|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Kira speak to through a door keyhole?
2. What does Kira finish in Chapter 18?
3. What comment does Marlena make about Jo?
4. Who visits Kira in her room after she returns from her exploration of the lower floor of the Edifice?
5. In the beginning of Chapter 17, how long has Matt been missing?
Essay Topic 1
What role do the "beasts" play in the novel? What is the purpose of the legend of the beasts and why is the myth perpetuated? Who is the real "beast" and why?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 4, Vandara presents herself as an antagonist and Jamison emerges as a protagonist. Describe how Jamison's role changes throughout the novel. What events or characters affect that change? What does this change foreshadow for Jamison's future?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the contrasts evident among the different levels of society present in the book. How does a character's area of residence affect his or her ability to survive? How does a character's area of residence affect the power or control he or she has over others? How does Kira's change of residence affect her character development? How does Matt's ability to access the Edifice affect his character development?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)