|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What warning does Jamison give Kira about traveling in the woods?
2. Where is Kira's father in Chapter 1?
3. Which council member knew Kira's father?
4. Why does Kira only eat half of her meal provided during the trial in Chapter 4?
5. What piece of jewelry of does Kira find in Matt's bundle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comforts Kira on her first night away from home?
2. Describe what is known about the character Thomas by the end of Chapter 7.
3. Describe what is known about the character Annabella by the end of Chapter 8.
4. How does Matt attempt to help Kira during the trial?
5. What is the role of the tenders?
6. Describe Vandara.
7. Why does Jamison bring out the Singer's robe and question Kira about her embroidery skills?
8. What wisdom is apparent in the Council's decision in Chapter 5?
9. Describe Vandara's appearance and demeanor during the trial in Chapter 3.
10. How does Kira react in Chapter 2to the destruction of her home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of Kira's special embroidered scrap of cloth and Thomas' special piece of carved wood. When are these items created and what value do they hold for their owners? What emotional or spiritual link do they provide? What might these objects symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the significance of the Singer's robe. What does it symbolize for Kira's people? By the end of the novel, what does it symbolize to Kira? How can the robe be used to alter the future of Kira's village?
Essay Topic 3
What are the physical, social, emotional, and spiritual affects the deaths of Kira's parents have on her character? How does Kira's need to physically survive outweigh her emotional needs?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)