|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who visits Kira after lunch on her first day in the Edifice?
2. What does Matt cover his body with in Chapter 10?
(a) Swamp grass.
3. What object comforts Thomas?
(a) A bit of wood he carved as a child.
(b) The Singer's staff.
(c) The embroidered scrap of cloth.
(d) A wooden toy carved by his father.
4. What does Jamison question Kira about in Chapter 5?
(a) Her friend, Matt.
(b) Her skills and the training she received from her mother.
(c) Her knowledge of reading and writing.
(d) Her memories of her father.
5. Who are the tenders?
(a) Servants who care for the orphans in the Edifice.
(b) Acolytes who participate in religious ceremonies.
(c) Boys training to be Guardians.
(d) Young boys who tend the flocks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Kira's father in Chapter 1?
2. What does Kira harvest from her mother's garden in Chapter 9?
3. Where do the women of the village plan to take Kira?
4. Which character is waiting for Kira during the trial's lunch break in Chapter 4?
5. What is brought to Kira's room on her first morning in the Edifice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Since Kira, as a woman, is forbidden to learn to read or write, how does she study Annabella's lessons?
2. Describe what is known about the character Annabella by the end of Chapter 8.
3. Describe Kira's home after she returns from the Field of Leaving.
4. What are Kira's options for defense during the trial?
5. What is the significance of the bar of soap in Chapter 10?
6. Describe what readers know about Kira after reading Chapter 1.
7. What is the role of the tenders?
8. Describe what is known about the character Thomas by the end of Chapter 7.
9. What defense does Jamison give in Kira's trial?
10. What are Kira's plans now that both her parents are dead?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)