|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kira do when she is threatened by Vandara and the other women in Chapter 2?
(a) She runs and hides in Matt's cott.
(b) She hides in the Council Edifice.
(c) She claims her right to a hearing before the Council of Guardians.
(d) She fights back with a stone knife.
2. What does Kira harvest from her mother's garden in Chapter 9?
(a) Onions, to make yellow.
(b) The rest of her carrots and potatoes.
(c) Plants used to create dyes.
(d) Flowers for making blue dye.
3. In Chapter 11, what frightens Kira as she walks to Annabella's house?
(a) The growl of a beast.
(b) The howl of the wind.
(c) The darkness of the forest.
(d) The whine of a child.
4. Who is Kira thinking of as she drifts off to sleep in her new bed in the Edifice?
(a) Her future.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her mother.
5. Why does Kira decide to visit Annabella?
(a) To learn the process of dyeing cloth.
(b) Because Annabella is her grandmother.
(c) To find her father.
(d) To learn the secrets of the Guardians.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where will the weaver with the broken arm probably be sent?
2. What does Kira eat the evening she returns from the Field of Leaving?
3. Why doesn't Kira look at the list of names Thomas writes down?
4. What does Kira plan to do in Chapter 1 once she returns to the home she shared with her mother?
5. What is the Ruin Song?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the customs surrounding death in Kira's society.
2. Describe Kira's experience with the beasts in Chapter 11.
3. How is Kira's embroidered scrap of cloth and Thomas' carved piece of wood similar?
4. What defense does Jamison give in Kira's trial?
5. Describe Kira's home after she returns from the Field of Leaving.
6. Describe Vandara's appearance and demeanor during the trial in Chapter 3.
7. What wisdom is apparent in the Council's decision in Chapter 5?
8. What accusations does Vandara bring against Kira before the Council of Guardians?
9. How is Matt's relationship with Branch similar to his friendship with Kira?
10. Describe Kira's scrap of cloth. Why does she keep it near her?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)