|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits Kira in her room after she returns from her exploration of the lower floor of the Edifice?
2. How is Jo supposed to contact Thomas if she needs help?
3. What is unusual about Christopher's village?
4. How does Thomas open the locks in the Edifice?
5. Who does Kira speak to through a door keyhole?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Kira's father still alive?
2. How do the villagers and Matt's family react to his absence?
3. Describe the Fen.
4. Why does Kira cry after returning from Jo's room at the end of Chapter 16?
5. How have the words of the Ruin song been distorted over time?
6. What does Thomas claim to have heard in Chapter 12 and how do the children react to his claim?
7. Describe what is known about the character Jo by the end of Chapter 13.
8. Describe Kira and Thomas' visit to Jo in Chapter 16.
9. What is Kira to do on the blank section of the Singer's robe, and how does she react to her new task?
10. How are Kira, Thomas, and Jo treated during the Gathering ceremony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do the "beasts" play in the novel? What is the purpose of the legend of the beasts and why is the myth perpetuated? Who is the real "beast" and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of Kira's special embroidered scrap of cloth and Thomas' special piece of carved wood. When are these items created and what value do they hold for their owners? What emotional or spiritual link do they provide? What might these objects symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
How does Kira's disability affect her status in society? What strength will she need to develop in order to survive in her village? What talents does Kira have and how can she use them for survival?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)