|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annabella teach?
2. What piece of jewelry of does Kira find in Matt's bundle?
3. What comforts Kira's aching fingers one evening in Chapter 9?
4. What does Kira eat the evening she returns from the Field of Leaving?
5. What claim does Annabella make in Chapter 11 that shocks Kira?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kira react in Chapter 2to the destruction of her home?
2. What accusations does Vandara bring against Kira before the Council of Guardians?
3. What does Matt manage to save from Kira's cott before it is burned?
4. How is Matt's relationship with Branch similar to his friendship with Kira?
5. What is the role of the tenders?
6. Describe Kira's home after she returns from the Field of Leaving.
7. Describe Vandara.
8. Describe the customs surrounding death in Kira's society.
9. What defense does Jamison give in Kira's trial?
10. Describe Kira's living quarters in the Edifice.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the Edifice and the Council of Guardians. What does the Edifice symbolize? What is the likely history behind the Edifice? What is the purpose of the Council of Guardians? How do the Guardians use the Edifice to control the population?
Essay Topic 2
What elements of deception and betrayal are evident throughout the novel? Which characters are involved in deception? How does deception affect the character development of Kira, Thomas, Matt, and Jo? Which characters are involved in betrayal? How does betrayal affect the character development of the children?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of the color blue in the novel. Why is Kira searching for blue? Who has access to the plants that create blue dye? What does the color blue symbolize in the novel? How will its discovery affect Kira's character and her people?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)