|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kira decide to go on her first morning in the Edifice?
2. What does Matt attempt to take from Kira in Chapter 10?
3. Where will the injured weaver's children probably be sent?
4. How many men are on the Council of Guardians?
5. According to village custom, what happens to a person's property once he or she dies from illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kira prepare for her trial in Chapter 3?
2. Describe Kira's living quarters in the Edifice.
3. Describe Kira's scrap of cloth. Why does she keep it near her?
4. Describe what readers know about Kira after reading Chapter 1.
5. Since Kira, as a woman, is forbidden to learn to read or write, how does she study Annabella's lessons?
6. Why does Jamison bring out the Singer's robe and question Kira about her embroidery skills?
7. Describe Vandara's appearance and demeanor during the trial in Chapter 3.
8. What are Kira's plans now that both her parents are dead?
9. Describe what is known about the character Thomas by the end of Chapter 7.
10. What accusations does Vandara bring against Kira before the Council of Guardians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of Kira's special embroidered scrap of cloth and Thomas' special piece of carved wood. When are these items created and what value do they hold for their owners? What emotional or spiritual link do they provide? What might these objects symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
What value is placed on human life in Kira's society? How does the attitude prevalent towards the value of life affect education, employment, family life, and the development of society? How might this attitude affect the future survival of Kira's people?
Essay Topic 3
What elements of deception and betrayal are evident throughout the novel? Which characters are involved in deception? How does deception affect the character development of Kira, Thomas, Matt, and Jo? Which characters are involved in betrayal? How does betrayal affect the character development of the children?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)