|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kira finish in Chapter 18?
2. How did Kira's father manage to escape the Field of Leaving?
3. How does Matt's mother react to her son's absence?
4. What is Matt's "big" gift for Kira in Chapter 21?
5. In the beginning of Chapter 17, how long has Matt been missing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kira to do on the blank section of the Singer's robe, and how does she react to her new task?
2. Describe the village Matt encountered on his journey to find "blue".
3. What do the Ruin song and the Singer's robe reveal about the history of Kira's world?
4. Describe the Fen.
5. Describe Thomas, Kira, and Matt's exploration of the lower floor of the Edifice.
6. Describe Kira and Thomas' visit to Jo in Chapter 16.
7. Who is the blind man and what is his significance in the story?
8. How do the villagers and Matt's family react to his absence?
9. What does the Gathering ceremony resemble?
10. What does Kira find suspicious about Jo's situation, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Kira's disability affect her status in society? What strength will she need to develop in order to survive in her village? What talents does Kira have and how can she use them for survival?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the contrasts evident among the different levels of society present in the book. How does a character's area of residence affect his or her ability to survive? How does a character's area of residence affect the power or control he or she has over others? How does Kira's change of residence affect her character development? How does Matt's ability to access the Edifice affect his character development?
Essay Topic 3
How is literacy linked to power in the novel? What are the Guardians attempting to control by keeping more than half the population illiterate? How will Kira's ability to read affect her character? How might it affect all women in her society?
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)