|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift do Kira and Thomas give Matt in Chapter 10?
2. Why doesn't Kira look at the list of names Thomas writes down?
3. What comforts Kira as she falls asleep in her new bed in the Edifice?
4. What does Matt question Kira about in Chapter 1?
5. What does Matt attempt to take from Kira in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Since Kira, as a woman, is forbidden to learn to read or write, how does she study Annabella's lessons?
2. How is Kira's embroidered scrap of cloth and Thomas' carved piece of wood similar?
3. How does Matt attempt to help Kira during the trial?
4. What are Kira's options for defense during the trial?
5. Describe Vandara.
6. What type of living conditions is Kira used to before she moves to the Edifice?
7. How does Kira react to Matt's decision to join the hunt?
8. Why does Jamison bring out the Singer's robe and question Kira about her embroidery skills?
9. How does Kira prepare for her trial in Chapter 3?
10. Describe what is known about the character Thomas by the end of Chapter 7.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do the "beasts" play in the novel? What is the purpose of the legend of the beasts and why is the myth perpetuated? Who is the real "beast" and why?
Essay Topic 2
What are the physical, social, emotional, and spiritual affects the deaths of Kira's parents have on her character? How does Kira's need to physically survive outweigh her emotional needs?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of Kira's special embroidered scrap of cloth and Thomas' special piece of carved wood. When are these items created and what value do they hold for their owners? What emotional or spiritual link do they provide? What might these objects symbolize?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)