|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annabella give Kira as a parting gift?
2. Who accompanies Kira to Annabella's house in Chapter 8?
3. What warning does Matt give Kira in Chapter 1?
4. What did Kira show her mother just before she died?
5. What does Kira plan to do in Chapter 1 once she returns to the home she shared with her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what is known about the character Thomas by the end of Chapter 7.
2. Describe what is known about the character Annabella by the end of Chapter 8.
3. How does Kira react to Matt's decision to join the hunt?
4. What are Kira's options for defense during the trial?
5. What is the significance of the bar of soap in Chapter 10?
6. What are Kira's plans now that both her parents are dead?
7. How is Matt's relationship with Branch similar to his friendship with Kira?
8. What accusations does Vandara bring against Kira before the Council of Guardians?
9. How does Kira prepare for her trial in Chapter 3?
10. What does Matt manage to save from Kira's cott before it is burned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of the color blue in the novel. Why is Kira searching for blue? Who has access to the plants that create blue dye? What does the color blue symbolize in the novel? How will its discovery affect Kira's character and her people?
Essay Topic 2
What is the general purpose of the destruction of Kira's cott? What other motive or purpose might the villagers have had for destroying Kira's property? What does the destruction of her cott symbolize to Kira? How will it affect her future?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the forms of communication that have replaced writing in Kira's society. How have these forms of communication altered the education, history, and government of Kira's people? How will their continued use affect the future of Kira's people?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)