|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what does Kira recite as she works?
2. What does Matt attempt to take from Kira in Chapter 10?
3. What does Kira realize she has never seen either dead or alive after she returns to the Edifice in Chapter 11?
4. What gift do Kira and Thomas give Matt in Chapter 10?
5. What does Jamison question Kira about in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes the metallic scraping sound during the Ruin song, and what does it signify to Kira?
2. How do the villagers and Matt's family react to his absence?
3. What does the Gathering ceremony resemble?
4. How does Kira spend her rainy day in Chapter 12?
5. Why does Jamison bring out the Singer's robe and question Kira about her embroidery skills?
6. What is Jamison's role in the attack on Christopher?
7. What accusations does Vandara bring against Kira before the Council of Guardians?
8. Describe what is known about the character Jamison by the end of Chapter 4.
9. What is the role of the tenders?
10. What comforts Kira on her first night away from home?
Essay Topic 1
Which character symbolizes hope in the novel, and why? How is this character used by the guardians? What does Kira plan to do for this character in the future? How is Kira a guardian of hope for her people?
Essay Topic 2
How is literacy linked to power in the novel? What are the Guardians attempting to control by keeping more than half the population illiterate? How will Kira's ability to read affect her character? How might it affect all women in her society?
Essay Topic 3
What elements of deception and betrayal are evident throughout the novel? Which characters are involved in deception? How does deception affect the character development of Kira, Thomas, Matt, and Jo? Which characters are involved in betrayal? How does betrayal affect the character development of the children?
This section contains 1,802 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)