|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shocks Kira about her new accommodations in the Edifice?
2. What has Matt never been given?
3. Why does Kira decide to visit Annabella?
4. What gift does Thomas give Kira?
5. What object comforts Thomas?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kira react to Matt's decision to join the hunt?
2. What type of living conditions is Kira used to before she moves to the Edifice?
3. Describe what readers know about Kira after reading Chapter 1.
4. How does Kira prepare for her trial in Chapter 3?
5. Describe Kira's experience with the beasts in Chapter 11.
6. How does Kira find the color she needs for her threads?
7. What are Kira's options for defense during the trial?
8. Describe what is known about the character Thomas by the end of Chapter 7.
9. What comforts Kira on her first night away from home?
10. How does Kira react to the indoor plumbing in her room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the cycles evident in the novel. Is the purpose of the Singer's robe to predict cycles, prevent cycles, or break cycles, and why? If the robe, staff, and Ruin Song are unable to break the cycle that destroys societies, what will?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 4, Vandara presents herself as an antagonist and Jamison emerges as a protagonist. Describe how Jamison's role changes throughout the novel. What events or characters affect that change? What does this change foreshadow for Jamison's future?
Essay Topic 3
What value is placed on human life in Kira's society? How does the attitude prevalent towards the value of life affect education, employment, family life, and the development of society? How might this attitude affect the future survival of Kira's people?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)