|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Matt have inside the bundle he has for Kira in Chapter 6?
2. Why does Kira only eat half of her meal provided during the trial in Chapter 4?
3. What is the woman in the garden doing in Chapter 2?
4. What does Matt do in Chapter 9 that worries Kira?
5. According to village custom, what happens to a person's property once he or she dies from illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Kira's scrap of cloth. Why does she keep it near her?
2. How is Matt's relationship with Branch similar to his friendship with Kira?
3. What accusations does Vandara bring against Kira before the Council of Guardians?
4. What warning does Matt give Kira in Chapter 1?
5. Describe the customs surrounding death in Kira's society.
6. What is the significance of the bar of soap in Chapter 10?
7. What realization do Kira and Thomas come to about the beasts in Chapter 11?
8. What are Kira's plans now that both her parents are dead?
9. Why do the women in the weaver's shed offer Kira a position at the loom?
10. How does Kira prepare for her trial in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the forms of communication that have replaced writing in Kira's society. How have these forms of communication altered the education, history, and government of Kira's people? How will their continued use affect the future of Kira's people?
Essay Topic 2
Are the residents of the Edifice prisoners? How can an individual be imprisoned without bars or chains? What is the metallic sound Kira hears during the Gathering ceremony? How does her recognition of the sound affect her attitude towards the Guardians?
Essay Topic 3
Which character symbolizes hope in the novel, and why? How is this character used by the guardians? What does Kira plan to do for this character in the future? How is Kira a guardian of hope for her people?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)