|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Ruin Song?
2. Who cuts Vandara off midway through her accusation?
3. What has Matt never been given?
4. How many men are on the Council of Guardians?
5. In Chapter 3, when does the messenger arrive for Kira?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kira cry after returning from Jo's room at the end of Chapter 16?
2. What does Matt manage to save from Kira's cott before it is burned?
3. Describe Kira's home after she returns from the Field of Leaving.
4. What defense does Jamison give in Kira's trial?
5. How is Matt's relationship with Branch similar to his friendship with Kira?
6. How does Kira react to the indoor plumbing in her room?
7. Describe Kira's scrap of cloth. Why does she keep it near her?
8. Describe Vandara.
9. What wisdom is apparent in the Council's decision in Chapter 5?
10. How does Kira resolve to use her talents in the future?
Essay Topic 1
What value is placed on human life in Kira's society? How does the attitude prevalent towards the value of life affect education, employment, family life, and the development of society? How might this attitude affect the future survival of Kira's people?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the forms of communication that have replaced writing in Kira's society. How have these forms of communication altered the education, history, and government of Kira's people? How will their continued use affect the future of Kira's people?
Essay Topic 3
How is literacy linked to power in the novel? What are the Guardians attempting to control by keeping more than half the population illiterate? How will Kira's ability to read affect her character? How might it affect all women in her society?
This section contains 1,586 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)