and why?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)