|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 11, what frightens Kira as she walks to Annabella's house?
2. What color are the threads in Kira's worktable drawer?
3. Why doesn't Kira look at the list of names Thomas writes down?
4. Who cuts Vandara off midway through her accusation?
5. What shocks Kira about her new accommodations in the Edifice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Kira's living quarters in the Edifice.
2. What defense does Jamison give in Kira's trial?
3. What is the significance of names in Kira's society?
4. Since Kira, as a woman, is forbidden to learn to read or write, how does she study Annabella's lessons?
5. What type of living conditions is Kira used to before she moves to the Edifice?
6. Describe what is known about the character Jamison by the end of Chapter 4.
7. What are Kira's plans now that both her parents are dead?
8. Why does Jamison bring out the Singer's robe and question Kira about her embroidery skills?
9. What accusations does Vandara bring against Kira before the Council of Guardians?
10. What wisdom is apparent in the Council's decision in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the significance of the Singer's robe. What does it symbolize for Kira's people? By the end of the novel, what does it symbolize to Kira? How can the robe be used to alter the future of Kira's village?
Essay Topic 2
Are the residents of the Edifice prisoners? How can an individual be imprisoned without bars or chains? What is the metallic sound Kira hears during the Gathering ceremony? How does her recognition of the sound affect her attitude towards the Guardians?
Essay Topic 3
What is the general purpose of the destruction of Kira's cott? What other motive or purpose might the villagers have had for destroying Kira's property? What does the destruction of her cott symbolize to Kira? How will it affect her future?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)