|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the atmosphere in the Council Edifice as people gather for the singing of the Ruin song?
2. What claim does Thomas make about his and Kira's parents in Chapter 13?
3. What area do Kira and Thomas pass as they look for Matt in Chapter 17?
4. In Chapter 16, what is Jo doing in her room when Thomas and Kira find her?
5. Where do Thomas and Kira sit during the singing of the Ruin song?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Ruin song and the Singer's robe reveal about the history of Kira's world?
2. What is Jamison's role in the attack on Christopher?
3. Why does Kira cry after returning from Jo's room at the end of Chapter 16?
4. What does Matt's journey through the woods reveal?
5. Describe the Fen.
6. What is Kira to do on the blank section of the Singer's robe, and how does she react to her new task?
7. Describe Thomas, Kira, and Matt's exploration of the lower floor of the Edifice.
8. Describe the village Matt encountered on his journey to find "blue".
9. How are Kira, Thomas, and Jo treated during the Gathering ceremony?
10. How do the villagers and Matt's family react to his absence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the general purpose of the destruction of Kira's cott? What other motive or purpose might the villagers have had for destroying Kira's property? What does the destruction of her cott symbolize to Kira? How will it affect her future?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the contrasts evident among the different levels of society present in the book. How does a character's area of residence affect his or her ability to survive? How does a character's area of residence affect the power or control he or she has over others? How does Kira's change of residence affect her character development? How does Matt's ability to access the Edifice affect his character development?
Essay Topic 3
Are the residents of the Edifice prisoners? How can an individual be imprisoned without bars or chains? What is the metallic sound Kira hears during the Gathering ceremony? How does her recognition of the sound affect her attitude towards the Guardians?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)