|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Kira's father manage to escape the Field of Leaving?
(a) Strangers came and took him away to a different village.
(b) Annabella came and took him to her cott.
(c) He struggled to stand and walked to Annabella's cott.
(d) Jamison set him on a horse headed through the woods.
2. What unusual sound does Kira hear at the beginning of the Ruin song ceremony?
(a) A metallic scraping.
(b) An echoing ring.
(c) An electronic beeping.
(d) A soft buzzing.
3. What does Thomas recall from his childhood in the Edifice?
(a) He never went outside the Edifice.
(b) He was taught to carve wood by a blind man.
(c) He was locked in his room when he was a little boy.
(d) He was taught to read by a blind man.
4. Where do Thomas and Kira sit during the singing of the Ruin song?
(a) In the front row with the crowd.
(b) In their rooms.
(c) On the stage near the Worship-object.
(d) Behind the stage until it is their turn to move.
5. What is being constructed for Kira at the beginning of Chapter 15?
(a) A weaver's shed.
(b) A place to instruct the girls of the village.
(c) A new cott.
(d) A place to grow and process the plants used in dye making.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Matt's brother, where has Matt gone?
2. What comment does Jo have in Chapter 16 about the songs she sings?
3. How is Jo supposed to contact Thomas if she needs help?
4. What does Jamison expect Kira to tell everyone with her needle and thread?
5. How does the Ruin song begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kira cry after returning from Jo's room at the end of Chapter 16?
2. How have the words of the Ruin song been distorted over time?
3. Describe Thomas, Kira, and Matt's exploration of the lower floor of the Edifice.
4. How does Kira spend her rainy day in Chapter 12?
5. What does Kira find suspicious about Jo's situation, and why?
6. How does Kira react when Jamison refuses to allow her to watch over Annabella's body in the Field of Leaving?
7. Describe the village Matt encountered on his journey to find "blue".
8. Who is the blind man and what is his significance in the story?
9. What is Jamison's role in the attack on Christopher?
10. Describe Kira and Thomas' visit to Jo in Chapter 16.
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)