|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Matt take some of Kira's belongings in Chapter 5?
2. What does Annabella give Kira as a parting gift?
3. What is Kira's job in the Edifice?
4. Who accompanies Kira to Annabella's house in Chapter 8?
5. In Chapter 4, what service does Jamison provide Kira?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Kira's living quarters in the Edifice.
2. Describe Vandara.
3. How does Kira prepare for her trial in Chapter 3?
4. Describe what is known about the character Thomas by the end of Chapter 7.
5. What is the significance of the bar of soap in Chapter 10?
6. What are Kira's options for defense during the trial?
7. How does Matt attempt to help Kira during the trial?
8. How is Kira's embroidered scrap of cloth and Thomas' carved piece of wood similar?
9. What is the role of the tenders?
10. Describe what is known about the character Annabella by the end of Chapter 8.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the physical, social, emotional, and spiritual affects the deaths of Kira's parents have on her character? How does Kira's need to physically survive outweigh her emotional needs?
Essay Topic 2
What elements of deception and betrayal are evident throughout the novel? Which characters are involved in deception? How does deception affect the character development of Kira, Thomas, Matt, and Jo? Which characters are involved in betrayal? How does betrayal affect the character development of the children?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the significance of the Ruin Song. What does it symbolize for Kira's people? How has it been altered though the years? What effect does this alteration have on Kira's people? After the Gathering, what does the Ruin Song symbolize to Kira?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)