|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Kira speak to through a door keyhole?
2. Who does Matt see in the Field of Leaving in Chapter 14?
3. What is the atmosphere in the Council Edifice as people gather for the singing of the Ruin song?
(a) Joyous and noisy.
(b) Raucous and rowdy.
(c) Solemn and respectful.
(d) Filled with wailing and sadness.
4. What does Thomas finish in Chapter 18?
(a) Exploring the Edifice.
(b) Kira's new cott.
(c) The repairs to the Singer's book.
(d) The repairs to the Singer's staff.
5. According to Matt, where is Jo from?
(a) The next village.
(b) The mountains.
(c) The Fen.
(d) From "far yonder."
Short Answer Questions
1. Why isn't Kira allowed to watch over Annabella's body in the Field of Leaving?
2. What infirmity does the stranger waiting in Kira's room after the singing of the Ruin song have?
3. What frightens Kira as the Ruin song resumes after lunch?
4. After her visit to Jo in Chapter 16, what does Kira do once she is back in her own bed?
5. What title is Thomas given during the Ruin song ceremony?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is suspicious about Annabella's death?
2. What is Jamison's role in the attack on Christopher?
3. Why does Kira cry after returning from Jo's room at the end of Chapter 16?
4. How do the villagers and Matt's family react to his absence?
5. What is Kira to do on the blank section of the Singer's robe, and how does she react to her new task?
6. Who is the blind man and what is his significance in the story?
7. What do the Ruin song and the Singer's robe reveal about the history of Kira's world?
8. Describe what is known about the character Jo by the end of Chapter 13.
9. What does the Gathering ceremony resemble?
10. Describe the Fen.
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)