|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kira plan to do in Chapter 1 once she returns to the home she shared with her mother?
(a) Salvage anything not taken by the villagers.
(b) Pack her belongings and search for her father.
(c) Unpack her loom and begin weaving.
(d) Salvage anything not destroyed by the fire and rebuild her home.
2. Who is waiting for Kira inside the Edifice in Chapter 6?
3. What is the Ruin Song?
(a) The oral history of Kira's people that is sung annually.
(b) The song sung by the men while they are on the Great Hunt.
(c) The oral history of Kira's people that is sung every decade.
(d) A song sung during the weekly religious ceremony.
4. Where is Kira's father in Chapter 1?
(a) At the cott.
(b) Hunting with the other men.
(c) Missing and presumed dead.
(d) In the Council Edifice.
5. How did Thomas become an orphan?
(a) Both of his parents died on a hunt.
(b) His mother was killed by lightning and his father on a hunt.
(c) His mother abandoned him on the steps of the Edifice.
(d) Both of his parents were killed by lightning.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kira decide to go on her first morning in the Edifice?
2. What is Kira's job in the Edifice?
3. What does one tender assist Kira with on her first morning in the Edifice?
4. Why do the villagers regard Kira with contempt?
5. Who is Kira thinking of as she drifts off to sleep in her new bed in the Edifice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What warning does Matt give Kira in Chapter 1?
2. Describe Kira's scrap of cloth. Why does she keep it near her?
3. What wisdom is apparent in the Council's decision in Chapter 5?
4. How does Kira react to the indoor plumbing in her room?
5. What are Kira's plans now that both her parents are dead?
6. Why do the women in the weaver's shed offer Kira a position at the loom?
7. Why does Jamison bring out the Singer's robe and question Kira about her embroidery skills?
8. How does Kira react to Matt's decision to join the hunt?
9. Describe the customs surrounding death in Kira's society.
10. What type of living conditions is Kira used to before she moves to the Edifice?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)