|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What title is Kira given during the Ruin song ceremony?
2. What does Thomas recall from his childhood in the Edifice?
3. What does Jamison expect Kira to tell everyone with her needle and thread?
4. Who accompanies Kira to her room after the Ruin song is over?
5. Where do Kira and Thomas go in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kira react when Jamison refuses to allow her to watch over Annabella's body in the Field of Leaving?
2. Describe the village Matt encountered on his journey to find "blue".
3. Why is Kira's father still alive?
4. Describe the Fen.
5. What does Thomas claim to have heard in Chapter 12 and how do the children react to his claim?
6. Describe what is known about the character Jo by the end of Chapter 13.
7. What is Jamison's role in the attack on Christopher?
8. How have the words of the Ruin song been distorted over time?
9. Who is the blind man and what is his significance in the story?
10. What does Kira find suspicious about Jo's situation, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Kira's disability affect her status in society? What strength will she need to develop in order to survive in her village? What talents does Kira have and how can she use them for survival?
Essay Topic 2
What role do the "beasts" play in the novel? What is the purpose of the legend of the beasts and why is the myth perpetuated? Who is the real "beast" and why?
Essay Topic 3
What are the physical, social, emotional, and spiritual affects the deaths of Kira's parents have on her character? How does Kira's need to physically survive outweigh her emotional needs?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)