|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kira have in her new room that was not in her cott?
2. Where does Kira travel at mid-morning in Chapter 3?
3. What does Jamison question Kira about in Chapter 5?
4. What color dye does Annabella not have?
5. What are Matt and his friends doing while Kira is on trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Vandara.
2. Describe the customs surrounding death in Kira's society.
3. Why does Jamison bring out the Singer's robe and question Kira about her embroidery skills?
4. Describe Vandara's appearance and demeanor during the trial in Chapter 3.
5. Describe Kira's scrap of cloth. Why does she keep it near her?
6. How does Kira prepare for her trial in Chapter 3?
7. How is Matt's relationship with Branch similar to his friendship with Kira?
8. What wisdom is apparent in the Council's decision in Chapter 5?
9. How does Matt attempt to help Kira during the trial?
10. Why do the women in the weaver's shed offer Kira a position at the loom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the significance of the Singer's robe. What does it symbolize for Kira's people? By the end of the novel, what does it symbolize to Kira? How can the robe be used to alter the future of Kira's village?
Essay Topic 2
How does Kira's disability affect her status in society? What strength will she need to develop in order to survive in her village? What talents does Kira have and how can she use them for survival?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the forms of communication that have replaced writing in Kira's society. How have these forms of communication altered the education, history, and government of Kira's people? How will their continued use affect the future of Kira's people?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)