|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What piece of jewelry of does Kira find in Matt's bundle?
2. What object is Kira commanded by the Council of Guardians to mend?
3. What is the Ruin Song?
4. What does Kira do when Vandara and the village women leave?
5. What is Kira's job in the Edifice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the customs surrounding death in Kira's society.
2. Describe what readers know about Kira after reading Chapter 1.
3. What realization do Kira and Thomas come to about the beasts in Chapter 11?
4. Why does Jamison bring out the Singer's robe and question Kira about her embroidery skills?
5. What defense does Jamison give in Kira's trial?
6. Describe Kira's living quarters in the Edifice.
7. What warning does Matt give Kira in Chapter 1?
8. What is the significance of names in Kira's society?
9. How does Kira react in Chapter 2to the destruction of her home?
10. Describe what is known about the character Annabella by the end of Chapter 8.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the significance of the Singer's robe. What does it symbolize for Kira's people? By the end of the novel, what does it symbolize to Kira? How can the robe be used to alter the future of Kira's village?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 4, Vandara presents herself as an antagonist and Jamison emerges as a protagonist. Describe how Jamison's role changes throughout the novel. What events or characters affect that change? What does this change foreshadow for Jamison's future?
Essay Topic 3
Which character symbolizes hope in the novel, and why? How is this character used by the guardians? What does Kira plan to do for this character in the future? How is Kira a guardian of hope for her people?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)