|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character arrives late for the singing of the Ruin song?
2. In Chapter 16, what is Jo doing in her room when Thomas and Kira find her?
3. In Chapter 12, what thread does Kira wish she had?
4. What revelation does Matt have about the beasts in the woods?
5. How does the Singer and the crowd end the Ruin song?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the blind man and what is his significance in the story?
2. What does Kira find suspicious about Jo's situation, and why?
3. Describe the Fen.
4. How does Kira react when Jamison refuses to allow her to watch over Annabella's body in the Field of Leaving?
5. What does Thomas claim to have heard in Chapter 12 and how do the children react to his claim?
6. Describe Thomas, Kira, and Matt's exploration of the lower floor of the Edifice.
7. How does Thomas demonstrate his mischievous side and surprise Kira in Chapter 15?
8. How do the villagers and Matt's family react to his absence?
9. What does the Gathering ceremony resemble?
10. What is Kira to do on the blank section of the Singer's robe, and how does she react to her new task?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 4, Vandara presents herself as an antagonist and Jamison emerges as a protagonist. Describe how Jamison's role changes throughout the novel. What events or characters affect that change? What does this change foreshadow for Jamison's future?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the significance of the Singer's robe. What does it symbolize for Kira's people? By the end of the novel, what does it symbolize to Kira? How can the robe be used to alter the future of Kira's village?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the Edifice and the Council of Guardians. What does the Edifice symbolize? What is the likely history behind the Edifice? What is the purpose of the Council of Guardians? How do the Guardians use the Edifice to control the population?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)