|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accompanies Kira to her room after the Ruin song is over?
2. What frightens Kira as the Ruin song resumes after lunch?
3. What does Jamison tell Kira in Chapter 14?
4. Where does Christopher ask Kira to go?
5. How is Jo supposed to contact Thomas if she needs help?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kira spend her rainy day in Chapter 12?
2. What does Thomas claim to have heard in Chapter 12 and how do the children react to his claim?
3. How do the villagers and Matt's family react to his absence?
4. What does Matt's journey through the woods reveal?
5. How have the words of the Ruin song been distorted over time?
6. Describe what is known about the character Jo by the end of Chapter 13.
7. Who is the blind man and what is his significance in the story?
8. How does Thomas demonstrate his mischievous side and surprise Kira in Chapter 15?
9. How are Kira, Thomas, and Jo treated during the Gathering ceremony?
10. What is Kira to do on the blank section of the Singer's robe, and how does she react to her new task?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Are the residents of the Edifice prisoners? How can an individual be imprisoned without bars or chains? What is the metallic sound Kira hears during the Gathering ceremony? How does her recognition of the sound affect her attitude towards the Guardians?
Essay Topic 2
How does Kira's disability affect her status in society? What strength will she need to develop in order to survive in her village? What talents does Kira have and how can she use them for survival?
Essay Topic 3
What is the general purpose of the destruction of Kira's cott? What other motive or purpose might the villagers have had for destroying Kira's property? What does the destruction of her cott symbolize to Kira? How will it affect her future?
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)