|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Singer and the crowd end the Ruin song?
2. In Chapter 12, what sound has Thomas heard at night?
3. In Chapter 12, what thread does Kira wish she had?
4. What comment does Marlena make about Jo?
5. What do Kira and her friends hear a child doing while on the lower floor of the Edifice in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kira find suspicious about Jo's situation, and why?
2. How does Thomas demonstrate his mischievous side and surprise Kira in Chapter 15?
3. Describe what is known about the character Jo by the end of Chapter 13.
4. Why does Kira cry after returning from Jo's room at the end of Chapter 16?
5. What is Jamison's role in the attack on Christopher?
6. How have the words of the Ruin song been distorted over time?
7. Describe Thomas, Kira, and Matt's exploration of the lower floor of the Edifice.
8. What does Thomas claim to have heard in Chapter 12 and how do the children react to his claim?
9. What do the Ruin song and the Singer's robe reveal about the history of Kira's world?
10. Describe the village Matt encountered on his journey to find "blue".
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the physical, social, emotional, and spiritual affects the deaths of Kira's parents have on her character? How does Kira's need to physically survive outweigh her emotional needs?
Essay Topic 2
Which character symbolizes hope in the novel, and why? How is this character used by the guardians? What does Kira plan to do for this character in the future? How is Kira a guardian of hope for her people?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the cycles evident in the novel. Is the purpose of the Singer's robe to predict cycles, prevent cycles, or break cycles, and why? If the robe, staff, and Ruin Song are unable to break the cycle that destroys societies, what will?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)