|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, when does the messenger arrive for Kira?
2. Which council member knew Kira's father?
3. What crime has Vandara been accused of in the past?
4. Which character is waiting with Matt for Kira at the Edifice?
5. What do the weavers offer Kira at the end of Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What wisdom is apparent in the Council's decision in Chapter 5?
2. Why does Jamison bring out the Singer's robe and question Kira about her embroidery skills?
3. Describe the confrontation between Vandara and Kira in Chapter 2.
4. How is Matt's relationship with Branch similar to his friendship with Kira?
5. What are Kira's plans now that both her parents are dead?
6. Since Kira, as a woman, is forbidden to learn to read or write, how does she study Annabella's lessons?
7. What is the role of the tenders?
8. What is the significance of the bar of soap in Chapter 10?
9. What warning does Matt give Kira in Chapter 1?
10. What realization do Kira and Thomas come to about the beasts in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Are the residents of the Edifice prisoners? How can an individual be imprisoned without bars or chains? What is the metallic sound Kira hears during the Gathering ceremony? How does her recognition of the sound affect her attitude towards the Guardians?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 4, Vandara presents herself as an antagonist and Jamison emerges as a protagonist. Describe how Jamison's role changes throughout the novel. What events or characters affect that change? What does this change foreshadow for Jamison's future?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of Kira's special embroidered scrap of cloth and Thomas' special piece of carved wood. When are these items created and what value do they hold for their owners? What emotional or spiritual link do they provide? What might these objects symbolize?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)