|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kira find destroyed in Chapter 2 when she returns home?
2. What gift do Kira and Thomas give Matt in Chapter 10?
3. What color dye does Annabella not have?
4. What does Kira eat the evening she returns from the Field of Leaving?
5. How is Vandara dressed as she presents herself before the Council of Guardians?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kira react in Chapter 2to the destruction of her home?
2. Describe what is known about the character Jamison by the end of Chapter 4.
3. What is the significance of the bar of soap in Chapter 10?
4. Describe what is known about the character Annabella by the end of Chapter 8.
5. What warning does Matt give Kira in Chapter 1?
6. What is the significance of names in Kira's society?
7. How does Kira react to the indoor plumbing in her room?
8. How does Matt attempt to help Kira during the trial?
9. What wisdom is apparent in the Council's decision in Chapter 5?
10. Why do the women in the weaver's shed offer Kira a position at the loom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the general purpose of the destruction of Kira's cott? What other motive or purpose might the villagers have had for destroying Kira's property? What does the destruction of her cott symbolize to Kira? How will it affect her future?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the cycles evident in the novel. Is the purpose of the Singer's robe to predict cycles, prevent cycles, or break cycles, and why? If the robe, staff, and Ruin Song are unable to break the cycle that destroys societies, what will?
Essay Topic 3
What are the physical, social, emotional, and spiritual affects the deaths of Kira's parents have on her character? How does Kira's need to physically survive outweigh her emotional needs?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)