|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who walks through a storm to visit Kira?
2. What political office was Kira's father to be appointed to before his "death"?
3. What does Thomas recall from his childhood in the Edifice?
4. How did Kira's father end up in the Field of Leaving?
5. What do Thomas and Kira bring with them as they visit Jo in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Thomas, Kira, and Matt's exploration of the lower floor of the Edifice.
2. What does Matt's journey through the woods reveal?
3. How does Kira react when Jamison refuses to allow her to watch over Annabella's body in the Field of Leaving?
4. Describe the village Matt encountered on his journey to find "blue".
5. What is Jamison's role in the attack on Christopher?
6. How does Thomas demonstrate his mischievous side and surprise Kira in Chapter 15?
7. How have the words of the Ruin song been distorted over time?
8. Who is the blind man and what is his significance in the story?
9. What does the Gathering ceremony resemble?
10. What is suspicious about Annabella's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What value is placed on human life in Kira's society? How does the attitude prevalent towards the value of life affect education, employment, family life, and the development of society? How might this attitude affect the future survival of Kira's people?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of the color blue in the novel. Why is Kira searching for blue? Who has access to the plants that create blue dye? What does the color blue symbolize in the novel? How will its discovery affect Kira's character and her people?
Essay Topic 3
How does Kira's disability affect her status in society? What strength will she need to develop in order to survive in her village? What talents does Kira have and how can she use them for survival?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)