|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While learning the plants used to create cloth dyes, what has Kira also been learning?
2. Who walks through a storm to visit Kira?
3. What infirmity does the stranger waiting in Kira's room after the singing of the Ruin song have?
4. Which character once attempted to kill Christopher?
5. Where do Thomas and Kira sit during the singing of the Ruin song?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Kira, Thomas, and Jo treated during the Gathering ceremony?
2. What does Matt's journey through the woods reveal?
3. Why is Kira's father still alive?
4. How does Kira react when Jamison refuses to allow her to watch over Annabella's body in the Field of Leaving?
5. How does Thomas demonstrate his mischievous side and surprise Kira in Chapter 15?
6. Describe Kira and Thomas' visit to Jo in Chapter 16.
7. How does Kira spend her rainy day in Chapter 12?
8. What is Jamison's role in the attack on Christopher?
9. What does Thomas claim to have heard in Chapter 12 and how do the children react to his claim?
10. Why does Kira cry after returning from Jo's room at the end of Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Kira's disability affect her status in society? What strength will she need to develop in order to survive in her village? What talents does Kira have and how can she use them for survival?
Essay Topic 2
What is the general purpose of the destruction of Kira's cott? What other motive or purpose might the villagers have had for destroying Kira's property? What does the destruction of her cott symbolize to Kira? How will it affect her future?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the Edifice and the Council of Guardians. What does the Edifice symbolize? What is the likely history behind the Edifice? What is the purpose of the Council of Guardians? How do the Guardians use the Edifice to control the population?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)