|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While learning the plants used to create cloth dyes, what has Kira also been learning?
2. According to Matt's brother, where has Matt gone?
3. What area do Kira and Thomas pass as they look for Matt in Chapter 17?
4. What does Kira give Jo as she tucks her into bed in Chapter 16?
5. Who walks through a storm to visit Kira?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the significance of the Ruin Song. What does it symbolize for Kira's people? How has it been altered though the years? What effect does this alteration have on Kira's people? After the Gathering, what does the Ruin Song symbolize to Kira?
Essay Topic 2
How is literacy linked to power in the novel? What are the Guardians attempting to control by keeping more than half the population illiterate? How will Kira's ability to read affect her character? How might it affect all women in her society?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the forms of communication that have replaced writing in Kira's society. How have these forms of communication altered the education, history, and government of Kira's people? How will their continued use affect the future of Kira's people?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)