|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What area do Kira and Thomas pass as they look for Matt in Chapter 17?
(a) The weaver's shed.
(b) The potter's shed.
(c) Kira's old cott.
(d) The Field of Leaving.
2. What unusual sound does Kira hear at the beginning of the Ruin song ceremony?
(a) A soft buzzing.
(b) An electronic beeping.
(c) A metallic scraping.
(d) An echoing ring.
3. Who walks through a storm to visit Kira?
(a) Matt and Branch.
4. What is unusual about Christopher's village?
(a) It is populated by injured people from other villages.
(b) Everyone, even the women, can read.
(c) It is populated by artisans and keepers of history.
(d) It is protected by the beasts of the woods.
5. What "small" gift does Matt bring to Kira in Chapter 20?
(a) A bundle of white threads.
(b) A scrap of blue cloth.
(c) A blue flower.
(d) A bundle of blue threads.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jamison tell Kira in Chapter 14?
2. What is Matt's "big" gift for Kira in Chapter 21?
3. What is the atmosphere in the Council Edifice as people gather for the singing of the Ruin song?
4. What political office was Kira's father to be appointed to before his "death"?
5. What does Thomas recall from his childhood in the Edifice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kira find suspicious about Jo's situation, and why?
2. Describe the Fen.
3. What does Matt's journey through the woods reveal?
4. How does Thomas demonstrate his mischievous side and surprise Kira in Chapter 15?
5. How are Kira, Thomas, and Jo treated during the Gathering ceremony?
6. How does Kira spend her rainy day in Chapter 12?
7. What is suspicious about Annabella's death?
8. What is Jamison's role in the attack on Christopher?
9. How have the words of the Ruin song been distorted over time?
10. What does Thomas claim to have heard in Chapter 12 and how do the children react to his claim?
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)