|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which council member saw Kira's father die?
2. Who does Kira confide in about her experience on the way to Annabella's house?
3. What does Kira intend to do with the stains on her mother's skirt?
4. What does Kira sleep with the night after she is frightened along the path to Annabella's house?
5. Why do Vandara and the other women think Kira is useless?
Short Essay Questions
1. What accusations does Vandara bring against Kira before the Council of Guardians?
2. What wisdom is apparent in the Council's decision in Chapter 5?
3. How does Kira find the color she needs for her threads?
4. Describe what is known about the character Thomas by the end of Chapter 7.
5. Describe what is known about the character Annabella by the end of Chapter 8.
6. Describe what readers know about Kira after reading Chapter 1.
7. Describe Vandara's appearance and demeanor during the trial in Chapter 3.
8. Describe Kira's scrap of cloth. Why does she keep it near her?
9. How is Kira's embroidered scrap of cloth and Thomas' carved piece of wood similar?
10. How does Kira react to the indoor plumbing in her room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the general purpose of the destruction of Kira's cott? What other motive or purpose might the villagers have had for destroying Kira's property? What does the destruction of her cott symbolize to Kira? How will it affect her future?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the contrasts evident among the different levels of society present in the book. How does a character's area of residence affect his or her ability to survive? How does a character's area of residence affect the power or control he or she has over others? How does Kira's change of residence affect her character development? How does Matt's ability to access the Edifice affect his character development?
Essay Topic 3
What are the physical, social, emotional, and spiritual affects the deaths of Kira's parents have on her character? How does Kira's need to physically survive outweigh her emotional needs?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)