|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Matt's father?
2. What is Thomas' job in the Edifice?
3. Who does Kira confide in about her experience on the way to Annabella's house?
4. How do the members of the council respond to Kira's ritual actions in Chapter 3?
5. Who gave the pendant to Kira's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kira prepare for her trial in Chapter 3?
2. Describe what is known about the character Annabella by the end of Chapter 8.
3. Describe Vandara's appearance and demeanor during the trial in Chapter 3.
4. What accusations does Vandara bring against Kira before the Council of Guardians?
5. Describe what is known about the character Thomas by the end of Chapter 7.
6. What realization do Kira and Thomas come to about the beasts in Chapter 11?
7. Describe Kira's home after she returns from the Field of Leaving.
8. Describe Kira's experience with the beasts in Chapter 11.
9. How does Kira react in Chapter 2to the destruction of her home?
10. What wisdom is apparent in the Council's decision in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of the color blue in the novel. Why is Kira searching for blue? Who has access to the plants that create blue dye? What does the color blue symbolize in the novel? How will its discovery affect Kira's character and her people?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the significance of the Ruin Song. What does it symbolize for Kira's people? How has it been altered though the years? What effect does this alteration have on Kira's people? After the Gathering, what does the Ruin Song symbolize to Kira?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the cycles evident in the novel. Is the purpose of the Singer's robe to predict cycles, prevent cycles, or break cycles, and why? If the robe, staff, and Ruin Song are unable to break the cycle that destroys societies, what will?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)