|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What warning does Jamison give Kira about traveling in the woods?
2. How does Kira calm her nerves during the trial?
3. Whom does Kira choose to serve as her defender?
4. What is brought to Kira's room on her first morning in the Edifice?
5. What claim does Annabella make in Chapter 11 that shocks Kira?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what is known about the character Annabella by the end of Chapter 8.
2. Describe the customs surrounding death in Kira's society.
3. What type of living conditions is Kira used to before she moves to the Edifice?
4. What realization do Kira and Thomas come to about the beasts in Chapter 11?
5. What is the significance of the bar of soap in Chapter 10?
6. Describe what is known about the character Thomas by the end of Chapter 7.
7. What accusations does Vandara bring against Kira before the Council of Guardians?
8. Describe Kira's scrap of cloth. Why does she keep it near her?
9. What does Matt manage to save from Kira's cott before it is burned?
10. What are Kira's plans now that both her parents are dead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of women in the novel. Compare and contrast the roles of men and women in Kira's society. What limits are placed on women? How does being a woman affect Kira's character development?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the significance of the Singer's robe. What does it symbolize for Kira's people? By the end of the novel, what does it symbolize to Kira? How can the robe be used to alter the future of Kira's village?
Essay Topic 3
Which character symbolizes hope in the novel, and why? How is this character used by the guardians? What does Kira plan to do for this character in the future? How is Kira a guardian of hope for her people?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)