|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to local law, who may be appointed to defend Kira?
(a) A family member.
(b) A council member.
(c) Any male villager over the age of 18.
(d) A friend.
2. In Chapter 11, what frightens Kira as she walks to Annabella's house?
(a) The howl of the wind.
(b) The growl of a beast.
(c) The whine of a child.
(d) The darkness of the forest.
3. What does Matt fear Kira might be while living in the Edifice?
(a) A servant.
(b) A mistress.
(c) A prisoner.
4. What is Kira's job in the Edifice?
(a) To embroider the Singer's cloak.
(b) To repair the Singer's hat.
(c) To repair and maintain the Singer's robe.
(d) To knit the Ruin Singer a new stole.
5. What warning does Jamison give Kira about traveling in the woods?
(a) Avoid the blue flowers.
(b) Always travel with someone else.
(c) Travel only during the day.
(d) Stay on the path.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits Kira after lunch on her first day in the Edifice?
2. Why do Vandara and the other women think Kira is useless?
3. What other object of her mother's does Kira find in Matt's bundle?
4. Who is waiting for Kira inside the Edifice in Chapter 6?
5. Who is Thomas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the confrontation between Vandara and Kira in Chapter 2.
2. What warning does Matt give Kira in Chapter 1?
3. What accusations does Vandara bring against Kira before the Council of Guardians?
4. What wisdom is apparent in the Council's decision in Chapter 5?
5. How does Kira react to the indoor plumbing in her room?
6. What does Matt manage to save from Kira's cott before it is burned?
7. Describe Kira's experience with the beasts in Chapter 11.
8. Describe Vandara.
9. Describe the customs surrounding death in Kira's society.
10. Describe what readers know about Kira after reading Chapter 1.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)