|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift do Kira and Thomas give Matt in Chapter 10?
2. How does Kira calm her nerves during the trial?
3. What color dye does Annabella not have?
4. How long does Kira have to complete her task for the Council of Guardians?
5. What do some of the villagers want to store on Kira's property?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Kira, Thomas, and Jo treated during the Gathering ceremony?
2. Describe Vandara's appearance and demeanor during the trial in Chapter 3.
3. What wisdom is apparent in the Council's decision in Chapter 5?
4. What is the significance of names in Kira's society?
5. How does Kira react in Chapter 2to the destruction of her home?
6. What are Kira's options for defense during the trial?
7. Since Kira, as a woman, is forbidden to learn to read or write, how does she study Annabella's lessons?
8. Describe Kira's scrap of cloth. Why does she keep it near her?
9. Describe what is known about the character Jo by the end of Chapter 13.
10. What does Thomas claim to have heard in Chapter 12 and how do the children react to his claim?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the value of friendship and giving in the novel. Compare and contrast the children's friendships with the relationships evident among other characters in the villages. How do their friendships affect their character development, and even their survival?
Essay Topic 2
Are the residents of the Edifice prisoners? How can an individual be imprisoned without bars or chains? What is the metallic sound Kira hears during the Gathering ceremony? How does her recognition of the sound affect her attitude towards the Guardians?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of Kira's special embroidered scrap of cloth and Thomas' special piece of carved wood. When are these items created and what value do they hold for their owners? What emotional or spiritual link do they provide? What might these objects symbolize?
This section contains 1,631 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)