Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what service does Jamison provide Kira?
2. What does Annabella give Kira to help her calm down in Chapter 11?
3. What crime has Vandara been accused of in the past?
4. What does Jamison do while Vandara is presenting her accusation?
5. What does Annabella give Kira as a parting gift?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kira prepare for her trial in Chapter 3?
2. How does Matt attempt to help Kira during the trial?
3. How have the words of the Ruin song been distorted over time?
4. Describe what is known about the character Annabella by the end of Chapter 8.
5. What is the role of the tenders?
6. How is Matt's relationship with Branch similar to his friendship with Kira?
7. What accusations does Vandara bring against Kira before the Council of Guardians?
8. Describe the village Matt encountered on his journey to find "blue".
9. Describe Kira's home after she returns from the Field of Leaving.
10. What defense does Jamison give in Kira's trial?
Essay Topic 1
What elements of deception and betrayal are evident throughout the novel? Which characters are involved in deception? How does deception affect the character development of Kira, Thomas, Matt, and Jo? Which characters are involved in betrayal? How does betrayal affect the character development of the children?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of Kira's special embroidered scrap of cloth and Thomas' special piece of carved wood. When are these items created and what value do they hold for their owners? What emotional or spiritual link do they provide? What might these objects symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of the color blue in the novel. Why is Kira searching for blue? Who has access to the plants that create blue dye? What does the color blue symbolize in the novel? How will its discovery affect Kira's character and her people?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)