|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits Kira in her room after she returns from her exploration of the lower floor of the Edifice?
2. Who walks through a storm to visit Kira?
3. What does Jamison expect Kira to tell everyone with her needle and thread?
4. What title is Thomas given during the Ruin song ceremony?
5. What infirmity does the stranger waiting in Kira's room after the singing of the Ruin song have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Ruin song and the Singer's robe reveal about the history of Kira's world?
2. Describe the Fen.
3. How do the villagers and Matt's family react to his absence?
4. Why does Kira cry after returning from Jo's room at the end of Chapter 16?
5. How have the words of the Ruin song been distorted over time?
6. What does Thomas claim to have heard in Chapter 12 and how do the children react to his claim?
7. What does the Gathering ceremony resemble?
8. Describe what is known about the character Jo by the end of Chapter 13.
9. How does Kira react when Jamison refuses to allow her to watch over Annabella's body in the Field of Leaving?
10. What is Jamison's role in the attack on Christopher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What value is placed on human life in Kira's society? How does the attitude prevalent towards the value of life affect education, employment, family life, and the development of society? How might this attitude affect the future survival of Kira's people?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the significance of the Singer's robe. What does it symbolize for Kira's people? By the end of the novel, what does it symbolize to Kira? How can the robe be used to alter the future of Kira's village?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the Edifice and the Council of Guardians. What does the Edifice symbolize? What is the likely history behind the Edifice? What is the purpose of the Council of Guardians? How do the Guardians use the Edifice to control the population?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)