|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Vandara dressed as she presents herself before the Council of Guardians?
2. What comforts Kira's aching fingers one evening in Chapter 9?
3. What does Matt fear Kira might be while living in the Edifice?
4. Who does Kira confide in about her experience on the way to Annabella's house?
5. What does the headquarters of the Council of Guardians resemble?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kira find suspicious about Jo's situation, and why?
2. What realization do Kira and Thomas come to about the beasts in Chapter 11?
3. How does Kira find the color she needs for her threads?
4. What defense does Jamison give in Kira's trial?
5. Describe what is known about the character Jamison by the end of Chapter 4.
6. Describe the customs surrounding death in Kira's society.
7. Since Kira, as a woman, is forbidden to learn to read or write, how does she study Annabella's lessons?
8. How does Kira react to Matt's decision to join the hunt?
9. Describe Thomas, Kira, and Matt's exploration of the lower floor of the Edifice.
10. Who is the blind man and what is his significance in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the value of friendship and giving in the novel. Compare and contrast the children's friendships with the relationships evident among other characters in the villages. How do their friendships affect their character development, and even their survival?
Essay Topic 2
What are the physical, social, emotional, and spiritual affects the deaths of Kira's parents have on her character? How does Kira's need to physically survive outweigh her emotional needs?
Essay Topic 3
Which character symbolizes hope in the novel, and why? How is this character used by the guardians? What does Kira plan to do for this character in the future? How is Kira a guardian of hope for her people?
This section contains 1,735 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)