|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the villagers regard Kira with contempt?
2. What warning does Jamison give Kira about traveling in the woods?
3. What do some of the villagers want to store on Kira's property?
4. What does Kira realize she has never seen either dead or alive after she returns to the Edifice in Chapter 11?
5. What does Vandara tell Kira in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Kira's home after she returns from the Field of Leaving.
2. Describe Kira's scrap of cloth. Why does she keep it near her?
3. Describe the confrontation between Vandara and Kira in Chapter 2.
4. How does Kira prepare for her trial in Chapter 3?
5. What are Kira's options for defense during the trial?
6. What accusations does Vandara bring against Kira before the Council of Guardians?
7. Describe what is known about the character Jamison by the end of Chapter 4.
8. What realization do Kira and Thomas come to about the beasts in Chapter 11?
9. Describe what is known about the character Thomas by the end of Chapter 7.
10. What is the significance of the bar of soap in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What elements of deception and betrayal are evident throughout the novel? Which characters are involved in deception? How does deception affect the character development of Kira, Thomas, Matt, and Jo? Which characters are involved in betrayal? How does betrayal affect the character development of the children?
Essay Topic 2
How is literacy linked to power in the novel? What are the Guardians attempting to control by keeping more than half the population illiterate? How will Kira's ability to read affect her character? How might it affect all women in her society?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the cycles evident in the novel. Is the purpose of the Singer's robe to predict cycles, prevent cycles, or break cycles, and why? If the robe, staff, and Ruin Song are unable to break the cycle that destroys societies, what will?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)