|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which council member saw Kira's father die?
2. What is brought to Kira's room on her first morning in the Edifice?
3. What does Annabella teach?
4. What does Matt cover his body with in Chapter 10?
5. What comforts Kira as she falls asleep in her new bed in the Edifice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Kira's home after she returns from the Field of Leaving.
2. How does Kira prepare for her trial in Chapter 3?
3. What does Matt manage to save from Kira's cott before it is burned?
4. What is the significance of names in Kira's society?
5. What are Kira's plans now that both her parents are dead?
6. What accusations does Vandara bring against Kira before the Council of Guardians?
7. What is the significance of the bar of soap in Chapter 10?
8. What comforts Kira on her first night away from home?
9. How does Kira react in Chapter 2to the destruction of her home?
10. Since Kira, as a woman, is forbidden to learn to read or write, how does she study Annabella's lessons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the Edifice and the Council of Guardians. What does the Edifice symbolize? What is the likely history behind the Edifice? What is the purpose of the Council of Guardians? How do the Guardians use the Edifice to control the population?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the forms of communication that have replaced writing in Kira's society. How have these forms of communication altered the education, history, and government of Kira's people? How will their continued use affect the future of Kira's people?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the significance of the Singer's robe. What does it symbolize for Kira's people? By the end of the novel, what does it symbolize to Kira? How can the robe be used to alter the future of Kira's village?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)