|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Kira thinking of as she drifts off to sleep in her new bed in the Edifice?
(b) Her father.
(c) Her future.
(d) Her mother.
2. What does Kira do when Vandara and the village women leave?
(a) She throws a rock.
(b) She runs away.
(c) She cries.
(d) She makes plans for the future.
3. What does one tender assist Kira with on her first morning in the Edifice?
(a) The maze of hallways in the Edifice.
(b) Finding her way to the kitchen.
(c) The daily ceremonial rituals.
(d) The operation of the bathroom.
4. Who is Thomas?
(a) A boy Kira's age who also lives in the Edifice.
(b) Jamison's arch rival.
(c) A young tender.
(d) One of the Guardians.
5. What is brought to Kira's room on her first morning in the Edifice?
(a) Bolts of brightly colored cloth.
(c) Work tools.
(d) Pots of dye.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kira calm her nerves during the trial?
2. According to village custom, what happens to a person's property once he or she dies from illness?
3. Who are the tenders?
4. What has Matt never been given?
5. What verdict does the Council of Guardians render about Kira's case?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jamison bring out the Singer's robe and question Kira about her embroidery skills?
2. What does Matt manage to save from Kira's cott before it is burned?
3. How does Kira react to the indoor plumbing in her room?
4. Describe what readers know about Kira after reading Chapter 1.
5. Describe the confrontation between Vandara and Kira in Chapter 2.
6. What wisdom is apparent in the Council's decision in Chapter 5?
7. Why do the women in the weaver's shed offer Kira a position at the loom?
8. How does Matt attempt to help Kira during the trial?
9. What accusations does Vandara bring against Kira before the Council of Guardians?
10. What realization do Kira and Thomas come to about the beasts in Chapter 11?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)