|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about Christopher's village?
2. What title is Kira given during the Ruin song ceremony?
3. What unusual sound does Kira hear at the beginning of the Ruin song ceremony?
4. What political office was Kira's father to be appointed to before his "death"?
5. How does Thomas open the locks in the Edifice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Ruin song and the Singer's robe reveal about the history of Kira's world?
2. What is Jamison's role in the attack on Christopher?
3. Who is the blind man and what is his significance in the story?
4. How have the words of the Ruin song been distorted over time?
5. Describe Kira and Thomas' visit to Jo in Chapter 16.
6. What does Thomas claim to have heard in Chapter 12 and how do the children react to his claim?
7. Why does Kira cry after returning from Jo's room at the end of Chapter 16?
8. What is Kira to do on the blank section of the Singer's robe, and how does she react to her new task?
9. How are Kira, Thomas, and Jo treated during the Gathering ceremony?
10. Describe Thomas, Kira, and Matt's exploration of the lower floor of the Edifice.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Kira's disability affect her status in society? What strength will she need to develop in order to survive in her village? What talents does Kira have and how can she use them for survival?
Essay Topic 2
Which character symbolizes hope in the novel, and why? How is this character used by the guardians? What does Kira plan to do for this character in the future? How is Kira a guardian of hope for her people?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of Kira's special embroidered scrap of cloth and Thomas' special piece of carved wood. When are these items created and what value do they hold for their owners? What emotional or spiritual link do they provide? What might these objects symbolize?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)